Wii U will be released before Christmas in UK

Wii U will get a 2012 release date all over the world

Anyone concerned that the UK Wii U release date may not fall in 2012 should think again. Nintendo has confirmed that the Wii U will be released in Europe, Australia, the US and Japan before Christmas 2012.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told reporters that Wii U will be out in the US, Europe, Japan and Australia "for the year-end season".

Of course both Reggie Fils-Aime and Satoru Iwata had previously confirmed that the Wii U release date would fall between E3 and the end of the year but it's great to know that the Wii U will also be released in Europe in 2012.

So when will Wii U be released? What does the "for year-end season mean?" Does that just mean it is coming before the end of the year or that it will be released during the year-end season?

We'll find out at E3 2012. In the meantime, make your Wii U release date predictions.

Comments

1. NintendoForLife Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 10:04

I predict a midnight launch...somewhere.

2. Slinkington Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 10:05

"Does that just mean it is coming before the end of the year or that it will be released during the year-end season?"

"for the end-year season" says it will be release in the end-year season to me. >_>

3. skrunkycat Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 10:12

I rekon November... for xmas presents... that may be the obvious guess so I will say Nov 17th...

4. Brimstone Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 10:16

It would have to be 3rd quarter to really get all the "sold out" hype out of the way, then it can be re-stocked for the x-mas rushes.
    It might be foolish to leave it later and have it sell out over x-mas.IMHO.

5. JaySuthEFC Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 10:34

I agree it will be a couple of months before Xmas IMO, they would shift so many over Xmas so having it launch right on top of Xmas and not having time to stock up would be a big mistake.

6. stainboy666 Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 11:10

As much I love Nintendo I'm holding off getting excited about this until I actually see E3 this year instead of videos and pretty much Wii demo's. I mean apart from the Nintendo games it was hard to find many decent Wii games and I really hope this doesn't go the same way. I will probably buy it first thing I always do I just hope there's enough on it to stop it from gathering dust till the next Mario or Zelda game.

7. primus85 Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 11:20

IMO It depends on the price point, if it 250-300 i would say early Novemeber release possibly end of October.

8. lightning900 Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 11:24

I'm hoping around the same time as the Wii (Dec 8th), it came out the day after my birthday :D

9. danbish Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 11:41

Frankly, it can come out whenever it likes in 2012 as long as I get one. And I'll be doing my damndest to make sure that happens on launch night! :wink:

10. Redfish20 Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 12:15

Well that's solved my problem (my Wii's disk drive packed in), I shall go this year playing 3DS and VC games and finish Skyward Sword as soon as I am able to snap up a WiiU.

imho I think Nintendo should start getting us hyped about the launch games sometime soon if they want it to do well at launch.

11. Riverlution Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 12:46

Wasn't expecting it to come out in 2012.

In that case, I reckon it'll come out within a month of christmas (not the week before though). So Late November to early December.

12. greycloud007 Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 12:51

December 8th :)

13. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 13:22

I'd say the end of November-middle of December.
    Probably December 8th 2012.

14. ninjafox Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 13:56

Nintendo will obviously want to make the Wii U the must have console come christmas 2012 but i think it will launch earlier than the Wii so when the Wii U sells out they are able to get a second or third batch of consoles to the shops before christmas. Going on this basis a late October or mid November launch would make sense.

I agree, as long as i am able to get one on launch night or launch day i will be happy! :D

15. issun1412 Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 16:58

c'mon nintendo! release it on the wii's anniversary!

16. Waldy565 Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 17:52

really really excited for the summer... E3, Birthday, sun, 99 cones woop woop!

17. Steno1 Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 19:01

Before Christmas 2012? My 'eck. Birthday = Vita, Christmas = Wii U. Sorted!

18. RatofDoom2 Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 19:26

It will cost tonnes i bet.

19. SunnyIsland Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 19:52

Glad to hear! I'm hoping that I'll be able to get one for Christmas (or release if I save up now) :D

20. PickleHB Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 20:57

It will be great to see a new platform released but have nintendo shot themselves in the foot with the 3ds price drop, will they be expected to do something similar with the wiiu? Will hanging on ensure a much cheaper price bracket within 6 months of release? If it means missing our on a few lame downloads as compensation for a 100 saving then I would rather wait and give my wii its final swan song before it gets consigned to the "loft"

21. colourblindyoshi Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 22:48

i might wait for a price drop - hell, look at what the 360 and ps3 are now! it might be like 300, and money dont grow on trees these days. anyway, i'm happy with what ive got.

mind you, i love going down and buying something on launch day, and this may be sold out soon enough...

22. Rosseliris Thursday 26th Jan 2012 at 22:50

If it does come out 2012, I expect they will be very disappointed if it were not sold out, so I'll still wait till 2013! I'm not getting drawn into a dilemma over whether to buy Excite Trucks Wii U or Monkey Ball Wii U again. I think I'm becoming more cynical by the day!

23. MeritedMIKE Friday 27th Jan 2012 at 18:01

I sense a VERY VERY long line coming...

24. TheUltimateKoopa Friday 27th Jan 2012 at 18:22

I hate to sound pessimisstic, but are you sure they don't mean the end of the fiscal year? That could be anything up to March 2013.

25. TravisT Friday 27th Jan 2012 at 20:04

It will be released in November this year

26. TravisT Friday 27th Jan 2012 at 20:07

I am serious it is confirmed

27. PurplePikmin2009 Friday 27th Jan 2012 at 22:35

Hmm if only I was older I could do all this waiting outside a store on launch night and picking up my Wii U.....but alas a few years left until I can do a "midnight launch".

Anyway I seriously cannot wait for the Wii U, my moneys saving, E3's coming, bring on this year, because I certainly am ready! :D

Also Pikmin 3 for the love of god!

28. ANintendoGamer Friday 27th Jan 2012 at 22:56

I am thinking a late September to October release, I would assume it wont be too long after E3 in July.