Legend Of Zelda 25th anniversary event announced

Zelda Takeover Day at GameCity in October

Another big event has been announced to celebrate the 25th anniversary of The Legend Of Zelda. Yes, on Saturday 29 October, videogame festival GameCity will be hosting the Zelda Anniversary Takeover Day in Nottingham.

Loading video...

It all takes place in Nottingham's Old Market Square which will be transformed into a Hyrulean market village for the day. There you will be able to play The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword before its released on 18 November.

There are plenty of other activities to enjoy, too. You can create your own sword and shield, learn how to play the Ocarina and relax at the LonLon Milk bar. By completing these activities, you'll collect pieces of the Triforce and complete the Hero's Quest.

After you've learnt to play the Ocarina you can join the Ocarina Orchestra and participate in a series of renditions of the most beloved tunes in the franchise. It's worth taking part as you'll get a limited edition Zelda branded ocarina.

GameCity runs from 25 October and in the build up to the Zelda Anniversary Takeover Day, Zelda fans are being invited to contribute to a fanzine. This is a one-off zine created and designed by the public for which you can submit your artwork, poetry, a short story or just a fond memory. A limited run of the fanzine will be printed and made available on the Saturday.

You can also share your love for Zelda by recording a short video diary at the event. Throughout the day the National Videogame Archive will offer fans the chance to record their thoughts, feelings, experiences and fond memories of Zelda.

Finally, you'll have the opportunity to take part in the Zelda Canon Speed Run. GameCity are after six Zelda experts who can complete any game in the Zelda series quickly. If selected, you'll be part of a tag team attempting to complete 15 games in the Legend Of Zelda series beginning with the Legend Of Zelda and ending with Twilight Princess.

You can find out how you can be a part of the team here. It is expected to last over 100 hours!

Will you be going to the Zelda Takeover Day?

Comments

1. Dertdood Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 16:28

what is this i dont even

2. SimplePlan2k8 Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 16:28

That sounds SO awesome! If only Nottingham was nearby :x

3. tohaker Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 16:30

AARRGH why are all these events no where near me!!

4. NickallowBros Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 16:36

There was a cool Zelda area at GAMEfest... It was forest themed & there was a huge Link statue & his bird from Skyward Sword was hanging from the roof. Plus I got a free OoT3D keyring & best of all - A working replica of the ocarina of time! It's a very hard instrument to learn...

5. Hylian_Grouch Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 16:53

perfect. i am moving out of my parents house and moving 150 miles away to live by myself next week. guess where? thats right! nottinghamshire. i shall so totally be there

6. Linkfan42 Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 17:38

I'll hopefully be going. It's my birthday that week, so it'd be an awesome way to celebrate it.

I got the ocarina and keyring too! By the way, that was Zelda's bird. She was riding it too. :P

7. eternalmidnight Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 17:39

Score! I literally just moved to Nottingham for university. Best. Decision. Ever :D XD

8. 3dsgamer Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 17:42

I live in Nottingham! i cant wait for this i want to learn to play the ocarina and play skyward sword becus im getting it for my birthday but my birthday is on monday, so i have to wait ages! cant wait!

9. Nickario Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 17:45

As soon as I can afford it I'm getting my train tickets! I hope there's a chance to buy some rare Zelda merchandise there :D

Wish it coulda been closer to me too though, I think places like Alnwick castle, Durham Cathedral & Castle Square and York city woulda been good places to host a Hyrule type event.

10. Riverlution Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 17:46

I love living in Nottingham all of a sudden

11. dog attack Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 18:13

(starts to cry) :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :( WHYYYYY WHYYYYYYYYY does it HAVE to be there i wanna go waaaaa
    i still COULD go its just a long way away

12. Malice of Yoshi Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 18:19

Sounds like a hoot and a holler, shame its in Nottingham, its a bit of a trek all way from London.

13. Waldy565 Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 18:25

wait nottingham!! YES, IM THERE! well, i used to travel near there every sunday to my aunties so hopefully i can go, thanks ONM! :D

14. Natata Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 18:26

I went to gamefest too but couldn't find any zelda freebees :cry: , this is great and i'm definately going i practically live where it's gonna be held finally a games event in nottingham and a decent one to. :D

15. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 18:58

Words cannot describe how much I wish I could attend this event.

Damn... freaking Nottingham...

16. TheLupineOne Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 19:11

I'll be sure to go to GameCity on Saturday! See you there :D

17. Cybermaster Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 19:30

Guys, calm down, this is the first good thing I've ever got out of living in Nottingham. Can't wait, though. I'll definately be going.

18. Linebeck013 Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 20:21

I'll be going to this, with a couple of friends. Train from Sheffield should be well worth it! What time does it start and finish?

19. Komodo_Wolfgang Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 20:23

OOOOOOHMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD 0.0

IM GOING TO THIS....hoping my dad will give me a lift. I GOTTA GO TO THIS <3

20. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 21:02

Sounds like it could be quite good,I'd like to go,but I don't live anywhere near it.

21. shoobopadooba Tuesday 27th Sep 2011 at 22:00

It's a shame that a lot of people won't be able to get to this event, but it's high time something happened outside of London. Also, I live in Nottingham, which is nice! AHHAHAHA!

22. Eragon Firesword Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 01:32

How much are the entrance tickets? It'd be a bit diffiuclt, and none of my mates are Zelda fans of the die-hard sect enough to go, really... Nottingham's also a bit difficult, since I live in Dunfermline. It seems fun though...

23. Hisoka Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 01:33

Now I'm DEFINITELY going back home from uni for Gamecity!
    I bet a lot of people in the city will think it's something to do with Robin Hood though XD
    I'll make sure to bring my 3DS, possibly my Ocarina if I can find it.

It's Free. Most of Gamecity is free, as it's a festival.

24. Linkyshinks Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 04:59

Nottingham, meh, an event of this sort is better done in London.

25. pokemaster Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 06:24

Live pretty close, so cant wait. :D

26. dog attack Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 06:38

I AM GOING YAYYYYYYYYYYYY :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :mrgreen:
    WE ARE ON HOLIDAY IN NORFOLK SO I CAN GOOOOOO YAYYYYYYYYYYY
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D :D :D :D :D :o :o :o :P :P 8) :mrgreen:

27. ARWING64 Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 07:15

Sounds AMAZING!!! But why are these events so damn far away!

28. chazrinelli Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 08:34

I am definately going!! FINALLY something in Nottingham!!

29. Chibi-robo Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 10:05

That sounds awesome! Finally something near me. Good thing I just started at University of Nottingham :D

30. Medea Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 10:47

Sounds fun but why in a city where first person shooter festival would be more appropriate :P

31. Monika 2011 Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 11:16

I am so going to this Zelda is in my blood and this can make my day any better because i don't live far from nottingham this will be the bestest day ever

32. ninjafox Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 12:47

This sounds amazing! Nottingham is only an hour and a half from where i live so i will certainly be going. I love the Zelda series so to be able to experience a Hylian Market sounds great fun, as does learing to play the Ocarina. I am not able to go to the Zelda 25th anniversary concert so will certainly be making sure i attend this. I already can't wait!!! :D

33. Hisoka Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 13:48

People asking why events are so far away- Nottingham is pretty much right in the middle of England, so travel times for everybody to get there shouldn't be too long. Just be thankful there's an event that's not in London.

34. danbish Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 15:22

Why does things like this never happen where I live? :evil:

35. Kirby8 Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 16:10

I'M SOOOOO TORN! I've just started my second year at good old University Of Nottingham. But I was planning to go home to London that weekend to celebrate Diwali and to go to MCM! I can try and to both....will be CRAZY!!

36. Kirby8 Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 16:11

It's really not. I live in London, but go to Nottingham for University (so live there term time)...I go home at good intervals, not really much of a trek. Two hour train, simple. Take it from someone who does the travel. Trek is an overstatement. It's only the midlands, not North England. :)

37. CopyBot77 Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 16:21

YESSSSS! Guess who lives in Nottingham ;)

38. Poke-uber-power Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 16:27

The 29th October is mt birthday! And I love The Legend of Zelda! LOL!

39. DomkeyKong Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 17:08

Good thing my brother just started university there...

40. Xikelle Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 17:36

Ooh, I am so excited! Will probably be able to get some streetpass hits as well. I'll practice my ocarina playing in preparation. This is an event I actually stand a chance of being able to go to!
    Hopefully I'll be able to submit some poetry and art for the fan-zine too.

41. Otis P Jivefunk Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 18:23

It's about 2 and three quarter hours away from me. Although I've driven there several times, I don't think I'll be going...

42. graveon Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 19:36

Good move going up north but KEEP GOING!!! When will we get something in glasgow :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

43. PeterR Wednesday 28th Sep 2011 at 19:53

thats pretty far but i still plan on trying to go if anyone i know will travel with me. sounds like lots of fun.

44. DeadlyCreature Thursday 29th Sep 2011 at 12:20

Nottingham is nice and central, making it the perfect location for this kind of thing! A better place to have it, though, would be Doncaster - also central, and direct trains from London and Glasgow ;)

I'd love to go but I dont know if I'd be able to make it...

45. Mwurld Friday 30th Sep 2011 at 20:48

Woo, I live just by Nottingham!

46. shinypalkia16 Tuesday 4th Oct 2011 at 16:17

Great... another event that's NOT in Scotland. I can appreciate that England is a bigger country, but when was the last big gaming event to be held in Scotland...? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

47. DarkDeoxys Tuesday 4th Oct 2011 at 20:34

Absolutely going to this :D means i can learn to play the ocarina and get one for free, and get a sword and shield but most of all get to play skyward sword :D

First going to the zelda concert and then on saturday to the hylian market , Best. Week. Ever.

48. funkysi Monday 24th Oct 2011 at 21:51

I think I will try and get myself to this. Should be a good laugh

49. evilpinkdragon Friday 28th Oct 2011 at 09:38

I'll be the one bouncing around in platform boots and purple cat ears.
    Possibly a tail.
    Finally something decent here~!
    See you all there xD

50. Hyahh1504 Thursday 3rd Nov 2011 at 18:13

...Why did I not hear of this before? I live quite near there as well! Why? WHYYY!?

51. evilpinkdragon Friday 4th Nov 2011 at 19:38

You missed out muchly~ D:
    Gamecity's on every year in october half term so make sure to get to the next one n.n