Mario Kart 7 gamer cheats in this 'snaking' video

Mario Kart 7 fan turbo boosts down the straights

Snaking, the sneaky practise from old Mario Kart games, has been outlawed since Mario Kart Wii but one gamer seems to have found a way to use turbo boosts on straights in Mario Kart 7. Check out this Mario Kart 7 snaking video to see what we mean.

The boosts around the bends were impressive but we're interested in what happens on the straights. As you can see, the player hops and keeps hold of the shoulder button before letting go to get a turbo boost. This snaking practise continues on the straights. Some would call that cheating. Others would say that it's clever. Either way, we hope we don't see it when you play us in our Mario Kart 7 community this afternoon.

Obviously, it's not quite as effective as the snaking in Mario Kart DS.

What do you think of snaking? Will you be using this technique in Mario Kart 7? Let us know by commenting below or in our Mario Kart 7 forum thread.

Mario Kart 7 is out today. Here's our Mario Kart 7 review.

Comments

1. alondite29 Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 09:21

my dislike for online mk ds came about from this :( ruined every race

2. link13 Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 09:22

thats pretty impressive,i think it will lead to unfair online races tho.

3. Cuber Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 09:33

I knew I saw someone snaking!! This just proves it really happened.. sigh.

4. ChrisONM Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 09:48

For what it's worth, it doesn't look like that snaking is anywhere near as effective as the snaking in MKDS. He covers the full width of the track and it's the first, easiest track. It's rare that the track is that wide without any obstacles on it so it's very unlikely this can be used with any real success on every track.

5. avaris15 Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 09:54

I'm on the fence on this one. I can understand both sides of the argument. I used to snake a little, because it was the only way to be competitive online. Just thinking about how red raw my thumbs were makes me cringe. When I read that you wouldn't be able to snake in this one, I was quite happy.
    I'll undoubtedly get this, but I'm gutted that I might be coaxed in to learning how to snake again. If nothing else, it should be easier with the new pad.

6. tomonm Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 10:01

That's what I said in the article!

7. ChrisONM Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 10:11

That's what I said in the article!

I know, I was agreeing :D

8. Super Andre Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 10:12

I can't believe it lets hope we can't do it on more levels. Snakeing really achs my thumbs but I was good at it.

9. Zenuous Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 10:18

I tried sorta snaking on Mario Kart Wii and it really didn't work all that well, it only worked on certain parts. Sorta seems like the same thing here, so it comes down to skill more than just doing it constantly like I remember seeing happen on Mario Kart DS.

10. imbusydoctorwho Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 12:01

It doesn't look that bad to be honest.

11. Sharkz1 Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 12:27

Oh goodness. Do we have to go over this again? This is NOT cheating. It's just a technique that is in the game that racers can use to go faster.
    This snaking isn't even comparable to MKDS's. The only time in the video the racer snakes is at the very end on the straightaway. I'm pretty sure this will only be possible on parts of the race that are completely straight, and how often do you ever even see that?

12. SILENTMOUNTAIN Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 14:09

When i play online you get these jap players who pick luigi n64 track every single time, now we know why !

13. allanironmaiden Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 14:50

stop whining and complaining!! its a SKILL of the game imo....use it or dont use....just dont complain if you CHOOSE not to use a skill in the game and others do!

14. Shmilly Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 15:02

It's true that the old snaking strategy on MKDS was an abomination to the online scene, particularly for newcomers. I don't think we have much to worry about here though, since it looks more awkward, less effective, and quite likely unusable in an all-human match due to the chaos on the tracks. Don't start complaining yet, people, we'll just have to wait and see what effect this has.

15. King-X Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 16:05

By any verbatim definition of the word "cheating", snaking is not a case of it. It's simply a method using what's legitimately available in the game. Now finding a way to use an Action Replay to grant infinite turbo; that would be cheating!

However, it is a stumbling block of offense and as such should not be used competitively unless all parties are in agreement with it.

16. tomutwit Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 16:09

Knew they couldn't take it out, no matter what they say!!!
    Can't wait to bash people out of the way with it
    :twisted:

17. MrChewtoy Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 17:00

That's what I said in the article!

I know, I was agreeing :D

Now I like Tom the Online Editor. And then I also like Chris the Games Editor. But which is better...?

Anyway, I never snaked in the DS game (mainly because I've never owned it, just played my mate's), but I'm up for learning for MK7 :P

18. Captain_Alex Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 17:31

i want to try this. but the mk i have are snes, n64, gamecube and gba. will it work on any of those?

19. Katana Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 18:26

For a start snaking is not cheating.Hacking is cheating (plagues MKWii)
    But having played MK7 most of the day the ability to snake is greatly reduced,track design is one reason but also the kart I am using seems to take an age to get a MT.I have been racing Japanese karters most of the day and seen no snaking and also only had one disconnect (again something else that plagues MKWii)

20. CyberGW Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 18:44

Phew, it's not as big as MKDS.
    That's a relief.

21. supertris82 Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 18:52

Hey Chris, just wondering, is the drifting the same as in MK DS? Because for some really strange reason I just couldn't get my head round how to drift on MK Wii although I know you would control it totally different on Wii :) Plus if it isn't out yet, could you tell me if you know when the 3DS wheel is out :D Thankyou!!!

22. Haru Waji Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 19:21

Yeah it doesn't seem all that fancy at all. MK DS you could take it to crazy lengths. I did master it, but only for use in single player time trials. I still remember how sore my thumb would get on those...ahh, good times. From the looks of it, MK 7 has loads of whaky tracks, so there will be hardly any time to get some speed with snaking anyway.

23. thenintendoer Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 20:09

why do people say that snaking is cheating its very easy to pull off and dosent give anyone an unfair advantage

24. emperor ing Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 21:55

Since MKDS, and also DD snaking has just become one of those things that is part of the game. It's not too difficult to learn and when you have it it's a great technique.

25. Cazy008 Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 22:12

Thank You. Some sense being spoken.

26. Beyond Birthday Friday 2nd Dec 2011 at 22:47

Comparing to videos I've seen of snaking in MKWii, I'd say it's about as effective and only worth doing in time trial.

As for calling snaking cheating, ridiculous statement given your predecessors termed it an 'advanced technique' and that nearly every single one of the staff ghosts in MKDS did it. Somewhat broken online (in that game), but not a cheat but any sense of the word.

27. SuperLuigiYoshi Saturday 3rd Dec 2011 at 09:37

I've actually managed to snake on the straight in DS Delfino Square on Mario Kart Wii - it all depends on the width of the track.

28. darkyoshi3 Saturday 3rd Dec 2011 at 10:55

I always used to snake on ds without realising. I thought it was meant to be there but when i found out what snaking actually was i stopped. (apart from when i played with friends so i could rub their face in i when i won) Also i never played online due to having a router that dosent work with ds games except pkmn white. luckily though it works with my 3ds and ive had several online races.

29. DarkBladeXIII Saturday 3rd Dec 2011 at 13:57

well so long as its less effective it could be much less troublesome, but still i dont wish to see it happen

30. TheMarioMan997 Saturday 3rd Dec 2011 at 20:30

but the thing is mario kart wii had a problem - EVERYONE spammed funky kong in the bowser bike and didnt stop wheelieing and a race full of funky monkeys is so annoing -____-

31. The Smithster Sunday 4th Dec 2011 at 20:00

Let's be honest here. Snaking is a skill, and it always has been. It annoys me a little bit that snaking has been made pretty much redundant from far too many people complaining that they couldn't do it and that the others could.

It was implemented in the game. It was skilful, and now it's gone.

32. sciqueen Sunday 4th Dec 2011 at 23:44

Anyone who thinks snaking is a skill is deluding themselves. Luckily it doesn't look as bad in MK as it was in MKDS.

33. colourblindyoshi Monday 5th Dec 2011 at 16:16

snaking may be a skill, but one of the points of mario kart is that anything can happen, and that a race is tight and unpredictable. a skill yes, but one that breaks the game. nintendo didn't want it in the game, most of the people online don't want it on the game, and it takes out some unpredictability as people go flying out in front leaving non snakers languishing behind.

people who can do it are skilful. very skilful. but it isn't meant to be in the game, and lets be honest, isn't very fun. the fun of mario kart is the tight, unpredictable, straightforward racing.

and last i checked, this type of racing goes from side to side.