Kid Icarus Uprising works with Circle Pad Pro

Sakurai tells ONM how it will be used

Masahiro Sakurai has told Official Nintendo Magazine that Kid Icarus Uprising will support the Circle Pad Pro.

The Kid Icarus Uprising director explained that the Circle Pad Pro will be useful for left-handed players who may find it tricky to play the game with the stylus in their right hand.

Loading video...

Without the Circle Pad Pro, you'll use the stylus to aim and rotate the camera while the normal Circle Pad is used to move Pit when he's on land. However, with the Circle Pad Pro, left-handed gamers will be able to switch the controls so that they may use the stylus with their left hand.

"The way we are using the Circle Pad Pro in the game is to provide support for left-handed gamers," said Sakurai in an exclusive interview with Official Nintendo Magazine. "We've made it possible to use the right Circle Pad in place of the left one."

Sakurai went on to explain why his team didn't utilise the Circle Pad Pro in any other way. "I didn't know the specs of the Circle Pad Pro, or what it looked like, until Monster Hunter 3G was announced, so we weren't able to do anything big with it in the time we had. Even if we had known about it from the start, I don't know whether we would have used both Circle Pads in that way."

He added: "This would end up being just the same as controls on other platforms and I think the quick aiming possible with the touch panel suits the game best."

You can read the full interview with Masahiro Sakurai in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale on Thursday 12 January.

The Circle Pad Pro goes on sale on 27 January and is bundled with Resident Evil Revelations.

Kid Icarus Uprising will be released for 3DS in March.

Comments

1. Jedi_jester Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 11:59

YAY. This will make hand cramps playing with a stylus better. It might have more accurate controls on the touch screen, but this will be just as good if not better for some.

Now all I need is to get a CPP.

2. SimplePlan2k8 Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 12:00

No dual analog? I can't say I'm not disappointed. I've played Uprising twice now and both times I found the 'globe spinning' turn a real problem... Might have to give it a miss :(

3. GavONM Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 12:07

Should we really be encouraging left-handed people?!
    I for one say we rise against these Left Handed Mutants and force them underground where they will forever struggle with tin openers and writing pads with margins.

4. wiill 64 Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 12:15

Should we really be encouraging left-handed people?!

Yes you should as we are infinitely superior to all other beings and will one day rule over you right handed people.

On topic quite glad there's a left handed option, but I am quite annoyed at the fact that we're technically being forced to buy the Circle Pad Pro.

5. Mario84 Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 12:27

Now this has just put this game back on my Wanted list.

I played the game last year and, being a leftie, couldn't handle the game at all.

It will unfortunately mean another Ł30-35 out of my wallet, but never mind.....

6. Teeko Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 12:50

Any hopes of them doing what they have done at Zavvi, where they have released a special Resident Evil bundle with pad included, and release a Kid Icarus one? I'd rather have Kid Icarus in a special edition.

7. Buzzthebatgirl Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 12:53

I'm very surprised there wouldn't be an in-game option to change the touch screen and circle pad options. It seems terrible to pretty much force left handed players to shell out on the Circle Pad Pro (or another peripheral) to play ANY game comfortably IMO.

8. CraigEmberson Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 12:58

It's thoughtful that they would use it in this way and shows a different reason why the Circle Pad Pro is ace, as well as it's comfortability. However, although I feel bad for lefties, 90% of the world is right-handed so it makes sense for games to work for right handed people moreover.

9. Riverlution Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 12:58

Well, there is still no reason for me to buy this then. I'm right handed, and I'm not interested in buying the circle pad just to confuse my hands. I'm not interested in Resi either, but I would have been interested in a dual stick mode -_-'

10. ninjafox Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 13:51

Even though i am right handed it is nice to see that left handed gamers won't be left out (no pun intended). I played Kid Icarus at GAMEfest and whilst moving Pit with the circle pad and using the stylus to move the camera and fire your weapon felt strange at first by the end of the demo i had got used to it. :)

11. LBDNytetrayn Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 16:01

I'm happy for the lefties, but I was really hoping for dual-pad control.

Anyone get cramps in their right hand while playing Mario Kart 7? I got something like that in my left hand from this, though hopefully it will be less an issue without a big demo-pack-thing on the back while supporting it with your left hand and pressing on it with your right...

12. carnivine chaos Tuesday 10th Jan 2012 at 17:44

Thank god, when I played it I struggled to hold the stylus and the console itself at the same time. I thought the circle pad pro was a must have for this game.

13. colourblindyoshi Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 01:35

yay, we can use the circle pad - just what this game needed to sort out its ridiculous controls!

we're using it for lefties! everyone mutters under thier breath.

so, the one thing this game needed fixing was the controls. they have the means, yet are not going to do it! stupidity and stubborness. i'm sure most people would be prepared to wait another month for the game to be fixed, so why not?

just as the game gave me hope, it took it away from me again. not getting it now. metal gear solid can take its place. why? because it actually considered using the pad for a good reason, and they've had probably less time with it than nintendo. don't get me wrong, i'm not being mean to lefties, thats a good idea, of a southpaw control scheme, but the controls needed fixing. like giving water to a dead camel. if the controls are bad for right handed people why won't they be bad for left handed people, and they needed to take priority over what could also be seen as essential fix.

all hope is lost with this game. i've given it too many chances, and i just give up. nintendo may have just killed their 'new' mascot. and god knows the whole gaming industry needs a new mascot.

14. Guwuh Sunday 8th Apr 2012 at 12:31

Sakurai and co already tried supporting dual analog when the game was in its testing periods, comparing it to the stylus controls by having CPP users and Stylus users fight against each other. you know what happened? regardless of skill, the stylus users beat the CPP users 9 times out of 10.

This game just isn't suited to dual analog. The game is a fast paced action adventure shoot-stab-kill game, and dual analog is far too slow for the kind of atmosphere it creates. The Globe System works great and is incredibly intuitive. the game seriously would not work half as well without it. they've already given you like, 8 pages of control configuration, use them.

15. garywood Tuesday 20th Aug 2013 at 18:35

I just bought a circle pad pro for the sole purpose of being able to use dual stick controls with this game! It's an absolute disgrace. I'm sure they've been clever enough in their wording to protect themselves from any legal issues but it really does feel like a case of false advertising. When a game is listed as being compatible with an accessory whose entire purpose is to add a second control stick, I think it's perfectly normal to expect that it therefore adds a control scheme that utilises both sticks.
    They shouldn't have bothered adding compatability at all, a tiny minority of people are left handed- and are so used to having controls the other way around that (at least in my brother's case) are completely used to just doing things in reverse.

Dual analog works just fine for the array of first person shooters out there, which rely every bit as much on quick reaction times.

I don't know who was ultimately reponsible for this. But it's sad that the only justice they'll get is that everyone who's in my boat will just spend a lot more time on MGS, RE and MH3 instead.