E3 2012 Predictions: Wii U

What will Nintendo announce for Wii U on June 5th?

Last week, you delivered your E3 2012 3DS predictions but everyone knows that Wii U will be the biggest thing at the biggest games show on Earth. The whole world will have their eyes on the Nintendo show at 5pm on June 5th to see Wii U's final design and find out which games will be released for Nintendo's new console.

Of course, we already know about many of the games. Batman: Arkham City, LEGO City Stories and Darksiders 2 were just some of the games that were confirmed for Wii U last year but aside from Pikmin 3 and Smash Bros Wii U, Nintendo has yet to confirm any first-party games for the console. The Zelda Wii U and New Super Mario Bros Mii were showcased last year, but they were just prototypes.

So what else should be announced? It's over to you...

ONM forum member Guy Gamer already has the whole conference planned. "Open with a Wii U video, confirm the specs. This should be followed by first party games, including Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros Mii, Mario Kart 8, Legend of Zelda Wii U. Next, third-party games: Batman: Arkham City, Assassin's Creed 3, Aliens: Colonial Marines, LEGO City Stories, Dirt, Battlefield, Ghost Recon Online, Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2. Finally, Nintendo should tell us about Nintendo Network and how Wii U connects with 3DS.

Sounds like a decent show to us but many people are hoping that Nintendo will show off something new.

Show us something new!

Loading video...

You may remember that amid all the false 'Miyamoto is retiring' headlines in December last year, it was confirmed that Nintendo's main man is working on a new, original game as well as Pikmin 3. Many of you are looking forward to seeing what this is. Kesskuron said that he's "keen to hear more about the stuff that Miyamoto has supposedly been working on."

Miyamoto also recently mentioned that there's a strong possibility that Nintendo will introduce new characters to the scene soon. SkyLink is hoping that it will be at this year's E3. "I can't wait to hear something about these new characters Mr. Nintendo talked about. I can already imagine the new cult character like Mario, Zelda and so on."

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next page

Comments

1. BlackMageMario Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 17:03

I'd like to dispute the comment about "the controller nubs". I found the 3DS's "nub" to be fantastic. Heck, in some instances, its better than the normal stick! I think the "nubs" on the Wii U will be great, and besides, the controller would look ridiculous with sticks, right?

- BlackMageMario

2. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 17:11

I'd like a Phoenix Wright game (not Apollo Justice or Miles Edgeworth) but no penalties, that's really annoying. It could work for Wii U.

3. wizardgamer94 Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 17:47

I'd like a home console pokemon adventure. It'd be HD of course but I'd think it'd be more awesome if it wasn't random encounters and a linear story but an open world, free roaming battle system. That would be the best pokemon game ever!!

If not, then I'd be happy with a HD Zelda, 3D HD mario, HD fps metroid, HD Starfox, HD mega man, HD resident evil, HD Kid Icarus Uprising or an adventure Kid Icarus game, HD Castlevania, HD Layton, HD mario kart, HD Final Fantasy, HD mario rpg, HD Street Fighter, HD F-Zero, HD Metal Gear Solid, HD Kirby, HD Earthbound and many others that I can't think of at the moment.

4. shy guy 64 Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 18:10

as smash bros has only been in development for 4 months i dont think we'll see anything

but im sure will finnaly get to see pikmin 3

5. me4ndubz Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 18:45

@BlackMageMario but the controller has been redesigned and is going to have analogue sticks instead

6. GdiddyN Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 19:04

If they waste my time by not even showing so much as a SCREENSHOT of Pikmin 3, I WILL be mad. Personally, I would prefer to see a trailer, after waiting for so long with no result. :cry:

I would love to see old franchises come back. I new decent Starfox in HD on the Wii U? F-Zero in 3d? WarioWare would be a good title for Wii U too as the new controller offers new possibilities.

I would like to see a new Mario 3d Game take a step in the right direction. 3D Land was abysmal when compared to the galaxy games, so on Wii U, a HD Mario would be fantastic and No doubt exiting. It should be colourful, it should offer new gameplay mechanics and it should be as good as a mario game should be. And the soundtrack should be better than 3d land too, please, maybe orchestrated like it should be?

Smash Bros has been in development not for very long at all but a teaser should bring the hype for definite. Sakurai should add new starters in the new game, 1st party ones. Show them off.

As for the Wii U, I want to see how the online will work. Will the Miis be coming back? I hope it's as vast as Xbox Live with customizable costumes, Achievements and DLC.

Yes, I am exited.

7. Dan-the-Wii-man Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 19:53

Its already been leaked that the Wii U controller will have sticks now

8. Commandervideo Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 21:19

I hope retro studios are making star fox and not another metroid and i'll be gutted if nothing of pikmin 3 is shown

release dates for monster hunter, paper mario and animal crossing would be great too

9. CraigEmberson Thursday 24th May 2012 at 04:38

For one, the 3DS Circle Pad reduces thumb pains and is awesome. Two - People are expecting or wanting way too much and then moan when they don't get it... Don't expect more than is promised and don't blame Nintendo if you don't see your crazy and overambitious ideas featured on it. Nintendo were already FALSELY blamed for the separation of gamers, when it was developers and fans that turned their backs on Nintendo because they were narrow-minded on looks, rather than the evolution of gaming.

10. CraigEmberson Thursday 24th May 2012 at 04:40

but im sure will finnaly get to see pikmin 3

How do you know it's been four months? They don't finish one game and go straight into another - they take a break in between every game, because they've worked their butts off for years on another game. Even so, you're right about not seeing anything. If anything, they'll reveal the title and some of the planned functionality in more detail.

11. RyanCraddock Thursday 24th May 2012 at 06:20

Wow, thanks for quoting pretty much everything I said! :P

Something I didn't actually think about was the specs and exactly what features the console is going to have. I really hope we're not let down by any compromises.

12. shy guy 64 Thursday 24th May 2012 at 08:04

but im sure will finnaly get to see pikmin 3

How do you know it's been four months?

cause he said he started work on it in febuary or at least said somthing witch every one understood he was starting devlopment

13. Dave-O Thursday 24th May 2012 at 09:31

I want to see another 3d mario game for WiiU, but a lot more like Mario 64 or Sunshine. What these older games have that 3D Land and Galaxy 1 and 2 lack are huge explorable levels and great hubs with more hidden secrets. The levels in later 3d mario games have become narrow, forcing you to stick to the same path every time you redo it but with Mario 64 there were many ways of reaching the end: go the long way, find shortcuts, use cannons and so on. Also, the hubs on 64 and Sunshine were crammed with secrets, unlike the average hubs of the galaxy games. So, I urge Nintendo to go back to their 3D roots with fully explorable levels and a big hub where secrets are everywhere. Oh Yeah!

14. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 24th May 2012 at 10:30

I wrote a massive post, so thank you for including a lot of it.
    Btw, I'm sure now that your misspelling my name on purpose...

15. PrinceMidna Thursday 24th May 2012 at 12:31

They'll possibly have a new Mario game in the same vein as Mario 64 but with full co-op multiplayer. (Similar to what was teased in the Mario 64X4 trailer for the Nintendo Nitro, before it became Mario 64 DS and had very little multiplayer.) Also, Star Fox and Zelda are musts. IF they were to unveil Mario Kart Wii U (which they probably won't this year), I'd like to see customization similar to Little Big Planet Karting. With the new controller, they have no excuse to NOT have a level creator.

16. Redfish20 Thursday 24th May 2012 at 14:44

StarFox for WiiU. Like Assault but with loads more levels and online multiplayer, you know it makes sense.

17. spacemen13 Thursday 24th May 2012 at 14:55

I would really like inazuma eleven 3 on Wii u it would be great moving around your players on touch screen.

18. MarioWalrus Thursday 24th May 2012 at 17:36

it would be nice to see some more third party support early on and by early on, i mean within the next year of so after launch just to "keep the ball rolling", maybe a half life series re-make from valve?

19. Xenobladeperson Thursday 24th May 2012 at 17:55

I just noticed that I'm not in school during E3. I get a few days off for whatever reason. Is ONM showing it live like they did last year? I need to know how I can watch it!

Nintendo need to have loads of great games at launch and within the first year, but not too many, I'm not made of money. There better be a decent JRPG within the console's early days.

20. thenintendoer Thursday 24th May 2012 at 17:57

i hope the starfox-metroid crossover game is true so hyped up for it even though its just a rumor :D

21. smashbrother Friday 25th May 2012 at 09:40

I'd personally love to see Nintendo make connectivity between 3DS and Wii U more advanced and used alot more. If you can transfer you 3DS system data to the Wii U using Spot Pass and have one profile across both, and then you can through spot pass the consoles could share save files, for example if Nintendo develops a Mario that is the same for both consoles (then ship as a bundle maybe?) then you could use that feature that you can play the game on the controller and instead pick up where you were at on the 3DS on the way to work or whatever. It's something Apple does on iOS, and playstation are to some extent doing it, and it works for them, and seeing as Nintendo have always been a master at connectivity then it should be something they could pull off, it would give a full console experience anywhere.

22. MasterBrawler91 Friday 25th May 2012 at 16:44

I reckon they'll release something pokemon based, that said they are currently working on Pokemon Black and White 2 if not then I reckon they'll show a little bit of game footage of the new Smash Bros. This year is gonna be awesome!!!

23. Shimama_king Friday 25th May 2012 at 17:02

Minecraft Wii-U day 1 E-shop download. X-box has a version i want a Wii-U version.

24. CDS Saturday 26th May 2012 at 15:17

Okay. First off, well done to everyone who was featured in those comments, especially me with the Lego City Stories and WiiU Hardware comments.

Second, BlackMageMario, one thing I never mentioned in that 3DS nub part was the fact I have owned Lego Star Wars 3 for both 3DS and PS3, and much preferred playing it on the PS3 due to the 3DS' nub. As soon as I got a PSVita, I swapped all the PSP games I could to that so I didn't have to put up with the PSP's nub. I even edited the controls of Midnight Club: LA Remix and Gran Turismo PSP just so I didn't have to use the nub for steering. Yes, okay. You might think they are better than normal analogues, but sticks are fixed on a rotating ball. Nubs aren't which means they stick more when you try to move them.

Third, I will hopefully be watching E3 on Nintendo's Facebook page. I sure people will be supplying a lot of comments about the event on there while watching. It allows you to say you will be watching and will sync to up, so that when it starts, it will swap to that page or something. You can also send it to other people so they can watch it as well.

As always, I will be keeping up with the E3 news, and with me off college during that week, I can just sit at a laptop all day refreshing CVG. Or not...

25. Diddy ZX Saturday 26th May 2012 at 17:56

Its already been leaked that the Wii U controller will have sticks now

Aww, that's an enormous shame... I really hope that that's not true - it's always a shame when input devices and their uses are held back by folks who can't adapt.

Analogue sticks have always immensely hurt my hands and wrists - as, I gather, is the case for many people - and have prevented plenty of game purchases as a result (I'm very handheld-focussed, and always have been, but I do still like home-consoles on occasion). The only one that I've ever found to be ok (but still inferior to the nub on the 3DS), is the stick on the Wii's nunchuk, since it's pretty short.

The fact that the Wii U's controller had nubs was one of the things that I was looking forward to about it (games aside, obviously - those come first, always!).

This. :P

26. Icytroid1993 Saturday 26th May 2012 at 18:04

1) A new Metroid being developed by Retro Studios, PLEASE! :mrgreen:
    2) Details of Super Smash Bros.
    3) 3DS redesign. (Not that i care)
    4) Wii U Price.
    5) Wii U - Official launch games.

27. CDS Saturday 26th May 2012 at 18:05

I can adapt. Just saying, though. Make sure the nubs stick less. If it needs it, fix it onto a rotating ball but keep the sliding feel of it. Lost Mario Kart 7 matches on countless occasions when using the analogue because it stuck for a second.

28. Commandervideo Saturday 26th May 2012 at 18:11

Try no to press down so hard on the slider, although that can be tough while racing online with all the madness going on

29. Icytroid1993 Saturday 26th May 2012 at 18:13

not another metroid

Please tell me you didn't just say that!
    CDS there's no difference between analogue and circle pads, and i've never experienced the circle pad getting stuck during play, but thats just me 8)

30. Commandervideo Saturday 26th May 2012 at 18:30

not another metroid

Please tell me you didn't just say that!

Metroid on wii u would be awesome but I would like to see retro studios do something different like starfox as DKCR was the best. Otherswise Retro studios could end up being called 'Metroid studios'

31. EpicMario Saturday 26th May 2012 at 19:24

They should just say when Mario or Zelda games are released :shock:

32. Diddy ZX Saturday 26th May 2012 at 21:24

Me too, me too...

I would imagine, if Retro made a Star Fox game, we might stand a chance of seeing a return to the original universe from the SNES games, or at least something similar to it. (I've never been a fan of the Star Fox 64 series' rebooting of the franchise, its lower difficulty level, bad acting, and having to unlock stuff that should be available from the start and in other games would be. I've always *vastly* preferred the SNES installments. :P)

33. Commandervideo Saturday 26th May 2012 at 21:29

Me too, me too...

I've never played starwing but would really like to download if my wii was online, and how can you not like lylatwars/SF64
    it's my favourite action/shooter game i've ever played, the voice acting is legendary as is the level design for me anyway

34. Diddy ZX Saturday 26th May 2012 at 21:43

Me too, me too...

I said that I vastly preferred the SNES installments, not that I don't like Star Fox 64. I just don't think that the Star Fox 64 series has ever been able to hold a candle to the original Star Fox series, is all. ;)

Star Fox 64 was a *huge* disappointment to me from the very first time I played it, and it took a bit over a decade for me to be able to take it on its own merits, instead of expecting it to be like a Star Fox game (it isn't - it's a Star Fox 64 game, set in a different universe, with a different gameplay focus.)

I just don't like how the gameplay focus was changed from challenging with a focus on playing well and getting a great end total and a good ranking for each stage (shown during the credits), to easy with a focus on score-attacking individual levels and unlocking things, or how it directs me on exactly how I must play every few seconds, or how they changed all of the characters' backgrounds and and the entire backstory, in addition to the things that I noted before. It's not for me, to the same degree that the SNES titles were.

Bear in mind, I've been a fan since the first game - I expect that it's different for folks who haven't experienced it. :P

35. Commandervideo Saturday 26th May 2012 at 21:46

Fair enough, lylatwars is still epic though and you have freedom to complete or accomplish the missons so I don't see how it directs play

36. Diddy ZX Saturday 26th May 2012 at 22:54

It certainly tries to appear to be epic.

Anyway, to try to explain a little better, one of my (many) issues with it is that you have to force yourself to play badly to unlock things that shouldn't be locked, and the fact that you are directed as to what buttons you should be pressing every few seconds. Being told that you should pull off such-a-move now, or this-and-that is ahead of you, when it's blindingly obvious, just ruins it for me. The SNES games just let you get on with it, without having a spoken walkthrough provided. ;)

This said, I really should bow out, now - I don't wish to drag this any further off-topic! My apologies for that!

37. Icytroid1993 Sunday 27th May 2012 at 17:17

They do such a good job though! You have to agree that the ending to Prime 3 must be followed up :) If Retro Studios are making a new Metroid it doesn't mean that they won't be assigned to make a new Starfox :) I think we will see a new Starfox soon anyway, Starfox 64 3D was a hint i think :)

38. Commandervideo Sunday 27th May 2012 at 22:06

Nintendo said that they would consider doing another starfox depending on how well starfox 64 3D sold I think :?

39. Groomy Monday 4th Jun 2012 at 16:02

I actually reckon maybe another Luigi's mansion, or failing that, they'll try to surprise every one with a big new mario or metroid game. I have to say I hope for the latter but the first would be brilliant.