Wii U wish list: 8. Wii Sports

Seven things we'd want from a Wii U Sports game

Wii Sports not only showed what the Wii could do but it also got families playing on the console together. Years later Wii Sports Resort did the same for the new MotionPlus accessory so it would make sense of Nintendo released Wii U Sports to showcase their new console. After all, we have seen cool golf and baseball demos on the Wii U, two sports that were in the original Wii Sports.

So should Nintendo release Wii U Sports, here are some ideas...

1. Expand Wuhu Island

In both Wii Sports games, the games were set on the fictional resort of Wuhu Island. While in Wii Sports you only saw the various sporting venues, in Resort you could cycle and fly around the island. In the third entry, I'd like to explore more of the island.

Sure, keep the quick access menus for those after a speedy sporting fix, but for the rest, use the island as a hub that your Mii can explore and access the sports by finding venues on the island. As you perform well in sports, you could visit shops in the Wuhu village to buy not only new clothes and items but other methods of transport to travel around the island on, from bikes to go-karts and planes. It would be a little like the system from Donkey Kong Country 3.

You could then explore to find secrets and collectibles. Perhaps you could also discover new islands. New sports such as cross country running, swimming, orienteering and diving could take advantage of this new theme of exploration with new underwater caverns or coral beds to explore.

Finally, I really enjoyed the flying sections in Wii Sports Resort but the time limit was too restrictive. Give players an unlimited time to explore and lots of secrets to find and this could be an addictive side quest. You could use the Wii U controller to spot the locations and you could also note down possible places to explore on the screen.

2. Online multiplayer

The Wii Sports games are great to play locally but they would be even better online. As you choose each game, you could go online to play against people all over the world and your scores would be ranked on a table. This would really emphasise Nintendo's commitment to online gaming with Wii U.

3. Bring back all the old sports

Though there were some sports that featured in the original and Resort, some, like Boxing, were missing. I'd like to see all the sports return in glorious HD with added features. The bowling score chart could appear on the Wii U controller, you could shout 'fore' into the mic on the golf game while maps of the golf courses could be displayed on the screen.

4. But bring us new sports!

There are lots of new sports that would be perfect for Wii U Sports. You could have fishing, with the Wii Remote acting as the rod and the controller on the floor showing the lake or river you're fishing in. If you've got tennis, why not squash and badminton? How about something more off the wall like rock climbing or abseiling? There could also be a cheerleading mini-game.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. thecoolmana777 Wednesday 11th Apr 2012 at 19:47

WOW i would LOVE a wii sports game like this! :P

2. SuperJumpPunch Wednesday 11th Apr 2012 at 20:19

Personally, I want to see sports like paintball and quad-biking, maybe even a clubhouse where you can play sports like snooker and darts. They should probably expand the hub to be like a whole city and Wuhu instead of just the island, because they keep reusing it and there's nothing really that we haven't explored already.
    It should definitely be online though. I remember getting a Wii when I was 10 and searched all over the internet to see if there was some way to play online with friends :D

Also, is it just me that thinks that Miis should be more lifelike?

3. benjymc Wednesday 11th Apr 2012 at 20:24

Also, is it just me that thinks that Miis should be more lifelike?

Yeah, quadbiking seems like a pretty good idea. motobike racing would be pretty sweet too.

4. Darmani Wednesday 11th Apr 2012 at 20:44

They sound like good ideas, maybe there should be an island like the one in pokemon battle revolution but instead of doing battles you could do online sports competions with your friends. I would also like to ride a panda round wuhu or maybe have dog sledding with your own dogs from wii fit.

5. CDS Wednesday 11th Apr 2012 at 20:47

Have you been spying on the Wii/ Wii U forum lately ONM?
    Most of these ideas seem ported from my idea to upgrade the Mii Plaza into a fully functioning social and online gaming hub.
    Mii Paradise its called.

However, I must say, the photography part is a good idea even if it is a bit tricky to implement.

6. dframe Wednesday 11th Apr 2012 at 20:54

The funny thing is that is was off the wall on a climbing wall, you would fall :lol:

7. MikeIt0rNot69 Wednesday 11th Apr 2012 at 20:57

dodge ball anyone. you could raise the controller as hands to block. and maybe use it for the scores

8. Drsayus123 Wednesday 11th Apr 2012 at 21:02

I think it should be set on a whole new island to celebrate the launch of the Wii U. I like Wuhu Island but I think a change of scenery would make this game more unique.

9. EpicMario Thursday 12th Apr 2012 at 06:36

It would be pretty cool to see a game that uses the wii remote and the wii u tablet screen. Also i like the idea of combining wii sports wii fit and pilotwings together, as i think it would make a great game!

10. chun-liisgr8init Thursday 12th Apr 2012 at 08:19

Sorry to go against the flow guys and girls, I dont ever want to see wuhu island ever again or wii sports for that matter. I'm really impressed with the 3ds now its building up some momentum, we have paper mario, luigis mansion and numerous other quality games coming out. Unless nintendo really wow me with new IPs I wont be getting a wii u for at least a year after its release, the 3ds release has taught me a lesson, to wait and see! :?

11. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 12th Apr 2012 at 11:55

Wow. For the first time I actually agree fully with Phillip Lickley.
    I would for a game just like this to be made, especially the more exprorable Wuhu Island. In fact it could be expanded to include other non-sporting games/activities (like Namco's Go Vacation), lose the "Wii Sports" moniker and just call it "Wuhu Island".
    I'd buy it.

12. CDS Thursday 12th Apr 2012 at 14:07

^^

Or Mii Paradise.

13. Darklord101 Thursday 12th Apr 2012 at 14:10

Wii sports online multiplayer please nintendo. It would be a great way to kick-start nintendo network on the wii u.

14. Stanleyyork11 Thursday 12th Apr 2012 at 14:48

This would be amazing!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

15. dustyRobbins1 Thursday 12th Apr 2012 at 15:18

I think a Streetpass Quest/Wii Fit crossover would be great, maybe as one of the side options on whatever release of this type Nintendo produces.
    An RPG style game with a turn-based battle system like SQ, and you run between the actual battles in the same way you did in Wii Fit. During battle sections your movement could be controlled by the control stick., and you would fight with the Miis you met online, both encouraging the use of online gaming on the Nintendo Network and pacing the game as it has done with the 3DS. And instead of 'meeting' travellers with Play Coins anyone you met in the main game and had a conversation with could be enlisted as well. :D Just my thoughts...

16. Starman64O Thursday 12th Apr 2012 at 15:27

A new Weehyu Island? Or another neigbouring island. I know this won't happen, but it could be an open world game with the games held in differnet locations? Think about it, you could fly sail or sky dive froom island to island, go to an event or tournament, then pay outrageous prices for maps to find the triforce pieces... or not

17. blackdog1979 Thursday 12th Apr 2012 at 18:57

A Wii- U Sports game does sound cool, but....

Didn't "Sports Island" allow you to freely wander around looking for secrets etc?

Also, I don't want to sound stubborn, but I don't feel like shouting "four" into a Wii-U controller while playing golf, I'd feel like a bit of a nutcase.....

Just sayin'...... :|

18. spacemen13 Tuesday 17th Apr 2012 at 14:19

I would love more sword fighting games like in Wii sport resort! I can't wait to pull out my Wii remote and slash countless Miis of friends and family.

19. inubmiuhgmn Monday 2nd Jul 2012 at 16:40

1. Football or Soccer if your American
    Do it like basketball but like to shoot you jab the remote forward :D
    2.Volleyball
    Make it like you can choose from Beach Volleyball or Indoor Volleyball
    3.Cricket
    Do it like baseball
    4.Online Tournement
    e.g- Tennis Doubles, Cycling, Table Tennis, Olympics where you compete in 6 sports against other people
    5.Running
    Use remote and nunchuk
    6.Triathlon
    Running, kayaking then cycling
    7.Swimming
    Like running
    8.Other Martial Art

20. JudaszPhantom Friday 28th Jun 2013 at 23:30

Everyone! spread this idea out on Miiverse & Ninendo will do it! Check out my posts on Miiverse Wii U Users! my username is JasonPhantom I also have a drawing contest going on! also a few ideas like being ble to use every nintendo controller with it,moving around on foot & interact with each other,online play & more!

OMG Just like with Wii Party like Nintendo City & Board Game Island & We can Skydive down or have airport areas!

Nintendo will listen to your opinions/ideas mostly on Miiverse in the E3 Community guys,post it & round up supporters! I've been dying for a good chance for Mii Paradise~ Nintendo Land was good for a while,but now it's stale :/ Common Nintnedo Make it happen!