How to have fun with 3DS on the cheap

NintendoTV's Gav Murphy tells you how to get more from 3DS without spending much money

If you're anything like me you'll have a Christmas-sized hold in your pockets and won't have much money to spend on gaming. I've had to bring my own austerity measures into the Murphy household after blowing my cash on shortbread biscuits and stick-on wrestling tattoos but I've discovered that 3DS is the perfect console for these economic times. Why? Because you can have fun on the console without spending money. Here are my top tips for 3DS gaming on the cheap.

Before we start, if you've not yet got a 3DS, a quick scan of major online retailers reveals Zavvi to be the cheapest offer at £129.85.

1. Watch NintendoTV, obviously.

I am actually contractually obligated to do a little NintendoTV dance to promote the show three times a day, so if you haven't watch the first episode of NintendoTV yet, you can see it for the extraordinarily cheap price of FREE in eye-spanking 3D on the Nintendo 3DS eShop now.

Or you can watch it right here in 2D.

The show is also available on the Wii's Nintendo Channel.

2. StreetPassing in the Mii Plaza

My love for StreetPass, particularly StreetPass Quest 2 has been well documented but it's so good that I reckon Nintendo should rebrand the 3DS as the Nintendo StreetPass Machine... now with added 3D. Catchy, eh?

StreetPass is and has always been one of the most exciting things about the 3DS console so if you've just got one yourself, get out there into the busy streets, packed cinemas and any kind of geek-convention to start collecting Miis now.

Then you can play the awesome free RPG StreetPass Quest and once you've finished that, StreetPass Quest 2 will keep you busy.

3. Download Nintendo Letter Box

Nintendo Letter Box had us huddled around our consoles like manic letter-writing fools over Christmas to see who can draw the best T-Rex (Me!).

It's free to download from the Nintendo eShop and comes with some different stationery and you can even use Play Coins to unlock different animated things and send recordings. In contrast it made my office emails look pretty boring, so I started attaching drawings of stickmen riding unicorns to them.

4. Download Pullblox the eShop

With the all the magical trinkets that come loaded in Nintendo 3DS, it's easy to forget the main thing the console was invented for was to play some games.

If you're on a budget though, you'll be happy to hear that some of the best titles currently available on the 3DS come at such a low price, you'll feel like you're robbing Miyamoto himself.

Two of my favourite games from last year, FreakyForms and Pullblox cost less than the price of 541 penny chews.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. Everegreen Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 17:27

Hmm, so I'm defiantly taking it when I go and see Star Wars Episode I 3D at the cinema!

2. I Am Error Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 17:52

Just make sure you don't get pick-pocketed.

3. HughPR Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 18:38

Okay, so really bad that I'm having to ask this, but how does Streetpass work? Do I need to be in the game I want to receive data for, can I be in sleep mode? I've been trying to meet some people for Streetpass Quest, but so far I've met none even though I've been passing through London. I was in Mii Plaza with my 3DS in sleep mode.

4. thenintendoer Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 19:03

all you need to do is have your 3ds in sleep mode i dont think it matters which software is currently running on the system however

5. Everegreen Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 20:07

Just make sure you don't get pick-pocketed.

That's one of my worries, especially that I only got it a few days ago.

I think the best place to collect Miis via Street Pass would be Tokyo

6. AR master Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 20:57

kid icarus?i am so there

7. sciqueen Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 21:04

Just make sure you don't get pick-pocketed.

If there's anyone else there! XD

8. ninjafox Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 21:40

Firstly well done Gav on the re-launch of Nintendo TV on 3DS. I was really impressed with Episode 1 and the 3D effect looks amazing. The new structure of the show is great and i am looking forward to seeing what delights you have in store for viewers in Episode 2. This should certainly help expand the amount of viewers that Nintendo TV recieves, with it now been available on two gaming formats (not to mention keep you in a job :wink:)
    I enjoyed seeing more of the Mario Kart 7 event, looked like great fun!

Right back on topic...i can't actually think of anything that you have not said. But perhaps, if you don't mind as i know you deal with moving images i could point people in the direction of ONM 78 (on sale 12th January) which has some great ideas on what else can be done with your 3DS and some that don't even cost a penny. Only Ł3.99 if anyone is interested...

9. RiksilveR Wednesday 11th Jan 2012 at 21:57

@HughPR - is the wireless function turned on? if it isn't, theres your problem.

i really want to try out the streetpass stuff, but it seems like there's absolutely nobody in harrogate with a 3DS!!! i've been buying heroes and puzzle pieces with play coins, but it just isnt satisfying....
    oh, and by the way, i sent this from my 3DS :D the internet browser is another cheap way of using 3DS, mr murphy. it should have been on the list.^_^

10. RedBearLuX Thursday 12th Jan 2012 at 10:04

I absolutely LOVE street pass it's amazing, I love collecting the puzzle pieces and I love street pass quest, but unfortunately the area I now live in seems that almost nobody actually has a 3DS :(

I have to go all the way in to town and go in to game shops to get the odd hit from the staff. It's a real shame, but come summer we get a lot of tourism, maybe people will bring their 3DS along as well :D

11. AiDeNintendude Thursday 12th Jan 2012 at 21:12

I'm ever so bewildered as to why Four Swords wasn't included here... :?