Animal Crossing 3DS preview

Tom Nook finally gets a new job in this 3DS sequel

Of all the upcoming 3DS games from Nintendo, Animal Crossing is probably the one shrouded most in mystery. While the general principle of the game is likely the same - move to a new village and live a virtual life among talking animal neighbours - there's still so much to find out about this one.

By far the most important question, however, is this: exactly how different will this new Animal Crossing be to the previously similar GameCube, DS and Wii versions? Will it be more of the same again, or have there finally been proper steps forward this time in an attempt to make it seem like a brand new experience?

Loading video...

While Nintendo's still not willing to blow the lid off it, we've at least managed to glean some more new details that suggest the 3DS version of Animal Crossing will indeed try to shake things up a bit and expand the gameplay possibilities further.

Boris Crossing

Possibly the biggest new addition to the game is the ability to play the game as the mayor of your village, instead of a mere resident.

We've since learned that as mayor you'll be able to decorate more of your village - you can add benches or street lamps to brighten the place up and make your villagers happier.

Being mayor can be a daunting task, so you'll be accompanied by your secretary, a character new to the Animal Crossing series. She looks a bit like a dog and while she can be clumsy, the game's developers claim that chatting with her may be one of the game's highlights.

At times she'll follow you around with a clipboard, pointing out the bits of the village that look particularly good and which parts may need some work, encouraging you to get your town planning hat on (not literally).

The village isn't the only thing that's been blessed with new customisation options this time around, mind you. Nintendo has promised that you can now design every aspect of your house, right down to the design of the mailbox and the type and colour of fencing outside.

Of course, you'll still be able to redesign the inside as well, as you'll still be able to buy, place and arrange furniture to get your living quarters looking however you'd like them to.

This time though you're not limited to the specific furniture designs, because you can now take your furniture to a special upholsterer shop to have it recoloured and redesigned. If you don't want that sofa to have love heart cushions any more and prefer luminous orange instead, you can change it around to suit your taste - however bizarre that may be.

Your characters also now have separate top and bottom outfit designs, so if you want your little Animal Crossing boy to wear a t-shirt and a skirt then, odd as that may look, you can do it.

Nintendo has also revealed more about the layout of the village. It's said to be a lot bigger this time than ever before, with many separate sections.

The beach area used to just be a small patch of sand at the edge of the village but it's now a larger area that you reach by walking down a cliffside path. You can swim in the sea if you like, or walk barefoot across the sand to recreate your favourite bad '80s movie.

Mall Wonder

You can now also cross the railroad tracks to see what lies beyond those. There you'll find a brand new shopping mall, offering lots more different shops and things to do than the city area in the Wii game, as well as a fancy street with a row of model homes.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. Haru Waji Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 14:58

This is one of the 3ds titles i'd gladly buy a 3ds console for. Keeps looking better and better.

2. XNintendoX Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 14:58

I hope it lets you transfer your lets go to city character cause I have years on that game!

3. XNintendoX Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 15:02

I can tell its gonna be good also I hope there are more wi-fi options

4. tomutwit Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 15:22

Sounds cool. I would like to do a "Lets Play" of it.

5. Charlarottskii Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 15:30

One of the games that I was most looking forward to hearing about! There's nothing better after a busy day than to sit down and relax with a copy of Animal Crossing, and the fact that this game is much bigger means that even my short attention span will be catered for :)

6. bennyt Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 15:54

Looks great, really cannot wait for this...just need a release date, hopefully for this year

7. Wiimote Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 16:16

I cant wait for this game. When its released my 3DS will be fully charged ready to play. For me its definitely a day one purchase.

8. mr.AR Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 16:29

I have to admit, I was once a Animal Crossing Addict, So looking at this game makes me feel all giddy inside, In a gamer sort of way. :oops: But I think it would be great to have a Demo. And Thats Demo with a Capital D. 8)

9. ledreppe Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 17:12

Liking the bigger vilage maps, I made my Let's Go to The City village slightly bigger by using a town editor hack! :lol:
    I understand the critisisms towards the Wii version, but because the Wii version was my first experience of Animal Crossing I don't feel these critisisms as others do. But *fingers crossed* I'm hoping this will be the best freshened experience that it can be on 3ds.

10. paultheotherone Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 17:53

Said it before; I hope this resembles the cube version in terms of randomness. It sounds like they are on the right track with the new expanded areas etc.

They could really take a chunk of the ios market if they get this right. And with streetpass and internet connectivity, I expect a lot of updates.

This could be gaming crack.

11. Shmilly Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 17:55

What's so odd about wearing a t-shirt and a skirt? I'm gonna put my character in a dress and a tank top.

12. skyluigi Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 18:30

I'm expecting this to come out around July. But I'd rather be proved wrong and get a March release date!

13. Xikelle Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 20:12

Definitely sounding good. This'll probably end up my third 3DS game (after ocarina of time 3D and kid icarus: uprising)
    Looking forward to playing an animal crossing game for the first time. House designing sounds fun, I don't know exactly how streetpass works with games, so I'm wondering whether you would have to have the game on at the time or not.

14. fisher2007 Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 21:31

also if you had animal crossing wild world character on that game for year's you transfer it lets go to the city then the 3ds.

15. Cpt.Fish Monday 13th Feb 2012 at 22:01

Massive town? Dress up as Link? A shopping mall? I get to be the mayor? I could wear a kilt?
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!! :x

16. XNintendoX Tuesday 14th Feb 2012 at 11:55

Yep im gonna do a Lets play for this game,because with all these new fetures who would not do one

17. PickleHB Thursday 16th Feb 2012 at 20:56

There should definately be an animal crossings adventures (search out the thread) style aspect to the game, whereas mysims was not as good as animal crossing, animal crossing could learn alot from some of the adventure/quest aspects of the other. A life consuming game to be sure, but you want to feel a sense of achievement that goes beyond a wide range of fish/bugs and cross pollenating flowers.

18. Cheeka_BubX Saturday 18th Feb 2012 at 18:35

How cool that you can design the mailbox and such! Sounds like I'll be creating themes!

I am a theme creater... mostly.

19. shadow.x Tuesday 28th Feb 2012 at 11:14

Just hurry up and bring it out!! I am getting very impatient here!! Lol

20. Gapa Saturday 3rd Mar 2012 at 16:40

I'm glad they have changed a bit because I think that the other Animal Crossing games are a bit samey. I can't wait to get it!

21. Booman Saturday 10th Mar 2012 at 16:18

Wait.. a dressed-up-as-link person? Does that mean you can dress up as Mario as well? :?:

22. Donkey Kong Jr. Saturday 17th Mar 2012 at 10:05

Do youthink this will be good for someone who has never played an animal crossing before.

23. Retro_D64 Wednesday 28th Mar 2012 at 18:23

One of the many 3ds games that i want this year :D i still remember playing the gamecube version, that game stole so many hours of my life, AND I LOVED IT :D

24. Epictorterra2001 Saturday 9th Jun 2012 at 07:33

town looks interesting :!:

25. Kymberley Saturday 22nd Dec 2012 at 15:01

I can't wait for this, it looks more amazing every time I look at it!

26. laurennintendo Sunday 6th Jan 2013 at 15:21

I can't wait til it comes out! woohoo! go crazy :!: :D

27. Mineturtle Wednesday 10th Apr 2013 at 17:31

cant wait to get it, it looks great
    Tho i hope they have got rid of the resetti guy i HATE that mole :x :x
    lol