Wii U Wish list: 6. Donkey Kong Country

8 things we'd like to see in a Donkey Kong Wii U game

A few months ago, Nintendo revealed that they'll have great first-party games for the Wii U launch. While everyone is looking forward to Mario, Zelda and Pikmin Wii U games, how about another hero who returned in glorious style on Wii a few years ago. I'm talking about Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong Country Returns had all the appeal of the original games, boasting beautiful modern visuals and a difficulty level to keep the hardcore happy. It would be great to see Retro make a follow up - they did such a great job visually with the Wii, so imagine what they could achieve with in HD. With that in mind, here's are eight things that would be great in a Donkey Kong Country Wii U game.

1. A More Engaging World Map

Though the map screens in Donkey Kong Country Returns were great, nothing beats the explorability (new word alert!) of the world screens in Donkey Kong Country 3. Whether it's the hidden Banana Bird levels or the use of different craft to explore the environment, or the bartering system of the Brother Bear characters, it was the funnest map to explore this side of Super Mario World. Throw in some hidden areas, alternative paths, secret levels and the return of Funky's Flights and Swanky's Sideshow and you have a potential winner of a map screen.

2. Bring Back the Kremlings!

Though I have nothing against the Tikis as villains, they just didn't have the iconic status of the Kremlings. Most importantly, bringing back the Kremlings will bring back their leader, King K. Rool, who is up there with the most exciting end bosses of all time, always guaranteed to deliver something special to that final battle.

3. Welcome back Dixie

Following the pattern of the original games series, can we have Diddy and Dixie as the two main playable character? Or perhaps take a leaf out of Sonic's book and allow you to choose the character you can play as from the roster of Kongs. This would allow for alternative routes in each level that only certain Kongs can access.

4. Animal Rights

Though the appearance of Rambi and Squawks in DKCR was fantastic, I want more animals to return. I always had a soft spot for Squitter and his web weapons and platforms, but equally Winky, Rattler and Enguarde are quality companions. Plus, the return of DK's swordfish would allow for water levels to come back. Sure, they may slow down the action at times but, if executed well, this isn't always a bad thing.

5. Bring in the Orchestra

The classic Mario music was performed by a massive orchestra in the Galaxy games so it would be great to have the same treatment for the, arguably, even better range of tunes in the Donkey Kong Country song book. Imagine hearing some of the beautiful, distinctive songs such as the main theme, Disco Train or Jib Jig, performed by real people?

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. lminett Wednesday 28th Mar 2012 at 14:23

I agree with everything on this list except that id rather it was just DK and diddy. Its just silly not being able to play as the big ape. Also like to see some classic levels reworked into the game, so Bramble blast, tree top town and barrel cannon canyon would make a great return

2. Magmortar963 Wednesday 28th Mar 2012 at 15:04

I want a 3D Donkey Kong like Donkey Kong 64!

3. cheatmaster30 Wednesday 28th Mar 2012 at 15:09

I agree with the whole list. Indeed I even wrote my own article about this very subject and said many of the same things:

http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendoart ... pe-to-see/

Still, I'll be a bit more in depth about the things in your article. I agree that Returns's bosses could have been more interesting (and was kind of disappointed they were generally just animals, whereas the original series has stuff like Dumb Drum, Kleever and Bleak as well as just the local wildlife). I agree with orchestrated music (although I'm surprised you didn't use Stickerbrush Symphony as an example) and I agree ever so much about the Kremlings and K Rool.

As for stuff you didn't mention that I'd want, those would be snow/winter and underwater levels (which could look great on the Wii U or 3DS), a proper Lost World with secret final boss (not like the Gold Temple) and stuff from more of the older games.

But great article!

4. jimmyduckegg Wednesday 28th Mar 2012 at 16:17

Donkey Kong Country WiiUnion
    How could they not do it!?

5. wilrc6 Wednesday 28th Mar 2012 at 21:46

doesn't Rare own the rights to King K.Rool and the Kremlings?

6. Misanthropy Wednesday 28th Mar 2012 at 23:32

as the above poster said doesn't rare own the rights to king k rool and the kremlings because they created them? I think thats why they weren't in DKCR but would love to see a donkey kong platformer on the wii U hopefully more like donkey kong 64

7. cheatmaster30 Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 01:34

Nope, Rare doesn't own the Kremlings or K Rool. Keep in mind that the SNES games are on Virtual Console which wouldn't be possible if they did, and that many a Mario spinoff and Donkey Kong game since used them (King of Swing, Jet Race, Jungle Climber, Konga series, Mario Super Sluggers), which also wouldn't be possible if Rare owned them.

They can easily be in the next Donkey Kong Country game.

8. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 09:42

Yeah, and don't forget that the Kremlins appeared in Mario Smash Football and Super Mario Sluggers which had nothing to do with Rare.

However, I am sick and tired of people banging on about orchestral music in games, like it automatically makes it better. Screw your chellos, give me synth and rubbish drum samples any day.

9. allanironmaiden Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 15:45

i'll need to hunt out my donkey kong country 4 thread that i created in the wiiware section of the forums again.....LOADS of the ideas in there were amazing, in touch with the original series and would be great additions to a new wii u version

10. Skywardwolf23 Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 16:22

I think they should bring in the wifi option. Allowing you to do bosses and stages with diffrent people.

11. primus85 Friday 30th Mar 2012 at 07:58

I strongly agree with that, i'd love another platformer like DK64. I spent hours and hours on that game (Rareware coin anyone??) though i wouldn't mind a return to the oldskool, i still think DK64 was my favourate of the bunch.

They could possibly make a 3DS version that communicated with the Wii U Version.

12. Shawksta Friday 30th Mar 2012 at 16:36

not bbad, excellent choices.

Although with Mario dominating platforming linearly its time DK returned to dominate Open World platforming with a successor to DK64, Retro can do it if they tried, DKCR was fantastic.

13. jonnyjazz Thursday 5th Apr 2012 at 22:52

C'mon how can any Donkey Kong list be complete without Funky Kong being the main talking point? In all seriousness though I think that a funky kong DJ section would be awesome. You could use the WiiU controller as a disc you can scratch using the touch screen and you could have a cool little donkey konga meets DJ hero type thing going on, what's not to love?

14. spacemen13 Thursday 26th Apr 2012 at 18:01

There is not point bringing in animals coz donkeys just gonna crush them!

15. Nickos Saturday 22nd Dec 2012 at 21:55

I want a new DK U game NOW!!!!!!! I want DK as the main character and many others as second players. I love DK! :)