New Super Mario Bros 3DS game ideas

What John Vekinis wants from the new Super Mario 3DS game...

In the not too distant past the DS was graced with one of my favourite Mario games: New Super Mario Bros. Now almost six years after the first New Super Mario Bros, Nintendo has announced that a new Super Mario 3DS game is in production and, like New Super Mario Bros, it will be a side-scrolling game.

The best thing about New Super Mario Bros is its simplicity - I is so easy to pick up and play when I want a quick dose of Mario Bros action. The game managed to remind me of the NES and SNES Mario games but had a modern art style.

After the excellent Super Mario 3D Land>, it might seem like a backwards step to go back to 2D platforming after showing that a proper 3D platformer can work on the 3DS.

It must be said, though, that a side-scrolling Mario game can coexist with a 3D platformer - after all New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario Galaxy are on the same console. I envisage that a side-scrolling Mario would be amazing on the 3DS and will probably would give Super Mario 3D Land a run for its money. This is what I want from a New Super Mario 3DS game.

Donkey Kong Country Returns-style visuals

The 3DS console's 3D effects would lend a hand in ensuring the new Mario game's success. Cast your minds back to Donkey Kong Country Returns; the wonderfully designed levels featured land behind the main plane of the level and this allowed Donkey Kong to shift his position throughout the level to great effect.

If this same effect was applied to a Mario side-scroller on 3DS, it would be even better as the depth would make Mario look like he is running along the screen far away from you.

Multiplayer

Hopefully this new Super Mario 3DS game will feature multiplayer like New Super Mario Bros Wii. If so, Wario and Waluigi should replaces the Toads as multiplayer characters.Having one Toad was okay, but two? Surely one of those spots could have gone to another character.

More levels

It doesn't take too long to complete most handheld 2D Mario games so some extra levels would be nice. A green star challenge could even be implemented á la Mario Galaxy 2.

StreetPass

Another extra challenge could be StreetPass speed runs. You'd share your game data with other players you pass in the streets and see if you could beat their best times on certain levels.

Considering Nintendo's track record, the next Super Mario 3DS game is likely to be awesome but do you have any ideas that you think would make it essential.

Comments

1. Pokemon Luke Sunday 29th Jan 2012 at 18:18

This New Game Only Needs Yoshi Anew awesome Power Up And Whole Ton Of New Levels To Be An Amazing Sucsess (Unlike 3d Land...)

2. Buffoonary Sunday 29th Jan 2012 at 18:35

I would like it if they ditched the NSMB brand. The music and art styles were mediocre at best, and I don't want another similar feeling game. Personally, I want something more akin to SMB2 or SMW with more than one character playable that have different abilities. Being able to play as Peach or as flutter Luigi again would be great.

3. Samster64 Sunday 29th Jan 2012 at 19:12

i stand by what i said before:
    I hope that just because this is going to be a 2D game, they are still going to include 3D bits like cut-scenes and Sonic Generations style camera sweeps (Classic Sonic, console version). Mario jumping out towards the screen doing his iconic "peace" hand gesture, Super Mario World style wouldn't go down to badly either. One last thing: I think some more varied gameplay elements need to be included as well, in order to not seem too similar to the New Super Mario Bros. games, such as mine cart driving (or is that too cliche?) or maybe a snowy level that starts with Mario inside a big snowball rolling down a hill, needing the player to jump over rocks and chasms...for example...

4. LBDNytetrayn Sunday 29th Jan 2012 at 20:00

I like the art well enough, though they could stand to do more with it. When you get glimpses of something like a nighttime or sunset over the levels... well, I like that quite a bit.

As for the brand, I do have to wonder how long "New" will still seem new at all. But I don't want the Super Mario Bros. brand itself to ever go away again.

5. Satnav94 Sunday 29th Jan 2012 at 20:09

I am pleased to see that a new mario game is coming out but i am disapointed to see that it will be a side-scrolling game. I have always found super mario bros games too basic and very easy. I have to admit as well that im am very annoyed with nintendo, as when the 3ds was first announced, they had promised many third party games, such as saints row and resident evil(very good game), but as always nintendo have failed to produce the majority which had been announced. For this reason i decided to pre-order the vita. Nintendo consoles are atm relying to much on first party games such as mario and zelda, there is no variety and that is why more people do prefer xbox or ps3. On the other hand mario and zelda games r good reasons to buy a console. :)

6. ninjafox Sunday 29th Jan 2012 at 20:50

Excellent ideas John. I completly understand where you are coming from with the DKCR style backgrounds and the image of Tidal Terror illustrates this point perfectly. It would make sense to see Mario go back and forth between the foreground and background in a similar way to what was seen in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
    Expanding on your idea i think enemies should be able to interact between the two playing fields, perhaps a piranha plant could be seen in the background and as Mario approaches in the foreground the vine grows really tall and it flops forward onto where Mario is now.

I agree extra levels would be nice, perhaps just 2 more per world. If we do get a New Super Mario Bros game for 3DS i would certainly welcome some different themed worlds. The New Super Mario Bros Wii worlds were the same as the DS version just in a (very) slightly different order. I know the layout was different but still perhaps a return to chocolate island which we have not seen in a Mario platformer since Mario World could be in order?
    Chocolate island could be a wonderfull place to explore, for example in one level Mario could jump on a bar of chocolate and ride it down a sea of choclate that is been pumped out of Mario style pipe at the top of the level avoiding the usual Mario enemies on the way.

For street pass a level creator would be a good idea. Imagine walking past someone and them giving you a whole level that they have made. I am not thinking Wario Ware DIY style where it is down to every pixel but you are given say four sections which together make up a whole level, using the touch screen you select what theme you want do you want to start Mario in a grass area before suddenly launching them into a castle and finishing off the level in delfino plaza. Also i would welcome the opportunity to combine Mario enemies, imagine fighting a boss which has the body of petey piranha but the face of a goomba!

I think these ideas would help expand the Mario experience long after the player has seen the end credits :)

7. Cave_dweller Sunday 29th Jan 2012 at 21:14

More dynamic level design and camera angles would be great. Imagine an under-water level where you see a giant cheapcheep swim around in the background, when suddenly it faces the screen and rushes into the foreground to attack.

Also there needs to be a different setting for the game. We've had two games in a row that are simply set in the mushroom kingdom; even for a mario game it's getting a little repetitive. Nintendo brought back the koopalings so why not bring back Wart? Even if it's just to rescue Daisy, get Mario and co out of the mushroom kingdom!!

Characters with different stats and abilities would be awesome too. Imagine if Wario was playable andcould punch and perform a ground pound that stuns nearby enemies but have low speed and a smaller jump.

I hope Nintendo focus on different multiplayer modes and scrap the co-op idea. I'd love to see the return of Mario vs Luigi from the DS game. And this is incredibly unlikely, but a level creator would be amazing and the perfect way to use street pass in a 2D Mario game. What could also work is that Nintendo could release incredibly difficult new levels over spotpass.

The tanookie leaf got it's return and I would love to see the return of the feather. Most of all though, Nintendo need to put more enthuses on brand new items than they did with 3D Land

Finally, but most importantly, this game needs to be difficult. Beginning gamers already have 3D land, which really was painfully easy. I want to see the classic difficulty found in the older Mario games return. Maybe Retro Studios should be put in charge of this game after what they did with DKCR :P

8. Dalekbuster523 Sunday 29th Jan 2012 at 22:21

What would be nice is if you could choose to play as Donkey Kong. Imagine a multiplayer Mario side scroller featuring Mario,Luigi,Donkey Kong and Bowser as playable characters. There could be two modes: Hero mode(Mario and Luigi)and Villian mode(Donkey Kong and Bowser),both modes being two player. Basically,a bit like Lego Batman but Mario style. There could be a Donkey Kong-barrel bonus level.In hero mode,your jumping over the barrels. In villian mode,you're throwing the barrels.

9. Dalekbuster523 Sunday 29th Jan 2012 at 22:23

Disagree.I love Co-op. I find co-op play more fun than just doing random minigames that have nothing much to do with the actual game.

10. MikeIt0rNot69 Sunday 29th Jan 2012 at 22:40

maybe a new character not bowser as the villain all the time. also where's yoshi i didnt see it on 3d land

11. Dave-O Monday 30th Jan 2012 at 01:50

To make this or any side-scroller Mario spectacular, the secrets need to be plentiful such as in Super Mario World which had Yoshi coins, lots of secret exits in levels, the coloured block switches and a hidden star and special world. No other side-scroller Mario has used this many secrets since then. Also, it needs a lot of power ups possibly to the amount that Mario 3 had. This new game also needs a good level design with a good challenge and not too easy like most games. If anyone has played the e-reader levels from Mario Advance 4, thats the sort of challenge I'm looking for. One more thing, I would like to see a return of forgotten enimies such as the Chargin' Chuck and Sumo Brothers (those things that stomp to drop fire). These points would make the next Mario perfect.

12. Hams96 Monday 30th Jan 2012 at 04:29

I liked a lot of things in NSMBW - like Yoshi, the massive inventory, the four way multiplayer, and the on map mini-games - that didn't appear in NSMBDS. These would all be excellent. Finally, one small complaint about NSMBDS- on the world map you don't see Mario's face. I didn't like that. I want to see his entire face on the map, just like in NSMBW and 3D Land.

13. Gpmps Monday 30th Jan 2012 at 09:19

when will new super mario bros 3ds be released?
    next fiscal year?what does this mean????

14. ARWING64 Monday 30th Jan 2012 at 09:33

I would love to be able to play as a variety of characters like SMB2 on a second quest or something

15. ninjafox Monday 30th Jan 2012 at 16:28

next fiscal year?what does this mean????

It means the game will be released any time between April 2012 and March 2013 :)

16. IPecksU Tuesday 31st Jan 2012 at 20:40

I didnt like the wii one because it was so similar to the DS one, also ice flower and penguin suit were basically the same thing...

I'd be happy if they tried something new for mario like maybe they could go the rayman origins route and make it have beautiful artwork. Also more yoshi and make it longer.

17. LBDNytetrayn Tuesday 31st Jan 2012 at 20:50

Only inasmuch as the Tanooki Suit and Raccoon tail are the same thing...

...actually, not even. Those two are much more similar; the Ice Flower just allows you to throw Ice Balls, while the Penguin Suit has that, firmer traction on ice, better swimming ability, and the belly-slide.

The Penguin Suit is the best ever, and more common than the Tanooki Suit, too, but not too common.