Boom Blox - First Screens Of Spielberg/EA Collaboration

Film director creates a game for the kids...

Steven Spielberg, director of Jaws, Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park, has been speaking about Boom Blox, his first Wii game that's due for release in May.

The game is described by EA as an action puzzler and Spielberg has said he made it with his kids in mind.

"I am a gamer myself, and I really wanted to create a video game that I could play with my kids," said Steven Spielberg. "Boom Blox features an enormous amount of fun challenges and cool scenarios for your kids to solve or for you to master together."

So what's it all about? Well, according to Spielberg, Boom Blox "plays on the enjoyment of building and knocking down blocks." In other words it's a bit like an expanded version of Jenga with players destroying blocks in 300 brain-teasing challenges.

You'll be interacting with entertaining characters such as the Blox-laying chickens or the baseball throwing monkeys, who bring personality to the Tiki, Medieval, Frontier, and Haunted themed environments.

Additionally, players can remix any level of the game in Create Mode using props, blocks, or characters that have been unlocked during the game. Players can also virtually build anything they can dream up. Plus, their designs can then be shared with friends or used to challenge others via WiiConnect24.

The first screens look pretty, the characters look amusing and with someone like Spielberg working on it, Boom Blox could have potential. We'll see what it's like when it's released in May.

Comments

1. LuigiWare Wednesday 6th Feb 2008 at 16:03

I'm not that excited about Spielberg being involved in a game, but it does look like a solid puzzle game.

As long as they don't try and make it stand out massively and go mad, it looks like it'll be a great game.

2. Charliebois Wednesday 6th Feb 2008 at 16:38

Me neither. I'm about as excited as I would be if a games developer announced he was making a movie.

3. DaveD78UK Wednesday 6th Feb 2008 at 18:00

When I heard that Spielberg was to develop games I was kind of expect some kind of new action, adventure, sci-fi or a decent movie tie-in game but not a puzzle game. The puzzle game may well be a great game, but it could have been made by anyone at EA and just stick Spielberg's name on the box to help sell the game.
    With all the movies Spielberg has made over the year like Jaws, ET, Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones you would think a game based or taken from those kind of movies would make a great new game.

4. Anonymous Thursday 7th Feb 2008 at 09:39

I'm actually quite interested in this game, not because of Spielberg's involvement, but it could be a genuinely entertaining game in its own right. The customisation and sharing aspects appeal to me most. I prefer this to a film-to-game conversion that is for sure.

5. Zabba 2 Thursday 7th Feb 2008 at 10:23

Wasn't there a block related game developed by Spielberg on gamecube, or am I just imagining things?

6. Hylian_Red Thursday 7th Feb 2008 at 14:07

I'm actually up for this. I think more games should use such physics that can be explored further, using the Wii-mote.

Along with De-Blob, we have two very interesting games. Yeah, so it's not a big rpg game but it looks hectic and fun so I'm not complaining.

7. DaveD78UK Tuesday 12th Feb 2008 at 04:18

I'm not saying that this game will be bad it just that when you mention that Spielberg will make games, then you expect something along the lines of some of his action, adventure and sci-fi movies that he made over the years. A puzzle game could have been made by anybody not from a Movie Director.

8. drjnfan Thursday 10th Apr 2008 at 14:58

I dont think that i will be getting it but if he made a propper game then i would bye it