Your most wanted games of 2012: 3. Luigi's Mansion 2

Move over Mario. 2012 is the year of Luigi!

Forget the Wii U announcement! While we didn't officially measure the decibels, we reckon Luigi's Mansion 2 got the biggest whoop at last year's Nintendo conference.

Loading video...

Everyone loves Luigi. Fans are always delighted when he shows up half-way through a Mario adventure and many choose to play as him over Mario in Mario Kart. Yet unless you count the edutainment horrorshow that was Mario Is Missing, 2001's GameCube launch title Luigi's Mansion was the first proper game where Luigi played the starring role as he hunted for Mario in a haunted house, sucking ghosts along the way in his Poltergust 3000.

No one could deny that it was a charming adventure but it was also one that could be completed easily in a day. Now developer Next Level Games (Mario Strikers: Charged Football, Punch-Out!!) have created at least three mansions for Luigi to go ghostbusting in.

It might take you longer to get through each mansion, too. For starters, catching ghosts won't simply be a case of flashing a light at them as this time you'll need to charge up your torch to release a strobe before sucking in the ghost.

We're also being promised that you'll have plenty of puzzles to solve, although you may have some assistance from Toad.

Back to the ghostbusting, Professor E.Gadd's new Poltergust 5,000 has a wider nozzle which means you can suck up more than one ghost at a time. This should make for some entertaining scenes with Luigi desperately running backwards as he attempts to suck each ghost.

One of the great things about the GameCube game was that it really made you feel like you were up against it as you tried to suck King Boo into your small vacuum cleaner. With the GameCube controller clamped in your hands, there was a definite sense of struggle as the ghost fought against you and the sense of relief when it finally gave in was palpable.

Luigi's Mansion 2 looks to have a similarly strong atmosphere with wonderful lighting and amazing animation. Luigi has never looked so good.

Comments

1. Magmortar963 Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 12:44

Is there anywhere I can pre - order this yet.

If I pre - order this in store at GAME, will I get a Luigi's Mansion 2 3DS Case (like 3D Land and Mario Kart 7)

2. callum2003 Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 12:55

Luigi's Mansion 2 Looks amazing I want it

3. Gamesman2000 Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 13:21

Really looking forward to this! :D Also, this came second in the poll though, not third:

4. tomonm Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 15:03

It was third at the deadline for the votes...

5. bennyt Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 16:28

Fingers crossed it gets an early release date

6. skyluigi Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 16:33

To be honest, as long as it's Luigi, I'll buy it.

7. shy guy 64 Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 16:57

i really cant wait for this

8. Alive235 Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 17:09

I love luigi, definitely buying this on the first day, loved luigi's mansion. Fingers crossed for an early release! :)

9. callum2003 Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 17:10

I want it

10. callum2003 Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 17:11

I hope so too Alive235

11. callum2003 Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 17:14

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Awwww I want a 3ds case and Luigis mansion 2 :shock:

12. Waldy565 Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 17:33

@magmortar, thanks so much for that! gonna go preorder now! :D

13. Aces High Friday 6th Jan 2012 at 17:55

Of all the awesome upcoming games for 2012, I'm most looking forward to this for sure. The graphics look properly gorgeous and I'm loving the lighting, textures and animation. Yep, Luigi's Mansion 2 is definitely top of my 'most wanted' list....closely followed by Paper Mario. Meanwhile, Night Sky (eStore) is perhaps a little left-field, but nabs third place for me.

14. Kirby8 Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 00:14

Seriously LOVED the first Luigi's Mansion! So excited for this game!!

15. rrriki Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 11:27

If Luigi's Mansion 1 was my favorite game, then luigi's mansion 2 is going to be EVEN better

16. drdude12472 Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 19:12

Our website just posted a preview of Luigi's Mansion 2 - it's shaping up to be excellent from what we've played so far! http://www.cubedgamers.com/home/2012/01 ... n-a-ghost/

17. MartinIsAwesome Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 13:23

Luigi's Mansion my still be, to me, one of the finest games on the Gamecube, despite being a launch title and a bit short. With multiple mansions to explore I'm hoping that the length won't be an issue this time.
    One thing that I am a little reserved about is the music. Kazumi Totaka's soundtrack made the first game for me - but the tunes I've heard so far in the trailers don't sound like they have the same feel, making me suspect a different composer may be involved. On the other hand we may have only heard place-holder music, in which case I have nothing to worry about. Only time will tell.

18. AwesomeAddict Tuesday 3rd Apr 2012 at 16:24

If they put power-ups in this game, I'm giving up on Nintendo. 'Nuff said.