Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony wows London

Koji Kondo, Eiji Aonuma and Zelda Williams come to London show

The Legend Of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony came to London last night giving fans the opportunity to meet their heroes and enjoy 80 minutes of music from the Zelda series.

Zelda composer Koji Kondo, producer Eiji Aonuma and celebrity fan Zelda Williams were the special guests at the show.

Aonuma introduced the concert, commenting that it was sad that fans at the Los Angeles show had recorded video footage and posted them online.

Then Zelda Williams was introduced by conductor Eimar Noone. She read out some tweets from fans and could be seen to get a bit emotional when she talked about how much the games meant to her.

Finally Koji Kondo came on to play a piece of music from Wind Waker on the piano.

After the show ONM blogger and Zelda fan Colette Barr said: "Last night was breathtaking and simply magical, the whole room was truly transported into the Zelda universe."

Omar Ibrahim agreed, saying: "No words can describe how phenomenal tonight's Zelda Concert was. With appearances from Eiji Aonuma, a performance from Koji Kondo and a surprise visit from Zelda Williams, this was most definitely a night to remember."

The Royal Philarmonic Concert Orchestra played a two part symphony including the following music.

Part I

The Legend Of Zelda: Selected Shorts Suite

Gerudo Valley

Hyrule Field from Ocarina Of Time

Great Fairy's Fountain Theme

Twilight Princess Symphonic Movement

The Legend Of Zelda Main Theme Medley

Koji Kondo played Grandma's Theme from Wind Waker.

The Zelda 2012 World Tour will feature a four part symphony.

Were you there? Let us know what you thought of the show...

Comments

1. CyberGW Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 09:54

So jealous that I couldn't go.
    Hopefully the world tour will come to Manchester so I can go. :D

2. shy guy 64 Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 09:57

lucky blighters

oh well i suppose the cd of the event that comes with skyward sword special edition will make up for it

3. zelda707 Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 10:00

i hope they come to Australia!!

It sounds amazing!

4. FireHawk Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 10:03

I was there, but had to get a train home, so I had to leave early in the show. I wish I could've seen more of this. :(

5. Sir Joe Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 10:07

I think that audience has to have been the most excitable audience I've ever seen for an orchestral concert.

6. Andyws Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 10:08

My freind won tickets with the Guardian and took me.
    Was a trully spectacular event!
    Started to tear up during the Wind Waker Symphonic Movement.
    The show was incredibaly well put together, Nintendo outdid themselfs!
    I look forward to having the CD!

7. Shinnos Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 10:18

Amazing night! When they announced that a special guest was going to come on to introduce the music, for a second I thought it was going to be Miyamoto, but Zelda Williams was a nice surprise – and clearly a genuine fan! Koji Kondo's perfomance at the end was awesome! The Symphony itself was incredible. So many amazing tunes, and I loved that they played the song from the chicken catching game in Lon Lon Ranch from Ocarina of Time! A memorable evening!

8. BlueNayru Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 10:34

I was there and was absolutely amazed and so immersed in the music, that I just forgot where I was (all the pieces were totally fantastic but Fairy's Fountain on the Harps was simply gorgeous) :D
    But I vow to dress up/cosplay as Imp Midna if I can attend next year's show (her or Navi or even Phi; there's something about me and sidekicks xD)
    Oh and I was the girl who kept wooing in Row U of the Circle area; Block 5 xD (And I'm adding that it was a great opportunity for street pass 8) I don't know anyone else with a 3DS so it was fun to do)

And I also I met Neil Long; I was pretty chuffed with that :P

9. TheRedPlumber Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 10:47

I hate to break it to you all, but they're only doing three concerts, Japan, LA, and London, all of which have happened.

10. doydoy Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 11:07

It was a wonderful showcase of the Zelda franchise, and also a fantastic atmosphere.

I have been playing Zelda games for my entire life, the music brought back so many fond memories of my childhood.

I am so glad that I got to experience this momentous event, and it was only fitting that my brother was there with me, as we have shared playing Nintendo games since the NES.

(I also managed to get 206 StreetPass hits, Colette you are one of them.
    If you have doydoy in your Mii Plaza, I hope you enjoyed the event as much as I did.)

11. Ai64 Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 11:19

Must have been so breathtaking night there, So awsome for the concert to come to the UK. :D

12. Super Andre Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 11:20

Oh how I wish I went, Koji was there o my God
    O my God it's finger bang.

13. omza Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 11:40

Thanks for posting my comment! I managed to see everyone from ONM, including Colette, Marti and John, but I didn't see any of the ONM writers... :(

14. CraigEmberson Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 12:20

Actually, you're wrong. The ones this year are shorter versions of the full concerts that are touring in 2012, there will be way more dates across the world next year - it's a full tour.

15. Beyond Birthday Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 12:54

Fantastic event. The music was absolutely superb, and so were the guests. Eiji's 'You know me?' raised a few laughs, and so did the guy who shouted out 'You're gorgeous!' when Zelda Williams was on stage.

Had the great pleasure of meeting and getting autographs from conductor Eineene Noone (I think that's how you spell her name), arranger Chad Seiter, producer Jeron Moore (also the producer of Twilight Symphony, they're recording the choir in December, ZREO fans) and the lovely Zelda Williams. Great night.

16. Captain Kuchiki Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 12:56

Due to Nintendo Europe being stupid and only having one date in all of Europe, I was unable to go.

Also, waaaaay too much money.

17. ChildofHats Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 13:31

YES! I was there, that's me in the picture up there, cosplaying as link.
    With my homemade costume and Navi ^_^

18. Cazy008 Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 13:38

Sounds like it was pretty awsome. Would be cool if they could expand on this in the future and do one for nintendo games in general.

19. MD1500 Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 14:04

I was there.
    It's was Streetpass heaven. 80 in one night!

20. Beyond Birthday Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 14:11

YES! I was there, that's me in the picture up there, cosplaying as link.
    With my homemade costume and Navi ^_^

I believe I saw you. Nice costume man.

21. KoreeluStromboli Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 15:54

Wow ChildofHats! I didn't know that you were an ONM forumite. You met me yesterday; I was the one who wiggled your Navi on a wire while impersonating her due to an impulse.

I originally didn't have a ticket; I was only going there to hang around and meet members of ONM. Neil Long, Gav Murphy, Marti Bennett and Collette Barr were the members of ONM that I met. I realised I wanted to watch the symphony, so I hung about to see if I could buy a spare ticket, as the women under the white hut instructed. When I went to the box office, I was told I could buy a ticket for Ł100. I decided to start leaving, but a woman under the white hut told me how it went, so I did. She gave me a spare ticket, free of charge; I didn't even have to ask! :D

The symphony was pretty awesome, even though I'm not a Zelda fan. I did recognise some Zelda music that I heard while playing the Super Smash Bros. games though. Zelda's Lullaby was cool but could've done with some singing from Capitol Voices to enhance it and the rendition of Saria's Song was great. I liked the boss medley and the inclusion of the Molgera theme from Wind Waker. The three special guests were cool surprises and when Zelda asked the audience to make Ganon into food, I shouted "I'll make Ganon, egg and chips!" I was the person who sat in Seat 34 of Block 4's Row W. At the end, I met the talented artist Donna Evans, we had a conversation and I played with her Ganondorf and Lord "Debbie" Ghirahim plushes.

All in all, the night was awesome! :D

22. mCritchell Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 16:16

Not even having the flu for the past 3 days was going to stop me from attending this show. It was almost a miss when I found myself not able to leave my bed yesterday, but this morning, Zelda must have paid me a visit during the night as I was a picture of health.

Arriving at Hammersmith Apollo at 17:15, I was amazed just how large the queue had already appeared. At least a thousand people were already there. I collected my VIP ticket and joined with the line. 18:45, we all entered the venue and took our seats. It was great to see the room filling up with Cosplay Link's, not so many Zelda's though.

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra took to their instruments on stage with the show starting at just after 19:30. The lights lowered and walking on stage was none other then Eiji Aonuma himself. He had his iconic interpreter with him "I say iconic, I think all Zelda fans know him by now" and discussed what we were to expect in tonight's show and about the 25th anniversary. The conductor for this evening was Eimear Noone who also conducted the LA show 4 days before. Just before getting into the show, we were introduced to one more person, just for the London show, the wonderful Zelda Williams (Daughter of Robin Williams). To which, the Orchestra started the show.

They started off with Hyrule Castle Theme followed by an introduction of the Orchestra, which ended up taking over 10 minutes, but they were playing Zelda songs in the process. Hearing one of the biggest game franchises music echoing through the venue with amazing sound systems was more than just amazing. The Royal Philharmonic were doing an absolute amazing job with the performance. The first act lasted for one hour to which we were given a 20 minute break. Lines were forming up everywhere by this time. Lines for the bar, the merchandise, the toilet..etc. So anyway, 20 minutes later, we were greeted once again by the lovely Zelda Williams.

Act 2 begun with Ganondorf's Theme and then followed with more recognized songs such as Twilight Princess Symphonic Movement and Hyrule Field from Ocarina of Time. But one song that left the crowd with goosebumps was the performance of Great Fairy's Fountain Theme, performed on just the harp. That for me was the highlight of the performance.

Another special guest entered the stage. The man who created all the songs we heard this evening, Koji Kondo. He performed a magnificent piano solo which lasted for about 8 minutes before speaking to the crowd.

The show was coming to an end as we were greeted once again by Eiji Aonuma as he discussed the upcoming Zelda game "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword" He also announced that tonight's performance was going to be made into a CD which would then be only be available as a free gift with a limited edition of the game (which is released on 18th November 2011)

The show finished off with The Legend Of Zelda Main Theme, and before you knew it, it was over. A truly wonderful show well worth the money, the wait, everything. Fingers crossed that they bring this to a World Tour as I think this is something all gamers should experience.

As the show finished, I made my way upstairs where I was to attend a meet and greet, who I was meeting was unknown. It was all kept "hush hush". I was surprised to get there and find that I was the first person in line. It was a couple minutes before someone stood behind me, but then after a few more minutes, the line became rather large. We were led around the corner into a small room and given VIP goodies which were an Ocarina, EDGE magazine and a Zelda keyring. Also in the room was Eimear Noone (Conductor), Jeron Moore (Producer & Director), Chad Seiter (Arrangements) and Zelda Williams (Host). I'll admit that I was a little disappointed that Eiji and Koji who were both at the show, failed to attend the meet and greet, but the fact that Zelda Williams was there, daughter of one of my absolute favourite actors, made up for it. After meeting the group and having my programme signed we were led out to the foyer and to the exit.

All finished. Tonight's experience was magnificent and I can only hope that more shows will be announced. Eiji said throughout the show that tonight's performance would be the last show sadly, but we know what Nintendo are like at changing there minds.

My pictures can be found here :)
    http://shouraigaming.blogspot.com/2011/ ... phony.html

23. Zaphod_B Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 16:57

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I expected a lot for the ticket price, and I got even more than that, a superb event! StreetPass bonanza too... While next year's tours may lack the guests (Koji Kondo's Grandma's Theme on piano was an amazing closing piece), hopefully the extra parts will make up for it for you guys that didn't make it this time.

24. zelda97 Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 19:12

Was not allowed to go so I hope all of it is on the skyward sword CD. If not I will have to cry my self to sleep every night for 25 years or untill the next big Zelda concert. :cry:

25. aaronrobb150593 Wednesday 26th Oct 2011 at 21:46

Sounds like it was a great night! I soooooo can't wait to get my 25th Anniversary Symphony CD with my pre-order of Skyward Sword, it's going straight onto my iphone :D

26. kylewithaface Thursday 27th Oct 2011 at 18:47

i wish it would come to scotland

27. Rinkufan7 Friday 28th Oct 2011 at 20:08

It is with my utmost sincerity and honour to tell you that The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony in London was absolutely breathtaking.

The London Philharmonic Orchestra, consisting of over 70 musicians and leaded by professional orchestral conductor Eimear Noone, played eight movements, and six compositions, the former consisting of various arrangements and medleys of Zelda Music.

The whole experience was very emotional for me; I'm a huge Zelda fan, and the games have influenced me as a person, and will always be my source of inspiration. When I was younger, I got bullied frequently at school, and playing Zelda games was a way to get away from all of these troubles and enter Hyrule. I was a very socially inept and shy person, but playing the Legend of Zelda built up my confidence and made me a stronger person, because I could, and still can, very much relate to Link. I discovered my musical talent through playing Zelda games; the music is beautiful, and a central theme to these wonderful games. In fact, the whole reason I wanted to learn how to play the keyboard was because I wanted to be able to play Zelda music. So as you can probably imagine, I was extremely moved by the music. And I was:

I teared up when Zelda's Lullaby was played, just three notes into the song. The sincerity and power of the music is so beautiful, I can't describe it in words. Actually, tears were running down my face most of the time. I also got really emotional when The Lamentation of the Spirits from Twilight princess came on, because Twilight Princess was my first Zelda game I ever played.

To be in the presence of both Aonuma-san and Kondo-san was absolutely amazing. And Zelda Williams (Robin Williams daughter; named after Princess Zelda) was there too.

When Koji Kondo played Grandma's Theme from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, I thought of my late grandmother at this point, and... oh, I'm getting all emotional again. You could see the absolute genius of him when he played. It was a great honour for me to see him in real life.

It's a strange but amazing feeling when a piece of music, so powerful and sincere in it's composition, makes you cry tears of pure happiness. And Zelda music is just that: Powerful, sincere, poignant, and very emotional. Never before in my life have I ever felt so moved. I am absolutely humbled and honoured to have been given this truly magical experience at The Apollo in London. I would like to give my heartfelt gratitude to the wonderful people at Nintendo, Eimear Noone, and the London Philharmonic Orchestra for making this breathtaking experience possible, and to my father for taking me there.

I simply can't describe the wonderous feeling being there gave me. I'm actually in tears now thinking about it. Tears of joy, honour, and nostalgia. Nintendo is magical.