How to download the 3DS Ambassador Games

Get free NES games by following ten simple steps. Includes screenshots!

The 3DS Ambassador Program is live in the UK. That means you can download 10 NES games for free now. Here's how to do it...

It's not as simple as you might think. If you bought your 3DS and connected to the eShop before 12 August you may have expected to see a big 3DS Ambassador Program logo on your 3DS homepage this morning. Yet there was nothing. You see, these games are hidden in the eShop and you have to click on options that don't make sense. Follow this guide to get the games...

Step One

Go the 3DS eShop on your homepage

Step Two

Okay, you're in. Now you need to scroll all the way over to the left.

Step Three

Click on the 'Settings/Other' option

Step Four

Now you need to scroll down a bit until you see the 'Titles You've Downloaded' option. We know, you're thinking 'But I haven't downloaded them yet!' This is what you have to do though...

Step Five

Scroll down until you see Super Mario Bros., the first of the NES games on the list. Now you click on 'Redownload'. 'But I haven't downloaded it in the first place' We know...

Step Six

That makes more sense. It's downloading...

Step Seven

Downloaded! Now you can either continue shopping and download more NES games or, if you can't wait, play Super Mario Bros. on your 3DS.

Step Eight

The game will appear on your 'Home' menu just like all the other games you've downloaded. Click on it to play it.

Step Nine

It's just as we remember it. Brilliant! Just so you know, these games aren't 3D Classics. Therefore there is no 3D action.

Step Ten

We've played Super Mario Bros. for a bit. Now it's back to the eShop to download Metroid. You have to download these games one at a time. Don't forget to download your Ambassador Certificate at the bottom of the list to receive notification when the GBA games become available.

That's how to do it. Let us know if you've downloaded any of these games yet. What are you playing?

Here's our 3DS Ambassador Games verdict.

Comments

1. nick_gc Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 09:55

Can't deny it's an absolute shocker of an interface.

2. Hylian_Grouch Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 10:01

yep, i just downloaded them before i have to go to work. metroid will keep me busy in my lunch break! thankyou nintendo...

3. reeesy Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 10:04

Easy enough! Just downloaded, SMB, Zelda 1 & 2 and Metroid. Should keep me occupied for a while! :) What a great line up!

4. gregan25 Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 10:10

my 3ds is broken and im waiting for club nintendo to get there act together as it wont let me log into my account to send off my 3ds... im still hoping i can do this when its fixed as i would just wait and get the red 3ds instead.

5. kirby711 Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 10:25

Well I've downloaded Super Mario Bros. and am downloading the rest. Fairly odd for this to be the method to obtain the games.

6. thelinkmaster91 Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 10:31

They could have made the interface a lot better but alas we've got the games. Happy Ambassador day everyone :)

7. BDT87 Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 10:35

Just woke up, now checking it out. Just downloaded Super Mario Bros. Not sure if I will be playing with them a lot as I have played majority of these game so much, even tho it's nice to have on here.

8. Joe_Crow Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 10:41

Can't deny it's an absolute shocker of an interface.

True. A one button download for all of them on the Ambassador Certificate program would be so much easier. No idea why they did it this way. Still, fantastic games. I'm starting with the ones I haven't played before, Mario and Yoshi, DK Jr. and Wrecking Crew :)

9. Xikelle Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 10:52

So that's why... earlier this morning I woke up restless, I had at least hoped to find some kind of Spotpass notification or something in the news section. I'd been wondering if there was a certain time when it gets updated. Well I'll head off to the eshop right now, thank you very much for the much needed guidance. Zelda and Metroid here I come.

10. TheRedPlumber Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 10:56

Can't say it's exactly that user friendly... Either way, I'll download them when I get home.

11. dudettecolette Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 10:57

Downloaded them before going to work this morning :) yaaay this is so awesome!

12. The_Legend_not Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 11:54

Why is Zelda 1 so hard?

13. Sonic56 Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 12:00

downloaded zelda 1 and SMB and they are both great games, getting the others now

14. Toastie Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 12:02

The reason why it's not very user friendly is that Nintendo edited the data of the 3DS to show that it used to have those games but they have been deleted. It's a very odd way of doing it, but oh well. I'm off to download the games~

15. cyanpikmin123 Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 12:46

What a dissapointment, i am very dissatisfied with the old games. They are not even worth 5 quid, never mind 65 quid (The price difference if i had bought the 3DS now!). They are just giving us games that no one wants or even plays anymore, thinking this is a good way to compensate.

Well, they can think again, give us all the 3D Classics (When they are available) or Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 with Luigi's Mansion 2 (When they are released of course!) and we are sorted Nintendo!

16. DudeElLoco Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 12:49

Whoops, I forgot to download the Ambassador certificate :(

It should still be there to download shouldn't it. I downloaded four NES games, SMB, Metroid, DKJr & Ice Climber.

17. ARWING64 Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 12:55

Bit of weird way to download them but I got them with ease; thank you Nintendo!!!

18. chojin Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 13:06

im in Turkey at the mo, so unsure if it can get them. i got a connection error when i tried the the E Shop. ill give it another go.
    its hot her. phew.

19. CyberGW Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 13:17

I think it's really cool the way you have to download it!
    It's like the 3DS has secretly been download all of these games without you knowing! :D

20. RaidingRaichu Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 13:26

Just finished Metroid again.. I seem to have gotten worse.... About 2 and a half hours, I remember when I got 52 mins..... Ahhhh Nostalgia...

21. Teeko Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 13:27

Thank you for the walkthrough, much appreciated, though what a weird way to get the games! Still, they are all downloaded on my 3DS and ready to play now! :D

22. Dertdood Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 13:34

Just in case we are literally that stupid

23. Turboman Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 14:06

The first five NES games revealed were great (bar DK Jr.) and the next five revealed were pretty bad. My dream list:

Super Mario Bros
    Super Mario Bros 2
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Donkey Kong
    Balloon Fight
    Ice Climbers
    The Legend of Zelda
    Adventure of Link
    Kirby's Adventure
    Metroid

24. Darkmaster118 Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 14:42

downloaded them all but a bit disapointed that there is no megaman

25. tomutwit Thursday 1st Sep 2011 at 17:54

THAT IS NOT WORTH 60 ODD QUID!!! IF THEY WERE A POUND EACH I WOULDFNT BUY THEM!!!

26. DudeElLoco Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 12:39

Whoops, I forgot to download the Ambassador certificate :(

It's OK, I managed to download my Ambassador Certificate later that day & another 4 games: Balloon fight, Mario & Yoshi, Wrecking Crew & the Golf. Not intending to download the Zelda games. I know I'm entitled to them but I don't like Zelda games. At all. Even Ocarina.

27. Nina-P Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 12:48

I'm Really Happy About Getting My NES Games, But I Just Wish You Could Do Like On The Ipod Touch Where You Drag Two Things Together And Make A Folder, So It would be more Tidy.

28. JakeJayLee Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 16:02

I saw something about before 12th of August? Just got my 3DS today and I got all the free games! Very happy. It does tell you the same thing in the Shop News BTW.

29. Fubz Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 22:33

Amazing :D Thanks for the tips! Keep up the great work guys 8)

30. bambikoeke Saturday 3rd Sep 2011 at 14:39