Nintendo have started development on a new Zelda game

Is it Zelda Wii U or a new Zelda 3DS game?

Eiji Aonuma has confirmed that development is underway on a new Legend Of Zelda game.

Writing in the new Hyrule Historia book, the Zelda producer didn't say whether this new Zelda game is Zelda Wii U or a new Legend Of Zelda 3DS game but he did say that fan feedback from Zelda Skyward Sword could have a bearing on his team's next move which has, in his words, "already set sail."

Aonuma wrote: "The long sailing time of creating Skyward Sword, a game to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Zelda series, has just come to an end. The voices of those who've played it from around the world reach us. We hear their admiration, comments and their criticism too. All those voices become energy for the next voyage. Well, to tell the truth, we've already set sail in a new voyage."

Loading video...

Whatever Nintendo do next, Aonuma has previously stated that it would be difficult to make Zelda Skyward Sword 2.

What do you want from the next Zelda adventure?

[ Source: Glitterberri ]

Comments

1. skyluigi Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 11:29

I'd like to see another Wind Waker style Zelda. For 3DS maybe?

2. Hylian_Grouch Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 11:38

see my forum topic for this exact question.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=88008

i am so looking forward to this. presumably work has started on the next handheld title and the wii u zelda will be a bit further in the future even than that, but its good news that something is going on anyway...

3. king of Games Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 11:39

I'd like to see another Wind Waker style Zelda. For 3DS maybe?

Aonuma has already said they are working on a brand new 3DS game. As for the WW style Aonuma has said they will niot be going with that style with this new game

4. Oxo64 Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 11:54

I don't mind which console it's on, although I think a WiiU Zelda would be their best option at this point.

Obviously, it isn't going to be a WiiU launch title but Nintendo needs to get some first party-titles ready for the WiiU launch, or at the very least some information on first-party games. Look how well the 3DS sold when the Mario games were released. Having a Nintendo console launch with no Nintendo-brand games is a bad idea.

5. Grohls6 Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 12:01

I wonder if use of the word 'sailing' is a clue towards which direction this game could be going in. I for one like it as Wind Waker was epic!

6. reeesy Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 12:01

A new 3DS Zelda would be great. Visually, id like to see it take a similar style to that of the recent Ocarina 3D remake. But i reckon a toon style would be more likely. Either way i can't wait.

7. Medea Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 12:50

Toon style would suit 3ds better. More realistic style would be for wiiU

8. MartinIsAwesome Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 13:20

@Grohls6: I was totally thinking that! Is Aonuma dropping a hint or something? Probably not, but I loved sailing in Wind Waker and I'd love to see proper wind assisted boating return in some form.

I'm hoping that he's currently working on the 3DS title as I'm more interested in seeing what Miyamoto was refering to when he suggested making an A Link to the Past style game.

9. ninjafox Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 13:40

I was thinking along the same lines as both of you as well. Perhaps we will see a return to the Great Sea. Perhaps we could see Link going back and saving Hyrule instead when Ganondorf returns and prevents the flooding that is seen in Wind Waker, thus creating another branch of the timeline.

10. chojin Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 13:41

I'd like to see it on the 3DS, taking full advatage of the 3D

11. Shmilly Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 13:56

I hope it's a WiiU title, and one not too long due out after the system's launch. While I do feel that Zelda has found its perfect art direction in Skyward Sword, that demo on the WiiU was absolutely incredible and I would rather see a full game like that than another cartoon-style one for the next console release.

12. shy guy 64 Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 14:03

they all ready said they where working on the next 3DS zelda

13. Dave-O Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 14:10

I would like to see the next big installment of the Zelda series on the 3DS rather than on the home console. Handheld Zelda games have always been short inferior games (but still good, don't get me wrong) compared to the home console games until the remake of OoT 3D, so I would like to see a handheld take the spotlight like with Resident Evil Revelations.

14. Gpmps Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 15:07

for 3ds!!!!!!!!! :D

15. Everegreen Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 15:45

I have to say I really hope it is for 3DS, as I have just bought one on Saturday and have realised there aren't many software choices out there. I love Zelda, but I'm not prepared to buy a Wii U just for a Zelda game, considering how much I have bought recently (including ofcourse the 3DS). So I really hope that the game will be released on 3DS, or I may stop supporting Nintendo and just stick to playing all of my old Zelda games.

As for content, I suppose a traditional game like Ocarina of Time would be nice. I don't want any flashy gimmick (sailing a ship, turning into a wolf, motion controls), I just want a game that is like Ocarina of Time, but improved upon. Failing that, a top-down adventure such as A Link to the Past or Link's Awakening would also be very welcome.

16. Everegreen Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 15:49

I was thinking the same. And @ninjafox, I absolutely love that idea! I would like a land-based game, and that story idea of yours is epic!

17. mr gnome Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 15:54

okay so the way he kept saying words to do with sea makes it sound like their doing it like wind waker

18. MistaChristopher Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 16:00

I'm confused, they've already said Zelda 3DS is being made; now they are saying a new Zelda game is being made. Are they just re-establishing what they already said or are they now making 2 new games? I think it must be the latter, they have 2 teams after all I think.

I'm also amazed that they just get on with making new games as soon as the other is done!

19. zelda97 Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 16:26

I thought about this, and I dont see, what the point of making multiple games at once is. So I think that there making a game for the 3DS and then one for the WIIU.

20. Ai64 Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 16:33

Hmm...for Wii U or 3DS? Hopefully E3 sometime shall tell. =)

21. lagiasyd Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 16:39

He seems to be using really specific language to describe this game. Could it be a hint that this next Zelda will feature sailing and voice acting? Could the "voices from around the world" be a hint to some kind of online with voice chat? After all, he did hint at Link being able to fly in Skyward Sword...or maybe i'm just jumping the gun a bit :wink:

22. tomutwit Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 17:03

OH YAYS A SAILING GAME OF WIND WAKER HD WII U IS CONFIRMED

23. Waldy565 Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 17:16

wish list: completley new zelda, wind waker 3d, or (actually following on from previous) wind waker, TP-esque style and maybe a top down (summit like LTTP) reamke in 3d (or if wii u, NGamers suggestion of wind waker, tp and ss, in my opinion a bit early, HD remake)

24. Violet Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 17:19

I suspect the translator may of put their own slant on this slightly, maybe.

Personally I just want a game like A Link to the Past, still the best Zelda game. Can't they recreate that style of gameplay on the 3DS? The fast movement, the wide sweeping sword swings, the pinball-like behaviour of the enemies, the multi-layered dungeons, they all make it really compelling and fun to play over and over.

25. Haru Waji Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 17:42

A new birds eye veiw zelda would be amazing on 3ds. Remember those dongeons in LttP where you could kinda see below to the lower floors? That on 3ds would blow my mind tbh.

26. RedBearLuX Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 17:49

I'm almost certain it would be both Wii U and 3DS. We'll probably see 3DS Zelda first, so Wii U Zelda will be shunned to the back burner, but thats okay, a slower development process in the beginning can really get the ideas flowing. :D

27. 9 Times Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 17:51

I want a Zelda game to beat The Wind Waker at the top of my favourite games list. Any art style will do except the style from SS and especially TP (I just think link looks a bit...ugly in those games, just my opinion.) whatever idea they have for the first original Wii U/3DS zelda game, I'm sure It'll be great :)

28. TwoDaysAgo Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 17:58

I know I'm being picky but I'd like to see a Wind Waker style game -but all 3D-ifyed. :] Even though it was out when I was 2, the graphics were amazing and the charm was overwhelming - think what the 3DS could do with the style all these years on!
    I've completed Wind Waker 3 times. A game like that for the 3DS would get even more plays!

I'm not asking for The Wind Waker 3D - just a similar style. :)

29. PureAwesomeness Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 18:21

I hope it's both :mrgreen:

30. concernedcamel Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 18:28

Such a hint at a wind waker style game for 3DS and fair play to them it will be Epic :)

31. mattym727 Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 18:37

I hope it's both :mrgreen:

I was thinking the exact same thing :P

32. thenintendoer Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 19:01

wouldnt it be cool if they were working on titles for 3d and wiiu side by side and they could interact with each other in some way

33. Pilotboy Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 19:25

I think a handheld Zelda is more likely to be released first and I agree with the majority that Wind Waker-style graphis would suit the 3DS really well, although the 3D woud have to be taken advantage of. As for a WiiU Zelda, for me the only direction is for a Twilight Princess-style game with the amazing HD graphics seen in the E3 demo being implemented- Zelda was born to look glorious.

34. GoddessSword Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 19:49

Just give me a new Zelda game in the next two years and I'm proper happy, but hahah at nintendo for all that, 'voyage' 'set sail' wink, wink, hint, hint

35. Redfish20 Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 20:15

Skyward was released in 2011 after 5 years in development. 2011-5=2006. Phantom Hourglass was released 2007, Spirit Tracks 2009. The maths doesn't lie; there's almost definitely a game in development for both consoles and one of them has probably already taken shape.

36. LuigisBrother Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 20:29

anyone notice the amount of boat metaphors?

37. TheNUKEnukeM Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 20:49

I dont want to see the death of top down Zelda. I personally think that the wii u tablet controller could do something creative with that idea. However the boat references are.... interesting.

38. Smew Monday 9th Jan 2012 at 22:38

Having played with directional sword swinging in Skyward sword it would be nice to see it appear on the 3DS through the use of the extra circle pad periferal. Think about it - you assign the sword to either the left or Right circle pad (depending on your handedness) and then the sword swipes in the direction you flick the circle pad (left-right/ diagonally / vertically or pushing forwards on both pads to thrust).

39. Everegreen Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 07:15

Yes, but then I'll be annoyed

40. TaskOfMajora Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 10:36

A couple of years ago Aonuma said that remaking A Link to the Past in 3D might be about to happen one day in the future. More recently, he told us that the 3DS Zelda game in development was not a remake, but perhaps this one might be a remake of ALTTP! I absolutely love the idea of any 3D zelda game in the style of ALTTP or Minish Cap though; just imagine stepping out onto hyrule field and hearing the overworld theme blasting in your ears as you cut the grass like you did on the Snes-but in 3D...I'd play it to death!

41. CraigEmberson Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 12:51

I'd like to see a game that isn't Cel-Shaded for 3DS personally... There have been 2 in a row on the previous generation handheld, that it would be nice to show the full capability in a game that looks new and fresh, much like Skyward Sword has done. I don't mind the demo style in the Wii U demo, nobody can deny it looks beautiful - BUT, it's too crowd-following and nothing special... Zelda doesn't do things by halves and Twilight Princess was a let down in terms of textures and how huge things were, it was tedious. It was purely to give people what they thought they wanted and it gave no spark, despite being a fantastic game in gameplay and story. I would like another painterly style but with high-def textures but with a tiny bit of realism or classic look to it like Ocarina of Time if it were also high-def... Like a merger.

42. Solicious Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 13:49

I honestly couldnt care less what console it comes out on. It's a Zelda game....that seals the deal in itself. Just dont bother spewing out anything like that horrible Tingle game again

43. superboi100 Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 14:01

I hope it's a Toon Link outing for 3DS

44. Xikelle Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 17:26

Well, Twilight Princess is my favourite Zelda game, so if the Wii U Zelda were to be anything like it (which seems unlikely since there was something about them saying it's not necessarily going to be like the demo), chances are I'd be very happy.
    It'll probably be quite a while before I seriously consider getting a Wii U though.
    If the 3DS one is like Ocarina of time then that's perfectly fine by me.
    I'd prefer not cel-shaded though (they said it wasn't following on from Spirit tracks, though that's only with regard to the 3DS one), wouldn't think a boat/ship is that necessary, having something different would be preferable.
    They're certain to make a new Zelda for each sooner or later.

45. NeonHybrid Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 00:53

C'mon majora's mask 3D!!! Failing that, a game along the wind waker/phantom hourglass tracks (but not the tracks from spirit tracks, the train sections were dire :(

46. NeonHybrid Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 00:56

You might just be on to something laddie... :D

47. mariosbunnyhat Friday 13th Jan 2012 at 19:16

wind waker/phantom hourglass/spirit tracks style one! :mrgreen:

48. MeritedMIKE Friday 13th Jan 2012 at 19:49

To be Honest I would really like this one to be on the 3ds. If it has the side scrolling style like A Link to the Past, then count me in!

49. shadow.x Saturday 14th Jan 2012 at 22:39