Resident Evil 0 For Wii

Reports of a remake for the GameCube survival horror game

Resident Evil 0 may be coming to Wii according to a report in Japanese magazine Famitsu.

According to the report, it is set for release in Japan in the Summer and will once again star Rebecca and Billy. Resident Evil 0 was released exclusively on GameCube in 2003 and told the story of the T-Virus' origins.

Set 24 hours prior to the original game, it follows Rebecca Chambers - the newest member of Racoon City's Special Tactics and Rescue Service - and her partner, Billy Coen, as they investigate some suspicious goings on on a derelict train, a research facility and a factory.

It is probably the hardest Resident Evil game and you often had to switch between the characters, taking advantage of Billy's strength and Rebecca's healing capabilities when the situation demanded it.

Considering Capcom made huge strides forward with Resident Evil 4 it would be odd to make a straight port of this game as the controls were slightly awkward.

We contacted Capcom this morning but they wouldn't comment on the reports.

Comments

1. -mohsi- Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 11:15

WOW! I hope this is true as I loved Resident Evil 0 on the Gamecube although it was slightly awkward. And already a thrid Resident Evil game on the Wii, Wow! :)
    Capcom, please contact ONM and tell them this is true!

2. Anonymous Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 12:07

ide rather have a new resident evil game made whats the point spending Ł40 on a game you have completed rather buy a new resident evil that i havent done even it the remake used motion sensing rather play a brand new resident evil

3. LightSamus Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 12:34

IF it were to be RE4 style then it would be great but a direct port? What a waste of time. Buy the Gamecube original. It still plays on the Wii!

4. Gordon Ramsey Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 13:32

It's obviously not going to be totally remade to take advantage of the Wii controls like RE4: Wii Edition did. There'll be a few motion sensor based puzzles, maybe a bit of Wii Remote pointer aiming (not all the time like in RE4: Wii Edition), and widescreen support with 480p. Seeing as I've not played the Gamecube version I think I'll actually get this (aslong as it does have 16:9 and 480p).

5. Deku Scrub142 Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 15:52

I really hope that the game is getting more than just a port. After all I don't think Wii controlls could add anything to the game. I can't even imagine the game working from a Resi 4 point of view to be honest. It will have to do something impressive to get me buying it as Resi 0 on the GC was in my opinion perfect and I wouldn't want it messed with.

6. mightyjake Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 16:29

I agree. If Capcom decide to tweak it for Wii lets hope they dont do something atrocious and spoil a great game, its been done before...

7. Anonymous Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 16:45

I'm not sure the game would work for Wii, but it would certainly be a welcome addition. Resident Evil DS worked decently, so Resident Evil 0 Wii could use the same ideas.

Remember that "no comment" on rumours like this either mean "yeah, but shush" or "no, but we're keeping our options open. Not a bad idea."

8. MICKISME Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 17:02

The only way that this could work well is if they re-handle the controls or change it to more of a Resident Evil 4 Mechanic, because otherwise it wouldn't be using the Wii to it's strengths and would be a waste of a great game just ported onto Wii...

9. slangman Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 17:28

Unless Reisdent Evil 0 for the Wii will have controls like Resident Evil 4 i am not that intreasted since i already played the gamecube version and completed it 5 years ago.

As for the rumers i reckon Capcom is just keeping sushing up. I think this because the same thing happend with Resident Evil 4 and it got released at the end.

10. RobertK Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 17:46

Resident Evil 4 was majestic and umbrella chronicles was absolutely brilliant so I have no doubt that Capcom will make a great game out of this too. Never played it on GC so I will buy it either way

11. XBKphoenix Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 19:22

sigh
    been there, done that
    seems like loads of old games are being remade nowadays...wouldnt mind ff7 though :D :!:

12. Dan-the-Wii-man Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 19:23

how do you vote???

13. Dan-the-Wii-man Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 19:25

oops didnt mean to say that!! RE 0 on the wii would be AMAZING!!! i was gonna buy it on the gc recently but i didnt think id be able to go back to game pad shooting. i hope they release the whole series on the wii cos re4 was one of the best games ive evr played (third to twilight princess and mario galaxy)

14. blackdog1979 Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 at 20:57

I love the Resi games, and I loved Resi 0 on the GC, but why does Capcom seem to want to re-release this game on the Wii? As already pointed out, unless it has controls like Resi 4, then it's pointless...

Please Capcom, can us Nintendo fans have some brand new resi games? :cry:

15. grassman Thursday 28th Feb 2008 at 07:51

Don't want RE0, been there done that, what I want is RE5, am I going to have to buy a different console in order to play it ???

16. Wario90 Thursday 28th Feb 2008 at 10:55

I just finished posting a comment about gamecube games i would like to see on the wii and having never played the older resident evil games i put this down on my list. Then i went on straight back to the hompage and saw this article, so if its true its excellent news.

17. Plex Sunday 2nd Mar 2008 at 13:50

The only Resident Evil game I've actually played is resident evil 4 Wii edition, and I loved it, as I did with other Capcom classics such as Zack & Wiki: Quest For Barbaros' Treasure and Devil May Cry 4. I've always been meaning to purchase Resident Evil Zero, I've been deeply intrigued for some time now. It was just always the nagging feeling of poor visuals (the high-definition television I have makes last-generation games look very dull), slow action (Zack & Wiki: Quest For Barbaros' Treasure and Burnout Paradise, amongst others, were incredibly swift and conveniently intuitive - it would prove difficult for a last-generation game to retain very good impressions of mine) and unsatisfactory controls (a minor problem, but the GameCube controller has never exactly appeased me in the way the Wii Remote and Sixaxis joypad have proven). I was also always thinking of all the Blu-Ray discs and PlayStation 3 games I could purchase instead.

If Resident Evil Zero were to become a Wii remake, my fears may be conquered, and presuming LittleBigPlanet or Afrika doesn't come out at the same time, Resident Evil Zero would without doubt become a welcome addition into my games collection.