Labrinth: How Nintendo influenced my music

"I cried when my Mum switched off Super Mario"

Pop star Labrinth has revealed how the sounds of Super Nintendo have influenced his music.

Labrinth, whose debut album Electronic Earth is out this week, is a big Nintendo fan and has even admitted that he cried when his Mum pulled the plug as he reached the Star World in Super Mario World. We don't blame him...

Speaking with The Guardian about his musical influences, Labrinth said: "I did want it to have a bit of a bedroom energy and also while doing that I wanted to have some of my own character in terms of using Super Nintendo sounds. If somebody heard my beat it would be like walking into my room and seeing all the posters of my wall - you would see a bit of Mario Kart, then you would see Bob Marley on the wall, you would see a Dubstep producer. It's just like a collage of what my life was like at the time."

Yet it wasn't just Mario Kart that Labrinth was busy playing in his youth. He was also a Street Fighter fan and he has a horror story to tell about reaching the bonus level in Super Mario World.

"I love it [computer games]. I grew up on it. I remember when we used to be playing Mario and Street Fighter and my Mum would be shouting "come and wash the dishes, come and wash the dishes" and we just wouldn't be listening. We'd be in Star World on Super Mario and she'd just come in the room and just press the power on the console. I don't know how you could cry over those things but at the time I did."

We feel your pain Labrinth. Seeing as he's such a big Nintendo fan, perhaps he should be the next pop star Nintendo use to promote their games after One Direction.

Comments

1. CyberGW Tuesday 3rd Apr 2012 at 15:11

Now, you don't see COD inspiring things like this do you?

2. Dertdood Tuesday 3rd Apr 2012 at 15:21

Now, you don't see COD inspiring things like this do you?

but this is terrible music so why would anyone want to inspire it

3. RubbishGamer Tuesday 3rd Apr 2012 at 17:04

Begone troll, better than most music today (Rihanna, Bieber etc.)

4. Dark nemisis Tuesday 3rd Apr 2012 at 17:40

This doesn't surprise me at all. I think much Nintendo music is overlooked and taken for granted. I must admit playing Nintendo games are the only games that you really feel a professional score has been written or it. Even when it was only 8-bit beeps. I can't think of any other game that have had such great music

5. onmsam Tuesday 3rd Apr 2012 at 18:05

he is now cool

6. shadowlugia101 Tuesday 3rd Apr 2012 at 18:33

i have much more love for labyrinth than i ever did before

7. Dertdood Wednesday 4th Apr 2012 at 08:48

Begone troll, better than most music today (Rihanna, Bieber etc.)

no he isn't he's as bad as both of them

8. starvigilante Wednesday 4th Apr 2012 at 11:22

I may not like his music, but more credible 'mainstream' artists speaking out in favour of Nintendo can only boost their image. Not that, after the year they are having, it needs it. ;)

9. Callumisepic2501 Wednesday 4th Apr 2012 at 18:11

dertdood or whatever your user is stop trolling the forums, you are clogging them, so knock it off!

10. PureAwesomeness Wednesday 4th Apr 2012 at 21:08

Wonderful :roll:

11. benjymc Saturday 7th Apr 2012 at 17:22

if he was so inspired by nintendo, I think he could make some theme tunes for some future games like some sort of power ballad for an adventure game