New Mario Kart 7 characters revealed

Two more join the roster

Two more brand new characters have been revealed for Mario Kart 7. Yes, you'll be able to drive as Wiggler and Honey Queen for the first time in a Mario Kart game.

These two new characters were revealed in the latest issue of Nintendo Power and the magazine suggests that there are more new racers yet to be revealed.

You'll know Wiggler from Mario's 2D and 3D adventures - these caterpillar-style creatures made their debut in Super Mario World and have appeared in games ranging from Super Mario 64 to New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Galaxy. However, this is their first appearance in a Mario Kart game.

Mario Kart 7 - Wiggler
Mario Kart 7 - Wiggler
Honey Queen is a more recent character, having only appeared in the Super Mario Galaxy games.

Mario Kart 7 - Honey Queen
Mario Kart 7 - Honey Queen
This pair will join Metal Mario and Lakitu as the new characters who will be appearing in Mario Kart 7.

What do you think of this announcement? Are there characters who you would have preferred to see in the game?

Comments

1. Mecha Ooccoo Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 10:20

Okay, we NEED Fawful!

His crazyness suits Mario Kart pretty well

2. sambrown64 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 10:26

Odd choices but I think it's good! I like having Galaxy elements in the Mario Kart series (Rosalina featured in Mario Kart Wii) and I'd like to see more of it. Maybe even a Galaxy themed course?

3. eternalmidnight Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 10:28

I think this just means that we should be getting Fawful and Rawk Hawk, two of the greatest characters of all time, I'm not exactly sure that these two characters were exactly high in demand, but maybe I'm wrong :P

4. WHiTeFAce Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 10:35

i can't wait for it :D

5. Amerterasu16 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 10:40

They should include the final boss from Super Mario Land from the Game Boy and you should be able to drive around in his weird spaceship!

6. aclover Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 10:44

I think Honey Queen was included this time, because of a Lack of female characters and the inclusion of the beehive/honey style battle course for this game. I think Mario kart are trying to introduce more female chaaracters to expand their audience , and boost sales of the game and 3DS. they would need it after, the kerfuffle of a launch the 3DS was :L
    But anyway, they both seem like decent characters! I just wih Petey Piranha, King Boo, Toadette and Waluigi were confirmed! Waluigi and Toadette seem like the more likely candidates, akthough on the offical site (japan) there is no word of them...

7. radabie86 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 10:49

I want to see the much under-rated Professor E Gadd and Toadsworth make an appearance, please Nintendo make it happen!!

8. lminett Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 10:54

Im not impressed to be honest, ok well wiggler i can understand that but honey queen really? Come on nintendo has far better and memorible characters they can put in there, having metal mario and lacatu (however you spell it) is great because there better known. Why not put birdo and koopa troopa back in?

9. CyberGW Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 11:08

I want Fawful and Paper Mario!
    Paper Mario's karts would be awesome and all his items would be made out of paper!
    And then Fawful's laughs and cries would be great when he hits people and his paraglider would just have graffiti on it saying 'I HAVE FURRRYY!'
    And of course, a baby King Boo would be funny!

10. MartinIsAwesome Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 11:09

I'm sorry, but this is a bit pants. Are Wriggler and the Honey Queen really that popular to be included as racers? Really? I feel that there are many more iconic Mario characters and enemies that deserve a place more than these two.
    Like, where's the Hammer Bros? Boom Boom or his new female counterpart, Punpun, would be a cool addition. How about finally including Kamek the Magikoopa since he was in an early version of Mario Kart 64? Hopefully these will be announced later as it'd be a crime if Wriggler and Honey Queen get included over these guys.

11. shy guy 64 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 11:16

wriggler of all charecters and the honey queen certinly seems like odd choices

still i would like to see the penguins

12. Super Andre Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 11:20

Wriggler Yes
    Honey Queen No

13. Basty K Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 11:21

they have put koopa in, and i hate birdo with all my soul. the bow genuinely scares me, and that massive mouth... *shivers*

14. Beyond Birthday Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 11:44

Honey Queen is the most minor of minor characters. And Wiggler shouldn't be able to sit in the kart like that either. Not the best choices. Give us a Luma or something (NOT. LUBBA.) and Rosalina if you want Galaxy characters, as for enemies and stuff, why not Hammer Bro or something like that rather than the completely illogical choice of Wiggler.

15. shy guy 64 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 11:58

we've all ready got rosalina

16. Gaebora Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 12:03

I am not digging these characters:(
    The Hammer Bros would have been better...

17. starvigilante Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 12:28

I personally don't mind which Mario characters are put in, as long as they ARE from MARIO games; on that subject, I hope they have removed Funky Kong from MK7.

18. Layton link Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 12:46

ok emmmm........................wat?
    why these characters out of all the characters that mario has?
    hammer bros,prince bean,fawful even?
    oh oh emm a bloober!
    oh no they are items arnt they?
    ok but still i can kind of understand wiggler being in it but queem bee dosnt even make any sense!
    i mean most people wont even remeber her!
    just please put in rob i beg of u

19. LewiiG Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 12:50

Honey Queen? Seriously? Aww wigglers ok hes in a lot of Mario games nowadays. But seriously. Honey queen could of been someone else, someone 100x better and more popular. And besides! She has shrunk big time to be able to fit in that kart! omg she was massive in the galaxies.

20. noodle link Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 13:03

If these two odd choices can get in, why not Funky Kong eh? KOGNUT!!!

@Sambrown64 There is a Galaxy-themed stage that takes place in the Comet Observatory, albeit covered in snow. Rosalina has also been confirmed for MK7.

21. noodle link Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 13:05

Oh, and to whoever said Fawful: YES. Lubba would also be particularly awesome.

22. superdudemiles Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 13:06

Hahaha WHAT???!!! Strange choice of characters there, tbh I dont think they are should be playable i the game since theyre not 'main characters', either way im still looking forward to Mario Kart 7.
    Jeez I thought playing as ROB in Mario Kart DS was strange...

23. LBDNytetrayn Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 13:07

I will not be happy until they reveal R.O.B. is returning. Preferably without being insane to unlock.

(No, I don't care if they reduce his stats-- I'd still use him, even if he played like Mario. Of course, Mario is my other main, so...)

I am happy, however, that Rosalina seems to be in.

As for these two? Wiggler is a neat addition, but the bee? Really?

24. Beyond Birthday Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 13:19

we've all ready got rosalina

Must have missed Rosalina's confirmation, but there are better choices for Galaxy characters than the Honey Queen anyway so my point still stands.

25. imbusydoctorwho Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 13:23

I like Wiggler,I have no problems with him,I welcome him into the game roster with open arms.

On the other hand Queen Bee has to be one of the most pointless character ever in a Mario Kart game,I just hope there are more better characters revealed in the near future.

26. linkfinity Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 13:30

firstly: wrigglers were in mario kart wii, mapel treeway, not playable though.

but more importantly, what are nintendo thinking with this roster?!? metal mario should be a power up, not a racer, wiggler and honey queen won't work as they are huge and will have to be squashed down to be in the kart, and honey bee isn't even a good, memorable character. why not paulene? or paper mario? or better yet the emoglobens!

i feel that nintendo don't consider anything other than the platformers part of the mario series, and it's ashame because there probally the worst games of the bunch, in as much as the most generic, confined.

27. C00LI098 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 13:41

I'm not that pleased with either of these characters. There is no way Wiggler can drive a kart, and Honey Queen has been horrendously shrunken. I really wanted to see Lubba. ;_;

28. Drenful Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 14:08

This probably isn't healthy, but I laughed SO HARD when I saw the Queen Bee :lol: :lol: :lol:

29. Shmilly Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 14:43

Wiggler is a neat addition, I wouldn't agree otherwise but that picture shows how awesome they made him. Honey Queen though? She's not even a character, just a giant bee you can crawl on in 2 levels. And she looks awful without that lovely fuzzy texture on the Wii games. Why not just stick Rosalina back in? Come on Nintendo, obscure characters need to still be popular ones, not unnamed insects.

30. RaidingRaichu Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 15:03

Wiggler is cool. We like Wiggler.
    Honey Queen... Well, not quite so much as say King Boo, Fawful or perhaps Toadsworth...

31. shadow663 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 15:44

If these two can fit in then, fawful or Prof E.Gadd have to be in

32. shadowlugia101 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 15:44

YES!!! I FINALLY GET TO PLAY AS WIGGLER!!! I'VE WANTED TO PLAY AS HIM FOR SOOO LONG!! :D :D :D
    i don't really know why they put the bee as character because firstly shes a very minor character and secondly in years to come people will look back at this and say whos that bee character???
    oh well now all we need is petey piranah to return and to be able to play as king bob-omb and glooper blooper

33. Magmortar963 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 15:47

The Honey Queen! THE HONEY QUEEN! THE HONEY QUEEN! You can play as The Honey Queen and not the Koopalings, Nintendo, you sure have made a huge mistake!

34. Dalekbuster523 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 15:53

Wriggler's a good choice but honey queen?seriously?Who's going to want to play as her?
    They could've picked a better Mario character like Goomba or even bob omb.

35. shadowlugia101 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 15:55

also i would like kamek or magikoopa to be a charcter because i LOVE him! :D

36. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 16:13

Wow...This is getting amusing. First they show off Lakitu and Metal Mario, then they announce my favourite Mario character, Shy Guy, and Miis and then Wiggler and the Bee......I DRAW THE LINE AT THE BEE!!! Where is Bowser Jr and Petey Pirhanna. I will admit I loved my first reaction to seeing the Bee...It was something along the line of "....WHAT!?!?!"

37. jasonator500 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 16:17

QUEEN BEE! QUEEN BLOODY BEE! we cant even play as koopalings but we can play as QUEEN BLOODY BEE! what a LIBERTY!!!

38. LBDNytetrayn Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 16:34

They could've picked a better Mario character like Goomba or even bob omb.

On that note, if they were going to use enemies like that, I'd rather see some of Mario's teammates from the Paper Mario series, like Goombella and Admiral Bobbery, or Bombette.

39. Just No Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 17:01

At least they're going for variety this time. Too many babies in the Wii version ...

40. 08boatfg Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 17:08

Fawfal
    Lubba
    Goomba
    Toadsworth
    E. Gadd

are what i would like!

41. WarioBros Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 17:23

What's with all the Honey Queen hatred?
    Nintendo do well to include at least one character nobody expected, and I think it's good to have someone not every player will recognize. I can see myself using the Honey Queen and Lakitu a lot. All of the new characters have me ultra-hyped for Mario Kart 7.

Now, i'm still waiting for Lubba and E. Gadd.

42. LordGhirahim64 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 17:26

Two bad choices Nintendo.
    With all these random "never before seen characters" like Metal Mario, Lakitu, Wiggler and Queen Bee, I'm starting to get worried that there aren't many spaces left for epic characters... BOWSER JR!!!!!!!! PETEY PIRANHA!!!!!!!!
    In the beginning I was warming up to the idea of Lakitu but this! I just hope this doesn't ruin what could be the best Mario Kart ever.

43. Magmortar963 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 17:36

jasonator500 31 Oct '11

WHY USE THIS SORT OF LANGUAGE ON THE FORUM. PEOPLE HAVE THIER KIDS LOOKING WEATHER THEIR PUMPKIN HAS BEEN DISPLAYED ON THE WEBSITE AND THEY DON'T DESERVE TO SEE THAT!

44. Kinky Pie Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 17:43

Kind of meh to be honest. Toadsworth and R.O.B. would be nice. NINTENDO, I AM DISSAPOINT.
    Nah, it's ok. I guess now that DLC is more accessible, new characters could be added post-launch. That or we'll be seeing SUPER MARIO KART 7 TURBO FEAT. FRANK WEST. But Im sure Ninty have more sense than that. Don't they?

45. tomutwit Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 17:56

if honey queen is in there, fawful should be too. i totally agree
    I MEAN WTF WIGGLER WHY NO GOOMBA

46. ClockMenace Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 18:12

These strike me as very odd choices for racers.

47. Darkblizz Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 18:13

Aww, the Wiggler looks so cute and happy.

Fawful would be nice though. Vivian and Madame Flurry could be interesting too.

48. RTY1998 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 18:54

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fawful!!!
    Give me him now!
    Also Mr Game & Watch! If they had ROB. Make sure they bring back all the characters as well. I miss DK JR, he should really make a comeback. Proffesor E. Gadd, perhaps. Also could they please just stop adding random characters! If they added spin off characters like Mona, Jimmy T, King K, Kamek you know all of them. add a decent story mode, more karts and bikes and bring back all the tracks and you have my prefect game.

49. TheMarioMan997 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 19:22

ok. wiggler i never thought about him but now i do he is quiet a clever character. honey queen is just not a good character. she is a giant and only features in 2 games. what about hammer bro and even a goomba or a few koopalings. i think you should be able to unlock characters depending on what character you use smash bros. style :?:

50. JSupremoJ Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 19:38

Wiggler was rumoured for [i]Mario Kart Wii[i], so his inclusion in the character roster was perhaps anticipated. However, Honey Queen (or Queen Bee as I'm pretty sure she was referred to in the Galaxy games!) is a bizarre yet welcome inclusion. I'm guessing the reason Goomba wasn't included is because he hasn't got arms to drive with!

51. LuigisBrother Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 19:58

We all know Nintendo are just waiting to make an anouncement that will rock the world. TOADSWORTH!!

52. Jimmybidz Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 20:20

If Magikoopa was to be involved in this game it would make my day as he has to be one of the most annoying yet fun boss of the Mario series. But if he doesn't get in (which is highly likely) I will play as Rosalina (knowing my luck she probably isn't in it either) but if shes isn't , then who knows who I will play as.

53. Beyond Birthday Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 20:22

jasonator500 31 Oct '11

Given this language can be aired on TV at pretty much any time of day, I shall choose to laugh derisively at your comment.

54. mu3zzer Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 20:46

To be honest, I think I prefer Honey Queen to Wiggler. At least Honey Queen is an individual character and has some personality, but I've never understood why there's been generic and nameless enemies included like Dry Bones, Koopa Troopa and now Wiggler in Mario Kart.
    Still no sign of E. Gadd, Lubba or Fawful! Come on Nintendo, I will have many chortles if you do this!

55. SuperLuigiYoshi Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 21:03

More Super Mario Galaxy 2 NPCs please! Whittles! Penguins! The Chimp!

56. Mmmyeah Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 21:25

this is wiggler's first appearance in a Mario Kart game

i don't mean to be a bore but wiggler appeared in mario kart ds as an unlockable boss battle.

57. Icytroid1993 Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 21:43

I like that Wiggler is in the game, he's a well know Mario character that has appeared in many Mario games :) On the other hand Queen Bee is a very off the wall choice :? Nintendo have picked a forgettable character over the likes of Kamek, E-Gadd, Fawful, Shroob, Petey Pirahna, King K Rool and Kritter :? Strange isn't it? I don't want to sound like i'm complaining here, i do like 3 out of the 4 new characters :) As long as the regular characters are in there like Donkey Kong and Bowser then i'm happy! :) I rarely play as new characters anyway, its all about the new race tracks for me and any new gameplay ideas :D I'm sure Mario Kart 7 will be epic!!!

58. Basty K Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 21:54

They could've picked a better Mario character like Goomba or even bob omb.

sorry, but how would they make 3d characters out of characters originally made of paper? it just wouldn't be the same.

59. AR master Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 22:08

honey queen has been in two games BUT lubba was in one game(yeah i know he was mentioned every minute but still).

60. Basty K Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 22:24

It's agreed, we all lubba the lubba. ;)

61. DomkeyKong Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 23:28

There's so much hate for Honey Queen! Maybe she'll appear in more games? She could be like ROB, and have very minor reasons to be in recent games, and everyone started to love ROB after Mario Kart DS and SSBB, so why not give Honey Queen a chance? She could be your lucky racer!

62. gregeyb Monday 31st Oct 2011 at 23:37

I'd like to see more non mario characters like Kirby or Fox. I'd also like to see the warp star as a kart.

63. TheMarioMan997 Tuesday 1st Nov 2011 at 00:01

honey queen is not good but here are characters i think would be right: hammer bro, toadsworth, professor E.Gadd, goomba, koopalings, baby yoshi's. i think each character should have a couple of their own unique karts and there should be a secret way to unlock the koopalings.

64. Piloswine64 Tuesday 1st Nov 2011 at 03:48

I'd love to see Toadsworth and Petey Piranha! :)

65. torterratrainer Tuesday 1st Nov 2011 at 09:47

omg i dont beleive it because nintendo couldnt come up with a new girl character they add that giant fat bee!! thats stupid and lazy. wiggler is a nice edition though but seriously honey queen.

66. Basty K Tuesday 1st Nov 2011 at 11:10

These 2 ideas are good, but kirby and fox should have to be unlocked by cheat codes or completing the game.

67. alexjones94 Tuesday 1st Nov 2011 at 19:00

If Queen Honey Bee is in MK7 then The Chimp from Galaxy 2 should be in it - he was properly awesome.

68. kevintpp Wednesday 2nd Nov 2011 at 00:41

it would be cool that they´d put the bunny that appears in Super Mario 64 DS as a new character in mario kart 7, or the bomb too

69. shadowlugia101 Wednesday 2nd Nov 2011 at 14:19

they should have kamek as a character and his special item is magic wand which can fire lightning fire ice or water :)

70. AaronMclaren Wednesday 2nd Nov 2011 at 15:34

I'm not really feeling the Honey Queen, Wiggler I think is a pretty cool addition!
    I hope R.O.B makes a reappearance and I think it'd be pretty cool to see the likes of the Hammer Bros, Kamek and Prof E. Gadd as playable characters!
    A quick question, is Rosalina a confirmed character? Seem a bit odd to take her out after MKWii.

71. remagpie93 Wednesday 2nd Nov 2011 at 22:45

Calm down with the Bee hate people its uncalled for!!!
    The fact that these have been confirmed pre-release only goes to prove that the final game will likely include a huge roster as they never announce the half of the total characters before a Mario Kart is released.... and Honey Queen featured in 2 of the greatest games of all time AND introduced the best modern suit for Mario....
    Seeing as it is likely that more characters WILL be confirmed that have not featured in previous games I think I'll plump for:
    Fawful :mrgreen: ;
    Prof E. Gadd :shock: ;
    Hammer Bros 8) ;
    Kamek :idea: ; and
    Toadsworth :roll:

Looking over previous comments I see many quite senseless suggestions:
    Goomba = has no arms so therefore freaky and unnatural
    Lubba = a dull featureless blob from behind
    Bob-omb = a no armed explosive and already an in-game item so would be confusing
    Boom Boom = a fat koopa which Bowser already is
    Funky Kong = NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Seriously the most irritating Kong.... give me Dixie or Lanky over him anyday!

72. yoshiking1 Sunday 6th Nov 2011 at 17:25

Wiggler is a brilliant inclusion in my oppinion, But the queen bee :cry: Seriously Nintendo? shed be better of as an item which lets you fly over karts not going to bother to unlock it

73. yoshiking1 Sunday 6th Nov 2011 at 17:30

They could've picked a better Mario character like Goomba or even bob omb.

There going to do it with paper mario 3ds so why cant they do it here?

74. Dimpee Monday 7th Nov 2011 at 18:54

Anyone think Sonic would be a cool character?

75. Pikachu83 Wednesday 9th Nov 2011 at 20:12