First Monster Hunter 3DS screenshots, gameplay details

Discover more about Capcom's 3D monster battler

Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best looking Wii games and judging by these first Monster Hunter Tri 3G screenshots, Capcom hasn't let the quality slip on 3DS.

These images - taken from the official Monster Hunter 3DS site - show some of the monsters you'll be able to battle in the game, including the cover star - Brakidos.

Andriasang report that the yellowy green substance on his forehead and front legs explodes after a certain amount of time. It also headbutts its opponents. Vistors to the Tokyo Games Show this month will be able to take him on in one of three playable quests.

You'll have 12 weapons at your disposal though, all of which can be used in the underwater areas. The bowgun that appeared in Tri will be streamlined and divided into 'light' and 'heavy' categories.

Before setting out on your battle missions, you'll be stationed at Tanzia Harbor, a crucial trade route hub. Tanzia is known as an oasis for sea goers.

As for the all-important controls, you can play the game with just the Circle Pad and buttons or you can use the touchscreen for some hunting functions. As revealed yesterday, you'll also be able to use the 3DS Circle Pad attachment.

The Target Camera panel is housed on the touchscreen and by pressing the L button, you'll turn to face the large beast you're currently fighting. Turn it off, and the camera will be positioned behind your back.

Monster Hunter 3DS was announced yesterday.

What do you think of the first screenshots? Let us know by commenting below.

Comments

1. nintentom Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 09:56

Wow! looks amazing!

2. triforce-manc Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 10:08

Looks amazing, not confirmed anywhere but Japan though...having said that, they would be fools not to release it outside of Japan

3. JackKuchiki Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 10:15

I've been somewhat doubtful of Nintendo lately with regards to the future of the 3DS... All this talk about a possible redesigned 3DS makes it all so uncertain!

However, this game looks amazing. As long as I can get my paws on this and Animal Crossing, I'd say my 3DS was definitely worth buying :3

4. TomMc92 Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 10:22

The 3Ds's future is secure with top quality titles like this and MGS 3D. I couldnt care if it is just MH3 with new monsters adn weapons. Any monster hunter is a good monster hunter. And not forgetting in 3D gonna be one of my most wanted.

5. SteveSalmon999 Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 10:28

Looks great. I love that the colours seem a bit more vivid as apposed to the earthy tones of the wii version :D

6. Dan-the-Wii-man Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 10:47

Is this a new game or just a remake?

7. JamieRIOT Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 11:18

I got MHTri when it came out on Wii, but just didn't really have the time to put into it to enjoy it. I will definitely be trying again with this 3DS version. I love 3DS! :)

8. light_goose Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 12:00

ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG!!!!!! I am soooooooo excited! I really wanted this game for the wii but I couldn't get it so now I dfinally can! It'll work really well no the 3ds as well because you can just pick it up and play anywhere and it'll be really easy t meet people =]

9. lrwr14 Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 12:10

Looks like cha cha has a friend, I guess it's the same as having two felynes like in MHP3rd.

Bad news, Snow from capcom has said that there are no plans to bring it to the west for now. BTW Snow works at capcom, just can't remember what he does. hopefully we will get it.

10. Havak Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 12:22

Wow, I'm impressed with the graphics. They at least match the Wii version and I see that the second cricle pad is indeed optional, like it probably will be for every game. So all the people complaining can shut up for now. I just hope we get this in Europe, it'd be silly if we didn't.

11. shuff Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 13:01

Intriguing. - Two Cha Cha's?
    This looks essential, for me.
    I'll have to prise my wife away from Ocarina, first.
    She's doing the Master Quest for the THIRD TIME, now!
    - enough is enough. :)

12. Ezlo Minish Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 13:07

How many times can I say 'DO WANT' in one post before it becomes spam?
    This looks amazing <3

13. yubel Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 13:26

This is how I imagined it would look, but I'm still surprised by it's actual appearance. Graphically, these screens look really lush and vibrantly colourful for the 3DS.

I'm also now even more anxious to see how it'll look in 3D.

14. greycloud007 Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 13:40

Looks good, will tie me over until mhp3rd either comes out for the psp,vita or ps3 :)

15. CyberGW Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 14:22

It's stupid that the screenshot on the 3DS doesn't show the Circle Pad attachment, it's like they're not greatful for the item Nintendo made specially for them! :lol:

16. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 14:35

Looks fantastic,I just hope it gets a UK release.

17. lemon003 Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 15:11

This'll definitely come out over here, I mean just look at Tri's sales for gods sakes.

18. bobinatr Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 15:23

Yeah but it wont be here for a while yet. Its been around a year sine portable 3rd came out on the PSP in Japan and still has no European release date

19. allanironmaiden Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 15:43

TO GO WITH THE REST....IT LOOKS AMAZING. DEFINITELY A GAME THAT WILL BE A SURE PURCHASE, IT'LL BE PRETTY HARD FOR THEM TO SCREWM THIS UP AFTER THE WII SUCCESS

20. HughPR Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 17:54

Looks pretty ace. I could never get into the Wii version, just because I don't really like single player (I know there was a lot of multi, but I rarely play online) games on the Wii. Zelda just happens to be an exception, but the others are multiplayer. Probably will buy though, since OoT and SSF4 are the only games I have for 3DS atm, and I rarely play the latter,

21. ArmouredSwampert Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 18:34

Gah, now I need to finish MHFU on the PSP before this comes out.

22. Xikelle Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 18:35

I'm glad that you don't need the peripheral to play this. This is definitely one to watch out for news of.
    If they're saying they currectly have no plans to release it over here, well it is early days still, right? Operation Rainfall were told at one point that there were no plans to release Xenoblade chronicles and the others in the US and now it's entirely possible. People can change their minds.
    Also, while I was looking up stuff about Monster hunter Tri (which I might still get) I heard there wasn't a lock-on system, and looking at the screenshots, well it looked like there could be one in this case, or I might be mistaken and it's just a crosshair for aiming one of the longer ranged weapons.

23. linkfinity Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 18:47

onm, please can you ask capcom for some (exclusive?) 3d screenshots? so we can see this game in 3d on our 3ds browsers.

24. TheRedPlumber Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 19:22

Those screenshots are nice I suppose. But you know what would make me even happier?

If Nintendo let us play it on a Flare Red 3DS.

25. lrwr14 Thursday 8th Sep 2011 at 19:39

If you want to see what it will look like go to this site
    http://gbatemp.net/t287178-3ds-3d-scree ... ames?&st=0

And click on the "normal pack list" to show a drop down of games, then look for monster hunter tri and download them and put them on your 3DS. It's the closest you'll get till MH3G comes out.

26. master sword Friday 9th Sep 2011 at 08:31

looks interesting, here's hoping it'll be released over here in the west (we know how dependable capcom have been with their recent releases -.-)

27. ArmouredSwampert Friday 9th Sep 2011 at 12:25

In this game, pressing a button will focus the camera on whatever large monster you're fighting. This won't work for small stuff like raptors though. There are crosshairs when aiming down a Bowgun's scope, though.

28. Xikelle Friday 9th Sep 2011 at 19:42

I would have thought that in the case of tougher battles against larger monsters would be when you would benefit from that kind of thing more. The fact that it only focuses on larger monsters would mean that any smaller creatures in the area aren't so likely to get in the way I would think. Definitely sounds good to me.

29. ArmouredSwampert Friday 9th Sep 2011 at 20:05

I've been playing the game for a good while without a lockon feature, so I've gotten used to playing it without the luxury of a lock-on. You don't really need if you're good tbh.

30. otakufan1122 Friday 9th Sep 2011 at 21:21

amazing.

31. lrwr14 Saturday 10th Sep 2011 at 17:05

A lock on will ruin the game. A lot of fans (like me) aren't very happy with that. The next thing they'll do is add a life bar :roll:

32. link982 Sunday 11th Sep 2011 at 12:12

I never get around to getting Monster Hunter on the Wii, would probably buy it for the 3DS.

33. RiksilveR Sunday 11th Sep 2011 at 18:46

Me want this game. Me want now.
    NYAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

that, my friends, is the sound of game-lust.

34. Eragon Firesword Monday 12th Sep 2011 at 00:05

Yippee!!! A targeting system! Exactly what Monster Hunter needs. Maybe I can finally convince that mate of mine to buy a 3DS...