Skylanders Giants needs online battles

Skylanders fan Marti Bennett reveals her Skylanders Giants wish list

Last month at the New York Toy Fair Activision revealed plans for the sequel to the hugely successful Skylanders Spyro's Adventure. Called Skylanders Giants, it sees the nasty villain Kaos returning to try and rule Skylands once more. To stop Kaos succeeding you are now able to summon the powerful Giants to help you.

The new game introduces eight new regular characters to collect but its the Giants that this game is built around. These are twice the size of normal Skylanders. Additionally, there are the Bright Light characters who light up when placed on the Portal of Power.

That's what we know so far. As a huge Skylanders fan, I'm going to tell you what I would like to see improved in the next game.

Skylanders Spyro's Universe

Tucked away on the Skylanders website is an online community called Skylanders Spyro's Universe. While still in BETA, this is a fun online experience which enables you to use the portal of power to summon your Skylanders into this online world. There are many mini-games that can be played, giving you the opportunity to earn coins to buy upgrades for your very own Skyland.

I would love to see Spyro's Universe implemented in the main console games in some way. It's fun to see other people's collections and discover how they have personalised their Skyland. Hopefully, when Spyro's Universe is finished, there will be mini-games to play with others online. Spyro's Universe is being updated frequently and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops in the future.

Online Co-op And Battles

Sadly, the original Skylanders had no online functionality. One of my favourite parts of Skylanders was the ability to play the game co-operatively with a friend. It would be nice to have the choice to play a level with someone online (registered friend or a random person).

The battle mode on Skylanders is also lots of fun! Along with online co-op, the ability to battle other people's Skylanders would be an improvement on another great feature.

Hire Skylanders

One of the biggest problems with Skylanders is the availability of all of the figures in the shops and online as I've found it difficult to find them all. There is the argument that you have to buy Skylanders to complete it 100% and I completely understand why people would have an issue with that. Personally, I feel that if you have at least one Skylander of each element (to do the elemental parts), you would get the most out of the games.

So if you're angry at the idea of spending more money on figures, or just can't find the figure you are after, I feel there should be a way to hire Skylanders you need for certain parts of the adventure. Having the physical figure is part of the huge success and magic of the franchise and it does feel a little unfair on those that like seeing 100% on the game (even if story mode is fully achievable with the starting figures alone).

In Skylanders Spyro's Universe you are able to use in-game currency to hire Skylanders for a limited time so you can use their special abilities in the mini games.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. Murphy11 Saturday 17th Mar 2012 at 08:28

I love Skylanders
    I have the Wii and 3DS Version of the game and I have around 28 Figures. That includes all The Earth (INC Legendary Bash) All the Undead inc L-Chop Chop and all the magic inc L-Spyro. I think I have all the ones currently out in the uk :D :D :D

2. zeldapro9124 Saturday 17th Mar 2012 at 10:23

well now we know who has been buying all the skylanders in the UK

3. colourblindyoshi Saturday 17th Mar 2012 at 10:59

scraping the barrel with this one, why couldn't have they made this game without making the kids playing it want everything, so you have to pay more than is possibly reasonable. its a cash cow, its also a shame its actually a reasonable game...

4. PokeMarti Saturday 17th Mar 2012 at 17:43

its a cash cow, its also a shame its actually a reasonable game...

Sadly no one can deny it is a huge cash cow, and the game is fantastic it is such a shame the 'pay to play' element takes attention away from that.

well now we know who has been buying all the skylanders in the UK

Not me! I only have 16

5. King Slazo Saturday 17th Mar 2012 at 18:07

I want to get Skylanders, as when I've played it on demo pods in Game its brilliant, but the price is so very, very offputting. Here's hoping the sequel lowers the cost of the original tech a little bit.

Not me! I only have 16

Jeez Louise I thought there were only half a dozen or so.

6. PokeMarti Saturday 17th Mar 2012 at 18:14

Not me! I only have 16

Jeez Louise I thought there were only half a dozen or so.

There are 37 Skylanders (including different colours of same one). The PC version was 19.98 on GAME's website (I ordered it) the other day, might be worth picking up if you cant justify 50 for the console version.

7. AR master Saturday 17th Mar 2012 at 21:54

if it's under 50 quid (unlikely) than i might get it.

8. killer1 Monday 19th Mar 2012 at 16:04

you should be able to download them on the e shop/psn/wii shop/x box live/online cheaper than they are in the shop it would also save space and time