Nintendo: Why Star Fox 64 3D isn't online

Yusuke Amano explains all

Nintendo's Yusuke Amano has explained the reasons behind the lack of an online mode in Star Fox 64 3D.

Loading video...

In an interview with Official Nintendo Magazine, the man in charge of co-ordinating game development between Q-Games and Nintendo told fans why the fun multiplayer mode is not playable online.

"Personally, I play a lot of online FPS games," began Amano. "This leads me to think that just making multiplayer parts of existing games playable online isn't enough to create a satisfying experience for users. The popular online games work in lots of things, so they play well online - and if we wanted to satisfy everyone who bought the game, the costs required for including online support would be vast."

Yet it wasn't just a matter of cost. There was also a time issue and the developers decided to prioritise the 3D visuals over online play.

"For this project what we needed to do was use Star Fox to provide users with a game that shows the appeal of Nintendo 3DS as quickly as possible. We put a lot of effort into the graphics, and if we had included online support then we couldn't have reached this level in the time allowed."

Having said that, Amano wouldn't rule out the possibility of online play in a future Star Fox game. "We didn't cut any corners for the multiplayer mode in this game. We did lots of experimentation for the normal wireless local multiplayer and included lots of new features. Working on the multiplayer part was a nice, satisfying challenge, and if I get the chance to work on another Star Fox title, I would definitely consider an online multiplayer mode."

Star Fox 64 3D is still a brilliant game without the multiplayer mode. Read our Star Fox 64 3D review to find out why.

You can read the full interview with Yusuke Amano in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale tomorrow.

Comments

1. Beyond Birthday Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 11:42

I don't feel that's a valid excuse.

2. SimplePlan2k8 Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 11:44

Why is it that on most obviously online multiplayer games Nintendo always shuffle out an excuse which isn't really valid...

It's a shame, that was the deciding factor in me not buying it :(

3. KinGamer Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 11:50

Having online as an option never hurt anyone. Sure it may be expensive, but the vast majority of people (including myself) were looking forward to online play.

I don't really understand what his point is either, to be honest. He says that playing online FPS games "leads me to think that just making multiplayer parts of existing games playable online isn't enough to create a satisfying experience for users."

...Why wouldn't it be satisfying to play online if you're having so much fun with it offline / locally?

4. Jedi_jester Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 12:08

This just shows that the need to take online more seriously. If they team cant do graphics and online, then they need another team that concentrates only on online. I just hope Wii U games and future 3DS games don't go without online.

5. trumper40 Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 12:12

Idiots.

6. ledreppe Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 12:22

After playing this game, I felt that 94% in ONM a couple of issues back is too much. In fact I don't think it deserves a Gold award either, 89% at the most.

7. olrodlegacy Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 13:04

A huge opportunity missed due to sheer laziness. It's 2011. Online in games such as this is a must. I'm still pondering getting the game, but will more than likely wait until Christmas to avoid having to fork out so much on a game the developers have merely added 3D graphics to.

8. cheatmaster30 Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 13:20

I don't really feel this is a valid excuse, the online multiplayer is much more of an important feature than the graphics being updated is. And as people say, having online as an option hurts no one.

9. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 13:50

I was a missed opportunity,Nintendo could've really went to town with it.
    Online leader-boards for scores in the main game.
    While the Multi-player is quite fun,but playing on my own with just some CPU's for company it's just doesn't feel like your actually playing with someone online,even thought the Al is quite hard.
    I can see where Nintendo are coming from,the lobbies in Command is empty and they were probably worried it would be empty with 64 3D,so they didn't wanted to waste money.
    I'd give Star Fox 64 3D 90%.

10. Mello Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 14:52

Laughable excuse. There are games on the PS3 that don't cost a great deal more that were built from the ground up (rather than being an enhanced port with few functional improvements) and still offer online modes.

For £30 (online) and presumably £30-40 in shops, I think online is the least people could expect from a brand new game, let alone a remake. Basically it cost more than it should while Nintendo were saving extra money by not adding an extra feature that would have allowed a far higher percentage of buyers to get their moneys worth.

Still happy with the game myself (just thought I'd point it out as you wouldn't think it to read this post :P), but Nintendo aren't doing themselves many favours at the moment, because there are only so many content-light games that most people will buy before they get sick of buying them at £30-40 a go. I'm a bit worried about how long the Mario game is gonna be, hopefully it'll be comparable to the likes of Mario 64 and SMG as most of the games so far rely way too heavily on replay value for prices almost matching that of console games.

11. reeesy Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 15:46

Plenty of other games manage great graphics AND multiplayer.
    And in terms of budget, StarFox is one of Nintendo's flagship franchises, so i don't understand why they would be reluctant to invest in it.
    It's a shame as this game would have really benefited from an online mode.

12. ARWING64 Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 16:52

Its a shame but i'm not massively bothered; Star Fox 64 3D is an amazing game without it!!
    Everybody should just be happy that Star Fox is back; but the next Star Fox game should be online.

13. Icytroid1993 Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 17:08

Nintendo are able to create good graphics and online (take Mario kart Wii for example, it has a lag free online service!), its strange that they haven't done so with Starfox :? Lets just hope that Nintendo don't follow this pattern and instead include online in their games more often. I do feel that they had to put the work into the graphics to make them great and to show the 3DS power, because of the competition, the PSVita. But what i don't understand is that they are making Mario Kart 7 with great graphics and a full online multiplayer mode :? However i'm not the type of person to complain, Starfox 64 3D is a brilliant, action packed game! So well done Nintendo, for making sure the game itself was very good! :)

14. TomMc92 Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 17:26

If they really wanted to please everyone they could of just delayed the game i wouldnt of minded waiting a bit longer just so i could play it online but im not fussed that much they'll know to add it into the next starfox at least. But still an amazing game even without wi-fi i do aggree that wifi was needed it would of really lengthned the games life for me. Also i gotta say icy troid thats a very bold statement.

15. hamzahdsi Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 17:50

Excuses, excuses :roll: ...not impressed Nintendo...

16. IPecksU Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 18:23

Can't they add new features via DLC? Even though I'm against paying extra for things that should have already been in the game. I didn't pick this up because my lylatwars works perfectly on the N64 and they added virtually no new features but upped the graphics. I might get it when it's cheaper

17. Samster296 Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 18:25

Star Fox command was online. So why didn't Star Fox 64 3DS have online? It would have been so much fun!

18. HyperBlob1 Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 18:59

they should so make an online star fox game for the U, having the tv screen as the normal view and the pad for stats, points, maps, seeing your friends and falco slippy and peppy giving you messages!

19. superdudemiles Wednesday 21st Sep 2011 at 22:18

I think Nintendo Just wanted the online play in their back pocket to use in the next Starfox game.
    However Starfox3D is really great, i reccommend anyone with a 3DS to pick it up, and i agree the graphic are incredible.

20. MD1500 Thursday 22nd Sep 2011 at 09:50

I hate to say it, but this makes sense.
    Multiplayer on SF64 is boring as hell, and at the moment the 3DS lacks decent games.

21. retrotoad Thursday 22nd Sep 2011 at 10:47

Why is it that the 3DS is lacking in online multiplayer modes? Is it hard to programme for? The huge connectivity potential the 3DS has is not being made use of. I could maybe understand when PES 3D and Ridge Racer lacked online support, as it was probably a sacrifice made to get the game out on launch. But months in, you'd think we'd be seeing more online options.

22. Quantum Raven Thursday 22nd Sep 2011 at 17:19

WILL YOU ALL SHUT UP WHINGING ABOUT ONLINE NOT BEING INCLUDED IN VIDEOGAMES! :x I'M GETTING SICK OF HEARING PEOPLE MOAN ABOUT LACK OF ONLINE IN VIDEOGAMES AND I THINK THAT PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT LACK OF ONLINE IN VIDEOGAMES HAVE FORGOTTEN WHAT GAMING IS ALL ABOUT! I DON'T CARE ABOUT ONLINE IN VIDEOGAMES BECAUSE I WILL NEVER TAKE MY VIDEOGAMES ONLINE AND HERE IN 2011 I WISH THAT ONLINE GAMING HAD NEVER BEEN INVENTED!!! :x I DON'T BLAME NINTENDO OR ANY OF THESE DEVELOPERS WHEN THEY MAKE THE DECISION NOT TO INCLUDE ONLINE IN CERTAIN VIDEOGAMES BECAUSE THEY STILL KNOW WHAT GAMING IS REALLY ALL ABOUT SO I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE MOAN WHEN ONLINE IS AXED FROM VIDEOGAMES BECAUSE IT MAKES ME MAD!!! :x AND AFTER READING SOME OF THE COMMENTS POSTED HERE I AM MAD!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

23. hamzahdsi Thursday 22nd Sep 2011 at 17:35

Calm down mate, im guessing you have never experienced playing a PROPER online game before. Just so you know, there are millions and millions(and growing...) of people who play online each day, so you sound pretty stupid when you say "I WISH THAT ONLINE GAMING HAD NEVER BEEN INVENTED!!! :x"

24. Quantum Raven Thursday 22nd Sep 2011 at 18:01

The reason why I said that I wish online gaming didn't exist is because ever since online was initiated into the gaming world a worryingly large number of people have forgotten what gaming is really all about and want online as standard in every videogame and as an old-school gamer this makes me both sad that the essence of gaming has been forgotten and mad that people want online in every videogame without even thinking about the single player experience (I'm not really old because in about 1.5 months time is my 22nd birthday).

I've never played videogames online and I don't want to (and that PSN crisis recently has further galvanized my decision not to game online) because I don't wan't it to take over my life and instead as an old-school gamer I just want a great single player experience that I can really get stuck into and that is all I ask of the developers when they make videogames, they can put online in if the game would benefit from it with the online faction of the gaming community but it really rubs me up the wrong way when gamers and critics moan when online is excluded from videogames even if the videogame in question wouldn't benefit frrom it and as for me I just care about the single player experience and and I still honour what being a gamer is all about and that is being able to experience the absolute joy of playing a videogame and enjoying the gameplay experience!

25. Icytroid1993 Thursday 22nd Sep 2011 at 21:55

While i agree with you Quantum Raven, online gaming is a great addition to games! I can't even number the amount of hours i've put into Mario Kart Wiis online mode! :) You are completely right though, about gaming. It's about the game itself, the experience, and not online! Thats why i primarily play single player games such as Metroid, Zelda and Tomb Raider, i get sucked into the incredible atmosphere of those games and enjoy the various gameplay styles :) It is a shame that there is a lack of online in Starfox because it's the perfect type of game to host an online service, but its not the end of the world because as a game, Starfox 64 3D is awesome! The majority seem to be far too critical of Starfox because of it's lack of online :( You're right Quantum Raven, appreciate a game for what it is :)

26. retrotoad Friday 23rd Sep 2011 at 11:14

"What gaming is all about"? Gaming is all about having fun and posing a challenge. Entertainment. People play online games because they have fun in doing so and it provides entertainment. They're not being forced to. Yes, I'm an old school gamer too, in fact the NES is my favourite console. I love the simplicity of the games and the challenge they pose. I'm not a huge online fan, but many people enjoy playing online and that's what games are all about. Enjoyment.

27. Icytroid1993 Friday 23rd Sep 2011 at 13:02

Yes! Exactly right! Gaming is entertainment, whether its a single player game or an online multiplayer game :)

28. rachaeln Friday 23rd Sep 2011 at 17:20

i played this game back in the day and it wasn't on-line , i used to have to watch my friend play it for ages before he let me play on it!!
    The point is i AM dissapointed it's not on-line but because of the fond memories i have of the game i bought it. For some people it's a deal breaker not being able to go on-line but to be fair that's not the main game here, sure it would have been nice but if they think the game will sell without it and they can't make enough profit by putting it in, why spend longer on releasing a game ?

29. zapper01 Saturday 24th Sep 2011 at 16:58

Well that's a rubbish excuse.

30. Hisoka Monday 26th Sep 2011 at 00:14

While I agree online gameplay isn't needed for every game, online would have made this better.
    Come on Nintendo, it's the 21st century! Good online capability is usually worth the effort!