Best Wii games of all time

The 10 best games in the five year history of Wii, as voted for by you...

Five years ago today the Wii launched in the UK alongside Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Link's brilliant adventure kicked off the Wii in style but it would be just one of many all-time classic Nintendo games that have been released over the last five years. To celebrate Wii's fifth anniversary, we asked you to vote for your best Wii games and here is the top ten. Take a look and argue about the results in the comments below!

10. Donkey Kong Country Returns

We'd been begging for a new Donkey Kong platformer for years and it didn't disappoint. Donkey Kong Country Returns improved on the original with vibrant levels offering new surprises each time yet with enough nostalgic moments to keep the veteran fans happy. Those hardcore fans relished the immense difficulty level, too. We thought they didn't make them like this any more.

You say: What an absolute stunning job Retro did for DK. Classic (read: rock hard) 2D gameplay and visuals that look lush. Jumping into the background for some levels was great but the best stages are the beach sunset ones. Gorgeous to look at and outstanding to play; I've died so many times I've lost count but still I go back for more! danbish

9. Okami

Capcom's amazing adventure had already been released on PS2 by the time it reached Wii but thanks to the Remote being used as if it were your celestial brush, Okami Wii is arguably the definitive version. It stars an unlikely hero - a wolf named Amaterasu who has to lift a curse placed on the land by legendary monster Orochi. Using the celestial brush, you attack enemies and bring life back to the barren earth with an explosion of colour. When it comes to pure adventure games, only Zelda beats it on Wii.

You say: A game that found its true home on Wii. I was gripped by the story and amazed by the Japanese artwork-inspired visuals. Truly a unique game that deserves more praise. sciqueen

8. Monster Hunter Tri

Monster Hunter Tri was a huge deal for Nintendo. Until the third game in the series, Monster Hunter games had always been on PlayStation consoles so it was a massive coup for Nintendo when Capcom decided to release Tri exclusively on Wii. It was a great decision - with 35 massive beasts to slay, the single-player adventure is packed with epic battle after epic battle and working together to take out monsters online is immensely satisfying.

You say: I had only tried one Monster Hunter before on a friend's console and I was left completely clueless as to what I had to do. Tri found a way to help newbies like me while still providing enough content to keep hardened veterans from getting bored. I spent over 300 hours battling monsters just so I could get improved armour or a new weapon. One of the most enjoyable games on any console. shadow663

7. Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess

With the world swooning over Skyward Sword, it's easy to forget just how good The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess was when it was released in 2006. Without Wii MotionPlus swordplay, it may not have the finesse of Skyward Sword but swinging the Remote to take out enemies at the time was great. That's not to say it hasn't aged well - it's still a wonderful adventure with a dark story to tell, brilliant dungeons and, in Midna, one of the great characters.

Previous 1 2 3 Next page

Comments

1. SinnohChampion Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:15

Definately agree that the Super Mario Galaxy games should be on there ^^ I'm just surprised that Galaxy 2 beat Galaxy... I felt the the first one was better because at times I felt Galaxy 2 had just copied one too many aspects from the first game...

2. Link16 Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:18

surprising results imo

3. Xenoblade Hero Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:18

I remember that this was going to be a top 50 X}

To be honest, I expected these games to make it. Pleasantly suprised about Brawl though :D

4. soopahgamer Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:24

we all know it

SSB has to be cause it's a all star cast and this is when you can see peach beat up bowser

5. tomonm Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:28

I remember that this was going to be a top 50 X}

It was but then everyone voted for Brawl, Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword! Those three got way more votes than anything else. New Super Mario Bros Wii and Metroid Prime Trilogy were unlucky not to make it into the ten.

6. pepper jim Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:30

WHERE IS RESIDENT EVIL 4 ?!?!?!?!?

7. Xenoblade Hero Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:31

Damn people's restrictive gaming tastes XD

:}

8. Rabbid_girl Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:32

Pleasantly suprised that Okami made it, definately deserves to be there. Think Skyward Sword should've won, but that would've been too obvious.

9. Xenoblade Hero Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:36

Think Skyward Sword should've won, but that would've been too obvious.

You have to remember though that not many people have played it. Some may be getting the game for Christmas, others may be saving up for 3DS games :) It's a shame, because I'm sure it would have won if more people had experienced the game.

10. The_BAAD_Man Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:46

I'm addicted to Xenoblade Chronicles! :D

11. RyanCraddock Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:50

Well... considering by the time Christmas comes I'll own 8 out of these 10 games, (I'm getting Skyward Sword for Christmas), I think I must have pretty good taste!

When I saw Skyward Sword at number 2 I thought to myself, 'but what's left' and was quite surprised that Super Smash Bros. got the number 1 spot.

But then thinking about it it makes sense. If it has most, or all to some people, of the best Nintendo characters in it then it's pretty much certain to win.

Interesting post. =]

12. linkfinity Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:55

any body else think the thumb nail was for lost winds?
    anyways... very surpised when i saw SMG2 in 3rd, but very happy, great game, but skyward sword and ssbb have wider appeal, and are the better games (imo).
    but for me no more heroes (1 or 2) should have been up their, i'm not ignorant enough to say in the top 5, but 7th would have seemed right for me.
    also, lack of kirby make kirby cry...
    <( ; _ ; )>

13. Flag Captured Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 17:59

To be honest, I think that all are fair except for Mario Galaxy and Mario kart being that high. I'm no fanboy or a hater, but I didn't think they were that good. They were good games, but not in the top 5 on Wii in my honest opinion. Metroid Prime 3 deserved a place and Twilight Princess should have been much higher. My top 3 would have been Metroid Prime 3 1st, Twilight Princess 2nd and Brawl 3rd, though they were all absolutely phenomenal games. Brawl was good, but I felt it was more of a casual title than the others, like how I'd been playing it for a day and had half of the characters unlocked, and would have done it even quicker on the Subspace Emissary, whereas Melee took me weeks to do...
    Metroid Prime 3 was by far my favourite game though. I got it on the off chance because it looked a little bit like a space shooter (Dare I say it, because I'd just finished Halo 3 and was looking for another campaign that involved aliens and shooting things), and I was incredibly surprised by how good it was. Absolutely loved every minute of it!

14. ZeldaKing Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 18:01

ZOMG i'm in there! #bestmomentofmylife
    Pretty much what i expected to see with one or two exceptions.. the order surprised me though

Good work guys

15. RSStarGuy Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 18:09

Glad SSBB made it in there, that game has probably been the most fun I've ever had in a Wii game, and possibly in any game ever. Even though in retrospect it could have been better, it was so much fun and had so much variety and creativity in the game. I think this is a very good list of top games, including games I have played and games that I want to play :)

16. Xenoblade Hero Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 18:16

I would have personally loved a Guitar Hero game to have gotten in the list. Knew it wouldn't happen ;)

17. dannyyyy Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 18:37

Not surprised at that list at all. They all deserve the place they got.

18. samus_killer Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 18:46

Not personal top 10, but a pretty darn good list all the same. Unique and that's why I like it... well I like it even more so, being that they quoted me for SMG2, thanks.

19. shy guy 64 Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 19:10

that list just makes purfect sense for this place

and the top 3 is what i would have for my top 3

though i'd have brawl and skyward sword the other way round

20. JamieRIOT Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 19:14

Great list there.

21. Wiitabix Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 19:22

I'm delighted with the order. I would have Xenoblade Chronicles a little higher but all 10 are thoroughly awesome and a joy to experience.

22. tomutwit Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 19:28

1. Galaxy
    2. Skyward
    3. Galaxy 2
    4. Twilight Princess
    5. Animal Crossing

Not bad though

23. DomkeyKong Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 19:34

I agree with this, except Other M should replace Mario Galaxy 2... Otherwise great list!

24. retrotoad Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 19:40

Totally right there, SSBB was the best Wii experience in my eyes.

25. lminett Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 19:48

Im glad to see that the best game of all time was what everyone wanted as number one, good list!

26. ploiper Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 19:51

lack of kirbys epic yarn sickens me.

27. IG-42 Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 20:12

i'd put okami above TP

28. okami112 Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 20:18

Im glad that Okami made it on the list :D didn't know that many people played it :D guess i was wrong :D

29. Moo-dyman Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 20:34

That's pretty much my opinion.

30. jjmguy Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 20:46

SSBB First :D
    surprising but good, and i agree with most althoguh i don't have skyward sword yet. Super Mario Galaxy 2 deserves it's spot above the first, because it brings many new elements and makes one of the best games even better

31. Baker1000 Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 21:26

I would put Xenoblade in the top three, but Smash Bros wouldn't be #1. I own all of those games except Okami and Monster Hunter Tri, so I guess I have good taste.

32. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 21:41

I wasn't expecting the end result.

33. ARWING64 Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 21:54

Brawl is the deserved winner :D

34. hodgem Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 22:52

glad to see myself mentioned for Mario galaxy :D And I agree with SSBB as number one :D

35. IPecksU Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 23:01

Don't hurt me but I really didn't like xenoblade after about 20 hours in, it started out really exciting and just simmered down and got tedious so I gave it up as a bad job sadly, looks like I'm in the minority though..

36. Red-Wolf Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 23:02

It was only ever going to be either Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword or Smash Bros. at the top. Still, Xenoblade is the ultimate Wii game in my eyes!

37. Red-Wolf Thursday 8th Dec 2011 at 23:06

You didn't give it enough time! One of the best things about Xenoblade's story is that it subtley grows and builds as it rolls along and before you realise it has ballooned into a tale of a Lord of the Rings level of grandeur! You fail!

38. HughPR Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 11:48

Before I clicked on the article I had no idea what was going to come 1st. I thought maybe Galaxy or SS, but not Brawl. Nice surprise though, and it's true. We had a Wii at my prep school and we played Brawl all the time, then I played it all the time at home, and now when my sister comes home from uni we still play a bit, so I guess it's lasted a long time! We just like to each be random characters, 3 stock, random stage, against two computers.

39. Beyond Birthday Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 14:28

Joke of a list for several reasons:

1) Mario Kart Wii even being on it
    2) Brawl top spot
    3) No Metroid
    4) SS not being top
    5) TP is too far down

40. Icytroid1993 Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 16:15

Lack of Metroid makes me wanna throw up! Also, Beyond birthday don't dis Mario Kart! :x
    My top ten are, and not necessarily in the right order:
    1}Super Mario Galaxy 2
    2}Metroid Other M
    3}Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
    4}Super Mario Galaxy
    5}Mario Kart Wii
    6}The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
    7}Donkey Kong Country Returns
    8}Super Smash Bros Brawl
    9}New Super Mario Bros Wii
    10}Tomb Raider Anniversary

Other games I also enjoyed include Star Wars The Force Unleashed, Mario Strikers Charged Football, Tomb Raider Underworld, Super Paper Mario e.t.c. :)

41. sciqueen Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 17:57

Hooray for Okami! (And my comment being featured :D )

So happy that Xenoblade made the list but disappointed that Kirby's Epic Yarn wasn't included.

42. Samster296 Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 23:05

I agree that Brawl should be number one. Brawl is my favourite game on the Wii and it is defiantly a worthy number one.

43. Groomy Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 23:18

I would put galaxy 1 top, i know it's what everyone's expecting, it may not technically be as great as galaxy 2 or skyward sword, but the sheer impact and fun i had with that game surely has to be considered

44. dirge71 Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 23:52

If you were surprised that Brawl won, get it and play with 3 mates.
    You will no longer be surprised.

45. Dave-O Saturday 10th Dec 2011 at 00:45

That's a good list for the top ten but I'm surprised Skyward Sword never made the number 1 spot. My top ten Wii games are:
    1) Skyward Sword
    2) Mario Galaxy 2
    3) Mario Galaxy
    4) Smash Bros. Brawl
    5) Resident Evil 4
    6) Twilight Princess
    7) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
    8) Mario Kart Wii
    9) New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    10) Tales of Symphonia 2

46. Eragon Firesword Saturday 10th Dec 2011 at 13:20

The only changes I'd make to this list would be to move Xenoblade and Okami about three or four places higher, and to swap out DK Country Returns for Metroid Trilogy. Other than that, good list.

47. Everegreen Saturday 10th Dec 2011 at 20:10

Galaxy over Twilight Princess? And SSBB over Skyward Sword? Really?

48. Kirby8 Saturday 10th Dec 2011 at 23:16

I have most of these games! And all the ones I own on this list, I LOVE!! These are definitely some of the best games the Wii has to offer. Kirby needs a bit more love. I haven't had a chance to play much of the new one though. And Kirby Epic Yarn didn't have the difficulty.

49. the fly guy Sunday 11th Dec 2011 at 07:54

Woop SSBB got 1st!
    Woopx2 I was quoting for Xenoblade.

Yeah, now that I finshed SS it's my 2nd favorite game.
    Pretty much happy with that list apart from the lack of goldeneye. Yeah, I know that not many people would vote for it but, meh.
    Also I strongly don't think the galaxy's or DK should be In there. Mabye Metroid in there too? I'm just so happy that so many people voted for Xenoblade AND I was on it!

50. n1nt2nd3 Sunday 11th Dec 2011 at 10:21

LOL I have all ten. I am amazing

51. ninjafox Sunday 11th Dec 2011 at 12:29

I am suprised by Brawl taking the top spot as i expected one of the Mario Galaxy's or Zelda's to but none the less it is a good list and a reminder of all the great games that have come out on the Wii :D

52. Starman64O Sunday 11th Dec 2011 at 13:07

Not bad at all, came very close to mine,

1.Skyward Sword
    2.Smash bros
    3.Mario Galaxy 2
    4.Mario Galaxy
    5.Xenoblade
    6.Mario Kart
    7.Twilight Princess
    8.Okami
    9.Monster Hunter
    10.Metroid Prime Trilogy

53. noodle link Sunday 11th Dec 2011 at 14:50

Lack of NMH2 and Resident Evil 4 makes this list invalid. Still, decent choices. I was expecting Brawl to be number one. Oh, the sweet, sweet memories I have of playing that game...

54. Porgey_XD Sunday 11th Dec 2011 at 17:14

Last time I tried, I couldn't find any SSBB online games :'(

55. deja92 Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 07:04

if i must say SSBB was unbelieveable totally suprised then Mario Kart non-other Guntiar Hero yet the Tony Hawk game wasn't to bad either still SSBB :shock: :!:

56. Oddjob64 Monday 19th Dec 2011 at 18:07

Where the hell is Goldeneye? and why would anyone vote for SSBB i
    played on it at my cousins and it's terible :evil:

57. GoddessSword Tuesday 20th Dec 2011 at 15:25

Er excuise me but weres Mario Bros. Wii in all of these classic games?! :shock:

58. Ewonka Thursday 22nd Dec 2011 at 17:58

All of them are amazing :D but i dont think smash bros should be first :/

59. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Sunday 1st Apr 2012 at 17:39

I agree with this (almost) completely. I think Galaxy and Galaxy 2 should be higher but Skyward Sword and Smash Bros deserve the high spot. Good to see Mario Kart Wii not too high. That game was overrated so much.

60. morg199911 Sunday 1st Apr 2012 at 18:04

finally, i was sick and tierd of SMG2 winning every award, because i can't really see whats so great about it. definetly agree with number one but i'm dissapointed xenoblade chronicles only got fith. :(

61. Komodo_Wolfgang Sunday 1st Apr 2012 at 19:31

What exactly makes Mario Galaxy 2 better than the 1st one?

Skyward Sword isnt all that great when you look at the other Zeldas... its meant to be an adventure... theres not half as much in Skyward Sword.

Isnt The Last Story meant to be a great game? Im yet to buy it..

62. ThePokekid78 Monday 2nd Apr 2012 at 14:23

So, Mario Galaxy 2 was the greatest Nintendo game ever but not the greatest wii game? How does that work??

63. Rabb3D Monday 2nd Apr 2012 at 15:27

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    You read my mind

64. ARWING64 Monday 2nd Apr 2012 at 19:11

Sonic Colours and Goldeneye should have been on this list; or at least mentioned also Resident Evil 4 should be on this list

65. LOZEliteLink Monday 2nd Apr 2012 at 20:53

It's good to see that i'm not the only person that loves brawl and seriously... Mario Kart Wii? Worst game eva.

66. dannyyyy Tuesday 3rd Apr 2012 at 07:52

Twilight Princess should of been higher. It's easily one of the best Wii games, way better than Mario Kart Wii.

67. Tanrei Tuesday 3rd Apr 2012 at 18:38

Will someone please explain why Trauma Centre Second Opinion didn't make it on this list and Mario Kart did?

68. fluggy2003 Wednesday 4th Apr 2012 at 08:33

This is pants!!! Think we should have some consistancy here please!!!!! Smash Bros Brawl was number 10 in your Greatest Nintendo Games Ever this month!!! Now, out of the blue it leapfrogs Galaxy 2 (the No. 1 Nintendo game EVER according to NOM) , Mario Kart Wii AND its also better than Skyward Sword. Who writes this tosh!! I'm not Brawl isn't a cracking game but its not in the same league as Skyward and Galaxy2!!!!

69. wghtmf Saturday 7th Apr 2012 at 12:10

No surprises here at all.

70. EpicMario Friday 20th Apr 2012 at 19:54

Mario galaxy 2 should be 1st

71. spacemen13 Monday 7th May 2012 at 10:48

Somebody forgot Mario party 9 though you are right about SSBB, I am trying unlock all of the trophys, stages, music and complete all the events.

72. rukaio101 Monday 7th May 2012 at 11:10

73. Commandervideo Tuesday 8th May 2012 at 14:59

It goes something like this

1 Smash bros brawl
    17 Trackmania
    18 Bit trip complete
    19 De blob
    20 Epic mickey

74. trogdor25 Sunday 22nd Jul 2012 at 10:40

No Rayman Origins?

I don't like that and neither do the French.

75. Yaldabaoth Sunday 22nd Jul 2012 at 21:08

Where the hell is Ninjabread Man? And Carnival? And Big Rigs 2? Seriously though, in my opinion Xenoblade should have been higher, but I am also pleasantly surprised with Brawl. Death to Popcorn Arcade!

76. cheatmaster30 Sunday 22nd Jul 2012 at 23:21

Super Smash Bros Brawl as best Wii game of all time? Not particularly unexpected.

Also, glad to see Donkey Kong Country Returns on the list, that's an awesome game which is often overlooked for these types of things.

77. Wiison Monday 23rd Jul 2012 at 07:09

Errr..............where is Metroid Prime 3 Corruption? Anyway, like cheatmaster i'm pleased to see DKCR on this list :) It's a superb platform title!

78. superwii Monday 23rd Jul 2012 at 15:38

Super Smash Bros Brawl just might be the most overrated game of all time.

79. imbusydoctorwho Monday 23rd Jul 2012 at 21:23

Brawls great,but The Last Story is better.

80. hamzahdsi Tuesday 24th Jul 2012 at 10:16

Definitely either Twilight Princess or MH Tri for me

81. personface Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 17:53

Well, If you haven't got the first Galaxy then 2 would be better. Still, I see your point.