Epic Mickey 2 Wii confirmed, it's a musical

Epic Mickey: The Power Of Two coming to Wii in the Autumn

Epic Mickey 2: The Power Of Two has been announced for Wii, but the follow-up to the 2010 adventure sounds very different as producer Warren Spector has confirmed that it will be a musical.

Explaining his decision to include singing and voice acting, Spector told the San Francisco Chronicle: "I'm such a geek about musicals. I love the co-op and next-gen stuff, but for me, when a character breaks into song, which they do on a regular basis in this game, it's magic."

Yet, it's not all change. We're back in the Wasteland, the home of forgotten Disney characters and some locations from the original will return, although they have been damaged by earthquakes.

Paint and thinner, which was central to Epic Mickey, will return as Mickey will be armed with his magical scenery-altering brush and your actions in the game will again have a bearing on the outcome.

However, this time there is drop-in, drop-out co-op gameplay as Oswald the Rabbit - armed with a special remote control that commands electricity - joins forces with Mickey. We can see that working well with the Wii Remote.

Also, Spector has promised that his team is working hard on improving the camera for the sequel.

"We've had a team working on the camera from literally the day we finished the first game," said Spector. "They'll be working on it until the day we ship the second game. (There have been) over 1,000 specific changes made to the camera. Our goal is that you will not have to touch the manual camera controls even once to play through the main story path of this game."

According to Official Nintendo Magazine France, Epic Mickey 2 is also coming to 3DS.

Epic Mickey 2 will be released for Wii this Autumn. Are you looking forward it? Do you like the idea of it being a musical?

Comments

1. dudettecolette Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 16:41

SO HAPPY

2. shy guy 64 Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 16:45

that sounds AWSOME

(believe it or not but i thought about making a musical game when i got into the industry)

3. callum2003 Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 16:53

Looks awesome!!!

4. 9 Times Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 16:59

I hope these musical bits are for cutscenes only. I don't want Mickey and Oswald breaking into a duet in the middle of a boss battle.

5. NOM is NOM Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 17:01

Good news, lets hope he lets trailers/press releases do most of the hyping up and not make statements every week saying "This game is amazing" "This game is a revolution" and "I would marry this game", like he did with Epic Mickey

6. Darkblizz Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 17:02

They're really going the whole hog with this one aren't they? I can't wait.

Just please tell me you can be Oswald outside of co-op play...

7. onmsam Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 17:06

what about wiiU ?

8. tomonm Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 17:07

what about wiiU ?

Doesn't sound like it's coming to Wii U. Oh well, nice to know that there's another Wii game to look forward to.

9. ploiper Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 17:31

a musical? well im sold, time to count down the days :D

10. yubel Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 17:43

While I'm happy that this has finally been confirmed, I'm not keen on the musical aspect they've introduced. I'm neither certain that I'll be pleased with the voice acting, but the rest of the game sounds promising.

The camera seems to be beyond the improvement I was hoping for since the first game, and I look forward to re-visiting certain locations. The combination of voice acting and music will have to be heard before I pass judgement, but I predict these choices will make me think twice about purchasing Epic Mickey 2.

11. Segafan134 Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 18:23

Yes thank you disney

12. Monkey Balls Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 18:28

Hm... is Oswald fully playable? The drop-in/drop-out aspect, coupled with a more automatic/less manual camera system, suggests the second player is tagging along and using only the Wii Remote to assist (similar to Super Mario Galaxy). If it's a proper co-op with full controls on both characters then that could be interesting (despite the fact I'm not a big fan of musicals).

Also, they should change the name. Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two is a bit long-winded - why not just call it Epic Mickey: The Power of Two, as the "2" is rather unnecessary and... ugly (if that makes sense). People will still call it Epic Mickey 2 regardless.

13. MrChewtoy Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 18:51

In the blurb below the article title, I thought you meant "the power of two coming"...

Family forum, family forum, family forum xD

14. ledreppe Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 19:40

Like someone said before, I'm thinking about this twice now, but will reserve judgment on the musical aspect until later.

15. MarioKartVader Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 19:50

A musical?! I wont be getting this then

16. IPecksU Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 20:56

Well, having seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppj1nXkS4Ok I'm horrified.

17. Dan-the-Wii-man Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 21:18

YAY DISNEY MUSICAL YAY

18. Issun2765 Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 22:12

:o Mr Chewtoy...
    Don't worry, college does this to us all.

In contrast to that forum member, I would like songs to burst out mid-boss battle a la Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogies Revenge :D

19. PuAl Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 22:17

This makes me wish I had a Wii so I could play the first one in preparation.

20. jamesslater Wednesday 21st Mar 2012 at 22:35

@Issun2765 Or the "Great Mighty Poo" from Conke'r Bad Fur Day :twisted:

Back on topic: Frank Welker is doing the voice of Oswald. :D

21. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Thursday 22nd Mar 2012 at 12:45

Wait...Oswald is playable? BOOM SHACKALACKA!!! INSTANT BUY!

Also if it's a musical that means...voice acting...right?

22. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 22nd Mar 2012 at 13:34

I'm so happy,Epic Mickey was one of the best games on the Wii,and hopefully this will be just as good,if not better.
    Wii game of 2012,it might just be.