Mario Kart 7: the best game of the series?

Mario's latest racer has us in seventh heaven

The minute you start playing Mario Kart 7 (the new title seems to forget the two arcade games existed) you'll be amazed at how smoothly it runs. The game speeds along at a perfect 60 frames per second in both 2D and 3D modes, and feels like one of the slickest Mario Kart games ever because of it.

Loading video...

The Circle Pad makes handling nice and accurate, and the L and R buttons are used for firing weapons and hopping respectively, the latter handy for going into powerslides.

No Snaking in Mario Kart 7

Speaking of powerslides, it feels different depending on the type of wheels you use. They all make use of the Mario Kart Wii technique (when you hold a slide for a certain length of time a speed boost becomes available).

We've told you before about the different customisation options available in the game, but it's surprising just how much of an effect they have on your kart's handling.

While small wheels make your kart slower off-road and harder to control underwater, they also reduce its weight, letting you float longer in mid-air during the new gliding sections.

Conversely, if you kit your kart out with big off-road wheels their weight means you won't be able to glide so far, but at the same time the greater weight makes it far faster and more stable when driving under the water.

Strategic racing

This means you'll have to think carefully about how you approach each race, since many tracks have diversions that let you head off the main track and plunge underwater or launch into the air.

One track we played featured a bridge with water underneath it. If you've got small wheels you'll want to make sure you don't fall off the bridge, because it's tricky getting through the water. If you've got big wheels, however, it might be a better option to ignore the bridge altogether and drive straight into the drink, which you can get through relatively easily and hit the speed boost waiting at the end of the water.

Similarly, objects found at the side of the road can sometimes fling you into the air, giving those with smaller wheels a chance to take shortcuts by using their additional airtime to glide over parts of the track.

Not that you'll be safe in the air, of course. We can confirm that red shells still work while you're gliding, so if you want to pick off someone flying ahead of you then you can smack them out of the sky with ol' red and send them tumbling down to the road below. Likewise, shells also work underwater, though they travel more slowly, so you'll need to take that into account.

There's no doubt that Mario Kart 7 will be the big Nintendo game this Christmas. And even with a few months to go before its release, it already feels like it will be one of the best games of the series. It's time to start saving those gold coins.

Mario Kart 7 will be released in the UK on 2 December.

Comments

1. jaquester Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 14:43

nice preview but why is the video about super mario 3d land not mariokart 7

2. Lugia Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 14:44

Looks to be amazing. Also funny how theres a Super Mario Land 3D trailer instead of the Mario Kart 7 trailer :D

3. Sharkz1 Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 14:44

Snaking was NOT a cheap tactic. Cheap tactics are blue shells in your face every 30 seconds. All snaking did was seperate the good players from the bad. Without it a first day player could beat a 3 year veteran because of a well placed blue shell. Now that is cheap.

4. TheRexFactor Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 14:53

People hated snaking because it became so widespread and common, it got to the point that there was no point in even bothering to play online if you were unable or unwilling to use it. It was utterly broken. Imagine what a newcomer would think their first time online; they'd be left in the dust without a chance. I dunno about you, but that sounds pretty unappealing to me.

Now of course, item rape is somewhat broken in its own way too, but at least it allows some degree of a level playing field for everyone, which is what Nintendo always strive for: fun for anyone

5. lookathis Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 14:57

So your saying that a 3 year veteran is older then a first day player, therefore the 3 year veteran MUST win no matter what.
    Plus snaking would drive first day players away(no pun intended), since they'd never be able to win

Anyway, away from that, I have a question thats annoyed me since I heard of gliders in Mario kart 7, do you get to choose when you want your glider out or not?

6. roopn Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 15:00

what was snaking, exactly? never really played mkds online.

7. zapper01 Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 15:07

I'm sick of ONM saying games are "the best ___" before it's even out!

8. Beyond Birthday Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 15:27

Snaking was a skill that made MKDS more than item roulette (and if the staff ghosts do it, it's fair game), far more of a problem online were DCers and hackers.

9. KinGamer Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 15:32

what was snaking, exactly? never really played mkds online.

Basically, it's taking advantage of the drifting mechanics in Mario Kart DS which simply required you to do the following:

1. Initiate a drift
    2. As you're drifting, you turn in the opposite direction
    3. Repeat step 2 two more times, and you'll have the maximum charge available
    4. Stop drifting to receive your boost, then immediately repeat step 1 in the opposite direction

This allows you to continuously receive speed boosts from dashing without actually going around any corners. Snaking is the act of drifting on straight roads in a zig-zag pattern (like a snake) whilst being at top-speed at all times. Any player who didn't snake was put at an immediate disadvantage.

10. Fidu Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 18:20

The two arcade titles are obviously spin-offs and should therefore not be counted as part of the main MK-games.

11. SuperLuigiYoshi Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 19:26

here's a handy powersliding tip:
    turning tighter while going round a corner makes it quicker to get a boost!
    try it yourself on MKWii if you want!

12. Targey Monday 10th Oct 2011 at 23:35

"This means snaking - the cheap tactic that was used to ruin the online multiplayer for many people in Mario Kart DS - definitely won't be in Mario Kart 7."

I fail to see how it is a cheap tactic, or how it ruined online multiplayer. I would have thought quitters and hackers ruined it more than a somewhat advanced technique, but hey.

13. Quantum Raven Tuesday 11th Oct 2011 at 08:23

This is completely WRONG! I've never played Mario Kart DS or any videogame online (and I will never play online) but snaking is a hateful tactic in single and multiplayer, I hate snaking mostly because it ruins my thumbs so thank god snaking has been axed. Also this "hackers" rubbish is wrong as well and people are 200% out of order to accuse people of hacking/being hackers when weird times appear on the leaderboard or whatever it is in Mario Kart Wii because there is a glitch in MKWii which means when the clock hits 10 minutes it resets to zero which is also weird how on earth did Nintendo not realize that there was a glitch there in the first place but now that MKWii has long since been released the only thing Nintendo can do is delete iffy times and people lose points if they quit so everyone please stop jumping to conclusions and start seeing the bigger picture and accepting the truth!

14. Quantum Raven Tuesday 11th Oct 2011 at 08:26

I'm sick of ONM saying games are "the best ___" before it's even out!

How dare you! I fully agree with ONM this time because I really think MK7 will be the ultimate Mario Kart!

15. Quantum Raven Tuesday 11th Oct 2011 at 08:34

I think MK7 will be the ultimate Mario Kart. The new characters, karts, items, tracks and features look awesome and it's all in glasses-free 3D how much better can it get! while on the subject of characters Iwouild like to see Rosalina get more playable appearances and I'M hoping she'll be in MK7. this game is going to be the Super Mario Galaxy 2 of the Mario Kart world, that basicly means a game that will top perfection. MK7 is going to be fantastic!

16. alexjones94 Tuesday 11th Oct 2011 at 13:34

Snaking and bikes are out, as long as Chain Chomps don't make a comeback, all the cheap gimmicks are out and it should be brill. Nice to see some new characters who aren't baby versions too, before long we'll have Baby Funky Kong. Actually, that sounds pretty awesome.... :wink:

17. Icytroid1993 Tuesday 11th Oct 2011 at 15:54

I agree that online hackers ruin the game. People who use the snaking tactic also ruin the experience for players who play the game PROPERLY! It just seems that people who use snaking in online Mario Kart DS just want to win at all costs and don't play for the enjoyment of the game. I don't think Nintendo intended people to drift on straights all the way through a race did they? Mario Kart Wii introduced a new drift system that has benefited the gameplay (No more snaking!), and i'm so pleased it's returning in Mario Kart 7! :D I have no doubt that Mario Kart 7 could be the best of the series! :D

18. ZeldaKing Tuesday 11th Oct 2011 at 16:00

I'm sick of ONM saying games are "the best ___" before it's even out!

They aren't... they're leaving it up to you to make your decision. That's why there's a ?

19. shadowlugia101 Monday 17th Oct 2011 at 14:55

i cant wait for this game! sadly though it comes out 1 day after my birthday :(

20. Gaebora Tuesday 18th Oct 2011 at 03:31

I personally don't think snaking is cheating at all.My concerns were blue shell,bikes,character stats,too many item boxes....and hackers who have killed MKWii as an online game for me now...every night there are loads of them either 4TL or 4TW....I hope this problem is addressed with MK7.

21. soopahgamer Friday 28th Oct 2011 at 13:47

Snaking will always be a good feature

why did you take it ofF

WHY NINTENDO WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :?:

22. jednewton Sunday 30th Oct 2011 at 11:48

I see nothing wrong with snaking, if its possible, let people use it, if they can. Let the new players see a learning curve with tactics that they can learn, but maybe have these skills itereted in the instructions so everyone knows what they are and how to use them. If people are skilled enough to snake, they can.

23. Icytroid1993 Sunday 30th Oct 2011 at 12:56

Snaking is just not right. If snaking was supposed to be used then i wonder why Nintendo has changed the drift system in Mario Kart Wii and Mario kart 7? They don't allow you to snake.

24. Quantum Raven Sunday 30th Oct 2011 at 17:41

I agree with Icytroid1993 because I'm very good at Mario Kart but on the odd occasions that I race against my sister on Mario Kart DS she somehow manages to beat me on most races and that is because she snakes and I play properly. Also snaking ruins your thumbs as well as meaning people who play properly will have a snowball's chance in hell against the snakers. I've got the feeling that those people who say snaking is acceptable are actually snakers themselves. I hate snaking so thank god snaking has been axed from MKWii and MK7 and I've got a feeling snaking will be axed from all future Mario Kart installments.

25. zapper01 Sunday 30th Oct 2011 at 21:10

I'm sick of ONM saying games are "the best ___" before it's even out!

But for all you know it could be terrible. Maybe it fires death beams out of the screen if you come in last place.

26. Quantum Raven Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 09:13

Are you nuts zapper01? Are you seriously suggesting that Nintendo would want to kill people who came last? That's ridiculous and you know it and anyway there has never been a terrible Mario Kart game so is only natural that
    I have high hopes for MK7, I like the new features and I seen the new tracks, karts and characters in action and I want it more than ever! Hopefully Nintendo will also please the Rosalina fans by adding Rosalina to the MK7 character roster.

27. Quantum Raven Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 09:24

Why does everyone call people who use the "10 minute" glitch to post weird times in Mario Kart Wii hackers when they havent actully hacked the game because it was confirmed in a 2008 issue of ONM that there is a glitch in MKWii that resets the clock to zero when it hits 10 minutes. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT! :x :x :x :x :x

28. Gaebora Tuesday 1st Nov 2011 at 16:42

There are comments in this section saying that snaking was not in MKWii...hmmm we''ll there is snaking in MKWii...check any Kart (NOT BIKE) world record by say Seboss or Lord Nate (you will find on YouTube) and you will see an awesome display of snaking without compromsing the racing line.Snaking is not bad (perticularly in MKWii where Nintendo idiotically put bikes in and gave them unlimited boost from wheelies) snaking is the only way karters can keep up with Funky lamers on Bowser bikes on tracks like Delfino,N64 Bowsers castle etc.
    Also I will be interested to see I'f snaking has been removed from MK7,because I'f you can drift and get an MT or SMT then why can't you snake it??? I'f snaking has been removed (I will believe it when I try it) its not a problem because no bikes and no cheap wheelies.
    And snaking a kart around GBA Bowser Castle 3 on MKWii is a skill.Period.

29. Icytroid1993 Wednesday 2nd Nov 2011 at 14:25

I'll be honest, i'm sick of people talking about snaking like its okay to do it! It spoils the experience and enjoyment of Mario Kart! :x Gaebora, you say it's a skill to snake around GBA Bowser Castle 3. Try beating a person online who snakes, while playing the game normally without snaking. Now that's skill! It is possible to do it. I don't think snaking will be in Mario Kart 7, ONM have confirmed this :)

30. Gaebora Wednesday 2nd Nov 2011 at 15:43

To make that point you totally missed mine.
    I started of as a auto karter trying to beat snakers and thats why I learnt manual and snaking,now my VR is 9500+ and stays there.
    Snaking makes you go faster,and the aim of the game is to cross the finish line faster than everybody else,am I missing something here :roll:
    I don't see in my Mario Karts manuals 'no snaking,not allowed'.
    And I know plenty of karters that don't snake and they do OK...but all the best players I have raced all use manual and all snake...
    And its a totally stupid position to say snaking is cheating,its not hacking is it??? thats cheating.
    I would call effective snaking gameplay,it helps you win races.And I'f you think that I will play MKWii and let a bike over take me on a long straight doing a wheelie because I won't snake you can forget it.
    31 out of 32 world records on MKWii are held by bikes (worst thing to happen to Mario kart was bikes,thats 'real' cheating) Karts come a close 2nd...and I'f they didn't snake in them the gap would be bigger.But you don't want to snake so anybody else that does it is cheating and blah,blah,blah.
    And I also said that I'f snaking is removed from MK7 thats OK because there are no bikes with cheap wheelies so more of a level playing field.
    When I hear this snaking argument it reminds me of someone bitchin about getting sniped in a FPS because they couldn't see the person to shoot back...!!!
    I'f I can snake in MK7 I will...you don't want to so don't....easy.
    No one writes the rules on Mario Kart and you play to your strengths,but you can't call other people wrong or cheats because they put more effort in to winning...and thats really what this is about.

31. Icytroid1993 Wednesday 2nd Nov 2011 at 23:50

You don't need to be patronizing, a simple point of view would be nice :) Nowhere in my Mario kart manual does it say that snaking is a part of Mario Kart. If snaking was a legitimate part of the game it would be in the manual. I've got to 9000 ranking points myself and i've never snaked. You don't need to snake to win races, what do you think the items are for? They balance things out. It's not reasonable to say that bikes are cheating, they are a part of the game, everyone can play as them :) I also don't think its fair to say snakers put more effort into winning, its more like a 'win at all costs tactic', its not the way Mario Kart should be played, not to me anyway.

32. Icytroid1993 Thursday 3rd Nov 2011 at 11:23

Just wanna apologize for some of the things i say sometimes. I'm sorry if i come across as blunt or a bit harsh, i don't mean to :)

33. Katana Tuesday 8th Nov 2011 at 12:43

This is going to be the best in the series I have no doubts... :D

34. yungkaos Wednesday 9th Nov 2011 at 18:24

Ive never played mariokart online apart from on the wii, but from what i see on these comments, this snaking technique sounds really annoying... :|

35. Icytroid1993 Thursday 10th Nov 2011 at 11:50

It is annoying trust me. It spoils Mario Kart :(

36. Sharkz1 Thursday 17th Nov 2011 at 23:24

I know this is a late reply, but I'm going to make one last comment on regards to snaking. Before I start, I will say I was a huge fan of snaking and it is what, in my opinion, made Mario Kart DS the best Mario Kart to this day.

For anyone that doesn't know, snaking is a technique in which the racer miniboosts throughout the whole track, even the straightaways, making the karts path similar to the way a snake moves, hence the name snaking.

Usually the preference of snaking comes from your playstyle, whether you get your enjoyment by pure heated competition, or if you get it by a more casual but still competitive method. I'm a player who gets his enjoyment by playing the most competitive way I can. I don't like to lose often, so I play to win! That's how I get my enjoyment. MKDS was already an amazing game and very fun to play, but when snaking became involved the competition stiffly rose. It made races much more tense, but clans and communities grew closer and enjoyed racing each other. So whether you snaked or not MKDS was a great game.

Now the main point I want to get to is that NO ONE should say "Oh, I don't snake, I play the game PROPERLY!" Gimme a break. Do you want to know how I discovered snaking? By racing Nintendo's time trail ghost on Baby Park. NINTENDO'S TIME TRAIL GHOST! I could not beat him to save my life so I finally watched how he raced and I started to learn how to snake by watching some of the time trail ghosts. (I didn't even know it existed at this point, I just kinda self taught myself). This is the exact same argument as the Super Smash Bros. Melee one. On one side we have the players who played competitively for money and on the other there are the players who play for fun who don't really care to learn the advanced techniques. I never got into learning how to play competitively in Melee. I just played for fun with my friends and I still loved it! So I know both sides of the story. The only difference between Melee and MKDS, though, was that MKDS had online.

The online is where the "gray area" for snaking comes into play. MKDS was the first game I ever played online and I LOVED it. At this time I was a member of Nintendo's official forums, Nsider (RIP :( ). There were some AMAZING racers on that forum (Husky, Johnboy, Clompy, Egg13, Nikxie, Lion~O, and so many more). I raced with them and got my tail handed to me. Like I said before, I get my enjoyment out of hard fought competition. So I practiced and practiced. Eventually I got pretty good at the game and even (very rarely) beat them if I got extremely lucky :P I loved wifi and racing every snaker and non-snaker. But what about those players who wanted to race online without the snaking? This is where it gets complicated for Nintendo. From what I've seen, the population is pretty evenly split between snaking and non-snaking. So what was Nintendo going to do their next game? Obviously they weren't going to put a "snaking" lobby and a "non-snaking" lobby online in MKWii. So they had to take it out. Nintendo is known to cater to a younger audience.

As much as I hate it, I think Nintendo did the right thing by removing snaking. There were just to many complainers for them to ignore and Nintendo needs to listen to their fans. I hate that. It makes me very sad to see a fun competitive game that doesn't involve guns, sports, or realistic graphics. I do enjoy these though, don't get me wrong, but I am a die hard Nintendo fan so I LOVED seeing a game they made with such a competitive edge! I'm sure we'll never see snaking again, unfortunately. BUT Nintendo didn't have to make the sequel such a item luck game! I could hardly even play it after a few months because the game was at least 70% based on item luck. I'm not going to dwell too much on that though. I don't know why, but I believe Nintendo has fixed this with their next installment. I think it will take a lot more skill to win than MKWii.

So in conclusion I'll reiterate my points:

-Mario Kart DS was one of the greatest (in my opinion THE greatest) installments of the series.
    -You absolutely cannot say snaking ruined the online experience. That would be speaking for EVERYBODY in the world. You cannot state that unless you hear it out of everyone's mouth that has played the game. For some (like myself, it made one of the greatest online experiences).
    - There was no PROPER way to play Mario Kart DS. Snaking was endorsed by the Nintendo ghost time trails. So either way you play is the correct way.
    - As much as it pains me to admit it, I think Nintendo did the right thing by not including snaking in the sequels. Nintendo needs to listen to their fans and they did.
    - Mario Kart Wii was not a very good game because the game was highly based on item luck.
    - I believe Nintenod has fixed the item overdose with MK7 and it will be a great game.

I don't know if this will be read by anybody, but I just had to get it off my chest, or I'd go crazy! :P

I'll end with this: Snackin' is chestin.

37. Icytroid1993 Friday 18th Nov 2011 at 11:42

I try to be the best i can in games as well :) I practice practice practice!!! However i've always been under the impression that power sliding is for corners, and tight corners only. It is wise that Nintendo has removed snaking because, lets be honest, the vast majority of players don't snake, so snakers broke the online experience for many :( Thank goodness for items i guess, because i have beaten a fair few snakers :) I will agree with you though about Mario Kart Wii, there's too many items which means that a lot of the game is determined by luck. I applaud you for strongly standing by your point of view :) I had no idea that a Nintendo ghost on Baby Park snaked!!! That has certainly shed more light on the subject! It's just annoying, because if it is an advanced technique in the game then why does it seem like a secret, why isn't it explained in the Mario Kart manuals? Strange really :? Thank you for your comment :)

38. gmundy Saturday 19th Nov 2011 at 11:28

Of course it's the best game of the series. It's on the 3ds, and you can now fly. What more could you want?

39. killganon Monday 21st Nov 2011 at 18:56

what i want to know is what is the point of other developers making a kart racing game in a genre that is dominated by one game if a decent alternative turns up i would buy it

40. SuperJonnyMario Wednesday 4th Jan 2012 at 14:17

Too bad the online doesn't work...and before you sent a reply to telling me how to fix it, I already tried it all...it ALL! :cry:

41. mrmariomaster Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 17:27

I think that MK7 is really good although it would be good if there was a snaking and non snaking option :D

42. Icytroid1993 Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 19:59

It does work, it works very well! It must be a problem with your internet connection :( I know how frustrating it can be :x