Classic E3 moments: Nintendo reveal GameCube in 2001

"Unquestionably the best videogame console ever created"

Five years after Nintendo unveiled N64 at E3 1996, it was time to show off its successor: the amazing GameCube. Nintendo had kind of worked out this E3 business by then. In 1996, two games testers sat on the stage like bored teenagers and played Super Mario 64 in front of the games press but this time Nintendo flew in Shigeru Miyamoto who played Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin in front of whooping crowds.

We say Nintendo 'kind of' worked out how to do a conference because, dear lord, it was a bit boring to start with. Peter Main, executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing, was joined on stage by Satoru Iwata but it would be 15 minutes before Nintendo even showed off a game.

There was no autocue as Main read from a large notepad. In fact, the only entertainment value was from Main himself and his pronunciation of console. You would have thought that having worked for a videogames company for 14 years, he would have worked out that it's a console, not a council.

From there it was all good, apart from the bit where Iwata talked about 3D programming bottlenecks (snooze). He did, however, make some big statements about Nintendo. It was what he called the Nintendo Difference.

"We are responsible for the most popular games," said Iwata. "Today, Nintendo's first and second party development staff are by far the most developed and accomplished of anywhere in the world."

He continued: "Mario, Donkey Kong are names known around the world. If you want these stars you can not have them unless you own a Nintendo machine. We know more about what makes great games than anyone else. This is why Nintendo succeeds. This is the Nintendo difference. In our view we are only an entertainment company but we are working to become the best entertainment company anywhere."

Big words and there was more from Peter Main who introduced us to "what is unquestionably the best videogame council ever created."

Then on comes Miyamoto waving the GameCube as if he's a footballer showing off the World Cup to his adoring fans. You couldn't do that with an Xbox!

"Let me introduce you to our new baby," said the great man. "Like all babies it's small. It will make a lot of noise." Cue whoops.

But the whooping wasn't over. Far from it. Next, Bill Trinen joined Miyamoto on stage to show off Super Smash Bros Melee. This offers an insight on who are the most popular Nintendo characters as the volume of whoops change depending on who is on screen. This is how it went:

Mario: No whoops

Link: No whoops

Kirby and Pikachu: Laughter

Peach: Huge whoops and claps

Donkey Kong: No whoops

Samus: Whoops and even a few screams

Yoshi: Laughter

Ice Climbers: No whoops, although they get a clap later on

Captain Falcon: No whoops

Kirby: No whoops

Pikachu: No whoops

Sheik: Respectful applause

Fox McCloud: No whoops

Ness: Little whoop from the hardcore

So there you have it. Samus Aran is the most popular Nintendo character.

Previous 1 2 3 Next page

Comments

1. NintyHippo Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 15:53

"Posted by Thomas East on 1st Jan 1970"

These articles are great and interesting. Keep them coming!

2. hunter metroid Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 16:04

it also says N64 on the home page rather than gamecube

3. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 16:06

"Posted by Thomas East on 1st Jan 1970"

These articles are great and interesting. Keep them coming!

What's so strange about that? It is 1970, isn't it?

4. NintyHippo Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 16:08

No, it's not.

5. vtheyoshi Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 16:09

Gamecube is the greatest console ever.

6. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 16:25

No, it's not.

Well this is awkward... I could have sworn it was 1970.

7. tomonm Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 16:26

Technical issue. Bear with us!

8. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 16:27

Technical issue. Bear with us!

But it IS 1970!!

9. ledreppe Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 16:28

This has got me all pumped for E3 next week!

10. NintyHippo Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 17:11

Technical issue. Bear with us!

But it IS 1970!!

Well then how come everything else says 2012?

11. TaskOfMajora Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 18:13

Cheers Tom.

Well I dont know what to say really. It's all so amazing seeing this that I'm a bit tounge tied!

Certainly I cannot wait until E3 next month (is it really that soon!) and I actually ended up watching all of these videos (save part 1)...Best E3 ever! Seriously If I had the credit to watch every E3 back to back right now then I would.

I CANT WAIT UNTL E3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. TaskOfMajora Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 18:14

Cheers Tom.

I CANT WAIT UNTL E3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. CDS Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 19:41

Next week. E3 2012. Whoop!
    And I loved the Gamecube so much that I still want the legacy of it to continue. But as an HD console, and in red!
    So, while the WiiU is far from that, maybe they could remake games for it instead and put them in a special Gamecube section. Shame about not being able to plug in Gamecube controllers into the WiiU.

Anyway, back to topic, I still own quite a few games and quite recently bought another game for it at Telford MCM. I lost quite a few games when I sold it as I knew the Wii would have back-compatibility with Gamecube. How I miss that Purple Box though! From that, I lost the console itself, a memory card, a controller, and about five or six games, half of which I have reclaimed . And I only got about Ł20 from it.
    But I still play the games quite a lot and some that are just relics that are played occasionally .
    The game I have regretted most for getting rid of though was Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. Have hunted everywhere for it! And the online prices are ridiculous.

14. craig134 Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 01:19

nice

15. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 08:21

"Posted by Thomas East on 1st Jan 1970"

My name is Tom East. I had a technical issue, and I woke up in 1970. Am I mad, in a coma, or back in time? Whatever's happened, I've still got to run a Nintendo website. Now, maybe if I can work out the reason, I can get home... and play Mario Kart.

16. Pyron12 Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 15:46

1970 Citizen: What's this Mario kart and Nintendo website you are talking about? Computer's are really chunky and can't run games in this year. I'll make sure you get a doctor ok?

17. NintyHippo Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:17

Doctor at your service.

18. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:25

But it IS 1970!!

Well then how come everything else says 2012?

Because everyone in the world has been transported to the future except me. It's still 1970.

Now it's 1971.

19. NintyHippo Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:27

If me and you are both in different times, then how are we on a forum together?

20. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:34

If me and you are both in different times, then how are we on a forum together?

This forum operates in two different time periods.

21. NintyHippo Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:36

Stop polluting my brain with false information.

22. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:39

Well, I was also born in 2016 ( AD ) and am from the stone age.

23. samus_killer Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:41

Xenobladeperson and NintyHippo take whatever nonsense you two are babbling on about elsewhere instead of spamming the thread idiotically.

Anyway, woah! How young do Iwata and Bill look? Made me chuckle, I forget how long they've been around, really.

I just love how intimate the show felt compared to what it is today. You can hear each individual reaction on the games as they're revealed. Loving how many cheers and woops everytime Samus appeared.

I do kind of miss these days. Back then I never saw any footage of E3, especially live streams. You had to wait every month for the new issue of NGC for the editor (think his name was Tom... something ;) ) to reveal the games and how awesome they were. I did love that anticipation of receiving the June/July issue through the post or down my local Tesco and just laying my eyes upon the cover. "Oooo a new Mario Kart, a new Smash Bros, Metroid... Prime, what's that? Sounds pretty cool".

I could go on and reminisce forever, you just don't get that these days. Admittedly it is rather sweet to watch it all live and to see how much bigger the shows get every year.

24. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:42

I'm not making an entire thread for such a small subject. Nintyhippo can if he wants, but it WILL be locked.

25. NintyHippo Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:45

I'm sorry. :(

26. Rai13 Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:49

This won't be locked if you both remain on topic. So quietly take anything else to the relevant thread, or PMs, cheers.

27. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:51

That's fine, I've stopped anyway. Also, I didn't know you could lock articles.

28. Rai13 Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:54

Let's test?

Evidently I can.

29. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:56

That's fine, I just didn't know. It hasn't happened in the past. I've only been on the forums a few months.

30. The_BAAD_Man Thursday 31st May 2012 at 10:19