Wii U Wish List: 11. Pokemon

Seven ideas for a Pokemon Wii U game

Game Freak are currently focused on Pokemon Black and White 2 for DS but it would be a surprise if the company didn't release a big Pokemon game on Wii U. There have been Pokemon spin-off games on N64, GameCube and Wii and while they have been a mixed bag, there are exciting possibilities for a Pokemon Wii U game. Here are seven of them...

1. 3DS link-up

Back in the days of the GameCube, Pokemon utilised the GameCube/GBA link cable, enabling fans to transfer their Pokemon from Ruby and Sapphire to Pokemon Colosseum.

Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon Colosseum

Now, with wireless connections, it would be easier than ever to integrate the 3DS and Wii U games. Indeed, as we already know, the key to Smash Bros Wii U is the link with Smash Bros 3DS.

So, I'd call it Pokemon Wii Universe (here's hoping for royalties for this punning title!) and allow it to communicate with a Pokemon 3DS RPG that would be released at the same time.

You could use your 3DS to battle and catch Pokemon before transferring them over to the Wii U where they could be displayed in a gallery or used to do battles in an arena.

Perhaps, in the spirit of collecting, you could catch different Pokemon on the Wii U version, meaning that you would have to have buy both games or trade with friends to catch 'em all.

2. 3D Pokémon

Pokemon Stadium was the first game to make it possible to see your Pokemon in 3D. Now I'd like to see Game Freak do that again for all 649 Pokemon. Not just on the Wii U, mind, but on the 3DS also.

Meloetta - the 648th Pokemon
Meloetta - the 648th Pokemon
3. The Wii U controller as the Pokédex

As shown with the Pokedex 3D app, owning your own Pokedex is cool and the Wii U controller is perfect to show off the Pokemon and their stats, allowing you to move between menus and stats using the touch screen. Of course, when it's not being used as a Pokedex, it could be an overview of the map of the region, and it would also offer a simple way of selecting the Pokemon you want to use to fight and which moves to use.

Pokedex 3D
Pokedex 3D
The tablet could also be home to a few other features. How about voice recognition, enabling you to shout out 'I Choose You Pikachu!'? You could also use the cameras to create your own unique Pokemon trainer.

Pokemon Snap could also work brilliantly on Wii U but instead of the Pokemon being hidden in their own environment, the game could embrace Augmented Reality so you could snap them in your living room.

4. Near Field Communication

As seen in that leaked Rayman Legends Wii U trailer and Skylanders, chips stored in small toys can be used for Near Field Communication. Basically, you place an object on the Wii U tablet to trigger an action in game. Though it would be a bit of a stretch financially to expect fans to buy toys of all 649 Pokémon, perhaps the chips could be built into Pokemon trading cards. So you would buy your pack of Pokemon cards, place your chosen one on the Wii U tablet and it would appear in the game.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. bethrj Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 16:40

" for all 648 Pokemon"

I thought there were 649?

But otherwise, some pretty interesting points, but not a fan of the whole NFC idea... Maybe if there weren't so many Pokemon...

2. SteveSalmon999 Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 16:40

The NFC should be used for rare or event pokemon ... imagine getting a statue at release (or preorder, like the girantina with platinum) and unlocking a special pokemon/event in game. This would stop people thinking they have to buy over 600 toys!

3. IPecksU Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 16:44

I've been wanting a pokemon MMO for years, I'd rather explore the pokemon world with just my friends and I think random encounters might need to go if they actually make the game the fans want .(Dunno about you but I won't be missing walking around in grass for several hours for that one pokemon with a 1% encounter rate)

I'm BEGGING that we don't get crappy spinoffs again for wii u like what the wii was cursed with, the gamecube and N64 got awesome pokemon spinoffs! (ignoring hey you pikachu and pokemon channel)

4. georgerofl Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 16:46

Why not create a full 3d action adventure game, imagine Skyward Sword but Pokemon. I just don't understand why they haven't done it yet in this day and age.

5. IPecksU Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 16:50

Oh and for NFC figures if they decide to go that route, since there are SO MANY pokemon they could get more than 1 pokemon in a single figure - an example being a promotional figure featuring the Red/Blue/Yellow trainer in his glorious 8 bit form with all the starter pokemon saved into his figure, which adds up to 45 when counting evolutions.

6. NintyHippo Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 16:53

Another great list.

7. Ninja Sheep762 Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 16:59

As long as the ending is not like Mass Effect 3!

'Nuff said

8. Chris Holland Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 17:01

Can we have a new Pokemon game focusing on the real '151' Pokemon, 2nd Generation threw up some nice ones, as did 3rd and 4th generation, but the quality of good Pokemon really did dwindle. I quit White after I think the first gym as I thought the Pokemon were daft.

I want a game where I can batter the Elite 4 with a Lv. 80+ Raticate or Tentacruel . I think it would be interesting to go back to Kanto with a new storyline - maybe setting out as a young trainer 15 years after the events of the main game. Seeing the world of Red and Blue would be very interesting on Wii U as well :)

9. theJelly Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 17:10

Short of the point of wanting slightly less linear stories, these are all pretty crap ideas. That or they're never gonna happen (like an MMO).

10. MrGooseyMoose Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 17:34

Still waiting on a 'proper' 3D pokemon game with an anime style art design like the show...

...then again, I've been saying that for the past decade. Not gonna happen, is it? :(

11. TR8364 Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 17:43

One thing I don’t necessarily want GAME FREAK to change is the music in Pokémon games. Although I’m usually all-for an orchestrated soundtrack, when it comes to Pokémon games I absolutely love the ‘bleep bloop’ kind of music. You know, the sort of half-retro music that is made using MIDIs and synthesizers. I used to listen to the music in the Goldenrod Game Corner for hours with and without the ‘GBA Sounds’ switched on, (I think it was called that anyways…) because I couldn’t get enough of the amazing music! And I think that kind of music fits Pokémon games well too, far better that an orchestrated soundtrack would. Although I would like to see/hear more of it, as I find that some pokemon games are over far too quickly. Heartgold and Soulsilver versions are perfect examples of what GAME FREAK could do to extend the longevity of the game; when you have finished one region, hey, why not go to another and beat all of their gyms as well? If not that then just make the routes a tad longer, c’mon, you have to admit that Route 101 from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald versions was laughable, and as for Route 1 in Pokémon Black/White versions was pathetic; it was a lot longer once you had surf, but even for the beginning of the game it could have been a little farther. Less linear gameplay would be a welcome addition and would fit nicely with what I have said above, as it would mean you can explore the region(s) how and when you want to. Also being able to do some of the gyms in whatever order you want could be good, with the difficulty of each gym depending on when you fight it in relation the others. It could be one more aspect of the game that you could compare with your friends, but I would not like to see alternate endings, only alternate pathways that all eventually lead to one ending. As for the Near Field Communication tech, I am right behind that! Cards or figurines, I know I would buy ‘em all! (Had to.) I also think using the Wii U controller as a Pokédex would be awesome; you could use it with the Pokémon NFC cards/figures to ‘register’ new Pokémon into it, and you could get special cards at events, for pre-ordering Pokémon games, buying Pokémon DVDs and all sorts! The possibilities are endless! And maybe even the ‘Pokéwalker v.2’ could not only act as a pedometer, but also as a portable Pokédex sort-of-thing too! It could use the same sort of tech as the 3DS uses with streetpass and spotpass, ‘battling’ other trainers you pass and gaining you rewards and looking for new Pokémon to add to your Pokédex. I know I have said a lot and people will probably disagree with me, so if you do why don’t you tell me what you think about everything I have said? All this is is my opinion on what I think they should do, not some survey results or whatever so if you don’t agree with what I have said then please reply as I have nothing better to do than write essays about my opinion and watch The Big Bang Theory.

12. Laytonfan1 Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 17:51

Love the idea of calling your pokemon out, it would make you feel more involved in the game. :)

13. AquaMisty Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 19:11

Does anyone remember the Tiger Pokedex?

Imagine if they made an updated version of that with all 649 Pokemon on it ,a colour screen and a AR functioning camera.You could collect a set of all 649 Pokemon Augmented Reality cards and you could scan themin and it could do what Ash's Pokedex does in the anime!! :D

14. Tailzy Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 19:52

oh boy, your nostalgia goggles are enormous.

all gens have been consistent in good and bad designs, its all down to preference. There is no 'real' generation, you just happened to grow up with the first. The reason why they bring out a new batch with every game is that It would become stale otherwise.

15. Tamalay Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 20:03

I completely agree with having the cards have something to do with the game but maybe having cards without chips to keep them at the current price but they get you special items in game or have AR tcg battles kind off like yugioh type things. But ONE IMPORTANT THING bring back pokemon contests they were my favourite things to do on the games since ruby and sapphire they became really good and then got dropped and in black and white it is the most pointless and stupid thing ive ever seen

16. VinceLovesToast Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 20:15

Pokedex 3d pro and pokemon ar searcherC:\Users\Vince%207\Documents\Websites/arsearcher.jpgC:\Users\Vince%207\Documents\Websitespokedex3dpro

17. Chris Holland Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 20:31

oh boy, your nostalgia goggles are enormous.

I actually agree, I was being rather rash with 2nd, 3rd and 4th generations as they've had some really good ones. I suppose 5th generation has some good ones later on, but I can't remember being particularly enthralled by any . I can't think of any 1st gen ones I don't like, but yes it is personal preference :)

I may try playing white again, I just chose the pig and thought the evolutions looked daft - may go for the water one if I start again :)

18. Tazer_Silverscar Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 21:51

A full on Pokémon RPG would be amazing. I worry about trying to get a MMO to work though. Imagine the ammount of people complaining about the swarming masses of PK'ers (That's Player Killers, for those who have never looked into .hack), and the vast difficulty because of how much the ease of leveling up would have to be seriously downgraded. Heck, I find the games difficult enough as it is (as I haven't a lot of time to spend on training).

What I'd like to see is maybe a single area that works as a multiplayer area. However, to ensure you don't kill the internet in the process, it would have to be limited somehow. Preferably not by region though - I hate region exclusivity.

Hmm... if they can pretty much perfect the voice response, calling out Pokémon would be quite cool. However, what I'd suggest in addition is maybe a Poké-belt list on the touch-screen - because in the end, if you can't belt out the name for whatever reason (in my case, I do lose my voice every now and then), you still need to be able to switch.

What I'd really like is an ATB (Active Time Battle) style system, rather than it being turn based, enabling a Pokémon's speed to actually affect the way the battle runs, so slower Pokémon are indeed slower. It would also be preferred to be able to walk around again, rather than the fixed battle system Battle Revolution had. Also, given the switch would be voice activated, having the whole battle also voice activated would pull the player in dramatically.

All in all, I'm not forking out for a full game if all it is is just the battles. It gets monotonous and boring. But if Nintendo/GAME FREAK pull out a real gem, then I'll definitely pay out for it.

19. Rokinaus Thursday 10th May 2012 at 00:21

I came up with an idea that Nintendo would never do, but I think it's cool. Just have a traditional 3D Pokemon game, (Gen 6 or 7) but on the actual touch screen, you can change the graphics to be from any of the previous generation. I would buy it just for that!

20. taximadish Thursday 10th May 2012 at 07:59

Pokemon Wii U-niverse?

It's genius!!! :lol:

21. Serebii Thursday 10th May 2012 at 10:35

The first 151 are no more important than any of the rest. Just because they were first does not mean they were the "real" ones and all others are irrelevant. They will never ignore the later ones in favour of that. You need to accept that there are others. You didn't even give the games a chance if you quit after the first gym

The developers have said they prefer to keep the main games sprite-based as they can be more artistic with them

Anyway, the chances of the Wii U game being an RPG are minimal. The developers have continually said that the games are designed for handhelds and will remain on the handheld.

A Pokédex isn't likely, especially as Pokédex 3D Pro is a paid download now, rather than free.

If a Wii U game comes, it'll just be the Gen 5 Battle Simulator or a spin-off. You need to accept it

22. CraigEmberson Thursday 10th May 2012 at 14:54

I actually have the feeling that the 3DS Pokemon games will be like that, as they said they're keeping sprites. It wouldn't surprise me, with the hints all over Pokemon Black 2 and White 2, if they're making the Gen 3 remakes on 3DS (with the 3 theme) - with hand drawn sprites and Trainers full with constant animation.

23. Komodo_Wolfgang Thursday 10th May 2012 at 17:01

*presses none existant like Button* They should also make Zelda like this...well not ENTIRELY like it, but a vast land like it.
    Could like it says on the list, make it more MMORPG and have a train/plane or something to visit other people in their lands. Each land could be randomly generated like Animal Crossing towns. ...'Spose in which case the places cant be as vast. The This idea would obviously need to use FCs and have a limit on how many people can be in the land at a time. Saints Row on the other consoles had the ability to have 2 people running riot in their towns, and Battle Field 3 has masses of people fighting in vast high detailed terrain.
    Though to be honest I think the 'main' pokemon storyline should stay on the handhelds, and home consoles get spin offs.
    Id personaly love an up to date Pokemon Snap, with the ability to connect to the 3DS or something. And even on the Wii, I wanted a Pokemon Ranger game in full detail, voice acting and not top down. Wii would have worked brilliantly (and give you a great work out) by your Wiimote being the styler, but I suppose it would work with the WiiU handset thing.

Interestingly enough, on Deviant art theres been art appearing with the titles of something like "Pokemon Crossing" where people have been making animal crossing characters, but instead of animals, theyre pokemon.

24. OHJOY90 Friday 11th May 2012 at 20:39

I'd personally like a sequel to Pokémon Colosseum/XD or at least a similar style game set in another region as I always thought they were great games and have been disappointed that nothing has happened in the last 7 years. However I doubt that they'll do it what with their feelings on doing a Pokémon RPG on home consoles.

25. astrogamer Friday 11th May 2012 at 22:25

i would love to see a pokemon game where you merge with your pokemon like the recent Pokemon manga spinoff Pokemon Burst

26. spacemen13 Saturday 12th May 2012 at 06:27

WHAT ABOUT The ability to equip weapons onto pokemon. CAN'T wait to see pikuchu with a AK47

27. simleader Saturday 12th May 2012 at 10:20

yeah but one of the videos on youtube shows a pikachu shooting a charizard with an ak47.at the end though. its called pokemon in real life 2.its funny. 8)

28. yoshi_girl92 Saturday 12th May 2012 at 14:13

seriously nintendo, make the original concept of Pokémon on the Wii U --OPEN WORLD IS CALLING. None of this Colosseum stuff, pure unadulterated HD pokemon on the big screen! PLEASE I BEG YOU!!

29. rukaio101 Sunday 13th May 2012 at 11:00

I've read that manga. It was awful.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing a MMORPG Pokemon game. That'd be pretty interesting.

30. Waldy565 Sunday 13th May 2012 at 20:48

love ideas number 4 and you read my mind for idea number 7, at least the pkmn MMORPG aspect :P

31. spacemen13 Friday 25th May 2012 at 16:01

I would like to equip clothes and gizmos on a 3d character. Also more bonding moments with you pokemon.

32. Tazer_Silverscar Wednesday 6th Jun 2012 at 22:21

Am I one of the few who doesn't think 'ZOMG!!!11!! A POKÉMON MMORPG WOULD BE AWESOMEZORZ!!!'?

If anything, the biggest issue with a Pokémon MMORPG is the truely tremendous amount of data required to run one. That and in order to cater to the hardcore players who play nothing but, the game would be made a good thousand times harder. I find it hard enough to play the normal games due to the lack of time I have...

33. kbb12341234 Wednesday 1st Aug 2012 at 06:13

A M.M.O.R.P.G. Pokemon game for Wii u or a Pokemon Snap would be where the moneys at if done properly. They can even use the NFC idea about scaning products for Pokemon. As long as you can cetch all the Pokemon in the game it wouldn't be a nissesity to buy them so fans really couldn't be upset at shoveling out the extra bucks, and serously who dosen't want an excuse to buy a cute Pikachu toy, it's a win win situation. Plus better advertisment for Pokemon realted things because of the extra merchendise.

34. CoCo112 Thursday 22nd Nov 2012 at 19:21

Game with graphics like pokemon XD and Colleseum but improved. But more of a free roam then those games kind of like the hand held games. Not just speeding from town to town. Able to go in grass or some area to catch pokemon, not just those dumb poke spots to catch just a hand full of different pokemon. Have an actual choice of starter. Not just start the game with an eevee. Why can't we choose between A fire, water, and grass type pokemon like in the handheld games? Like tepig, oshowatt, and snivy. I think double battles are a good idea. It would be cool to be able to pick two of the three starters too. Don't just have a short storyline either, Sure thare can be people like cipher and you can catch shadow pokemon from them but, add eight gym leaders an elite four. Basically combine pokemon handhelds with pokemon XD. As if cipher was like team magma from ruby, but they have shadow pokemon you catch that are rare. Make us able to find wild pokemon like in the handhelds, we don't just jump from city to city, how about we walk through some sort of area and we can run into pokemon there. Also put in some rare legendaries that you find. Deoxys for example has been impossible to get. Also we should have a rival like in the handhelds. Also not necessary, but it would be cool if we could customize our character.