Who wants Pokemon Red and Blue on the eShop?

Tom would rather have Pokemon Puzzle Challenge!

Remember the early days of the Wii when you used to have to stay up until 11pm on a Thursday night to find out what was coming to Virtual Console? Those days as Nintendo usually reveals the weekly downloads in advance on a Monday. The surprise element has gone but at least you no longer have to stay up late, only to discover that another Bonk game has been re-released.

Whenever we reveal the week's selection of downloads, at least one person is disappointed that another week has gone by without Pokemon Red or Blue being added to the 3DS eShop. I know there is a lot of love for the original 151 but is the desire to see the originals return driven by a need to play them again or pure nostalgia?

Not that nostalgia isn't a good enough reason to download old games. Playing Tetris and Super Mario Land took me back to the days when I used to have to pay my school friend 50p to play on his Game Boy on the school bus. Aside from a Donkey Kong Game & Watch, these were the first Nintendo games I ever played and it was fantastic to be able to play them again in short bursts.

Having said that, as I said in my Tetris review, after playing it for a short while, I did feel that I'd rather spend 90p more and play the more recent DSi version of the classic puzzler. I feel the same might be true of the Pokemon adventures.

While something like Super Mario Land 2 is still a classic platformer, Pokemon has moved on so much since the days of Red and Blue, I'm not sure I'd want to go back to Kanto for too long. The lack of Running Shoes would be enough to put me off - it's bad enough playing Black and White without them for the first two hours let alone a whole game. Although, having said that, you can get around faster once you have the bike.

No, the real reason why Red and Blue might not make for the best 3DS download is because you wouldn't be able to trade Pokemon. Pokemon Red and Blue were sold on the trading idea - the whole point of releasing two games on the same day was so you could trade with your friends to get the Pokemon that were exclusive to the other version. Without the Game Boy Link cable, you wouldn't be able to, as the original tag line puts it, catch 'em all.

As we all know, the multiplayer options for the Virtual Console releases such as Tetris and Balloon Kid don't work on 3DS so battles with friends would be out too.

So the best way to play Pokemon Red and Blue is to play the FireRed/LeafGreen remakes which were released on GBA in 2004. You can still play them on a DS Lite.

However, if Nintendo were to re-release a Pokemon game through the 3DS eShop, I wouldn't say no to Pokemon Puzzle Challenge.

How about you? Do you want Pokemon Red and Blue to be re-released through the eShop?

Comments

1. Nintendo Mad Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:06

I don't understand why Nintendo don't just engineer the games to use wireless communications in place of the link cable for virtual console games, that way we could trade and play against friends whilst playing a nostalgic game. They could even put in a WiFi option. I'd like Red/Blue if they can be bothered to make it good, and make it so you can transfer Pokémon to the newer games.

2. TheNUKEnukeM Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:06

I was literally just about to post on the forum where is pokemon on the eshop. It needs to happen but they need to change it so we can trade pokemon across. Possibly if we buy both red and blue we an trade through the system. We need emerald though. Maybe have red with glitches and blue without. Remember they put them deliberately in ocarina 3d and they should at least one with glitches now. Fans love experimenting- Including me. I also enjoy getting high levels without effort. My red team has a level 100 charizard, Snorlax, mew, kabutops and two more cool ones i dont remember

3. Guitarhero84 Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:06

I'd love them to come to the eShop. I played through Blue again a few months ago, and found that I still love it as much now as I did years ago. I put more hours into my new Blue file than my Black and White ones, not because I don't like Black and White, but because Blue is just really nostalgic for me. Just make them cheap :D

4. Ningamer Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:07

I'm not too fussed because I've still got all the originals and a Gameboy Colour to play them on (Protip: The batteries in the cartridges are due to expire this year). I don't mainly play them for nostalgia (Though that's a bonus), I rather play them for all the game-breaking glitches. I remember many years ago discovering the fables MissingNo. and totally freaking out, then discovering I could get a Mew using a bug! Then there were all of those crazy glitch Pokémon and the glitched trainer battles on the coast of Cinnabar, which I found really cool and interesting. If Red/Blue do ever make it to the eShop (posibly along with some updates for the emulation to allow for multiplayer) I really hope they keep all the glitches of the originals intact.

If Red/Blue are not to be released ever, I'd at least like to see the TCG video game. Best spinoff ever. Except Pokémon Snap.

5. jimmyduckegg Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:09

Better question - who doesn't?!

Personally, if they did make some Multiplayer mechanic for 3DS Virtual Console games then it would be amazing! But I'd also like to see Yellow, Gold / Silver, Crystal, Ruby / Sapphire, FireRed / LeafGreen, Emerald, MD1: Red Rescue Team, Pinball, RS: Pinball... you get the picture

(Also, first post in over 6 months! D: I've missed this place!)

6. Captain Kuchiki Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:10

I agree with the trading argument - I imagine that was precisely why we didn't see a Pokémon title as a GBA Ambassador title (hell, they didn't even fix the multiplayer for Mario Kart: Super Circuit).

I would love to see Red and Blue released on the Virtual Console - and as the top selling Gameboy games of all time, it would be silly for Nintendo not to. However, to do so would most likely require Nintendo asking GameFreak to reprogramme them to use the 3DS' Wireless capabilities instead of the Link Cable. So that would require time and we all know time is money, so it would definitely be one of the more expensive titles if it was to happen.

This is why I do see FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald as more viable ports, as they use the Wireless Adapter so I expect that the change wouldn't be as drastic.

7. skyluigi Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:11

I'd rather see Ruby and Sapphire. Or even better, remakes!

8. TheNUKEnukeM Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:12

I would love to see Red and Blue released on the Virtual Console ... However, to do so would most likely require Nintendo asking GameFreak to reprogramme them to use the 3DS' Wireless capabilities instead of the Link Cable. So that would require time and we all know time is money.

Thats what the old man says if you say you dont want to see how to catch a pokemon.

9. bobble173 Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:14

I'd really love a pokémon game on eShop because it means I could take a pokémon game and a mario game on holiday without any cartridges/my game boy colour as well as a 3DS, I've never actually owned blue (although I've got red and yellow) so I'd love the option on the eShop

10. ChocolateYoshi Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:14

When I first bought my 3DS, I knew that gaming in 3D was going to change gaming - but the other - more promenant of the side features was the eShop, and the potential it had.

I have, ever since the first time I have played on the 3DS, wanted ANY retro pokémon game on it, mainly because my first game was Gold Version and even then I didn't understand how anything worked (restricting the amount of enjoyment i got out of it) - so this would be my chance to finally play the games every tells me I should have.

Big Yes!

11. hammster Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:21

I only ever used the link cable stuff like once or twice on these games anyway and neither did any of my friends. These are also my favourite games of all time so ofcourse I want them. To me, they haven't aged and haven't been topped. There's a potential in them that I'm not sure the other games in the series have lived up to quite yet (as good as they are). The absence of running shoes doesn't bother me at all as once I've played the games for a bit, I get back into the rhythm of them.

So yeah, give me them now.

12. ThePunnyGuy Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:25

Congratulations Tom. You have the honour of being my first post (not that anyone cares, lol).
    Anyway, purely for nostalgia, Yellow would be a great addition IMO. It was the first one I owned so it has a sentimental place for me. I would like to see Crystal also, however I don't see that happening any time soon since the remakes are still relatively new. However, I think gen. 1 is somewhat plausible. The remakes of them in themselves are now outdated from a hardware point of view, and so it may make some sense for Nintendo to release Yellow instead for the more retro Pokémon fans among us. Besides, it'd be nice to take a trip down memory lane.
    With regards to trading, this actually leads me on to my final point. I want it released as part of the 3D Classics series. I don't know if anyone else remembers, but a few years ago, screenshots of red/ blue in a 3D environment were released and they looked AWESOME! Add online trading and it's pure gold (or yellow, I guess).

13. TheMasterSword Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:37

Yes! Please Nintendo, release pokemon Red/Blu or Gold/Silver on the eShop! You know tons of people would buy it!

14. Pokemon Luke Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:43

I Understand The Need For Pokemon Nostalgia On The E Shop As Pokedex 3D Isnt That Good... A Hoen (Not Spelt Right) Pokemon Game Is What I Think Most People Need Whever Its The Original Ruby Sapphire Or The 3DS Remakes.

15. colourblindyoshi Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 17:55

anything they release should have compatibility with black or white or whatever, because keeping pokemon over consoles is a thing now.

thing is, gold and silver, are better games. in every single way. for goodness' sake, gold and silver has kanto even on the end game, with 16 gyms, and is absolutely freaking massive! its like the portable skyrim of 2000. its also one of the games that invokes the most nostalgia, as it took forever for red and blue to get here, and for many people, gold or silver was the first game they may have ever played (certaintly was for me, and people i know).

thing is, the compatibility features everyone is wanting would be an absolute pain for nintendo to put in, since they really aren't redeveloping the game in anyway, and imagine implementing wireless/wifi/whatever technology into a game boy game! the possibility of doing it a bit more like the pal parks of the more recent gens would be more realistic.

that said, i'd buy it anyway.

16. Amidamaru Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 18:14

I think they should remake them and have them work wireless, the original 151 are so much better than today's mangled mutations. In my eyes the original 151 are the only true pokémon. I would love the originals on the eshop. It would be awesome to relive to old days of kanto on the 3DS.

17. Minja Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 18:17

Why not Pokemon Yellow instead?

18. gamerkade Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 18:21

i think everybody would love it, they really should try doing it because lots of people want it and they will make a lot of money. They should also try pokemon XD and colloseum because with the new attachment adding the back buttons and right anolog stick, it would be great to play them again since they are hard to get and i stupidly sold them along with my gamecube to my cousin :(

19. Redfish20 Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 18:27

Well if they were going to make them work with the wireless they'd basically have to remake them anyway. 3D classics anyone?

20. bennyt Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 19:00

What Minja said, Pokemon Yellow please

21. Zephild Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 19:37

If it has wifi features of course, otherwise this is useless.

22. ThePokekid78 Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 19:48

I see what you're saying about the fact that you can't 'catch em all', so releasing the games without some kind of wireless trading option would be ridiculous. But, I'd say no to WiFi trading - that just wasn't in the originals, and they shouldn't be tampered with.
    But I'd actually be surprised to see Red/Blue in the eShop at all, because of the trading issues and the fact that they're still really big games compared to some full release titles today. They're big enough games that are still worth more than Ł5, and I think that a game about Ł10 would be unreasonable on eShop. So, I'm not sure they'll ever find a release.

23. wildlifepro Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 19:54

They could easily make them still tradeable, just not be lazy and change them slightly so you can trade.

24. hazzamadazzla Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 19:57

Yes if they put wireless functions on it so trading and battling can work

25. CaptainSnivy Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 20:13

Pokemon is the second best selling videogame series of all time, and Red and Blue were the best selling Game Boy games, so Nintendo would be mad not to rerelease them on the Virtual Console. Surely the effort of changing the game so that the multiplayer is wireless or maybe even Wi-Fi would certainly be worth it for Nintendo. Heck, why not throw in Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal and an English translation of Green as well?

26. 08davise Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 20:15

They really need to release the 1st and second gen pokemon games on 3ds virtual console, cause all of the original games, are going to die soon, cause of their stupid internal battery. I hate old fashioned technology!! ( well the crap bits of it)

27. metalgario Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 20:36

I don't get it!? I had Red and Yellow and loved them to bits at the time, but why would I want to play games where the remakes already exist that ARE compatible with the newer games? Fire Red and Leaf Green don't take anything away from the original experience, they enhance it.

Fair enough they don't have the Wi-Fi but all you do is transfer them to Black and White in order to battle.

Nintendo is prudent on keeping alot of the older games as is, and when they are potentially re-selling a game for Ł2.70 on the e-shop it's not going to be worth their while to make it Wi-Fi compatible, even with us Pokefans asking for it.

There's more chance of the Ruby/Sapphire remake where they get Ł25 out of us, which I'm happy to pay to get a suped-up Hoenn that's 5th gen compatible.

Either that or Nintendo need to focus on the Wii/Wii U/3DS version of Pokemon Stadium :)

28. blaziken411 Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 20:42

is a 3ds pokemon xd too much to ask for?

29. IPecksU Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 20:51

I want

30. nintyspong3826 Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 21:04

YES YES A BILLION TIMES YES

They were built on trading, which could now be done easier than ever with the (3)DS. It just means you and your friend can get different ones, JUST LIKE IT WAS BACK THEN ANYWAY. AND LIKE IT STILL IS TODAY. Or you could buy them both yourself, and trade internally? Neither of those are exactly hard things to do.

DO IT NOAW (The originals, then in like a year do Fire Red and Leaf Green)

31. superthingymabob Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 21:05

I never played the originals but i liked leafgreen.
    red and blue on vc is the least nintendo could do for making us wait to find out what the next game will even BE :cry:

32. LewiiG Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 21:51

...
    I wouldn't mind Pokemon Red and Blue on the eShop, it would give a chance to those who didn't exist at the time to experience the origins of Pokemon, but I wouldn't buy it. Unless they added something worthwhile. I mean, I still have Red literally right beside me. I'm in the middle of replaying it. (Well, re re re replaying it xD).

33. MikeIt0rNot69 Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 22:22

sure why not. It's just another game to entertain everyone

34. Wiimote Monday 6th Feb 2012 at 22:42

Yes definitely want red & blue on the eShop plus the older chatacters walked faster there for no need for running shoes.

35. RaidingRaichu Tuesday 7th Feb 2012 at 07:20

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Dimpee Tuesday 7th Feb 2012 at 07:24

Red and Blue would be awesome on the eShop! They could release Gold and Silver a year later as well!

37. Tikoru Tuesday 7th Feb 2012 at 09:26

Even better if you combine red/blue (though i would prefer yellow) with a wiiu vc of stadium to see on a bigger (or a wiiu) screen not to mention big sales for big N

38. TaskOfMajora Tuesday 7th Feb 2012 at 10:20

Personally I found Heart Gold and Soul Silver to be brilliant remakes whch captured the essence of the orignals with a great and imaginative flare, but Fire Red and Leaf Green were pretty bad remakes as they didn't capture the orginal feeling at all.

The original Red, Blue and Yellow were fantastic and they remain better than the remakes.

39. andymck07 Tuesday 7th Feb 2012 at 11:34

I'm not too bothered, I for one have played through them so many times I wouldn't be in any rush to play through them again on a different console.

40. Nickario Tuesday 7th Feb 2012 at 14:12

What I think would be a useful feature if they released the original Pokemon games on Eshop would be to have a way to transfer your team from R/B when you've downloaded and finish it onto B/W, like release a software update for B/W to allow this, also engineer wifi features onto them. :)

41. mushroomchow Tuesday 7th Feb 2012 at 15:20

I'd love to see an updated version of the game with wireless battle and all that, but I fear the funnest thing for me - namely, the many glitches present and messing with said glitches - would be removed to cater for any update present, and I'm of the feeling that the reason there has been no announcement of Pokemon R/B is exactly that - they don't want to release such an unstable game in case the ROM image plays up.

Not fussed about online, never have been - it's much more fun beating your friend than being slaughtered by some yank.

My thoughts exactly. FR/LG were dull. And the additional islands were a total afterthought - I always looked at them as a half-hearted attempt to appease the people asking for a game based on the Orange Islands from the anime?

42. ashtheman14 Tuesday 7th Feb 2012 at 16:58

While I do agree with most of this, I found it quite refreshing to play leaf green rather than my copy of red because of the graphical overhaul. Saying that, I go by what most people have said, I'd like Red/Blue/Yellow on the e-shop with wireless compatibilty for local battles. Call me a copycat but I'd like that to happen too. Seeing as GBA games don't seem likely to appear on the e-shop, I couldn't care less if they still release Red/Blue.

43. ktt Tuesday 7th Feb 2012 at 17:07

Not too bothered about them being released on the eShop. I'd prefer to buy them and play them on my orignal consoles instead!

44. abovethewell Tuesday 7th Feb 2012 at 17:11

I think they should make a new retro game, like megaman 9/10, they would be able to implement wireless as they could build it from the ground up and put glitches and stuff in. Set it in A new region but use the origional 151 pokemon, with mew being unlocked by having a complete save file of black and white or something. Just an idea :)

45. galaxydragon Wednesday 8th Feb 2012 at 13:52

I would so love pokemon yellow on the E-shop- My game boy version of yellow vanished into the ether and I miss my fat little pikachu trailing after me and falling asleep at the hands of jigglypuff in pokecentres : ')

46. inuyashaDS Wednesday 8th Feb 2012 at 16:06

i would rather a pokemon game where you can play as a boy and a girl

47. jopppoj Thursday 9th Feb 2012 at 14:52

I'd love red, blue or yellow on 3ds....also hoping we get a 3ds ruby/sapphire remake

48. Roswee-son Friday 10th Feb 2012 at 01:08

Noooo! I know I'm in the minority (going on these forums) and before you hate me I'm a massive pokemon fan, imported yellow when it first came out and loved it and my Pokemon gameboy color big time, I recently got back into it and got all 493 on platinum (Legit!) and have just started up pokemon white what with Arces and mewtwo available, and the two victini's, but... I'm getting there haha, do we really have time to go through them all again, I really want grey, I'd take it on DS, but would much prefer it on 3DS, I have every game in the main Pokemon series including the fire/left and heart/soul remakes but what with the trading feature most likely lacking (they didn't even have multiplayer in Lylat wars 3DS) so can't see them messing with these, I'm sure they'll be released in due course the money set to be made is un-ignorable, I just hope they hurry with....
    Kirby 2
    Wario land series
    Zelda oracle GBC games
    Metal gear solid GBC and the resi one would be worth a gander, Mario 3 from the NES and plenty more from the NES (can't wait for punch out) the Simpsons NES games would be cool California games, jackie chan,
    Plenty of other great games they could release, it's just all a bit drip fed
    2 GBC out of about 1000 at this rate they'll still be releasing games on the 3DS store in 2020,
    I know you can't have all the games in one go but would 3 a week Hurt (im talking a gameboy game or 2 maybe a GBC game a NES games or... GBA)
    A LOT of great games series theyve not even touched yet, kirby dreamland GBA, yes please.
    If you haven't buy balloon kid and one more, loving the mag especially the fact blast corps 64 has been mentioned how about a 3DS remake with online leaderboards, jet force jemini would be epic conkers while your at it.
    Last but not least how about some of the first DLC for 3DS Being the original island from pilotwings 64, Awesome! Ł5er well spent id pay a Ł10er I had to, used to be one of these crazy people who did it for cod, I'd much rather pilotwings these days, Viva la Nintendo!!! Long live miyamoto and his pikmin pixies

49. Cpt.Fish Friday 10th Feb 2012 at 12:55

Why not release a bundle pack? Red and blue in the same in the same one (red and yellow/ blue and yellow get different story lines) put in a trick so that the game think their hooked up to their partner in the track! When trading each screen could take over one game! Battling with a friend could work like battle revolution did when using one remote.
    And it would have multiple saves!... sort of... :|

50. jellyjal Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 14:00

it would be great to get to play them on the vc but it would be hard to complete because you couldn't trade on it and also you couldn't get the special pokemon from events but if Nintendo were to find a way to get around that problem then it would be fun!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

51. Daxthemax Sunday 19th Feb 2012 at 19:14

They should definitely re-release them. Pokemon Red, was the first game I ever played.

If they remade it, with wireless connectivity, so we can trade and battle with our friends, it would be incredible.

52. pokemonman99 Monday 20th Feb 2012 at 19:26

I'd love it on the eshop can you even get it on the eshop because i can't find it on the eshop as i am on my 3DS looking now!! Is that a joke or is it a :?:

53. ashtheman14 Monday 20th Feb 2012 at 19:32

It's not on the e-shop yet, so stop searching now. Also, I'd love to see some punctuation from you to be honest, your posts are often hard to read. I can't lie, sorry.

54. pokemonman99 Tuesday 21st Feb 2012 at 17:16

says you this is a forum not a lesson of English!!! :roll:

55. adamguy Tuesday 21st Feb 2012 at 22:57

says you this is a forum not a lesson of English!!! :roll:

Just because it's not an English lesson doesn't mean you shouldn't put effort into your posts. The whole idea behind a forum is to share your thoughts and communicate with other people; Making your posts so difficult is detrimental to this and fuels our opinion of you in a negative fashion. What astherman said was true, as your posts are extremely hard to read and gives the impression that they were written by an illiterate moron.

But hey, that's just my thoughts.

56. LiamALucien Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 22:36

I've had my limited edition Zelda 3ds over a year now with almost Ł10 just sitting there waiting to be spent! Honestly I'm just dissapointed at the lack of proper titles available for download. There have been one or two good ones ( original zeldas, mario land 2 & 3) but that is it! Everything else is just nonsense 3rd party crappy overprice rubbish . Sorry but its true. The 3ds is abismal in comparison to the Wii one. Where are all the N64 titles? There were tons on the Wii and the prices were so affordable. Everything decent on the 3ds store is extortionate! Why am I going to pay Ł30+ to download a gMe that has no box, no manual, nothing? I don't know what these developers are thinking? Where is the Mega Drive/Genesis games section? Why are there no GBA games? Every Thursday for the last year I have come back to that 3ds shop in the hope of finding something even slightly resembling the selection and quality that the Wii store had, but week on week I am dissapointed. Like I said I've got like Ł9.90 something just sitting there and I refuse to waste it on cheap and nasty 3rd party games I've never heard of or even want to know about, seriously Nintendo. Stop putting up all those lame videos and Wii U channels etc and get some serious downloadable content onto your device it's beyond a joke now seriously!

Many thanks

l A Lucien ( very dissapointed 3ds owner )

57. Combusken Saturday 2nd Feb 2013 at 01:26

Would I like to see Red, Blue and Yellow in the eShop? Yes I would but I feel that there would be problems with them if they did make it into the eShop.

The problems I see with Red, Blue, Yellow in the eShop are:

How would GameFreak deal with the Gen 2 to Gen 6 pokemon if Red, Blue and Yellow were on the eShop? The Gen 1 games only had 151 pokemon (and glitched MissingNo forms) .

The Gen 1 games only allowed you to play as the male character.

Chance are the slots over here in Europe would most likely be replaced with Voltorb Flip as that is what happened with HeartGold and SoulSilver.

* Currently we can only import pokemon from the regular FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald games into Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver using the original DS and the DS Lite.

58. AnotherCastle Saturday 2nd Feb 2013 at 14:36

I missed them the first time around so I'd love if this happened. Although, if they were brought onto the shop, it would be good if they got a graphical polish. Maybe there could be an option where we could decide if we want a graphical polish or if we want to play it like how it initially was, for purists et al.

59. moultage Friday 5th Apr 2013 at 02:24

They should just put all 151 Pokemon on one game, if you can't get the starter Pokemon they should put all 151 on Pokemon Yellow. I wouldn't mind just playing Pokemon Blue as it is without being able to trade Pokemon.