What are the amazing new Pokemon games for 2012?

Marti Bennett wants Pokemon Gray DS and Pokemon Stadium Wii U in 2012

Last week Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu published a greeting card from The Pokémon Company which claims that more amazing Pokémon games will be released in 2012. In 2011 four new Pokémon titles were released in Japan: Pokemon Typing DS, Pokedex 3DS, Super Pokémon Rumble, and PokéPark Wii 2.

With this exciting news of even more Pokemon games than last year, I began to wonder what's ahead. We already know about one spin-off game that's coming to Japan.

Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition

The Pokemon Company recently attended the Jump Festa show in Japan and announced a new game for Nintendo DS, Pokemon + Nombunga's Ambition.

However, the Nombunga's Ambition games are heavily based on Japanese history and very few are released outside of Japan so I'm unsure if this game will be releases the UK.

Yet from looking at the trailer the gameplay looks interesting and reminds me of the Mystery Dungeon games. A Pokemon game where your partner Pokémon is an Eevee gets an automatic thumbs up from me so I hope that we'll get to play it.

Pokédex 3DS

I really enjoyed the Pokedex 3DS app. It was always a nice surprise to see which three Pokemon I had received over Spotpass that day. Alternatively it was just as fun to get the data of Pokemon you wanted from friends. I remember sitting in Starbucks with fellow blogger Chris Rooke trading every Pokemon we didn't have to complete it faster.

Sadly though the Pokedex was limited to Pokemon from the Unova region. I'd like to see the full Pokedex available in the future. There are some really clever augmented reality pictures on the internet of Pokemon using this app. If we had more Pokemon to choose from the possibilities would be endless.

Pokemon Gray (or is it Grey)

For every Red and Blue there is a Yellow so to speak. The third release of the game often adds updated Pokémon sprites, a different storyline, and a new area to explore. Called 'Gray' by many fans, this year could bring us the updated version of the Pokemon Black and White games.

If this were to happen, I would like to see it stay on the DS. I'm not sure about the name but I think the storyline should centre on the legendary Pokemon we know nothing about: Genosect, Meloetta, and Keldeo. Pokemon Purple sounds good to me if the story is about Genosect.

Pokemon Stadium Wii U

There's a new generation of Pokemon out, and I think it's time for a new home console battle simulator. Arguably some would say Pokemon Battle Revolution was a sequel to Pokemon Stadium, but with no mini games or Gym Leader challenge, there wasn't much to it. With the Wii U due for release this year, it would be nice to see a new battle simulator that includes all the Unova region Pokémon and brings back the fun of the mini games we all loved from the Pokemon Stadium series.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. HughPR Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 07:38

Well this is cool! A 3DS game would be great, and I would buy Gray/Grey as well. Console maybe not, but who knows!

2. golden toad Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 07:45

I would mostly like to see a sequel to Black and White, but it should be on both 3DS and DS, Black and White had some great moments which would be brilliant in 3D!

3. CraigEmberson Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 09:17

My predictions are that they'll announce the remakes of Ruby and Sapphire as they said game"S"... Plus the 3DS, with the whole "3D" thing would suit it perfectly... Doing an update on DS, well, wouldn't update it much and it will just be like HeartGold and SoulSilver. Also, with the release of Gen III merchandise coming next month, it makes too much sense. I think Gray will be called Monochrome or Chrome, as they love their metals - but if not, they could change and maybe go in a totally new direction and be unpredictable this time... It is a clean-slate generation after all. Kyruem will definitely be the mascot though!

4. Toastie Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 11:04

I'd definitely like to see Pokemon Snap return, although I'd like to see it on Wii U as well as 3DS. I disagree about Grey - I think it should be on 3DS. I'd like it if we got the R/S/E remakes on the 3DS, and then Grey using the same game engine.

5. pompeyuni12 Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 12:29

my theory is aim low to avoid disappointment - looking at you Pokemon typing thing!

6. Shmilly Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 13:50

I hope the Nobunaga's Ambition game comes out over here eventually (all be it with a simpler title). The merging of those series is totally unexpected but undoubtedly one that will sell big in Japan. Personally I'd love to play it, something fresh to the franchise is (almost) always a good thing. I'd bet that if it sells well then we'll get a whole new spin-off series out of it.

I think a remake of Gen III is pretty much inevitable, and 3DS is the perfect new system to experiment with it on. What with a slew of R/S merchandise being made available soon, I think Ninendo are dropping a hint. If this is the case, then I expect a Grey Version to come later on the same getup (much like Platinum and HG/SS or Emerald and FR/LG).

Oh, and pleeeeaaaasse both (a) expand the Pokedex app and (b) use those 3D models in future main series games instead of sprites. I'd love it if they gave the app a Gen III update at the same time as a R/S remake, for a start.

7. bennyt Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 14:52

I'm interested in the crossover one, liking the mystery dungeon twist to it but i'm hoping for Snap 3ds.
    I wouldn't mind P'mon Grey but after giving White a go, it just didn't do it for me despite it being well presented and good ideas and all.

Finally, i would love to see a Pokemon Crossing game similar to Animal Crossing. That would be cool

There are just simply toooo many great games coming out this year for the 3ds, not to mention the wii u...i just don't have enough money to throw at the screen

8. George12130 Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 16:10

Pokemon Gray (or Grey, whichever it is) should be on both ds and 3ds while Pokemon+Nobunaga's Ambition should be on both as well. Pokemon Stadium on Wii U sounds cool. One thing I think they should add to the pokemon games is if the games were more like the battles they have on the anime where the pokemon can evolve right in the battle or being able to shout dodge into the mic and the pokemon your currently using dodges, the last thing I want added that is in the anime, is that they visit more towns than there are in the games and it would be cool to see those towns added. Finally, In the Pokemon Ranger games they do a lot of quests and it would be cool to see that in the main stream pokemon games.

9. geengy Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 17:39

I saw an interview on a poke-site (Ta-Da! New word in Collins dictionary!) and apparently Masuda said that Gray is a definite no. Although I see that for once in their entire flipping lives, Game freak might actually listen to the fans on this one.

10. RiksilveR Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 18:02

I think Grey (use the proper spelling for crying out loud, gray is for Americans) is pretty much inevitable, but I'd like to see Game Freak take a leaf out of Dragon Quest X's book and release it on DS and 3DS (although that probably won't happen as it'd be too time consuming). To be honest I'm not too fussed about R/S/E remakes. I used to think of Gold and Silver as the best games in the series, but when I got SS it just didn't seem right and ruined the magic of G/S for me. But there again, that's just my opinion. As for P+NA, bring it. I'm all for new ideas.

11. PokeMarti Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 18:02

Hey! It's actually a really clever idea! I have it :3 Chris and Colette bought it for me for my birthday <3 it's just hard because the Pokemon names are how the names are said in Japanese and its really confusing at times. I dont see it coming out here though...

If/When Pokemon does make it's way to 3DS I just hope it keeps its original charm...3D models on a 'proper' pokemon game might be a little too much at this time.

12. IPecksU Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 18:42

a pokemon adventure on wii u, world bigger than skyrim's where you have to actually search for pokemon habitats rather than wander in the grass for hours. I want to be able to see rapidash running across a field and look up at the beach and see a flock of pelipper and wingull fly by, I'd love to stumble on a garchomps nest and be attacked by one of the garchomp trying to protect its nest, doing all this with my friends and family through online and at home. I think all baby cup pokemon should be a choice at the start (including starter pokemon obviously), perhaps you have to catch it yourself as a tutorial, maybe using fly could be like in skyward sword? Sure beats my Pokemon ranch and pokepark wii....

13. TheLupineOne Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 20:02

Just give us a new event Pokémon already! Surely it's that time of year.

14. Serebii Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 20:16

Just give us a new event Pokémon already! Surely it's that time of year.

They come July every year. Japan is getting Keldeo this year, we'll likely get it around this time next year. Meloetta and Genesect will follow in the following years. The next main game will NOT be based on them

Don't worry Marti, the developers have said that they wish to remain spritebased as they can be more artistic.

That interview was a horrific mistranslation. This was during the time that they were in Europe promoting Black & White prior to release. They were asked about future games and they essentially responded saying they are focusing on Black & White at the moment. This is logical as, before a game's launch, they're not going to say "Yes, we're releasing a better version in a year or so.

The next main games will almost certainly be on the 3DS. If it comes in September this year, which is likely, then the 3DS is 18 months old and Nintendo's support for the DS would be completely over. It's illogical for them to release it on the DS just because Black & White were. It's fully possible to create intercompatibility between DS and 3DS games.

15. King Slazo Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 20:34

Frankly, I don't care.

I don't mean that in a bad way though. Over the last 5 years or so we've been treated to some of the most original and fun Pokémon games. We've had Trozei, a very worthy successor to Puzzle League / Challenge, the Mystery Dungeon series, which while admittedly stumbling at first hit maturity with Explorers of Time / Darkness / Sky, the Ranger series which after a tech demo-eqsue first game became fully fledged epics with Shadows of Almia and Guardian Signs, the Rumble duo which hit a perfect balance between button mashing and strategy, and this isn't mentioning the remakes of what are generally regarded as the greatest Pokémon games of all time in HeartGold and SoulSilver, and the two games that have come closest to recapturing the magic since, Black and White.

The point I'm making is thanks to Pokémon we've had numerous different game experiences, and I'm sure that trend will continue this year. Heck, Pokémon x Noabunga's Ambition came completely out of left field and looks very intriguing, so instead of speculate, I'll just sit back and be surprised and amazed with each new announcement. :)

...unless its PokéPark 3. Even I have my limits.

16. PokeMarti Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 21:42

Just give us a new event Pokémon already! Surely it's that time of year.

Yeah I doubt it would be based on them too, I was just trying to think outside the box a little bit.

17. jg633 Saturday 7th Jan 2012 at 23:03

Pokemon Pinball :D

18. blaziken411 Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 00:20

i think they should make the new games like pkmn xd and pkmn coleseum (if u dont no look it up) 3d graphics like pkmn stadium with a storyline like the main series games
    other possible improvements:
    strategies: i grow tired of 1 move at a time i want move combinations , like in the anime wen ash`s infernape used dig then flare blitz and lit d hole feild on fire or usin thunderpunch and firepunch at d same time (machamp)
    real capture mechanics : u cannot find a giant vulture like mandibuzz in grass! its unrealistic it would be in the trees or the mountains at night !
    dodging : i should be able to tell my pkmn 2 doge not just letem get hit constantly
    evolution: "rufflet reached lv54 ! but finish d battle before he evolves ok?" :evil:
    all dis would make 4 a truly epic pkmn game

19. Kirby8 Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 00:40

Well, like I've said on various other posts on Pokémon's future, I'd like to have:
    1. Pokémon Snap
    Question is, which console? I wouldn't mind either one. Last time you said WiiU would do it more justice and I said the stuff you said in my comment about why the 3DS would work too. Confused.
    But anyway, I think either would work. 3DS means you could use the gyro, have AR courses if you want, etc. SO cool stuff there. But with the WiiU you could have the controller as the viewfinder and it will show you the pic. SO either would be cool.
    2. Pokémon Stadium 3
    Battle Revolution was not a true sequel to Pokémon Stadium. A sequel for Stadium is wayyyy overdue! Maybe now that they have Unova, which is trying to appeal to the new generation of Pokémon fans with the fresh start and what not, they'll give the new generation (and us) a new Pokémon Stadium.
    3. Pokémon Pinball
    I loved both Pokémon Pinballs, and would love to see it return. In the same way that Pokémon Stadium 3 is overdue, so is Pinball and, for the same reasons, they should bring the new gen a Pinball game.
    4. Pokémon TCG game
    Make the new gen as crazy about the Pokémon TCG as we were. Going to Woolworths to trade cards was awesome. Of course, we don't have Woolworths shops now...but I'm sure they could do it elsewhere. And to make the new gen crazy about the Pokémon TCG, why not make another Pokémon TCG video game!!! PLEASE!!!
    5. Pokémon Colosseum/Pokémon XD sequel
    Another sequel I think this needs to be done. Those games were soooo great! Love shadow Pokémon. I saw someone had a great idea about how they should have the new hero be the child of Wes (hero from Colosseum). I think that'd be pretty cool! It'd be nice to see Wes and Rui again!
    6. Pokémon Grey
    But I think that's a given. I should hope so anyway. I'm guessing it'll be released on the 3DS, since it'll be a bit odd to release it on the DS since the 3DS would be out for a year when it finally gets released, but it's a bit odd to have the 3rd game on a different platform.
    Listen to the fans Game Freak. So many people want some, if not all, of the games I listed. Give it please. Make E3 PokéMAD!!! XD

20. Kirby8 Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 00:44

other possible improvements:
    all dis would make 4 a truly epic pkmn game

I've been hoping for these things for awhile. Everytime I see something in the anime that isn't in the game, I always think, "why not put it in the game?". It could make it pretty cool.

21. Dave-O Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 02:13

When thinking about Pokemon Grey, I noticed that Kyurem is grey and is a draon type like the other two legendaries, so I guess that they will make a Pokemon Grey with Kyurem as the main legendary. I would like to see a Pokemon Grey on the 3DS as I first assumed they would release Black and White for the 3DS but it didn't happen. I would also like to see a new Pokemon Stadium style game.

22. skyluigi Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 10:15

It'd be unlikely to not see a 'grey' version, and a Pokemon Snap 3DS would be really awesome, but I'd also love to see Ruby/ Sapphire remakes for 3DS in the near future!

23. mckenzielad1297 Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 11:29

YES I want all of them POKEMON is the best

24. blaziken411 Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 11:48

also customizable characters :D

25. Waldy565 Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 12:22

yeah pokemon snap could be controlled like face raiders, that would be awesome! never played original, but i know it has rave reviews!

26. Religion0 Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 13:50

Pokémon Snap 3DS? Now you're talking! I think it'd work wonderful, what with the built in camera and the gyro controls, the latter especially being something I missed in the original.

27. C00LI098 Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 16:01

There's no way the three event Pokémon (it's Genesect, by the way, not Genosect) would be involved in the main plot. First off, as the name implies, they're events. Not going to appear in-game. Secondly, they're not related to each other in any obvious fashion, making a contrivable storyline unlikely.

As for the third version appearing on DS, it'd be highly illogical. Why release it on a console that's dying when you have another console you're trying to promote? Doesn't make sense. I don't see how the author thought this possible when she later claims to want a Pokémon game on Wii U. Why don't you want it on the dying Wii instead of the unreleased Wii U when you want Grey to be on a dying console instead of a console that's actually out and could do with the boost?

28. KyogreDude Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 18:58

I'm all for a revamped Pokémon Snap. But they could develop it further so that rather than being in a moving vehicle, you could explore a fully 3-D world.

I visualise it as a cross over between Hey You, Pikachu! and Pokémon Snap. You could befriend certain Pokémon to get ultra-rare snaps and crawl through grassy fields to 'observe' Pokémon much like Todd did in the Animé. And rather than just having apples and so on, you could have Pokéblocks, Honey and a whole variety of different mechanics.

But hey, I'm thinking out loud with this one ... and I think they could ramp up the difficulty slightly. I'd certainly find it amusing to be put to sleep trying to photograph a Jigglypuff and waking up with black marker pen on my face :)

29. SunnyIsland Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 19:11

Pokemon Snap 3DS seems to be a very popular choice, and I am definitely for it too! :D I traded-in my Pokemon Battle Revolution because it was very weak and not much to do. If they did bring back the classical Pokemon Stadium with the new pokemon then we have another winner!

As for Pokemon 'grey', I don't think it's going to happen --> http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co. ... eneration/ I don't know if I would buy it even if they did make it, Black and White was very short compared to the other games and there's not a lot to do after you've completed it apart from 'catch 'em all!' :/

30. colourblindyoshi Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 22:36

i doubt they would call it pokemon grey - it sounds way to boring, like a pokemon beige. it would be more likely to be pokemon rainbow or something, though that sounds really kiddy.

all of us here could probably come up with something better than they will show us. they'll show us pokemon dash 2 and we'll be crying like the half life fans who are hanging on for episode 3 and losing hope. we'll shout ruby and sapphire in their ears while they look away at the western market with another game like that weird samurai strategy one which will never end up here.
    we will pray to god for pokemon snap 3ds with gyro controls... and they will stand on the stage at e3 holding a 3ds in their hands, showing a tech demo of pokemon ranger 4 and we'll lose the will to live.

maybe this time when they announce a game it will be what us loyal gamers want. but i don't think the game market listens to the europeans. like, look at the ps3's and the 360's line up. lots of games like gears of war and uncharted very americanised. and look how long it took chrono trigger to cross the pond! 15 years! and we shouldn't hold our breath for earthbound to ever arrive here...

maybe, just maybe, they will give us what we want. but that is a big but considering what we have got from the pokemon guys of late. less of what we don't want. more of everything else.

maybe it'll be something completely different. all i know is, like every gamer nowadays;

don't hope for much, then be pleasantly suprised occasionally.

31. Kirby8 Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 23:17

Yes, definitely more items. I think that'll be a given. Because they have all of these items now to attract pokémon in-game...it only makes sense. I think walking around would be cool. I was saying they could have walking around in terms of an AR section, but in-game walking around would be cool.

32. Kirby8 Sunday 8th Jan 2012 at 23:20

Think it's mainly because Pokémon Black and White were both on DS and it'd be weird to have the 3rd game on a different platform, alienating fans of B&W who don't own a 3DS. But, like I said on my pots, it'd be extremely weird to have a new release of a popular franchise on a console that would be out-of-date for over a year by the time the game comes.

33. Jake 346 Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 22:29

Really? You can't spell 'grey'? Anyway, I definitely think it should be on 3DS.

34. IPecksU Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 22:11

Street pass and spot pass would be great for battling other players' teams and putting up trade offers.

e.g. You put up a list of pokemon you would like and what you will offer for them, if someone else passes you and one of their offers matches what you want the trade is automatically done. Spot pass should work like the GTS except maybe it should show more than five results asking for a level 7 dialga in return for a riolu.

35. yoshimad Thursday 12th Jan 2012 at 15:40

It would be a bit awkward calling the third installment Pokemon purple i see it relevance however... Pokemon Black, White... Purple??? Lol
    I wasn't a big fan on Pokemon snap but loved the idea :D , but it would be amaazahhhh on 3DS because that console is fitting for it.

36. light_goose Friday 20th Jan 2012 at 19:35

I really want pokemon snap 3ds. I wish it would be released, it would be amazing and with all the pokemon they have now it would literally go on for ever!