Super Mario 3D Land 2 would be difficult - Hayashida

Would you like a Mario 3D Land sequel?

Koichi Hayashida has said that it would be difficult to see how Nintendo would make Super Mario 3D Land 2.

Hayashida recently commented that it would be hard to make Super Mario Galaxy 3 and now the Mario 3D Land director is making similar noises about a follow-up to his classic 3DS platformer.

Asked by Modojo if he had any ideas for Super Mario 3D Land 2, Hayashida said: "In the case of Super Mario 3D Land, I felt we got so much of what we wanted to do into the game, that we would start from a difficult position in having to come up with something from the same process.

"Having said that, we are always thinking of new possibilities for Mario gameplay experience, whether it's on a portable or console."

Loading video...

Nintendo are currently making a new 2D Mario 3DS game.

[ Source: GoNintendo ]

Comments

1. gmundy Wednesday 14th Mar 2012 at 13:37

I would prefer a more free roam style Mario again, non linear, like Super Mario 64.

2. IndigoStevie Wednesday 14th Mar 2012 at 15:21

I want a Super Mario Sunshine sequel, or even a remake for 3DS

3. lrwr14 Wednesday 14th Mar 2012 at 17:12

I want a Super Mario Sunshine sequel, or even a remake for 3DS

^This^

I love Mario Sunshine, so a sequel would be amaing- Touch screen to aim (or wii mote on the wii) and L or R to shoot, Metroid Prime Hunter controls

4. MagicMan5 Wednesday 14th Mar 2012 at 17:48

No, I'd prefer another collect the stars and swap characters Mario game like Super Mario 64.And this time with Walawuigi, please.

5. zaine02 Wednesday 14th Mar 2012 at 18:12

bigger levels and bigger game.. bring back some of the card games and that too :) poker in 3d would be col but with more than just luigi and maybe online so you can play with your mates :)

6. Cyberguy Wednesday 14th Mar 2012 at 19:40

I wouldn't mind SM3DL2, as long as they make it harder and don't rehash levels.

7. shadowlugia101 Wednesday 14th Mar 2012 at 19:51

i think its now time to take waluigi out of the sports center and get him in to some proper Mario titles, it would be good to see Mario and Luigi go up against Wario and waluigi in the new Mario game

8. King Slazo Wednesday 14th Mar 2012 at 20:24

As long as its harder than SM3DLand, I don't mind what Mario game they do next on the 3DS. Seriously, I finished the main game with approximately 100 lives, and all the Star Coins.

9. Misanthropy Wednesday 14th Mar 2012 at 20:31

first they say it would be difficult to do super mario galaxy 3 and now they say the same thing about a sequel to super mario 3D land.
    I liked super mario 3d land it was a good first 3d mario game if you don't count super mario 64 DS because that was a remake but they showed that they can do a free roaming 3d super mario game on a handheld console and that is what I'd prefer for the next mario game on the 3ds just like a handheld sequel to super mario 64 or super mario sunshine, collecting stars not star medals and no time limit

10. lminett Wednesday 14th Mar 2012 at 21:46

Not another Mario 64 or mario sunshine! Galaxy made the 3d mario games fun, 3d land made the 3d games easiser to play. Dont go back to the older 3d mario games, they arent fun

11. TaleOfTheToaster Wednesday 14th Mar 2012 at 22:30

This to me, is nothing but good news.

12. jordan.seawiz Thursday 15th Mar 2012 at 01:51

Super Mario Galaxy 3 would be EPIC. That would make my life. :D

13. igual Thursday 15th Mar 2012 at 09:48

A Super Mario World 3 would be nice, just similar to SMW1 on the SNES. And no, not like in the "new" super mario brothers game on the Wii. What I want is colored eggs, keys, secret doors, confusing ghost houses, a star road (!), the cape(!!), yoshi with special abilities and the gates at the end of the level!

14. Oxo64 Thursday 15th Mar 2012 at 13:10

I remember the same was said about Galaxy 2 but I found it was one of the easiest Mario titles. Still, it's one of the best though!

15. Quantum Raven Thursday 15th Mar 2012 at 21:10

Super Mario 3D Land is the most ambitious Mario game ever made so I don't see a Super Mario 3D Land 2 happening at all (and I also don't see Super Mario Galaxy 3 happening). Super Mario 3D Land was ment to blend the side-scrollers with the 3D free-roamers for the best of both worlds and they have pulled it off but Nintendo did it only as a technical exercise to see if it could be done and the thing is that the ship was nearly scuttled when it came to reviewing it so Nintendo should play it safe from now on with the Mario platformers and make the traditional side-scrollers and the traditional 3D free-roamers where you are not forced to complete the level within an allotted time.

16. AR master Friday 16th Mar 2012 at 09:48

they're remaking luigi's mansion, why don't they remake sunshine as well?

17. SM3DL2 Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 22:50

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :cry: :(

That's my day ruined.

No Super Mario Galaxy 3!

At least there is Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Luigi's Mansion to look forward to!!

18. SM3DL2 Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 22:51

they're remaking luigi's mansion, why don't they remake sunshine as well?

Excellent point. :D