Mega Man is still a key franchise - Capcom

"We will have official announcemenets on the future of Mega Man"

Despite the cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3 for 3DS, Capcom has moved to reassure fans that it's not all over for Mega Man. Indeed Christian Svensson, the company's senior VP, has insisted that Mega Man remains a key franchise for the company.

What's more, he told Game Informer that Capcom is thinking about the future of Mega Man and will make an official statement in the future.

"Mega Man is a key brand for Capcom and will remain so," said Svensson. "I don't have any products we've announced publicly that I can point to and say 'see, I told you' but there are 'top men' within Capcom thinking about the future of the brand and where it's going. We will have official announcements in due course."

Yet Svensson is willing to accept that the cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3 disappointed a lot of fans who will be eager to see what happens next.

"Unfortunately there are times that we have to make decisions that don't make sense to the community and the fallout, while understandable, is regrettable. Our relationships with fans are extremely important and I know we've got some that are disenfranchised right now," he said.

"Unfortunately, in this situation, there is no panacea. It's going to take time to rebuild those bridges. Product cycles are long and it'll be a little while until fans can see the light at the end of the tunnel. And the last thing I want to do is prematurely announce something in the name of sating the fans that gets cancelled or redirected later, thereby creating an even larger wound. I can only ask for people's patience."

The lastw e saw of Mega Man was in Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge, a Game Boy title, that was re-released through the 3DS eShop.

Are you looking forward to seeing what happens with Mega Man next?

[ Source: Game Informer ]

Comments

1. jonnyjazz Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 10:54

To be honest I don't care if they cancelled this, I'd rather play the Wiiware games of it. But I wish Capcom would stop cancelling games like these cause I'm fairly sure there are gonna be a lot of Mega man fans who will be disappointed and the same goes for when they cancelled Ace Attorney Investigations 2 over here they dissapointed a lot of the fans of that series of well. It's annoying but hopefully these may emerge over some kind of dowloadable content like when the original Phoenix Wright games were released on Wiiware, it's unlikely but still...

2. keero16 Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 11:29

I don't know, Capcom, MML3 was very hyped, and then it was cancelled? I think they're just saying they have a future with Mega Man to calm the fans down. All I'm saying that he better be a 3rd party character in the new Smash Bros., because if they add a Street Fighter character I will seriously never buy another non-Mega Man Capcom game again.

3. imbusydoctorwho Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 13:17

They've got a funny way of showing it.

4. masamune Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 16:47

okay Capcom

so you give the fans the game they have been SCREAMING for for over a decade, then tell them to help make the game, THEN turn round and go 'lol nope sorry boiz'. i know you're butthurt over Inafune leaving, but god damn Capcom

their business structure lately really isn't doing them any favours (charging for cheat codes... and demos)

5. Oxo64 Friday 9th Dec 2011 at 18:47

I'd probably believe them, if they hadn't cancelled the latest Megaman game.

6. MartinIsAwesome Sunday 11th Dec 2011 at 13:44

I'm quite new to Mega Man, only having played the first three games, but I'd certainly hope that Mega Man won't just fade into obscurity. They really need to come up with something that'll make Mega Man a big deal again. The WiiWare games where a good start, but now is the time to move on from that retro-niche practice of "Oh, hey guys! Remember when games ussed to be like this?" and make something that stand up against the likes of Mario's recent ventures in 3D platforming and or his ressurgance into the 2D.

7. Darkblizz Sunday 11th Dec 2011 at 23:23

They'd better give us Mega Man in the next Smash Bros.

Or a remake of Battle and Chase. That game was the monkey's nuts.