Nintendo 3DS System Update is here - everything you need to know

Get Video Recording, StreetPass Quest 2 a day early

The eagerly anticipated Nintendo 3DS System Update is here, a day earlier than expected. The Nintendo 3DS system update - which was meant to go live on 8 December - brings with it a host of new features, including new puzzle panels and a sequel to StreetPass Quest - StreetPass Quest 2. Here's everything you need to know.

Loading video...

Mii Plaza updates

You now get congratulatory messages in the Mii Plaza by achieving things such as meeting 100 Miis, meeting Miis from different countries, lighting up the dark room in StreetPass Quest and more. In all, there are 78 accomplishments to achieve and you'll get a message for completing each one.

Other new features in the Mii Plaza include a Music Player where you can listen to tunes in the Mii Plaza. There are 35 different tunes to unlock and you do so by collecting more Miis, collecting Puzzle Pieces and working your way through StreetPass Quest.

Then there's a StreetPass Map which shows you locations of all the Miis you've met.

Slideshow reveals all the puzzle panels you've completed so far in 3D.

Streetpass Quest 2 and new Puzzle Panels

As for the new Puzzle Panels, the first pieces we've collected are for Donkey Kong Country Returns and Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D.

There are now 24 pieces per Puzzle Panel, including four pink puzzle pieces which can only be collected via StreetPass - you can't buy them with Play Coins.

Moving onto StreetPass Quest 2, the old monarch from StreetPass Quest 1 (that's you that is) is in his palace with his son and daughter. They seem pretty content until they're kidnapped by monsters and placed in three separate cages. You have to save them all. As ever, you have to gather heroes, fight monsters and collect hats for your Mii. Be warned, StreetPass Quest 2 won't show up until you've completed StreetPass Quest 1 twice.

Also, there are now 73 hats to collect, compared to the original 16.

Video Recording

If you go into the 3DS Camera, you can record 10 minute videos. It's easy to do - you simply tap the video icon and then press R or L to start recording.

You can also record Stop Motion animations and Clip Link videos.

eShop - Game Demos and Link Club Nintendo Membership

In the eShop you can now link your Club Nintendo Membership to your eShop account, meaning you'll be eligible for extra benefits. Also, there will be playable demo versions of Nintendo 3DS releases but there are no demos to play just yet.

QR Codes

You can scan QR codes for Miis and to get hold of Formees for Freakyforms. Now you can scan a QR code on, say, a magazine advert using the 3DS Camera. You'll then be taken automatically to the website for the QR code through the 3DS internet browser.

Transfer games

Finally, you are now able to transfer content between Nintendo 3DS systems. Software purchased from the Nintendo eShop, Nintendo eShop account funds, and save data including photographs and audio plus 3DS Ambassador Games can now all be easily transferred between your Nintendo 3DS consoles. However, you are taking everyone from one 3DS system and moving it onto another, you can't pick and choose. So really it's for people who have bought a new 3DS system recently - The Legend Of Zelda 3DS, for example. You can't transfer select software to your friend's 3DS.

Adding Funds in the 3DS eShop

You can now save your credit card details to your 3DS, meaning you don't have to enter them each time you want to add more funds.

What do you think of the System Update?

Comments

1. Hylian_Grouch Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 10:34

woke up to this pleasant surprise a couple o hours ago. the best bit is the achievements list in the mii plaza, should take a while to fill that! i dont think i like the pink puzzle pieces though. not good for someone who doesnt get passed in the street very often...

2. Switzerninmaster Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 10:38

I logged on, went on friend list and saw everyone on Mii Plaza. I was like 'UPDATE!!!'
    It's pretty cool, now with 73 hats to get in the new StreetPass quest, this should take months

3. Captain Kuchiki Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 10:47

Also, the camera app by pressing L or R on the homescreen can read non-Mii QR codes and launch the internet channel at lightening speed. Shame there's still no flash player though.

Checking out all the new features was like opening a cool new christmas present and seeing how it works. Very impressed.

4. shy guy 64 Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 10:49

cool, ill update as soon as i can

5. laytonluke911 Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 10:50

Streetpass quest 2 is so much fun! Just spent 55 coins to save the prince in one shot! Time to hit the town!

6. 1singie Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 11:12

1 day early? You mean 6 days late! :) Anyways i am impressed with the 3d video. Better than i thought it would be. I got the Mario 3d land puzzle. It has 40 pieces. 8 pink. Saying i have only ever met 1 person since getting the 3ds at launch, it might never get finished! Only problem is i can't find quest 2. Just asks me to do first one again?

7. Riverlution Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 11:17

Actually, this was meant to come out on the last day of November, so I will not say I am pleased with it being released a day early as it feels it is a week late. That said, I don't really care!

I'm looking forward to demos and DLC really, and none of that is up yet. The recording function is just a gimmick, and I haven't beaten the streetpass puzzles or dungeons that we already had. Still, the update does make the console better overall, and I hope they start shipping them out soon with this update already applied.

8. hairyYetisCloud Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 12:00

I understood that we would be getting a basic messaging program called 'Nintendo Letterbox' in early December...Or will this now be later, or have we had it, but I just cant find it? help please :)

9. ledreppe Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 12:15

Have you completed StreetPass Quest 1 twice, as you wont be able to play StreetPass Quest 2 until you do that - it mentioned this in the article above.

I doubt I'll ever get all 78 achievements in the Mii Plaza, as I hardly get StreetPass encounters. Great, 73 hats to collect now, that's an improvement on the 16 I already have. I'm glad I have something to spend my play coins on now, as I went for months with the maximum 300, and lost many days of collecting! I don't like these pink puzzle pieces, as I only finished puzzle swap 1 by spending play coins. I doubt I'll get enough StreetPass encounters to exchange pink pieces :-(

I tried the video, and I like it. I uploaded a test video to YouTube (my channel is in my sig. below).

I like this system update overall, it's been worth the wait.

10. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 12:50

Stupid question time.
    How do you upload the videos to Youtube?
    Can you upload it straight from the Camera channel or do you have to save the video on the SD card and upload it on the computer?

11. mushroomchow Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 13:29

Screw all that, wheres the damn messaging system!?

12. ultra_slb Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 13:47

='( ambassador program please!!

You have to complete it twice? (mii quest). I didn't even finish once.. I never get streetpass encounters..

13. kevrool Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 14:04

I got Super Mario Land 3D puzzle piece!

14. nukuleardawg Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 14:55

umm what happened to the messaging service?

wasnt it suposed to come with this update?

15. chojin Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 15:11

This is great news, i got 15 achivements up opening up the Mii Plaza :)

16. mr.AR Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 15:22

I love it! its great, i really like making random videos! BUT i cant really say anything about the new streetpass things on mii plaza as, i live on isle of wight and not many poeple have 3DS`S` on the isle of wight! so yeah..but the videos are great! it was a very nice surprize, coz i was just doing the update to see if it was avaible yet and i was thinking to myself oh naa...it wont be there yet...BUT then it stated downlaoding! i was chuffed!

17. Hylian_Grouch Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 16:22

lots of people asking about swapnote (the official name of the 3ds messaging system). all we know is that nintendo said that it would be available sometime in december. we havnt had any news about it since late october and they definitely never promised it as part of this update... just be patient. maybe it will come with the last ambassador games

18. tomutwit Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 16:51

I reckon I already linked my Club Nin membership... yes I have it tells me I have got Freakyforms, DK94 etc

19. Yoshifan007 Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 17:11

my sister is getting a 3ds for christmas and she wanted the 10 ambassador games. if i do a system transfer, will it be a copypasta or c**tnpaste?

20. toady Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 17:30

If you press R on the home screen to get to the camera you can take a picture of a QR code (not a Mii one) and it will take you to the website that it links to

21. hunter metroid Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 17:39

it will remove the data from your system forever

22. toady Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 17:58

c**tnpaste?

ohlol

23. xzeldax Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 18:57

It would be great if Streetpass actually worked on my 3DS.....that and the e-shop don't work because I'm not in the right region. Does anyone know why it doesn't work? I don't understand how the e-shop on my wii works fine but not the 3DS.

Thanks :)

24. shadowlugia101 Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 19:11

umm what happened to the messaging service?

wasnt it suposed to come with this update?

Screw all that, wheres the damn messaging system!?

the messaging system doesn't come with the update, the nintendo e-shop will release this mont so don't worry :wink:

25. CyberGW Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 20:13

YAY! Bring on the demos!

26. Ai64 Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 21:02

Updated mine when I returned home from work. So pleased with the update. More hats and puzzles in streetpass plaza shall keep me busy too and 3D video recorder is pretty good! :D

27. AR master Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 22:10

since i haven't seen it mentioned one of the new puzzle tiles(or whatever they are)is Beat the beat:rhythm paradise.

28. CartoonWar Wednesday 7th Dec 2011 at 22:31

='( ambassador program please!!

um, hello, play coins?

?_?

29. danbish Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 11:00

Couldn't you already do this before? I linked the two ages ago. I can't remember if there was an option to link them when the 3DS launched or when the eShop launched - probably was the eShop. Anyway, I thought it meant something else but going through the menus in the eShop it only brings up one screen which already has my e-mail address in it which I use for my Club Nintendo account.

Am I missing something?

30. L_A Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 16:00

Err... it was possible to do so ever since the e-shop was launched, in June.

Personally, I'm quite pleased by that update. Looks like there's quite a lot of stuff to do in the Mii Plaza... though it'll be even harder to complete it.

31. TwilightLink77 Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 21:10

@chojin I got 18 Achievements by just going on to my Mii Plaza. :D

32. zaine02 Sunday 11th Dec 2011 at 21:01

i thought u could meet mii's vir spotpass now meaning over wifi is that not right?

33. Gazry Saturday 31st Dec 2011 at 12:20

Hi guys, I've searched Google to no avail for the answer to my question.

I understand you can get the pink/purple pieces over spotpass, but where exactly spotpasses these?

I know for certain that none have been released directly by nintendo over wi-fi as mine is almost always connected. I do have 1 pink piece which I Streetpassed from a guy, but I have no idea how he got it in the first place.

My theory is that certain shops (HMV, Game, Mcdonalds) will release them via their wi-fi via spotpass, but this is a bit of a guess.

I've heard many people say the first piece you get is random, so it could be a pink one, then those people that get that pink one will streetpass it then it will grow from their. I am pretty certain this is wrong, because i definitely read that the pink/purple would only be via spotpass.

P.S. Does anyone know about these 'special' Miis?