134 New Mario Kart Wii Screens

Incredible images from the plumber's new racer

Following on from today's announcement that Mario Kart will be coming out on Wii on 11 April, we've got 134 new screens for you.

The screens show off some of the exciting new things you can do in Mario Kart. We can see the Mushroom Kingdom crew doing stunts on their bikes, a first for the series.

There's also images of Miis racing around the track and we can see action from the online mode.

As for the race tracks, there are shots of some old courses such as Mario Kart 64's Moo Moo Farm, Double Dash's Luigi's Circuit and Mario Circuit from the SNES original. We can also see some of the new courses including a course circuiting Peach's Castle, Wario's Gold Mine and Walugi Stadium. Enjoy them!

Comments

1. CaptainCalcium Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 13:07

I have to say, Im not impressed with the graphics in this game. I understand that its not all about graphics but some of those screenshots look like MKDS (the one with Bowser especially). It doesnt look like a Wii Mario Kart game. After the stupidly gorgeous Mario Galaxy, this seems like a real step down.

2. Ultra mega super Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 13:21

looks like it could be awesome. Hope it is better than double dash. :)

3. LingXiao Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 13:24

Owch! Those graphics...

Was this a ported N64 Game? They're really ugly.

4. tomrutters Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 13:32

It's great to see so many new screens of this game! Some of them look a little grainy, but I'm hoping that is just because they're stills of moving images. The leaderboard options look really interesting.

5. Super_John Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 13:48

Buy this game just for Mario's Nightrider Kart :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. TheStreetie Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 13:49

I was a little worried that stunts in a Mario Kart game might put off some fans of the series (for the fact that its never had them before, and its a big change)

...But after seeing these amazin screenshots, my opinion has slightly changed. Im not 100% sure.

Prove me wrong Nintendo

7. ChrisONM Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 13:52

Bear in mind guys, screenshots aren't always the way to judge the quality of a game. Wait until you see it moving before deciding it looks bad: after all, Phantom Hourglass looks pretty grim in some screens.

8. Pirate Ultima Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 13:54

Doesn't the racing screen look a bit empty?

9. Lee100555 Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 14:04

some good screens but why were half repeated, like 5 times :evil:

10. tomrutters Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 14:25

You've played it, I assume - what are the graphics like? Am I right in thinking that Phantom Hourglass was using the Animal Crossing: WW engine - or a modified version of it? The two are very similar.

11. Kazoo Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 14:40

looks like it could be awesome. Hope it is better than double dash. :)

What the hell, DS graphics?

But this game looks awesome.

12. luk3 Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 14:48

OMG!!! Mii's ;]] sooo happy now if you alredy said that mii's are in it i probalby over read it and forgot :D cant wait to buy it :D any1 up for a race on mkds?

13. Raylax Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 15:06

I understand what you're saying about 'wait until you see it in motion, it looks better', Chris, but still, some of these screens are damned low quality. Compare to Super Mario Sunshine - they're screens look awesome out of motion, but these really do look quite poor.

Some of the stuff in there I can't see improving even in motion - the 2D Mii audience is going to be 2D and cheap-looking whether you're looking at it at 0mph or 50mph.

And I'm not convinced about tricks yet, either.

Whilst I'm confident it will be another great Mario Kart, I'm more than a little concerned about the weak graphics and "stunt" feature.

14. AMthedude Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 15:44

A little note to those of you complaining about the graphics: I reckon the problem is the amount of space you can store on a disc. Ask yourself this: would you rather have 32 tracks, 12 player online multiplayer and bad graphics or half as many tracks, 4 player multiplayer with no online modes and good graphics?

15. The STAINTONATOR Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 15:54

the visuals aren't that great......

16. laurencej Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 16:08

My only complaint is that I thought I was going to get 178 screenshots from the article title. Then on clicking the image I'm told there is 134 pictures. THEN most of those of duplicates. What's up with that?

Whilst I was, and maybe still am, slightly sceptical about the stunts, they do look good in the pictures.

And having enjoyes every Mario Kart to date (yes, including Double Dash) I know I'll like this.

And with a firm release date, I've just preordered on Play. Hopefully I'll get it April 10th. :P

17. darkandy666 Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 16:23

thats alot of screen shoots

18. Hazz-JB Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 16:23

Screenshots are horribly inaccurate concerning graphics, for a start theres the size of the screenshot which isn't the same and so messes with the resolution, plus it's a still shot of a moving game. Look at the horrible blocky screenshots for DS games and you'll see what I mean.

Although... the graphics could still be better.

19. superdudemiles Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 16:39

I love mario kart and i cant wait for this. Best. Mario. Kart. Ever!

20. mario34567 Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 17:19

Strange..they keep very quiet for ages, relesing a screenshot here, a screenshot there and then suddenly throw loads and a release date at us?!......Wow!

21. JonnyDale Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 17:31

This game looks awesome, I couldn't care less about the graphics, they aren't important...

Also, there weren't that many screenshots - most were repeated over and over but given a different number :\

22. Chaos_Absolute Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 17:35

It looks like the challenges are back for MK Wii.

I hope the graphics when you're playing the game look better than they do in those screen shots....

Boo's Boardwalk seems to be making a come back too.

23. Hotblack Desiato Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 17:35

Now, obviously graphics aren't everything and it's hard to tell from looking at still images of moving pictures, but some of the characters look as though they've come straight out of 1996.

24. Anonymous Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 18:27

everyone is complainng about the graphics and yes i agre wit h what ppl are sayin the grpahics look gc visuals (or even 64 ?) and i'm hopin they look better in game when it's all moving
    The tracks look fine they lookin snazzy whereas the characters are lookin a bit square if u no wat i mean :wink:

25. teabag10 Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 18:54

I wanna see Bowser on a big OC bike.

26. Hazz-JB Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 20:22

Although there was that E3 video of the game which looked graphically pretty Wii-like. I don't think graphics will be a problem in the end.

27. Nintendo Mad Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 20:26

I think they'll be great graphics in the actual game it's just our PC's and the screenshot camera thing that is making the graphics look a little dodgy!

I think the game looks great!

But there isn't 178 screenshots and alot of them are the same!

28. Belmont_hunter Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 20:51

I like the Snowboarding Shy Guys on the chairlift in the first couple of pictures with Donkey Kong doing stunts. Graphics are never really a problem with me as long as the game characters look remotely what they should look like, which the screenshots have proven they do. I was going to get this game the moment I heard it was being released, which, lets face it was always going to happen.

29. LordYoshiman Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 21:01

The graphics aren't that bad. People are over exaggerating. And besides, all the other Mario Karts have been great and they didn't have perfect graphics so stop complaining and realise that it is gonna be a great game!

It's annoying that I just imported a Wii for Smash Bros and games like this but they go ahead and release it here before America! Grr...

30. lattywatty Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 21:22

Ouch, I'm seriously underwhelmed. This looks like a step down from Double Dash, let alone Galaxy. Oh dear, I was really looking forward to this game. The tracks look ok, but I wanna see some real origionality in this game. Motorbikes won't make it up Nintendo.

I really, really hope I'm proved wrong.

31. Stulaw90 Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 21:32

a) the graphics look terrible from the screenshots(but i bet they look better in motion) and to be honest coding graphics doesn't take much memory on the disk.
    b)Who cares about the graphics anyway, its all about the game, and I bet its gonna be great.

32. Rob3rt Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 22:17

I'm sure it'll look much better in the real game than in those dodgy screenshots! I like the look of the construction site-style course. I could just imagine the cranes going up and down with question mark boxes and you have to try and grab one when you go up the ramp!

33. User30 Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 23:29

Not one of you not even ONM it's self except me have noticed that you can use a gamecube controler!

Images 20, 21, 24, 25 and 26 all have the gamecubes B button in the corner!

34. uster dog Wednesday 20th Feb 2008 at 23:30

:D looks cooooooooooooooool :D

35. mightyjake Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 07:44

I know what you meen but afterall, the graphics arent so bad you wouldnt want to play are they? And im sure they wont drag the game down as long as the actual game plays well. Its not all bad.

36. kevindoc193 Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 07:53

This game will be so fricking awesome, it will help me not to be so desperate for SSBB to come out, but what about for the wait of this game? oh well, at least it comes out b4 the U.S.A.
    (for once) :roll:

37. User30 Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 08:23

Opps i guess i wasn't the only one to notice that it has gamecube controls. But the graphics arn't that bad to be honest. When I play Mario Kart I'm more caught up in the action of racing then looking around me.

38. mariotaz Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 09:59

Ummm....the tracks look nice, wide, and quite entertaining. But, the graphics of the characters look abit...

Square....(The Donkey Kong one)? The tracks, really look brilliant and breath-taking. I'm excited about the Wi-fi. April is a kickbutt release date. (Gonna get delayed though)

39. no_more_heros Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 10:50

It might just be me but the screens don't look too sharp. and also they say 178 theres only like 134 and alot of doubles :evil:

40. Bigby Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 16:25

Who cares about the graphics, the main thing that has always made a ninty game great is the gameplay, it looks fun, looks like its gone back to basics, some old levels put in there, should be good, i'm really excited, only thing im concerned about is the add on of motorbikes, will there be a different control set up for them? will they be as good as the karts? Either way this is one game i ain't missing out on come release date!

41. CaptainCalcium Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 17:00

In all honesty, no, the graphics wouldnt stop me enjoying this game. But it looks worse than DD, at least in those pics.

Hopefully running it will be alot better.

42. Ningamer Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 18:31

Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...Bring back the feather...OH GOD PLEASE BRING BACK THE FEATHER!!

43. Maxz Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 18:37

So many Gimmics in there... Stunts, bikes, racing Miis... it's going to be a wonder if they pull it all off. Combine that with 2D Cardboard crowds and grainy graphics... I'm slightly worried, if I'm honest.

44. Poke365 Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 18:50

I SEE THE WI-FI SCREENS LOL

45. Ningamer Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 18:59

As well as baby mario and baby luigi, they have baby princess peach aswell! Revealed in the screenshot with bowser in fifth place.

46. Ultra mega super Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 19:20

This game looks like it will be the best in the series especially since it has online multiplayer.

47. Caz14 Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 19:35

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have bad graphics, just that those screen shots are a bit wierd. Besides, graphics arent the most important thing. Hopefully the gameplay is awesome

48. IrishLuigi Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 19:40

I love Mario Kart so far, but...

+Grainy graphics - the characters look so polygon-ish, in one screenshot bowser even looks like he just jumped out of MKDS. Also, the screenshot with the 2 penguins, they look like they came from SM64, when they should look like the ones in SMG!

+(So far)No Galaxy tracks! - Double Dash had Sunshine tracks!

+Tricks - Please, God, don't let there be a tricks pointing system, I don't want to have to do tricks to get a good score on tracks. For me, they're as bad as having to collect coins in Super Circuit.

+Cardboard crowds - No, please just - no.

Please, Nintendo, don't spoil this game for me.

49. SUPER MARIO 247 Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 20:56

Ninty have outdone themselves YET AGAIN
    perfect grafics
    rendering is spot on
    backgrounds are amazing
    probably the best game so far :!:

50. Strange Thursday 21st Feb 2008 at 23:14

Even though graphics aren't the most vital thing in a game like this, I really don't think they are that bad. The new snow track, plus the course with all the houses look reasonably detailed. The characters on the other hand look pixelated, but screenshots usually appear to be in lower resolution than when actually playing the game on your console.

There seems to be a good variety of courses, which is good, and hopefully some will be based on Super Mario Galaxy too. That would be great.

I am impressed with the fact you can use motorbikes, and being able to do numerous tricks will strengthen the fresh feel of this game. The only small problem I do have with tricks however, is I'm worried that it might clash with the gameplay. But it's good that Nintendo are trying something new.

My expections for this game towers high. Now I have two things to look forward to around Srping (Mario Kart Wii and Easter). 8)

51. Mr. Nintendo Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 07:51

Mii's in Mario Kart???
    They don't look very good so i won't be using them.
    Will You??

52. supernintendotom Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 10:59

will there be an option to race against random people? I hope there is! :D

53. Jim Lad Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 11:37

does anyone know if there will be a 2 player split screen online option? That would be sweeeeeet :D

54. ike1994 Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 13:26

does the graphics really matter that much ,yh it would be nice to have good graphics but it is a solid racing game with brilliant wi-fi i'm sure most people would be happy!!1

55. Foresight Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 14:38

You lot honestly believe that Nintendo is going to give the next installment in one of the most popular racing game series as shoddy graphics as were displayed in those screenshots?

It's most likely down to the resolution difference and the format the images were saved in.

I'm assuming you've all some time or another expected Nintendo to deliver the goods, and they have supplied them by the bucketload. Why doubt them now? Oh yeah, because the graphics look poor. Take a look at that link on the top of this page titled "178 Mario Kart Wii Screens" and move your mouse over it. Do the graphics displayed on the left look as poor as those screenshots turned out to be?

Some of you will dismiss me as a fanboy but I hardly doubt Nintendo is going to ruin Mario Kart. Oh and to those of you who see the stunts and new vehicles as gimmicks, the formulae for Mario Kart isn't broke, so why would Nintendo want to fix it? Agreed, they've added some new features, but they've got to dabble in something new to see whether these ideas are accepted by the fans. If not, then it's back to the drawing board to see what else they can come up with.

56. IrishLuigi Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 15:57

There's a fine line between "The graphics are bad, but the gameplay makes up for it" and ""The gameplay does not resolve the problem with the graphics". MK:Wii seems to lean towards the negative AND we don't know much about the gameplay.

It better be down to computer-related problems as you say.

57. Yoshi Dude Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 16:38

I hope that when you play as your mii they won't be rubbish like in mario and sonic

58. pokemaniac 212 Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 17:07

I'm not sure if its the same track but wasn't there a very similar looking Waluigi's stadium in Double Dash. Also am I the only person who recognises Yoshi falls and Delfino Plaza from the DS version.

59. GT-Fox Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 18:40

woah! this looks realy good i'm gettin exited lol

60. Bruiser Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 18:44

This game looks pretty good at the moment, looks as if you can do tricks, there are new characters (koopa, baby's, Mii's) and some of the cars look great (screen 115) hopefully Characters have individual karts, at the moment it looks as if everyone can have the same kart, but in a differant colour scheme.

61. J4R Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 22:54

is it just me or do the graphics not look up to the standard or SMG and MP3? it seems like another GC effort grtaphics wise, although may just be me being picky

62. Zabba 2 Friday 22nd Feb 2008 at 23:16

Is it just me, or does this look like a scrapped version of Mario Kart 64? Especially those first screen of the Ice Mountain level. I suppose it'll look better in motion, but sadly, and strangely, I'm not excited about this game as much as I would have thought.

63. Ewoks4eva Saturday 23rd Feb 2008 at 08:49

I agree. I guess I was worried at first about the graphics, but it's most likely that they're not particularly well-taken stills. Bear in mind there's still room for improvement; it'll almost certainly be put back umpteen times, knowing Nintendo.

I can't deny I'm excited by some of these new screens, not to mention the online options on show. After a drought of MKWii info, these are a breath of fresh air, and once the game gets some polish before release, we could be looking at a classic. The current quality of the screens doesn't really bother me too much.

64. Odnella Saturday 23rd Feb 2008 at 12:08

Like any sane person I can;t wait for this game. My only worry is control over the bikes e.g beats old karts easily.

65. Yuna Sunday 24th Feb 2008 at 11:25

Wow it looks wicked some of the new tracks looks fun, I can't wait to play online.

66. 13th Nightmare Sunday 24th Feb 2008 at 12:59

I dont think I will be sleeping the night before this is released. Can't wait to race over wi-fi in 12 player races. I dont know why so many people are complaining about the stills of the game. I think they look great. They may not be up to the same calibur as Mario Galaxy, but what would you prefer:
    Mario Kart Wii with graphics that are on par with Mario Galaxy, but no wi-fi option.

or

Mario Kart Wii with graphics that aren't as good as Mario Galaxy, but with the option of wi-fi races.

I would pick option two anyday.

67. Nemesis X1 Sunday 24th Feb 2008 at 16:00

This is shaping up to be excellent, and it is out just in time for my birthday!

68. Ewoks4eva Sunday 24th Feb 2008 at 19:44

or

I would pick option two anyday.

I see no reason why Nintendo can't give us awesome multiplayer and graphics.

69. bloodtyrant666 Monday 25th Feb 2008 at 17:09

this game is a deffinate buy graphics need a litle work thoygh :lol: :? :? :lol:

70. Mama Luigi Monday 25th Feb 2008 at 18:49

Would everyone stop being picky about the graphics. These screenshots might just have been released but may be old and so the game we get will be more polished. If not, the game will look better in motion. To be honest, I know everyone will get this anyway, regardless of the visuals. I know I will.

71. zeldamad101 Monday 25th Feb 2008 at 20:23

Nice, Thanks ONm for then pics now i know what the game looks like now. I also see some Mario Kart Wii pics in ONM mag too But thanks for them!
    I am getting even more excitied and i just can not wait for this game!
    The wiis on a good role at the moment.
    SSBB and MKWii coming out what a few months and i can't wait!

72. BESTBUYZ4YOU Monday 25th Feb 2008 at 21:50

im aware that graphics is hardly nintendo's forte but these are just shoddy

73. Cruel_Scorpion Tuesday 26th Feb 2008 at 11:30

Thanks ONM for the amount of screenshots you have provided us.

I can see this being a must have game for the Wii.
    After seeing all the screenshots and also some video footage of a trailor for it.
    I can say that, yes its character models arent as detailed as SMG and SSBB and its close to having GC graphic models but I can see that its the course where the graphics are being used the most as the texture, colour range and possible extras (maybe the odd fun thing in the background) are being put into them.
    But the bottom line is this.... who isnt excited about playing mario kart online with another 11 players against you?
    Time to get those Red shells ready as its going to be a blast :)

74. Kenn Tuesday 26th Feb 2008 at 15:57

This game is gonna rock my world.

The online play is probably going to be the most addictive experience next to heroin.

You know what would be nice? Diddy Kong Racing on the Wii. Hovercrafts all over the place, sweet.

75. Blobofdoom Tuesday 26th Feb 2008 at 18:56

This game is gonna be AWESOME!!!. I hope I will have enough time to save up for this!

*Fingers crossed free-roam story mode!!!* :D

76. Anonymous Tuesday 26th Feb 2008 at 20:18

i disagree. yes mario galaxy without a doubt was one of the best games on wii however you can't judge a game that hasn't been released yet by the screenshots because it is not just the graphics it is the story the gameplay the list is endless. i'm sure this will receive a nintendo gold award it looks well worth it .

77. NintendoWiiNath Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 00:37

i do admit the graphix do look lame but hey its mario kart itll be fun!

78. Brado Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 17:18

you should not go on about the graphics so much they are not everything, and are usually polished before the games release.

79. TecnicolourM Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 19:11

Can I ask who isn't getting this game?? If you aren't, you can stick your Wiimote up your

80. catscan93 Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 22:08

image 120: penguins :o

image 79 and 97: ssx mario kart :o :o

image 89: baby peach!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :shock:

81. Wario90 Thursday 28th Feb 2008 at 11:13

This game is gonna be awesome. It has been totally overshadowed by Smash Bros(by me included) but this is going to be just as excellent.

Before you start doubting the graphics, remember to ask youself one question. When has Mario Kart ever let us down?

82. eddbarber Friday 29th Feb 2008 at 16:22

i have to be honest the graphics look pretty poor but im sure it will look better in action. anyway its shaping up to be a great game

83. SpinachPuffs Friday 29th Feb 2008 at 22:59

Wait a second... wasnt this 178 screens earlier?

84. Ookami Saturday 1st Mar 2008 at 19:13

A lot of the screenshots are quite blatently repeated, but it's nice to see some of the new stages (again and again). Here's hoping it's as good as the DS version as I believe that's the best one I've played, and I've played them all.

Maybe this will entice me to get a Wii at long last?

85. pokemaniac 212 Sunday 2nd Mar 2008 at 09:44

I've also noticed Peach Beach from Double Dash and Boo Lake from Super Circuit. Damn you Boo Lake.

86. the flying goose Sunday 2nd Mar 2008 at 14:40

come on guy think about the best racing game on the wii sod the screen shots there r not how u judge the game is it wait till u get it and sit at home playing it for hors and hours and then theres being able to play against people all around the world just think of that :D

87. PatrickT Sunday 2nd Mar 2008 at 17:02

Mii's on MK. My dream has come true :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    (I don't know how you managed it, but there 2 pics that are the same screenshot :wink: )

88. Anonymous Sunday 2nd Mar 2008 at 23:04

No one should be worried about the graphics at this point. And if people want to judge a game by its graphics they should get a 360 or PS3. I'm just peeved we're getting this before SSBB. I'd much rather have SSBB than Mario Kart.

89. Nintygirllolly Tuesday 4th Mar 2008 at 11:15

Vroom Vroom!

:D

90. gamefluff Wednesday 5th Mar 2008 at 20:52

im more worried about how the wii wheel controls will work

I dont want people to be put off with dodgy controls so I cannot thrash them in 4 way multiplayer

91. colemanbenjamin Sunday 9th Mar 2008 at 08:48

This game looks brilliant! some of the screen shots look bad but i watched a video of it recently and the graphics are brilliant!!!
    cant wait to get my hands on this beauty! :twisted:

92. garysip Saturday 29th Mar 2008 at 19:19

all these pictures is all good and well but there is only a few vids we want more vids :!: