10 amazing Legend Of Zelda facts and secrets

Including things you might have missed in the classic games

If you rush through The Legend Of Zelda games to get to the end you may miss some great secrets. For example, if you look through a certain window of Hyrule Castle before you meet Zelda in Ocarina In Time, you'll see a New Super Mario Bros picture.

Now ONM forum member Zabba 2 has rounded up 10 interesting facts and things you may have missed from the Legend Of Zelda games.

1. The Dying Soldier - Ocarina Of Time

There's a very obscure interaction often missed by players in Zelda: Ocarina of Time. After meeting Ganondorf face to face and getting the Ocarina of Time, but before opening the Door of Time, there is a wounded soldier slumped in the back alley of Hyrule Market. He explains what happened regarding Ganondorf and why Zelda has fled, before dying quietly. This interaction can only be accessed between this short frame of time.

2. Ganon's Sword - Wind Waker

In Wind Waker, if you translate the Hylian text on Phantom Ganon's sword, it states Zubora Gabora. This isn't meaningless gibberish - it's actually the names of the two blacksmiths who reside on Snowhead Mountain in Majora's Mask.

3. Totaka's Song - Link's Awakening

The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening is one of the few Nintendo games to feature Totaka's Song. The song is a 19-note tune that composer Kazumi Totaka is famous for hiding in nearly all the videogames he works on. The song is infamous for being notoriously difficult to find, to the extent that people are still looking for it in some games as far back as the N64. In Link's Awakening, it can be heard if you wait in Richard's villa for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. A second method involving the name-select screen exists for the Japanese and German versions only.

4. Spell it out - The Legend Of Zelda

In the original Legend of Zelda, the layout of five of the dungeons in the Second Quest mode spell out the word Zelda when arranged accordingly.

5. Indigo-go's - Majora's Mask

If you visit each member of The Indigo-go's in their rooms in Majora's Mask, each can be found playing a piece of music from other Zelda games. Evan plays the Game Over music from the original Legend of Zelda, Japas plays the Underworld music, again from the original Legend of Zelda and, finally, Tijo plays the cave theme from A Link to the Past. Additionally, the band are famous for their single "Ballad of the Wind Fish", a reference to Link's Awakening.

6. Tingle Tuner - Wind Waker

In Wind Waker, if you make use of the Tingle Turner in the Tower of the Gods dungeon, a secret story can be found called The Legend of the Fairy. This 5-part tale tells of a fairy that, long ago, appeared before the Hero of Time, aiding him while he was "Lost in darkness by supplying him with maps. This 'legend' is, in fact, a chronicle of Tingle's role in Majora's Mask. It is said on an island in the Great Sea, "they celebrate one's 35th birthday with a green coat and red pants. They do this in hope of becoming like the legendary fairy, Tingle!".

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. olrodlegacy Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 16:40

For me, the Tingle Tuner alone made Wind Waker the best Zelda ever!

2. shadowlugia101 Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 16:41

these facts are absolutely amazing!! i only knew the starfox one but the rest were incredible! espicaially the hero of shade one!!

3. shy guy 64 Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 17:04

didnt you do this reacently

4. alexjones94 Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 17:05

Are you guys accepting features from forum members now, then? I'd certainly be up for writing one if you are!

5. the fly guy Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 17:30

Pretty sure you did this in the mag but these are different.

6. LOZ_01 Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 17:33

ive played through ocarina so many times through the years and i have never known about that dying soldier!!
    i thought i knew everything about that game.
    you really do learn something new every day!! :D

7. ArmouredSwampert Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 17:45

I was expecting some really obvious stuff, but this is actually fantastic!

8. Crisps Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 18:35

Only the Hero's Shade and Tingle Tuner facts were new to me, but the rest are still really interesting. One thing that I've only recently noticed is the design on the Hylian Shield (this is just my assumption, I'm probably wrong). It features a red bird - seeing as Skyward Sword is the earliest game in the Zelda timeline, and that all of the other SS shields feature a bird design, I'd assume it's the Crimson Loftwing.

9. Ai64 Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 19:22

I didn't know about that wounded soldier. Woah.
    Also, that hero of shade still gives me the creeps. :shock:

10. tomonm Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 19:45

Well, after he selected the Pokemon facts from the Pokemon forum, Zabba got in touch with me to ask me if he could write this feature. I said yes and, as I'm sure you'll agree, it's really good. We're always open to ideas and well-written articles, so if you have anything to offer, feel free to send me an email or a pm!

11. TaskOfMajora Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 20:34

These are amazing. I can't begin to put into words how shocked, amazed and pleased I am!!!

I've played through Ocarina and Majora more times than any other games. I grew up with them, and I play them all the time. So how I've never seen the dying soilder one is beyond me!

12. Darkblizz Thursday 29th Mar 2012 at 22:34

'The legendary fairy, Tingle'?

Ye Gods, they really do love the little pervert don't they?

13. primus85 Friday 30th Mar 2012 at 08:20

Most of these facts are legendary!! Im going to run through all my zelda games now just to find some of these :D. I always thought the shaded hero was Link from OoT and now i have confirmation, time for a replay i think :D

14. primus85 Friday 30th Mar 2012 at 08:22

Someone answer this dude's post because i would like to know if it's true or not.

15. ChipsNGravy Friday 30th Mar 2012 at 11:02

A few of these actually smacked me in the chops. I mean, I'm 25 now and I've played Ocarina through dozens of times and spent hundreds of hours on it. So my surprise about the solider laying in the backstreets of Castle Town Market is amazing! I'm going to have to play it through again now!

Also the words on Ganondorf's sword in The Wind Waker about the two blacksmiths from Majora's Mask. Lip smakingly shocking!

16. RubbishGamer Friday 30th Mar 2012 at 11:52

Indeed. In the split timeline theory Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are in parallel existences, maybe we'll see a game where Ganondorf takes over Termina in the adult timeline and acquires these swords!

17. MartinIsAwesome Friday 30th Mar 2012 at 15:16

The only ones that are really interesting to me is the Indigo-gos and the Ganondorf's Swords facts! I didn't even know there was text on the swords, let alone that they spelled the names of two forgotten characters from Majora's Mask.

18. GloverMist Friday 30th Mar 2012 at 15:38

Whoa... that dying soldier is creepy, I've never noticed that before! :shock: To be honest, the whole 'ghost of Link' thing is creepy, too! Great article, by the way.

19. callum2003 Friday 30th Mar 2012 at 17:24

I never knew the hero's shade was OOT and MM's Link I thought it was the original TLOZ 's Link!

20. Redfish20 Friday 30th Mar 2012 at 18:23

Good to have confirmation on the Hero's shade!
    Miffed I never knew about the dying soldier before!

21. morg199911 Saturday 31st Mar 2012 at 07:07

i know the tataninos song one, and the star fox one, but the other eight were completely new to me.

22. TheImprobableOne Sunday 1st Apr 2012 at 10:15

The Hero of the Shade one is amazing... and kind of sad. I have to wonder how he died...

23. morg199911 Sunday 1st Apr 2012 at 11:34

Suicide after his hat was burned?
    Maybe he never did die, maybe he chose to be turned into a ghost to watch over Hyrule forever. :shock:

24. Arceus_Ruler Sunday 1st Apr 2012 at 15:48

Wow. I thought I'd seen everything in my multiple playthroughs of Ocarina of Time but I'd never seen the wounded soldier. It's quite grim how he dies like that, even for Ocarina of Time with it's ReDeads and Gibdos.

25. hamzahdsi Monday 2nd Apr 2012 at 13:10

...interesting

26. Red-Wolf Tuesday 3rd Apr 2012 at 15:16

I never thought that the Hero's Shade could be Link. I just thought that it was the spirit of some soldier who knew some of Link's moves. Also, that Wind Waker artwork is epic with a side order of chips!

27. Callumisepic2501 Wednesday 4th Apr 2012 at 18:35

cant believe that was oot's link. whoa...

28. PureAwesomeness Wednesday 4th Apr 2012 at 21:11

Cool facts! The only downfall is the last one, I'm sure that everyone knows that right now.

29. shadow.x Thursday 5th Apr 2012 at 13:38

I love the Hero of Time fact, I would never have guessed. But now I look at him, its a bit scary :/