Mario Kart 7 patch coming "mid-may"

Expected fix to the notorious Wuhu Mountain glitch incoming

Nintendo is to patch Mario Kart 7 through an eShop update next month after online players kept exploiting a glitch on the Wuhu Mountain Loop track.

Nintendo is expected to fix the shortcut and make a couple of other tweaks to the game in the update, which Nintendo of Europe bossman Satoru Shibata confirmed for "Mid-May" in today's Nintendo Direct briefing.

It was an eventful briefing - we got release dates for Kingdom Hearts, Beat The Beat: Rhythm Paradise, Heroes Of Ruin and, of course, we saw our first glimpse of New Super Mario Bros 2. We also got a peek at two new Pokemon games and a couple of Animal Crossing screens.

Comments

1. DingoDee Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 12:16

Brilliant news, I haven't played online since I heard about this glitch and how many people were abusing it. Once it's hopefully patched, I will definitely be playing online again :)

2. stealth1497 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 12:18

Finally :D

3. NintyHippo Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 12:26

Yay! :D

Does this mean we can get DLC? :D

4. Buffalo_K Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 12:27

I hope those tweaks to the game will fix THE LOUSY COMMUNICATION ERRORS WHICH COMPLETELY RUINED THE GAME FOR ME :evil:

5. MarioWalrus Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 12:38

This is good, it means that no one can beat your time trail time if you have used the shortcut

6. Wiimote Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 12:40

YAY FINALLY!!! This will stop the cheaters/glitchers im well happy about this :D haha to the cheaters/glitchers.

7. Icytroid1993 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 13:01

This was one of the best announcements of that Nintendo Direct by far!!! The game will be so much better without that glitch :D I'm ashamed to admit that i use the glitch in races only because everyone else does :( I also used it for my time trail time only because that was the only chance of getting one of the best times. I never vote for the course though, because i really do hate it! This is an incredible announcement :)

8. Darklord101 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 13:17

It's a shame they're getting rid of this; it was all part of the fun. These 'other' updates do intrigue me though.

9. NintyHippo Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 13:19

Me too.

10. ThePokekid78 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 13:29

NNOOOO I love glitches!!!! They're so fun!
    ...Or I could just not get the patch?

11. Choccie Milk Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 13:36

This is brilliant because the shortcut ruined what could be a very enjoyable course and made it unenjoyable.

12. Baker1000 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 13:46

The best news to come out of this. I've never used the glitch (or the Island Loop one) and was never going to. I didn't even test it out in time trials. I always tried to stop people using it by placing bananas or flinging shells at the suckers who slow down ready to use the glitch. Unfortunately this has come a few months late as I stopped playing it online regularly in February, but it will mean future players won't have to suffer.

I bet all the Mountain Loop Spammers who choose nothing but that track, and always use the glitch and can't win unless they do are now outraged because it means they have to race properly. I would love to see them take the glitch for the first time only to get put back in the right place, and also see them struggle with a part of the track they probably forgot how to race on.

13. thenintendoer Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 14:13

this is certainly a step in the right direction for nintendo more of these plz

14. jaiv Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 14:29

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

15. oh dae su Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 14:33

NNOOOO I love glitches!!!! They're so fun!
    ...Or I could just not get the patch?

But if you want to play online you have to get the patch.

16. me4ndubz Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 14:36

NNOOOO I love glitches!!!! They're so fun!
    ...Or I could just not get the patch?

If you dont update it then you wont be able to play online at all. (from what shibata said)

17. radabie86 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 14:45

Yay finally!! to the shortcut/glitch being fix and hopefully this means there will be DLC added so we can finally be the characters we all thought should of been in the game in the first place im hoping for more of the Kong clan and how about Professor E Gadd to make an appearence. Come on Nintendo you know it makes sence!

18. TwilightLink77 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 14:46

I have used that glitch only once to get a good time trial time.

Just off the subject of Mario Kart 7, I have managed to beat World 7-1 on Super Mario 3D Land in just 6 seconds. lol

Back on to the subject, I am curious to what Nintendo mean by "and make a couple of other tweaks to the game"

19. dosh575 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 14:57

Satoru Shibata: The Wuhu Mountain Loop glitch will be patched up in mid-May
    Noobs, average guys, and people who play by the rules: Yay!!!!!
    Pros: Now I know some random rubbish player can't beat me!
    Players who vote Wuhu Mountain Loop every time: SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

20. cheatmaster30 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 15:46

Hopefully they'll think this out carefully, I already found a few reasons this patch could be a problem:

http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintendo3ds ... ew-issues/

I also hope they fix more than just Mountain Loop, since Wuhu Island Loop's glitch gets abused a lot online, and Bowser Castle 1 has a glitch which could break online about as badly.

21. Icytroid1993 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 16:13

Many people experience connection problems so maybe they'll do something about that.

22. imbusydoctorwho Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 16:34

Nintendo must've had some harsh feedback over this,quite surprise they're doing something about it

23. wilp94 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 16:48

Awesome :D

24. CDS Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 18:41

Why is it that NINTENDO seem to be saying things they don't mean now?
    Achievements for example, were to never be included on a NINTENDO console. Then the WIIU comes along, and surprise, surprise, an achievement system is confirmed for it.
    New IP being made, no news as of yet.
    MARIO KART 7 patch non-existent. Now it is.

See a trend?

25. starvigilante Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 18:49

I am very happy this has happened. Was sick of the cheaters. :/

26. mattym727 Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 19:12

Same!I never played one full online game with MK7! My other online games Kid Icarus and SSF4 work perfectly!Ruined a brilliant game for me :oops: :evil:

27. CraigEmberson Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 20:22

Really? I don't heart many others complaining, it's your internet connection... Take it up with whoever pays the bill and chose the wireless router you use. Blaming the console or the game is pointless, seriously... It's definitely your connection.

28. CraigEmberson Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 20:24

What I find amusing is how all of you are so happy about the glitch being fixed, yet I bet at least half of you have used it yourself... Usually, its funny how people don't like others doing things that hold them back, yet it's okay for you to do it lol - It is pretty ironic and funny.

29. NintyHippo Saturday 21st Apr 2012 at 20:30

We only use it because everyone else uses it and if we didn't use it we would come last by far. We're all glad that we can race properly on the Wuhu Mountain Loop track again.

I hardly ever get communication errors. I have played over 105 hours on Mario Kart 7 and only about 5-10 of those have been single-player.

30. Ben707 Sunday 22nd Apr 2012 at 08:44

The patch has come far to late, I stopped playing ages ago.

31. Greenspark Sunday 22nd Apr 2012 at 10:13

The patch has come far to late, I stopped playing ages ago.

I'm not sure about you but as soon as we get this patch I'm going
    to go back and start playing it again :D

32. NintyHippo Sunday 22nd Apr 2012 at 12:33

The patch has come far to late, I stopped playing ages ago.

I'm not sure about you but as soon as we get this patch I'm going
    to go back and start playing it again :D

I already have went back to it.

33. mattym727 Sunday 22nd Apr 2012 at 13:05

How come then youtube video's have been made about this connection problem?And all my other games are lag-free for both Wii and 3DS like Kid Icarus and SSF4 on 3ds and Goldeneye 007 and Mario Kart Wii on Wii?Not trying to be rude but my connection seems fine in all other games and consoles and my laptop,so I really dont think its me. :|

34. Darkblizz Sunday 22nd Apr 2012 at 13:18

To be fair, I've only used the glitch because everyone else does and it's the only way to get a decent place when racing a load of cheaters.

35. Redfish20 Sunday 22nd Apr 2012 at 13:47

it's nice to see Ninty starting to make games not only in the way people from the 80's thought they would be in the 21st century but also in the way they are in the 21st century. Patches, DLC, Folders for the home menu, we're living in the future (recent past) man!

36. ledreppe Sunday 22nd Apr 2012 at 14:20

How does it work if someone doesn't install the patch and someone does and they both race online. Would this cause some kind of error?! :?

37. 09pitchers Sunday 22nd Apr 2012 at 15:14

You may want to shun me, but i used that glitch loads because it's hilarious :lol: . I'm not happy nintendo. :|

38. CDS Sunday 22nd Apr 2012 at 17:10

You can't race online if you don't have the patch. Simple as.
    I bet the servers for MK7 will be updated to only recognize the new patch, so you have to update if you want to play online.

39. Xenoblade Hero Monday 23rd Apr 2012 at 08:27

The patch has come far to late, I stopped playing ages ago.

Ditto

40. TheRexFactor Monday 23rd Apr 2012 at 09:33

Was pretty surprised, but pleased, to hear this news.

MK7 got unplayable online for me because people would incessantly pick Wuhu Mountain so they could do the glitch to gain artificial "wins".

This is a great step forward for Nintendo. Maybe down the line they could even release DLC tracks/characters to extend the life of the game. I'd certainly be interested in such

41. KairiZero Monday 23rd Apr 2012 at 11:13

I didn't even realise there was a glitch! I haven't played online that much though =)

42. DudeElLoco Monday 23rd Apr 2012 at 13:03

Well it's about time!

In all honesty it's not that much of a short cut. I find that when I play online & i'm in first by time I get to the Castle at the top of the mountain I then realise I have lost posistions & when I notice the first finish I am usually only 10 secs behind. I know 10 secs is a long time in a racing game but still it needed fixing.

43. Icytroid1993 Monday 23rd Apr 2012 at 14:03

The patch has come far to late, I stopped playing ages ago.

The game has only been out for just over 4 months.

44. Tailzy Monday 23rd Apr 2012 at 14:25

Good news. I'm surprised Nintendo were actually willing to fix it.

Shame there's nothing more to this though. I was hoping for some dlc along with it.

45. Pyron12 Monday 23rd Apr 2012 at 15:30

Hurrah! Finally those noobs can stop exploiting it and face ownage on Mountain Loop!!!

46. Spyro Cool Monday 23rd Apr 2012 at 15:46

Ooh! I hope we can choose a course offline, instead of doing a cup or time trial. I wanna race, but my connection is terrible for some reason. I hope they do this!

EDIT: Oh, the connection errors are for everyone too? Oh. Good. Well, not good, but t least it isn't JUST me.

47. Chaosvengeance Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 20:38

I hope that when they introduce the patch, that they remove all the current wuhu mountain loop time trial times so that everyone can start from scratch.