Warren Spector: I still think Epic Mickey is the best looking Wii game ever

Junction Point chief promises that everything will be better this time

Warren Spector has promised that Epic Mickey 2 will be an improvement on the original Epic Mickey adventure, a game the Junction Point Chief still believes is the best looking Wii game ever.

Indeed, Spector told Official Nintendo Magazine that he stands by everything he said about the first game: "As obnoxious as it sounds, I still think the first Mickey game was the best looking Wii game ever that anyone's ever made so sue me. I love the way the game looks. I'm not saying anyone else has to agree, it's just my opinion.

"I also think it sounds better than any Wii game ever [laughing] but you can always do better. We're going to. When people see the 2D levels, the 2D side-scrolling levels in the new game I think they're going to see that the team has taken those to a whole new level."

Loading video...

Spector believes that Junction Point will be free to concentrate on the gameplay after building the foundations in the first game. "We've already talked about camera and voice - of course we're going to do better this time around - we built a studio and team, a world, a code base, a game engine, we established our relationships with everyone at Nintendo and Disney with the first game.

"This time around we know what the world is, we knopw who the characters are, we know what the gameplay is. What are paint and thinner for? We didn't even know that when we started the first game. So I would hope that everything will be better this time around."

Do you think Epic Mickey 2 will be better than the original?

Comments

1. ledreppe Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 10:55

It's debateable whether the first one was the best looking Wii game ever, remember this is the guy who hyped up the first game to such a degree that it was putting people off getting it. I think (and hope) that the next epic Mickey game is an improvement over the first, especially the camera (it broke the first game). Yes, Epic Mickey had a unique kinda look to it but I wouldn't say it is the best looking Wii game.

2. Shinnos Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 10:56

My one wish for Epic Mickey 2? That Warren Spector would just learn to keep quiet! The first Epic Mickey game is absolutley not the best-looking Wii game. I enjoyed the graphic-style of the cut scenes, and the 2D levels based on old Disney cartoons were a nice touch, but the main game was just too dark and uninspiring.

3. shy guy 64 Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 10:58

well you're bound to think that of your own game

4. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 11:08

The original was a good looking game for Wii,but it wasn't the best.
    As much as I like Warren Spector he hypes his games too much,I know you'd want to brag about your new game,but he's getting near to being like High Voltage Software.

5. master sword Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 11:16

*sigh* Honestly it's stuff like this that makes me hate this guy, i understand you want to hype up your games but there's such a thing as crossing the line, all he seems to do is talk about how superior his games are, he seems so obnoxious.

And let's just say it WAS the best looking game on Wii.... rubbing it in like this won't be doing you any favours.
    Leave stuff like this to the fans to decide instead of forcing your opinions on them.

Harsh i know, but someone had to say it

6. Komodo_Wolfgang Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 11:46

Harsh i know, but someone had to say it

Lol, its funny because;

He already said it sounded obnoxious and hes not forcing his opinion on us. He's just telling us his opinion.

Im yet to get this game and Ive seen it at around Ł8 (nuff said). Best looking Wii game? has he played Xenoblade chronicles? that place is amazing. Mario Galasxy looks beautiful too. Dont even get me STARTED on Okami.

I dont think some little game that drops its price so easy could be said its the best looking game on the wii against such competetors. If it was so beautiful, why wasnt it put in for an award for it at the Golden Joysticks? (come to think of it...was it out then?)

7. Dwarph Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 11:57

pffft best looking game? nope ;D the 2d patforming parts were certainly beautiful, but the rest was meh :P id say skyward sword, twilight princess, smg 1/2 or xenoblade over epic mickey :P
    but I never realy played it for long wnough - the camera nnoyed me too much!

8. SteveSalmon999 Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 13:25

Epic mickey was good graphically, but was really dark in places so it was difficult to see what was going on ... and a section near the end where you had to remove the blot tentacles - that looked AWFUL (and was really dull to be fair)
    Mario Galaxy games and DKCR mop the floor with epic mickey, oh, and skyward sword!

9. NOM is NOM Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 15:58

Not this guy again! Jesus, it was a nice game. But I would have enjoyed it much more had I not seen all of his over-hyped quotes on the front page of ONM, as I played the game I just felt deflated. It was all right, but not as good as he made out. Surely he understands this is not good marketing?

10. Darkblizz Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 17:13

Best looking Wii game ever? No, that honour goes to the Mario Galaxies and/or Skyward Sword.

11. ARWING64 Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 19:26

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was better looking, as was Sonic Colours, DK Country Returns, Skyward Sword, Kirby's Epic Yarn. Super Smash Bros Brawl. Basically it was a good looking game but not the best we've seen

12. CraigEmberson Wednesday 2nd May 2012 at 01:09

To be honest, this guy loves himself and thinks he's some kind of amazing game director... He even talks like he's some smug 50's charismatic actor or presenter. To be honest, the Disney magic has mostly worn off, they're by no means as popular anymore. Either way, they've always been a cash cow company and been smug... It's even funny how Nick's viewing figures even beat Disney XD and The Disney Channel put together. The old characters were amazing and unique but now, it's even worse since Walt's son took over. It's no different for those who decide working with Disney is a good idea... Epic Mickey 1 wasn't that great and Disney Universe was terrible... Music isn't gonna make the 2nd one any better either. Also, huge mistake with the platforming for 3DS, way to revert people back to thinking its another DS. I'm not a visual wh*re, but pixel sprites are obsolete (unless it's a download game on eShop). You could easily have a 2D platformer, with 3D models and digitally painted textures - It would be so much better. Then have some 3D segments to mirror the Wii game having mainly 3D play and then 2D segments... Make them two parts of a whole, not two different things. It's time to update the Illusion games, not make them look the same or worse on a hugely powerful handheld.

13. CraigEmberson Wednesday 2nd May 2012 at 01:17

I agree with you... Even Skyward Sword looks fantastic in comparison to Epic Mickey, which literally looked like a movie set where everything looks seriously fake. The paint mechanics actually were terrible and I found myself very stressed out with it... On the one hand, you decide to play as good or evil - so you try not to strip too much but then you miss things or you strip it all away to find things and it tells you you're evil. The camera was awful and when you did strip everything away, it just looked so much worse than it already did. I don't care about realism or anything but this looked terrible, compared to what even the gamecube could do. The only thing that Epic Mickey used well was the lighting the Wii could handle, which is less than 3DS can render (yet they choose the 3DS to make an even worse game for).

14. PureAwesomeness Monday 7th May 2012 at 18:49

Totally agree. How is Epic Mickey the best looking game? It can't even compare to Xenoblade, let alone the breathtakingly gorgeous Super Mario Galaxy games- there's no point in even arguing. Yes, it is quite pretty, but in my opinion, it was far too...forced. It didn't seem natural and the Disney charm wasn't there to rescue it. Good looks aside, it didn't save it from being an extremely disappointing Wii game.

15. FirLocke Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 19:44

Nah, SMG2, Muramasa, Guilty Gear, Xenoblade Chronicles, Last Story, TvC, Donkey Kong Country Returns all look better, to me.

But I guess it's because I sort of ignore if the graphics are good or not because the game being a good game is much more important matter to me. So yeah, all of those games look a lot better thank Epic Mickey to me.