Wii U release date and price won't be announced at E3 2012

You'll have to wait a bit longer to find out

When will Wii U be released and how much will it cost? These are the questions on every Nintendo fan's lips at the moment. However, don't expect to discover the exact release date and price until after early June as Nintendo has said that it won't be making any such announcements at E3 2012.

"We will showcase the final format, and discuss the details and the software line-up for this year at E3 2012, which will be held in Los Angeles in the United States in June this year," President Satoru Iwata told investors.

"Also, in the week after the E3 show, we would like to organise an opportunity where we can showcase the same to the Japanese wholesalers and financial analysts who cannot attend the E3 show. The people in our appropriate sections will let you know as soon as we have settled on further details.

"Please also be advised that, as we did for previous platforms that were launched in the year-end sales season, we will announce the launch date and price in each market sometime after E3."

Well, we shouldn't expect Nintendo to announce the Wii U price for the UK at all as Nintendo Europe always allow retailers to decide the price of their hardware.

Loading video...

As for the Wii U release date, Nintendo released this statement during their recent financial results briefing: "Nintendo will release the Wii U, the successor of the Wii mainly in Japan, the United States and Europe at the end of the calendar year."

So while we know that Wii U will be released at the end of the year, an exact date won't be revealed until after June 7th.

However, Nintendo did announce one new bit of information about Wii U. Nintendo plan to make their Wii U games available to download on the same day as they are released in the stores.

Comments

1. shy guy 64 Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 09:37

fair enough

2. retroali Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 09:40

that kinda sucks cause sony showed its price for vita at E3 why cant they that way i know how much nintendo get from me but if they tell us like a few months before launch im ok with it

3. Skywardwolf23 Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 09:48

That feels really unfair because everyones expecting an anouncment and nintendo reply with nothing :(

4. MartinIsAwesome Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 10:46

I can't help but think that if Nintendo will be at a stage where they can unveil the final format of Wii U, then why can't they reveal the price at the very least. Right now I'm much more interested the reason why they're persisting to withhold these details, than the actual dates and prices themselves.

5. imbusydoctorwho Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 11:55

Tis no surprise.

6. L_A Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 13:28

Because Nintendo wants journalists and players to focus on what's really important: the games! :)

7. EighteenSky Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 13:47

I'd happily play 300+ if the games are good. Oh and it needs to be region free. Make amends for your 3DS screw up.

8. shadow.x Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 13:50

It will probably be priced at around 250 which I think sounds decent!

9. NintyHippo Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 14:46

Ok.

10. danbish Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 16:08

And there was me hoping for some juicy details! :D

Nintendo Europe always allow retailers to decide the price of their hardware.

I get the feeling there's another price rip off coming...

11. 3ds234 Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 17:31

Im hoping they were kidding & they will say how much & the release date.

12. thenintendoer Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 18:07

hopefully not an outrageous price like for the 3ds though if nintendo have learned anything it shouldnt be too high

13. ninjafox Friday 27th Apr 2012 at 23:02

Not really that suprised as Nintendo held a seperate press conference to announce the price and launch date of the 3DS and Wii so i was expecting them to do a similar thing with the WiiU. Whilst it would have been nice to finally find the launch date and how much it will cost at E3 at least Nintendo are telling us we won't find out now instead of not saying anything and people go into E3 expecting to find this information out.
    Despite this i still can't wait for E3 to find out what games will be arriving on WiiU! :)

14. CraigEmberson Saturday 28th Apr 2012 at 10:53

You can't judge one company by another company... E3 doesn't have guidelines to say they must reveal a release date and price, the companies decide what to show. We'll know the price at some point anyway, calm down.

15. Mmmyeah Saturday 28th Apr 2012 at 14:33

Nothing? I really doubt that Nintendo will announce nothing at E3, just because they are not announcing the price. Their already going to show off the final iteration of the console, multiple games for it and I expect they have a lot more in store for us than that. I think that's enough information for E3, the price can come later.

I am really looking forward to E3 this year, although I look forward to it every year! But this is undeniably a big one. The Wii U will finally be shown in it's final design! And Pikmin 3 will finally be seen! I didn't think E3 2011 was as well handled by Nintendo as E3 2010 was, the 3DS announcement was incredible. Remember that huge list of games? Having said that, a lot of those haven't been mentioned since. Anyway, the Wii U announcement didn't focus on software as much, and was a bit confusing for some. I'm looking forward to seeing Nintendo remedy this with lots of great games. I just hope they don't put too much emphasis on some of the more generic PS360 series' that are coming to Wii U. Those games are important for the success of Wii U, sure, but I just don't understand this whole idea of trying to make games like films. I don't care about graphics and cutscenes, I wan't compelling gameplay.

16. doom crow Saturday 28th Apr 2012 at 19:08

awww I wanna know how much to set aside...

17. doom crow Saturday 28th Apr 2012 at 19:18

sounds good

18. Originalhassle Saturday 28th Apr 2012 at 21:42

Well I'm not too bothered about the price as it'll be somewhere in the region of 200-300 probably. I also think that because of this they've pretty much given the release date as "for christmas" (around late november, early december). Now it's just the waiting.

19. Tams Sunday 29th Apr 2012 at 05:14

It doesn't really matter if they don't announce the price at E3. The Wii U won't get to you any faster. I'm setting aside 300 though as I think that should be enough.

20. callum2003 Sunday 29th Apr 2012 at 08:46

300? You guys set aside 300? your like multimillionares or something 300 pound is definitley enough jeezo that's a lot

21. ashtheman14 Sunday 29th Apr 2012 at 08:50

I think that's a sensible decision for them actually. After all, the 3DS was initially priced at 200 something, so who knows how much the WiiU will cost?

22. Xenobladeperson Sunday 29th Apr 2012 at 20:13

Hope it's around 200 - 250. But I wouldn't say no to something really cheap.

23. Manifos Saturday 2nd Jun 2012 at 17:50

I only find it fair if the cost is about 250 or a little more.

24. yellowds Sunday 3rd Jun 2012 at 14:17

Sure it's a shame that the price and release date won't be revealed, but with the hints that it will be out for the holiday season and that the UK market will decide how much it cost, we can safely assume that pre-orders will start coming out during August.
    Also, as long as there is a big enough variety of 'casual', 'hardcore' games on the launch line-up, initial sails shouldn't be too bad.