Slippy Toad could have been even more annoying

Why Nintendo changed his dialogue

We love Star Fox 64 3D but as we said in our review in ONM 72, Slippy Toad still sounds like a rubbish eight year-old. Well, according to Star Fox scriptwriter Mitsuhiro Takano, the toad that everyone loves to hate could have been even more annoying. He might have said 'ribbit' after every sentence.

Loading video...

During the latest Iwata Asks Star Fox 64 coordinator Yusuke Amano reminisced about the voice acting.

"What made an impression on me with regard to the voices was how much Slippy talks," he said before Miyamoto butted in with a "Ribbit, ribbit."

Turns out that Slippy Toad originally said ribbit after speaking. How annoying would that have been? However, Nintendo saw sense.

Over to Takano to explain: "He doesn't say "Ribbit!" (laughs) At first, though, he did say things like, "Do something, ribbit!" but Miyamoto-san said it wasn't cool, so I took it out."

Sounds like a wise decision.

Star Fox 64 3D will be released next week.

Comments

1. CyberGW Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 09:28

LOL! Ribbit is now the new over for walkie talkies!
    Even though it would have been really annoying, I'm glad you've told me that because it would sound real cool in a real life army war
    'I'm being shot, ribbit! Help me or I might die, ribbit!'

2. j.campbell3 Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 09:32

good move next time just take out slippy

3. DomkeyKong Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 10:00

Slippy kinda sounds like Tails now... But I think having Slippy in there will keep your anger levels high, just try not to shoot him...

4. JoeOdranDoran Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 10:18

You know what, it just wouldn't be Star Fox without Slippy.

5. Badger Burner Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 10:32

slippys awsome :D and I don't find him annoying at all ....

6. Starman64O Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 10:39

I agree with all of above, Slippy is like Tails, the Inventor who is smart but annoying... very annoying (I admit, Tails is starting to get better, deeper voice and all, don't get me started on the complaining he did back in Sonic Heroes....uugh). But Slippy, irritating as he is, acts as the Comic relief, Fox is way too serious, Peppy is boring (except for his famous line... 'DO A BARREL ROLL!'), Falco is sarcastic, but cocky. Slippy, high pitched, says funny stuff, and, most importantly, gives us the excuse to go down to that awesome desert planet and try out the Landmaster for the first time, and you have to admit, LANDMASTER FTW!

I want him, along with Luke, Diddy Kong and Tingle to be in the next Smash Bros, they may not be good characters, but they would make great Punchbags!

7. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 10:55

What's with all the Slippy hate? He's useful in the game since he brings up the bosses health...now only if Navi did that.

8. ledreppe Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 12:16

I like the way it it, but "ribbit" after every sentence would have sppoiled it for me, glad Miyamoto-san saw some sense.

9. allanironmaiden Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 14:23

i wonder how many people will start putting that at the end of their posts

ribbit!

10. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 15:12

i wonder how many people will start putting that at the end of their posts

ribbit!

I sense a new meme.

Ribbit!

11. imbusydoctorwho Friday 2nd Sep 2011 at 21:26

Slippy talks like a girl in this game,are you sure Slippy a male toad? :wink:

12. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Saturday 3rd Sep 2011 at 00:38

After playing Assault I am sure he's a boy

Ribbit

13. Samster296 Saturday 3rd Sep 2011 at 21:41

Slippy is a very annoying character in Lylatwars, he always get chased by enemy ships. The worse thing is, he sounds even more annoying than he did in Lylatwars. But, I guess you can't have a Star Fox game without Slippy. :D

14. Starman64O Wednesday 7th Sep 2011 at 19:24

Slippy must be like Luke ,ribbit. He's a boy but sounds like a girl ,ribbit. It's a good job he didn't say ribbit after every sentence, ribbit? Honestly, i suppose ribbit would get on anyone's nerves, ribbit. Maybe he's the descendant of Jenny The Frog Girl from Chibi Robo? It's always possible... ribbit?

RIBBIT!

15. Steno1 Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 13:18

Slippy's not the bad from what i've seen, mind i haven't been on any Star Fox games. We'll soon see on the 9th Sep what Toady has for us.