Best 3DS Ambassador GBA games

What should you play first

Ten free GBA games will land on 3DS tomorrow as part of the 3DS Ambassador Program. These games will be available to those who bought their handheld before the 3DS price cut. As we revealed yesterday, these games are very nearly the best of GBA so which one should you play first? Read on as we reveal the best GBA Ambassador Games...

10. F-Zero: Maximum Velocity

At the time, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity was impressive. A GBA launch game, F-Zero showed just what the handheld was capable of - bringing SNES-quality visuals to a handheld for the first time. Although Maximum Velocity took place 25 years after the SNES original, it looks very similar and that means it looks a bit dated now which is always a problem for a future racer. It's still good but anyone wanting a full on, fast F-Zero experience should look out for GameCube's F-Zero GX instead.

9. Kirby And The Amazing Mirror

Following the release of Kirby Air Ride, the pink blob was in the doldrums until this fun platformer came along. What's more, it does multiple Kirbys on the same screen before Kirby's Mass Attack or Kirby's Adventure Wii. If he's having trouble in a stage, he can use his mobile phone to call upon three other blobs who will help him take down enemies and stand on switches. Yet armed with his usual array of hilarious copy abilities, Kirby is more than a match for Dark Meta Knight (King Dedede is on holiday) as he attempts to retrieve the shards of mirror in a surprisingly long game.

8. Mario Vs Donkey Kong

It's hard to imagine now, but Mario Vs Donkey Kong saw the plumber going up against Donkey Kong for the first time in ten years. In Bowser, Mario had moved onto a new nemesis in his console platform games but this excellent puzzler put the old enemies together for the first time since Game Boy's Donkey Kong. Indeed, Mario Vs Donkey Kong was seen as the successor to the Game Boy classic as the plumber had to climb ladders and look for keys in order to rescue Mini-Marios from the clutches of Nintendo's great ape.

7. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

While reviewers were going wild over Advance Wars on GBA, Fire: Emblem: The Scared Stones was slightly overlooked. Truth is, this great strategy game is actually rather similar to Advance Wars only without the cartoon characters. But then Fire Emblem is a serious business as when a character in your team dies, that's it; they're gone forever and you can't revive them. While Advance Wars is fun for strategy newcomers, the RPG leanings of Fire Emblem make it a bit more hardcore with HP, levelling up and character classes to think about as well as a plot to follow. Not a massive improvement over the GBA original but if you like strategy games, this is addictive.

Previous 1 2 3 Next page

Comments

1. kaitojamespartri Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 16:17

Defo Mario Kartt!! :D

2. Ouendanhero Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 16:19

Even though I've already played it to death, I'm looking forward to playing through Metroid Fusion again. It's one of my favourite games of all time!

3. keero16 Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 16:19

There are so many good ones.... in terms of how much I have enjoyed these games in the past, I'd have to say my top ones are
    1. Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
    2. LoZ: Minish Cap
    3. Yoshi
    4. Metroid Fusion
    5. Kirby

4. OracleOfPokemon Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 16:25

Before I knew what the games were, I was going to play the worst games first, and save the best 'til last. Now, I have a problem. They are all amazing, and I haven't played any of them before!

I guess Minish Cap is the best up there for me, but I don't have the heart to call any of them the worst...

5. Choccie Milk Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 16:27

Yoshi's Island on the GBA was my first every video game and I still occasionaly play it today. Can't wait to have it with me wherever I go with my 3DS.

6. lminett Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 16:42

Most likly fire emblem, i need to start playing thos games again

7. AR master Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 16:45

I never played any of these before!

8. tomonm Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 17:40

I never played any of these before!

Wow! You're going to have a great time tomorrow. All these games are really good...

9. GallifreyanGalla Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 17:46

I never played any of these before!

Well then, you're not alone, because I haven't played any of them either.

10. Dan-the-Wii-man Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 17:46

Minish Cap and Metroid :3

11. CDS Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 18:12

MARIO KART: SUPER CIRCUIT and WARIO LAND 4.
    Had both on the GBA,
    ...
    and lost the cartridges.

Be good to play those two again.

I might consider some of the others as well.

12. Beyond Birthday Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 18:29

As a Zelda adventure, Minish Cap isn't up there with the huge Link To The Past (which was re-released on Game Boy Advance with Four Swords) or even Phantom Hourglass

Every other canon Zelda game is better than Phantom Hourglass. Hourglass doesn't even compare to Minish Cap.

As for what I'll play first, either Minish Cap or Wario Land 4. Posssibly Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

13. Shmilly Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 18:32

Are these just available on the Ambassador programme or will non-early adopters be able to download them too? I guess what I'm asking is, will they actually be on the e-shop? I'd be perfectly happy if pre-price-drop owners get them for free but the rest of us have to pay. I'd certainly pay for a few of these classics if I can get hold of them tomorrow. If they're only a free gift to some 3DS users then it also seems Nintendo are missing out on a shedload of cash.

14. Kakashi1987 Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 18:34

All these games are amazing, thanks nintendo

15. CDS Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 19:14

Preety sure it was confirmed these are only for the AMMBASSADOR PROGRAMMERS.

16. thenintendoer Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 19:16

funnily enough practically all the games here are either ones i could never seem to find or for some reason i wasnt interested at the time

17. OracleOfPokemon Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 19:17

They are making the 10 NES games available soon, but Nintendo says that they have no plans to release these GBA games to the general public. Only us AMBASSADORS. :D

18. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 20:35

Most likely Yoshi's Island, as it has been my most wanted since it was first unveiled. Dead looking foward to Kirby and Wario Land too, although Kirby will have to wait a while since I'm currently playing (and loving) Mass Attack and hope to recieve Kirby's Adventure Wii for Christmas. I'll most likely be often dipping into WarioWare as well. Speaking of, I love that all the screenshots for that game come from the Gamecube GBA Player.

19. Ai64 Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 21:05

Mario kart or Metroid fusion shall be what I might play first! So epic! :D

20. gmundy Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 21:39

I haven't played any of these before, where was I in the GBA period??? I'm most looking forward to LoZ Minish Cap. I love Zelda!

21. kirby711 Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 21:51

I intend to play Kirby first. No surprises there then.

22. Toadmaniac2 Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 21:56

Has a specific time been given for when they'll be made available? Do Nintendo have a time they usually update the eShop?

23. fisher2007 Thursday 15th Dec 2011 at 23:22

i can't get's these games because I'm not a Ambassador also i brought the 3ds in August 16.

24. Komodo_Wolfgang Friday 16th Dec 2011 at 00:30

MUCH BETTER HAUL THAN THE NES GAMES! Well...maybe.

I think I prefer yoshi and minish cap to the rest, but that doesnt mean they dont all look amazing.

I still say Minish cap would work well if they did a 3DS revamp... having it in full 3D, and the Kinstones a spotpass & play coins feature thingy would be great!

25. zaine02 Friday 16th Dec 2011 at 08:55

i just got them all yay now to play but what first... humm i thinking mario kart or yoshi or zelda EEEP i cant pic lol

26. RaidingRaichu Friday 16th Dec 2011 at 13:44

Fire Emblem and Yoshi's Island are my faves so far. With Kirby coming in at a close third. I'm going to go play now!

27. hunter metroid Friday 16th Dec 2011 at 18:55

the cars in f-zero are really bad at going round the coners but the rest of them are brilliant

28. mario612 Friday 16th Dec 2011 at 19:48

Metroid Fusion, Kirby and Yoshi's Island 3 are awesome and Zelda Minish Cap is just plain epic but the mario kart and F-Zero are a bit of a let down for me as the handeling is pretty iffy on both :( Warioware is good fun Warioland the same and Fire Emblem looks like a real challenge overall a BRILLIANT selection of games and ones I'm looking sinking my teeth into! :D

29. CDS Friday 16th Dec 2011 at 19:57

Played both MARIO KART: SUPER CIRCUIT and FIRE EMBLEM: SACRED STONES today. Completed all of the 50cc cups on MK:SC and half way through the 100cc. Hardest MARIO KART I've ever played - until I downloaded MARIO KART 64 from the WII SHOP.

30. Arceus_Ruler Saturday 17th Dec 2011 at 13:39

Having already played Yoshi's Island, I instead went straight to the three games I had been most excited about getting - Minish Cap (I have played it before, just never completed it), Fire Emblem and Metroid Fusion. Minish Cap was a nostalgia trip for me, because I had loved it as a kid (even though I never got past the second dungeon) and I spent a long time on it. Fire Emblem has me hooked on its ridiculously amazing gameplay (I'm a large strategy fan) and I'm playing it as I write this. Fusion was the least anticipated of the three, but when I played it I realized how foolish I had been to ever think about doubting it. The story is brilliant and the SA-X creeped the hell out of me. Looking forward to playing all these three games all the way over Christmas and beyond!

31. Kirby8 Saturday 17th Dec 2011 at 13:46

I intend to play Kirby first. No surprises there then.

HAHA! SAME! YAY KIRBY!!! Love Amazing Mirror!

(>^_^)> ^(^_^)^ <(^_^<)

32. CyberGW Saturday 17th Dec 2011 at 15:19

Minish Cap is my favourite at the mo, with WarioWare shortly behind!
    Minish Cap has superb music, especially with my brand new headphones I got on Thursday!

33. rachaeln Sunday 18th Dec 2011 at 19:57

surprise favorite of mine at the mo is warioware (never played it before) brilliant short bursts of fun :)
    yoshi is fantastic , i played that to the finish back in the day so nice to see it again.
    might go for a bit of kirby (never had it) or fire emblem next (i didn't finish sacred stones so will be nice to try it again)
    brilliant selection am very happy :) worth the wait!

34. jfm24 Sunday 18th Dec 2011 at 21:13

loving fire emblem at the moment - it is so addictive :D

35. TomMc92 Monday 19th Dec 2011 at 07:44

I don't agree with yoshi being first but i still enjoy the game. My first place would either be Warioware or Fire Emblem going by what ive been on the most since they came out.

36. the fly guy Monday 19th Dec 2011 at 10:25

I was 6 :D

Fire emblem is like dragon quest mixed with advance wars. Oh wait thats already out.

Fire emblem is by far the best. like I said It's like dragon quest wars, only better.

37. psyche1701 Monday 19th Dec 2011 at 16:21

Just had a go on Mario Kart Super Circuit (after many hours on MK7) - cripes, those Mario Kart oldie games are WAY harder than I remember, finished LAST on my first race! (and I remember getting quite good on Super Circuit back on my beloved GBA SP)

38. skyluigi Monday 19th Dec 2011 at 16:43

Having never played a Metroid game (I know, I know), I have to say I'm impressed with Fusion. I'm glad it was included!