How to unlock Black Yoshi for Mario Tennis Open

Go to one of 30 Asda stores this Friday or Saturday

You can get your hands on a special Black Yoshi for your copy of Mario Tennis Open if you go to a special sampling event at participating Asda stores on Friday 25th or Saturday 26th May.

The Black Yoshi is one of a number of different coloured Yoshi characters whom will be unlockable using special QR codes that will be released in the weeks following the Mario Tennis Open launch. In addition to the Black Yoshi, a White Yoshi has also been confirmed.

Black Yoshi
Black Yoshi
Here is a list of Asda stores where you can get your Black Yoshi from.

Sutton Coldfield: Minworth Supercentre, Walmley Ash Road, B76 1XL

Tamworth: Tamworth Supercentre, Ventura Road Retail Park, Bitterscote Tamworth, B78 3HB 01827 302180

Bristol: Patchway Supercentre, Highwood Lane, Patchway, Bristol, BS34 5TL

Cardiff: Cardiff Supercentre, Longwood Drive, Coryton, Cardiff, CF14 7EW

Queensferry: Supercentre, Aston Road Clwyd, CH5 1TP

Ellesmere Port: Supercentre, Grange Road, Ellesmere, Port Merseyside, CH65 0BZ

Coventry: Supercentre, Brade Drive, Walsgrave, Coventry, CV2 2PN

Derby: Supercentre, Derby Road, Spondon, DE21 7LW

Hull: Hessle Road, Hull, HU3 4PE

Tipton: Great Bridge Supercentre, Brickhouse Lane, South Great Bridge, West Midlands, DY4 7HW

Govan: 500 Helen Street, Glasgow, G51 3HR

Livingston: Supercentre, Almondvale Road South, Livingston, EH54 6NB

Huyton: Supercentre, Huyton Lane, Huyton, Liverpool, L36 7TX

Pudsey: Pudsey Supercentre, Owlcoates Shopping Centre, Stanningley Bypass, Stanningley, Pudsey, Leeds, LS28 6AR

Manchester: Eastlands Supercentre, ASDA Sport City, Ashton New Road, Manchester, M11 4BD

Manchester: Trafford Park Supercentre, Barton Dock Road, Trafford Park, Manchester, M41 7ZA

Gravesend: Thames Way, Gravesend, DA11 0DQ

Milton Keynes: Supercentre, Bletcham Way, Milton Keynes, MK1 1QB

Gateshead: Metro Retail Park, Gibside Way, Metro Centre, Gateshead, NE11 9YA

West Bridgford: Loughborough Road, Nottingham, NG2 7JA

Havant: Supercentre, Larchwood Avenue, Bedhampton, Havant, Hampshire, PO9 3QW

Dagenham: Merrielands Crescent, Dagenham, RM9 6SJ

Brampton: Asda Living, Cortonwood Retail Park, Cortonwood Drive, Brampton, Barnsley, S73 0TB

Swindon: Haydon Supercentre, Orbital Shopping Park, Thamesdown Drive, Swindon, SN25 4BG

Eastleigh: Eastleigh Supercentre, Bournemouth Road, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, SO5 3YJ

Basildon: Eastgate Supercentre, Eastgate Shopping Centre, Basildon, Essex, SS14 1AE

Reading: Lower Earley, Chalfont Way, Reading, RG6 5TT

Watford: Watford Supercentre, Odhams Industrial Estate Watford, WD24 7RT

Wigan: Wigan Supercentre, Soho Street, Robin Park Wigan, WN5 0XA

Leicester: Fosse Park, Narborough Road, South Braunstone, Leicester, LE3 2LL

Comments

1. Dean Thompson Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 11:18

Surely anyone could just put the code up online after the event.

An MLocal is opening about 100 metres from where I live on Monday so that's where you'll find my prospective food.

2. SuperJonnyMario Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 11:38

Really?! Not a single Asda that I am close to. Why must life and nintendo hate people like me cause things that are awesome is always too far away! :cry:

3. Slinkington Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 11:44

None of those are near me either. Don't worry, someone will display the codes online as they're announced. I'd be VERY surprised if this was not the case.

4. Riburion Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 11:47

Why do Nintendo events have to be nowhere near where I live, it's like the pokemon distributions all over again, it's not the dark ages any more, why can't these things just be on the internet? :evil:

5. Shinnos Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 11:49

No London stores? :( Hope someone'll post the QR code online...

6. Blizian Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 11:57

right near my houe. Awesome. Getting this.

7. noobgamer9 Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 12:10

do you have to have the game before you scan the qr code?

8. MarvelFan Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 12:28

The first store in the list is mine so if I can get down there on Friday or Saturday, I will take a photo with my 3DS and post it on here for everyone.

9. lui_gui Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 12:40

Hahaha... Govan...

10. Commandervideo Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 12:42

WOOP WOOP!

11. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 12:55

I hope someone posts the code online.

12. alexkinch Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 13:30

I also hope the code gets posted as am at mcm expo all weekend

13. alfiej97 Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 13:53

I live in Swindon and the asda store there is doing it but I'm leaving for turkey on friday :( I'll just look for it online :P

14. bowser-cario Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 14:07

Why does Nintendo hate Ireland?First the Nintendo Zone and now this! :evil:

15. NintyHippo Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 14:15

None in Northern Ireland? :evil:

Thank you so much! You are awesome and you don't smell.

16. Icytroid1993 Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 14:24

For crying out loud at least make all this fuss worth while! A black Yoshi, wow :roll: Why not a new character? Either way, wouldn't it be easier if the unlockable was unlocked in the game?

17. sciqueen Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 14:35

Does anyone think it's cheeky of Nintendo to put these codes in supermarkets and not game stores?

18. shadowlugia101 Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 14:52

so do we have to go to asda or will someone put the codes up?

19. CyberGW Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 15:01

Yeah! Thanks for that mate!
    I would much prefer to go to the real event, but it's not really fair making my dad drive me somewhere about half an hour away to scan a QR Code.

20. Pyron12 Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 15:10

I don't understand why they do that either.

21. Cheesemonster Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 15:23

Well it hates me to. Literally, the nearest is over 2 hours drive and I don't drive since I'm not 18. DAMN YOU LIFE!! :evil:
    Hopefully, it'll be on the internet.

22. dannyyyy Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 15:50

tbf, there aren't many game stores around anymore.

23. Accelgor7 Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 15:53

You, my child, Are A lord among men!!!!!! :o :o :o :o

24. Water Max Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 15:55

I would go to the Derby or Gateshead events but I have 4 exams in the next 2 weeks so I shouldn't go. I hope these QR codes are not unique. The article says that there will be more event QR codes which I hope will be released after my exams.

No London stores? :( Hope someone'll post the QR code online...

I think the Watford store event is the closest event to London. Watford has 3 stations in the London Underground transit system.

25. oyster18 Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 16:00

Argh that's infuriating, I wouldn't plan on going but I live in Northern Ireland I would like the choice of whether or not I go to things like this

26. goldenmushroom Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 17:12

of course nintendo won't put it in Ireland or N. Ireland. :cry: hope someone puts it online

27. AtomAtton Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 17:28

Yay! There's one in Cardiff! But I have a question. Do you have to buy the copy at Asda's to get the Yoshis or can you have any copy? (I've ordered mine from Amazon.)

28. ihuntermusic Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 17:54

I don't understand why they do that either.

Maybe it is related to Club Nintendo. There is a section when registering products on the nintendo website that asks where you buy products etc... Perhaps lots of people advised the supermarket. I know I often buy there because it is usually a good few pounds cheaper.

29. linkfinity Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 18:12

that maybe harder than you think, the 3ds will try to scan the QR code (though i'm not sure if the actual app does that or just the "quick cam") so you will have to take it off center or somthing.

30. MarvelFan Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 18:41

You, my child, Are A lord among men!!!!!! :o :o :o :o

I LOL'd :)

Yes I will get a photo of the code and post a new thread in the DS/3DS forum. Hopefully you should all then be able to scan it :)

31. phil2512 Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 18:47

I live near Tipton so YAY.

32. alexkinch Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 20:12

My friend in usa just sent me the mario tennis stationary!!! Any one need it pm me and will letterbox u it

33. Donkey Kong Jr. Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 21:19

Hahaha... Govan...

Yeh I'm defos hitting up freaking govan for this. Who in Govan plays Mario games anyway? Should have been at the one in Bearsden

34. supermariobros Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 21:33

Someone, I need help, I have imported a 3DS from America, so yes, I have the North American version, I know I cant use games from here, I have no problem importing games from America, as I'm no alone, someone in America has a Japanese version and they have to import their games from Japan. By the way, does the region lock affect eshop, not eshop cards but eshop, I researched it and it just said about cards, so I thought it doesnt affect eshop, as I have downloaded something or 2 from eshop, I presume eshop is not region locked for downloads, the problem with eshop that I have is that, anything I search is not coming up, it just says couldnt find any titles, I thought on the home screen it comes up anyway, like virtual console everything, mine just says settings, add funds, search etc... And games at retail, nothing else, I want to download nintendo letterbox, but as I have the North American system, I have to download Swapnote, but still it says couldnt find any results.
    Is there any setting I have to change, someone please help me

35. supermariobros Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 21:37

LOL! The good thing about that I have the North American system is that, we all know North America gets things before us, as I have to import games from their, I can order games that aren't out here, and I can play them on my 3DS

LOL!!!!

36. Misanthropy Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 21:52

I got the second stickers on the pokedex by taking a photo of it with my digital camera then scanning the photo so it should let you take a photo if you use the 3ds camera not the scan QR code. They might not like you doing this but whatever and sure someone will post it online

37. noelnen Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 23:55

Why does Nintendo hate Ireland?First the Nintendo Zone and now this! :evil:

Yeah, it's like we don't matter, it's not as bad as it was though,
    a few years ago they didn't even know we existed.

38. ZodiacXYZ Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 00:13

This has to be the most random selection of venues I've ever seen. I'm aware of a few of them and it looks like they've very much strayed away from major locations. I mean, those aren't even Manchester or Leicester City Centres are they?

39. FlashBoost7 Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 02:33

Does this QR code work for the United States?!

If so, When someone gets the code please send it to me via ONM!

40. GloverMist Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 06:28

Thanks SO much to everyone who's going to post the code on the Internets! I'm so lazy I can't be bothered to go to Bristol, Swindon or Cardiff which are and hour away from me!

41. EpicMario Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 18:13

I get the game for my birthday on the 10th of June but none of the stores listed are near me as I live in Stowmarket. so could someone keep a picture of this code and keep it up on the site or could you people at ONM please help me out. :cry:

42. EpicMario Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 18:19

Thank you so much MarvelFan :lol: :shock:

43. ShadowFlare1991 Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 18:52

Any ideas where about in the stores we will find them?

44. DudeElLoco Thursday 24th May 2012 at 11:04

None of those near me either, but here is a thought. With Nintendo wanting to compete with XBL & PSN is there a concern to anyone who gets the game after the dates listed (which are the first 2 days of release) trying to get theses characters? My sister said to me she was going to try & get Mario Tennis for my birthday on the 3rd of June & if Black Yoshi is only available for the first 2 days of release & then someone puts up the QR code for him & it is scanned in & unlocked after those 2 days, are Nintendo gonna start issuing warnings or such or maybe make him DLC for a later point or repeat circulation of QR codes so anyone can get him legit?

45. NintyHippo Thursday 24th May 2012 at 11:10

There's a White Yoshi too I think.

46. MarvelFan Thursday 24th May 2012 at 11:40

Any ideas where about in the stores we will find them?

The entertainment department where they keep all the game stock.

47. bowser-cario Thursday 24th May 2012 at 15:53

Why does Nintendo hate Ireland?First the Nintendo Zone and now this! :evil:

Yeah, it's like we don't matter, it's not as bad as it was though,
    a few years ago they didn't even know we existed.

Maybe they can only give them away in a certain amount of countries.Say,they could do it for ten countries.Japan,USA,France,Australia,UK,Spain,Germany,China,Canada and Brazil would all have a bigger gaming industry then us.

48. NintyHippo Thursday 24th May 2012 at 15:59

There's a White Yoshi too I think.

I don't think, I know! It's true! :D

49. Roswee-son Friday 25th May 2012 at 00:07

Here you go guys it's pretty simple to sort out but once you are on the file select screen of Mario tennis hold up on the d-pad and press start and it'll come up with an QR scanner ;)

Go to that link and scroll down a lil bit should see a pretty big QR code that will unlock the white yoshi for the U.K version.

Enjoy people.

P.s I've seen a white, black, red, blue and a yellow one so once the U.K codes are available can they be posted here please ;) American owners want to hit up facebook as all the codes are there, I should know I tried em ;) not that yet worked ;( haha again enjoy the white yoshi people.

50. Roswee-son Friday 25th May 2012 at 00:10

Also there seems to be a yoshi suit for your mii? Is there a U.K. Version of that about an is it for in game or just for your normal mii for street pass stuff, looks pretty darn cool, I do love nintendo but I'm seriously glad I don't have to drive 45 minutes for a different coloured yoshi, I did it for celebi and that was enough ;)

51. Water Max Friday 25th May 2012 at 01:30

I've decided to quickly visit to ASDA store in the Metro Retail Park in Gateshead on Saturday and be back in York by 2pm. I will upload a picture of the QR Code if nobody has before me.

Korea also receives a lot of Pokémon events.

52. Roswee-son Friday 25th May 2012 at 14:54

In the interests of racial equality and because I'm no racist white and black yoshi's are here tested the black one but got the white one elsewhere last night.

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/05/2 ... -qr-codes/

Enjoy.

53. craig134 Friday 25th May 2012 at 16:10

Il look for it online as i am too far away from these shops

54. Commandervideo Friday 25th May 2012 at 18:07

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/05/2 ... -qr-codes/

Enjoy.

NICE ONE! :D

55. Water Max Friday 25th May 2012 at 22:55

Did any user of these forums go to one of the ASDAs today (Friday)? I'm mainly going for the StreetPassing on Saturday as everyone who takes part in the event will have a 3DS with them. If anyone did I would like to know which one he/she went to, how many StreetPass hits he/she got from being in the ASDA store and for how long he/she was in the ASDA store hence calculating the rate of StreetPass hits in the event.

EDIT: I'm at the event now. The QR Code can't be photographed because it is on a card held by a member of staff.

56. cra1gy2 Saturday 26th May 2012 at 09:39

I went to the one is LIVINGSTON yesterday... The staff member wont let me take a picture of the QR Code... :evil:

But I am going today to go and scan it.... I will try and get a picture... Wish me luck :)

Also I asked about upcoming events and the nintendo person there confirmed white yoshi is available Next Friday and Saturday... Also there will be more after that but she said it's secret for now...

So every Friday/Saturday each week there will be another different coloured yoshi... From what I can gather :twisted:

57. NintyHippo Saturday 26th May 2012 at 10:28

I got both the Black Yoshi and the White Yoshi from MarvelFan's thread in DS and 3DS. Thanks again MarvelFan!

58. Roswee-son Saturday 26th May 2012 at 17:28

I would have loved to have gone down to the event and finished off my puzzles but had work and couldn't justify the drive about 45 minutes and the cost to get down there when the code is already available on the Internet which makes it weird that at the asda events they wouldn't let you guys take photos, it's already on the net so dont worry, any news on the other colours getting over here yet red yellow and blue, cheers guys and gals ;)

59. Shinnos Saturday 26th May 2012 at 23:10

Not sure if this has been said somewhere already, but you can also get a Yoshi costume for your Mii by scanning the QR Code on the Mario Tennis website: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/gam ... tml#/codes

60. NintyHippo Sunday 27th May 2012 at 10:05

Super Mario Wiki says that there are more QR code Yoshis to come at a later date, like a yellow one and a blue one. :D