New Super Mario Bros 2: What we want to see

10 ideas for the new Super Mario Bros 3DS game

When Satoru Iwata announced that a new Super Mario Bros game would be coming to 3DS back in January, no one took his words literally. Indeed, earlier this month fans were speculating that the game would be called Super Mario 4. Perhaps that's why we were all surprised last weekend to learn that Nintendo will release New Super Mario Bros 2 in August. Nintendo usually save this sort of massive announcement for E3.

Now we've all had time to take it all in, we can start thinking about what features will be in the game. Other than the name and the fact that it will star Raccoon Mario, we don't know much about it so we can only dream about what we'd like to see.

A while ago I wrote a piece on what I'd like to see in a new Mario Wii U game and, though a lot of my ideas would be brilliant in New Super Mario Bros 2 (Super Mario World-inspired map, use of both screens and flying), what else would be great in the platforming sequel?

1. Fresh power-ups

The Mario Galaxy games haven't shied away from including new and interesting power ups, such as Bee Mario, Cloud Mario and the Rock Suit, but the 2D suits have been distinctly retro. Though the inclusion of the proper Raccoon Suit complete with power meter is welcome, Nintendo need to throw something new into the mix so that it doesn't seem too much like just an ode to the classic trilogy. How about a cheetah suit that would allow Mario to sprint, Sonic-style, through levels? Or a suit that makes him immune to fire or lava? Wearing this could lead players to a special secret level or room in a lava level.

Having said that, I'm sure players would also appreciate the return of the Mega Mushroom so that they may see a Godzilla-sized Mario destroying blocks in glasses-free 3D with rubble flying at the screen.

2. Bring back the warp whistles

With the Raccoon power-up and the theatre-style blocks visible in one screenshot, New Super Mario Bros 2 is clearly paying tribute to Super Mario Bros 3 (skipping past the under-rated Super Mario Bros 2 as a source of inspiration, sadly). In that case, will we see the return of the warp whistles for skipping worlds or heading to secret ones? Having a completely hidden world only accessible by searching high and low for the whistles would be an interesting side quest with a good reward at the end.

3. Different styles of worlds

There is a lot of talk on the ONM forum about mixing up the style of worlds a little. The typical Mushroom Kingdom level, an ice-stage and forest area are all present and correct in the screenshots but what about something different? The factory levels of Donkey Kong Country were always fun to play and robotic-style versions of Bowser's henchmen would be an interesting take on the usual formula, and the world could well end with a Yoshi's Safari style robotic villain.

Thanks to the Galaxy games, this wouldn't be unfamiliar ground for Mario but the plumber could end up back in space as also seen in Super Mario Land 2. Indeed, that 2D NES classic could also be an inspiration for other styles that, though used before, haven't been around for a while. Like a toy-themed section, for example.

Previous 1 2 3 Next page

Comments

1. ProtoKun Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 16:36

I only ask for one thing, which is new world designs.

I don't want to see all the same worlds as we did with both previous New Mario games…

2. skyluigi Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 16:39

Continuing on from playable characters, how about Mario and Luigi, Wario and Waluigi?
    It'd be nice to see different storylines; Mario and Luigi are trying to save Peach, whilst Wario and Waluigi are trying to steal Bowser's coins.

3. koopa_kicker Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 16:53

I would love a 2D platformer mario game that had more post-game (beating Bowser), possibly involving more characters to choose from (maybe even peach as she is freed) in more besides punishing Bowser repeatedly.

4. linkfinity Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 16:59

what if it played like the virtual boy mario game, with different planes to explore (kinda like when you go into the background in super paper mario), and the difficulty needs to be a lot harder (or widely adjustable) as mario games these days are far too easy for me to enjoy as much as i used to.

5. NintyHippo Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 17:41

This is a very good list! I agree with it!

6. thenintendoer Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 17:51

hopefully this game will be more innovative as i found the wii game too similar to its ds predecessor

7. spacemen13 Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 18:31

There is only one thing I want in super mario bros 2, more yoshi! Everyone loved yoshi, right?

8. Callumisepic2501 Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 18:45

retro throwbacks are so annoying for a 13 year old, in the onm's they say things like "this is a great throwback to _____ that will bring a nostalgic tear to an older gamers eye" what if you are not an "older gamer" what if you never played the game that the nod is to? if any nintendo reps are reading GET RID OF ALL OF THE "THROWBACKS" this is just lazyness 'cause they cant be bothered thinking of new levels/mechanics and when your playing a game that is designed to be a 3d (not 3ds style 3d) and the plane snaps to 2d is so annoying as im sure many annoyed younger gamers will agree, If you want to re-live your childhood memories just play the game again so nintendo will stop ruining our games

9. NintyHippo Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 18:50

If you're a younger gamer then all the throwbacks will be new to you.

10. TOMB Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 19:30

I want the final few worlds to be DIFFICULT!

11. Fidu Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 19:31

I'm sorry, but your point of view is incredibly self-centered. Nintendo makes games that can appeal to everyone. That includes older gamers. Throwing in a nod to the older games does not "ruin" it as you'd like to call it. So what if you don't get the reference? It's then just something new and exciting for you. Besides, Virtual Console exists so that you can get these references if you aren't old enough to have memories of them.

12. CaptainSnivy Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 19:39

I wasn't surprised that Nintendo would announce a new New Super Mario Bros. game - I was expecting it all along. Anyway, I'd like more power-ups, more worlds, more bosses, more enemies, and a more difficult game than SM3DL. I want it to be as difficult as NSMBW, but maybe not as difficult as the four original Mario games.

@Callumisepic2501 - I'm 14, and I disagree with all of that. Just because you're 13 doesn't mean that you can't play or enjoy classic games. As I said, I'm 14, but at least I bother to go back and play classic Nintendo games before my time like any younger Nintendo fans should do. Plus, a lot of people love those references, so it's selfish for you to say that Nintendo shouldn't do them.

13. starvigilante Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 20:07

Thank you, you said everything I wanted to say, in far less angry wording. :)

14. NeonJ Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 21:05

Level editor, for sure. Perhaps expand it to a complete world editor? :3

Bleh, I want SMBX back;

15. cheatmaster30 Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 21:24

I agree with all the things listed in the article. Indeed, didn't even consider the idea of 3D boss battles, so nice idea!

16. morg199911 Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 21:31

a power up were mario would gain the spiky blue shell from mario kart, and go dashing towards enemies,killing them in one hit. only for a short while obviously.

17. 99oli99 Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 21:41

what I want to see is luigi being able to be chosen at the start. so you can choose to be either mario or luigi for different parts of the game.

18. benandarchie Wednesday 25th Apr 2012 at 22:05

I dont want to see all of these. I don't think nintendo should make 3D change the game and make the game so it will look good in 3D like many other 3DS games. I think they shouldnt use 3D at all. They definetely should have minigames like onthe DS but not with online play just local. They should have complete new level designs and a few new power-ups but not many as that just gets stupid. And thats it. New super mario bros on the DS was my first game that I actually really really loved (because the DS lite was my first console, im only 13) and even today, a whole gaming generation later it is still my favourite game and to be honest, always will be (along with super mario 64 DS) and thats why I am so exited for this game. I want the same enjoyment out of it, the many hours spent playing mario vs. luigi again and again until I mastered it (which i have now, seriously) playing endless hours on mingames in local play, the frustrations of losing, the joys of winning. The exitement off reaching a new world. The exitement of finally reaching the final boss. And the feeling when I won!! that was amazing.
    If super mario bros. 2 can deliver all of that again and may be even better I will love this game and it will join all the other handheld marios in my top 5 games ever.

19. taximadish Thursday 26th Apr 2012 at 05:53

I'd love to see a "Futuristic" level, perhaps in Koopa City/Neo Bowser City from Mario Kart 7.

Neon lights and jumping over rooftops anyone?

20. reeesy Thursday 26th Apr 2012 at 08:25

Some great ideas in this article. Really looking forward to this.

21. shadow.x Thursday 26th Apr 2012 at 10:12

I agree with all ten! If they do that!? ... Wow

22. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 26th Apr 2012 at 10:29

I just want to clear some things up first. You say that Nintendo are "skipping past the under-rated Super Mario Bros 2 as a source of inspiration, sadly". Really, there have been lots of references to SMB2 in the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong series, right down to standing on enemies and picking up and throwing them.
    Also you reference Super Mario Land 2 as "that 2D NES classic", when we all know that its a Game Boy title.

Back on track, here's what I think of the 10 suggestions:

1. Fresh power-ups: Naturally. We'd all like to see more powers.
    2. Bring back the warp whistles - I'd actually rather have the multiple secret exits and a Star Road as a means to get to shortcuts or a secret world.
    3. Different styles of worlds - Sure, it'd be nicer to visit some more uncommon troupes
    4. Different playable characters - I'd like to see this too. Peach and Toad need to see some more action, and with Peach playable it'd mean that she wasn't kidnapped this time, which would be nice for her for a change.
    5. Changing levels - This would be a very welcomed addition. I love the Switch Palaces in Super Mario World, and the idea of the water level changing and the like would make it like the way a level sometimes changes in latter missions in some worlds of Super Mario 64.
    6. Enemies in 3D - No thanks. Sounds a bit too gimmiky.
    7. Additional mini-games - I could take it or leave it. If there are mini-games I'd prefer them to be available on the World map.
    8. Bring back Star Coins but make them more rewarding - I'd rather they did away with them altogether. Either that or make it more like the Galaxy games where there's only one, but really well hidden.
    9. 3D levels and boss battles - I like the idea of jumping between the foreground and background. Combined with boss battles which require you to switch planes it could make for some interesting fights.
    10. Super Mario level creator - If they included it, I wouldn't use it.

One idea I'd like to add to the mix is a hard mode unlocked after completing the main game in which there are more, tougher enemies, but you get to play it as Wario and Waluigi in a mode which should be titled "New Super Wario Bros."!

23. Adam_Lloyd Thursday 26th Apr 2012 at 10:31

You know what I'd love? A mario game that had the same beautiful, hand-drawn sprites of Warioland: The Shake Dimension and Rayman Origins. Something genuinely good looking rather than plastic models in spectacular 2.5D :P It would be nice to see Nintendo take a slight risk here and there, so far this whole game smacks of playing it safe

24. metalgario Thursday 26th Apr 2012 at 12:00

Everyone seems to of missed Kuribo's shoe from their lists! I think this will definatley make a return this time.

Maybe the levels could be a little like Sonic Generations, where we get 3D and 2D parts to the level as the camera swings back and forth.

I'd just be happy with a enjoyable game with a few cameo enemies, a nod to the Super Mario Land games and a revised map like in Super Mario Word, Galaxy 2 and SMB3DL weren't that great imo.

25. MasterBrawler91 Thursday 26th Apr 2012 at 16:41

I hope that we can get a game where, like Kid Icarus, It has replay value because when I first played the game I wizzed through it on the DS and Wii so I reckon there should be some sort of option to have a different difficulty maybe even online coin battles!!!

26. Mmmyeah Thursday 26th Apr 2012 at 18:48

Super Mario Land 2 is a game boy game, not an NES one. You may mean that it is from the NES era, but it was released after the SNES. Sorry to be so pedantic, but I love that game!

Anyway, I like the sound of there being more mini games. It would be nice to show some clever ways of using the 3DS hardware, like the demos in Super Mario 64 DS and New Super Mario Bros.. I also want to see more new themes, seeing the same again would be a bit dull.

27. Darkxaur Thursday 26th Apr 2012 at 22:58

I say this of every Mario game: CHANGE THE PLOT! Could we have a premise that doesn't involve kidnapped princesses and collecting 128 McGuffins? We've all moved on from the 1920's, so should Nintendo.

28. EpicMario Saturday 28th Apr 2012 at 16:24

I would love the 7 koopalings to make an appearance as they are awesome in Super Mario advance 2: Super Mario world. I would also like to see Wario make an appearance but not Waluigi as I find him annoying. One of the suits i would like to see is the frog suit as it is awesome :!:

As well as that I would like to see secret levels found by using warp pipes like in Super Mario bro's on the SNES :oops:

Also I would like to see an older Mario game that you unlock after completing the main game :roll:

Also an extra 8 worlds could be unlocked after completing the game :mrgreen:

29. alexkinch Sunday 29th Apr 2012 at 20:42

ok... how about wario as a hidden unlockable, return of the koopa kids from mario bros 3, world and mario bros wii, no giving us power ups if we die 5 times and a streetpass where u can exchange powerups and coins.

30. mariolord640 Sunday 10th Jun 2012 at 16:25

I think the levels should be harder, there should be more levels, harder - to - get star coins, should be a world S like in galaxy 2, or world 9 like in NSMBW. Also, there should be some new bosses introduced, and like a few people have said minigames as well. It would be great if there was a level creator, but the chances of that are pretty small. Hopefully there will be the return of the Mega Mushroom because i enjoyed smashing up enemies as a giant. We need new minigames, a space world (NOT A SECRET ONE) and more than two characters. I've probably repeated a lot of people, but this is what i need for a unique mario platformer.

31. mariolord640 Sunday 10th Jun 2012 at 16:26

Get Ready For More Mario Awesomeness!!!