Aonuma: Future Zelda games will use Skyward Sword-style controls

"We cannot go back to buttons"

Legend Of Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma has told Official Nintendo Magazine that he can't see Nintendo returning to standard button controls in future Legend Of Zelda games.

Loading video...

Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword is compatible with Wii MotionPlus and although Aonuma thought about scrapping the motion controls during development, he now concedes that it would be hard to go back to the button controls as used in games such as Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker and Ocarina Of Time.

Asked if future Zelda games will use the MotionPlus control method, Aonuma said: "I honestly think we cannot go back to button controls now, so I think that these controls will be used in future Zelda titles, too."

So what does that mean for Legend Of Zelda Wii U and the Wii U controller? Hopefully we'll discover more at E3 2012 when Nintendo reveal Wii U's final design.

You can read the full interview with Eiji Aonuma in the January issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale on Thursday 15 December.

Comments

1. NE1 Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 12:07

This is good news, as much as the design for the WiiU looks amazing, I never want to play a Zelda game a different way! In fact, i'd quite like these controls to just be added to past ones, imagine a motion plus Wind Waker guys?!

2. andisart Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 12:10

This is the questions everyone has been talking about, so it's good to get some official thoughts. Should be interesting to see how exaclty Zelda Wii U's controlls will be in the end!

3. RedBearLuX Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 12:18

It doesn't really mean Wii motion plus controls, but motion control in general which as we know the Wiiu features. I think that whilst Wii motion plus was great for Skyward Sword it really didn't add anything to sword play for me. But archery, the beetle, the puzzle keys for boss doors? All of that was great, but I really wouldn't mind too much going back to a button press for a sword swing.

4. ploiper Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 12:30

looks like i wont be getting this zelda game either then, oh wells.

5. choclate-milk Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 13:39

So I guess using the WiiU controller is out of the question, then?

6. MrChewtoy Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 14:52

So I guess using the WiiU controller is out of the question, then?

It could still be used as an additional screen, much like the 3DS's touch screen. I'd love to have motion controls and the ability to quickly scan a map or select an item.

7. Hylian_Grouch Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 15:39

its bound to use both the new wii u controller and a wii motion plus sword. the tablet could just sit on your lap and display the map or you could hold it up to the screen to look "through" it and see things that werent there before like monster stats or their weak points, a bit like the visors in metroid prime. i bet theres an item in the game that link looks through (telescope, some kind of looking glass/mirror) which requires you to hold up the new tablet controller...

8. tomutwit Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 16:51

Awesome

9. AR master Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 17:14

couldn't they do both?

10. Waldy565 Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 17:22

mmm, totally agree! been playing SS today actually, so i really do understnad, but you still gotta loce ocarina and aLTTP, and there button games, so...

11. MD1500 Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 17:36

The Wii U controller would be perfect for a "Lens of Truth".

12. lightning900 Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 19:03

couldn't they do both?

They could, but it would mean that motion controls would be wasted. SS worked so well because all the enemies blocked in specific directions, if your using button controls this is impossible.

13. Haru Waji Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 19:12

This pleases me greatly. I love what that acheived with SS, i'm sure the're going to take it to completly new levels. The Wii U pad could be used for stuff like maps and several other infomation. I think it would work really well.

14. zelda97 Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 19:52

Errmm... not sure what to say... cool... :|

15. jimbobsquarepant Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 20:23

I think it's a good call, as im sure people would be disappointed if Zelda was to return to button controls, but I can see it being a bit of a handful if you have to use the Wii and Wii U controls at the same time

16. GoddessSword Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 21:10

Sounds great but the whole tablet thing sounds... awkward

17. Darkblizz Monday 12th Dec 2011 at 22:48

But I LIKE buttons!

18. Medea Tuesday 13th Dec 2011 at 00:17

Pity. I prefer buttons to motion control. Its not as tiring

19. CraigEmberson Tuesday 13th Dec 2011 at 03:11

We knew the Wii U is designed so that not only the backwards compatible Wii games use the Wii Remotes, but Wii U games can be developed to use both the Wii U Controller AND Wii Remote - especially Wii Remote Plus. So it doesn't surprise me and I'm grateful for Skyward Sword's vast and thoughtful control scheme - it's fantastic but at the same time, it's nothing hugely strenuous (as I was saying on Zelda Informer) because I've had physical problems and this game hasn't hurt to play too much because it's so easy to control but in a totally new and immersive way!

20. 91nintendo Tuesday 13th Dec 2011 at 07:47

Well, it looks like I won't be playing Zelda anymore ¬_¬

21. Wiitabix Tuesday 13th Dec 2011 at 08:23

Once you get used to the controls, they feel natural. To go back to buttons would be like admitting defeat for something you didn't really lose.

22. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 13th Dec 2011 at 10:56

I'm totally in favour of this, but not even because of the accurate motion control for the sword - no, I'm more interested in the return of the Dash Actions. I always knew that dashing would be my favourite new feature, and I wasn't wrong as I spend much of my playtime with my thumb on that A button. I'm pretty sure the only reason the Potion Shop is still in business is because of the rupees I've been spending on Stamina Potion++.

I hope that the tablet does get used as a map like the top screen in the DS Zelda games, as the only minor frustration I have with Skyward Sword is that theres no mini-map on screen meaning I have to keep pressing the + button when I want to get my bearings. Luckily, you spend so much time repeatedly visiting the same areas that its not a problem once your familiar with your locale. I also hope you get to draw on the maps again like in the DS titles, a feature I miss when playing other games since.

23. spacemen13 Tuesday 13th Dec 2011 at 16:30

I think this is a awesome idea before motion plus you were just a guy playing as link now with the motion plus YOU ARE LINK!

24. koopa_kicker Tuesday 13th Dec 2011 at 17:59

Future Zelda games will use Skyward Sword controls...
    And how would that work on 3DS. :wink: