Zelda 2 coming to the 3DS eShop

Japan getting The Adventure Of Link next week

Japanese 3DS owners will be able to download Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link next week when Nintendo's NES adventure arrives on the eShop.

The follow up to The Legend Of Zelda was one of the NES games made available for 3DS ambassadors but from June 6th, all Japanese gamers will be able to download it.

If you've never played Zelda 2 before, you should know that it is unlike any other game in the series. Released in Europe in 1988, it is a 2D adventure with RPG elements. The top-down overworld was merely a hub as Link wandered to the 2D dungeons and towns, attempting to place crystals in palaces in a bid to awaken Zelda.

That said, it is the first game in which you could talk to other characters and there are side-quests to complete.

Zelda 2
Zelda 2
Are you hoping Zelda 2 will come to the UK soon?

[ Source: Andriasang ]

Comments

1. NintyHippo Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 12:48

I have it because I'm a 3DS Ambassador, and I don't like it.

2. zaine02 Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 12:49

where is this weeks 3DS store list of games?

3. NintyHippo Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 12:57

where is this weeks 3DS store list of games?

4. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 13:02

I have it,and it's okay.

5. alexkinch Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 13:40

I want the update so i can get the restore point and do the last dungeon.

6. Redfish20 Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 14:08

I want to like it but I lack the patience. Especially when faced with those boomerang wielding monsters.

7. I Am Error Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 14:18

I have it and I have to say i wasn't expecting what I saw when I first booted it up :? Its one of the more disappointing titles in my opinion but I'm sure others might love it! :P

8. Diddy ZX Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 14:54

If I didn't already have it due to being an Ambassador, I would pick this up. I do love Zelda II - it's one of the only two titles in the series that I like (the other one being the original).

9. Pyron12 Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 15:16

*frowns*
    You know Ninty said that there were no plans for the ambassador games to be released. Well that is whats sort of happening. Do those with Ambassadorship have higher quality NES and GBA games than the eShop releases? :?

10. Diddy ZX Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:02

I'm afraid they didn't say that: They only ever said that there are no plans to make the GBA Ambassador titles available for purchase in the future.

Anyway, no, there is no difference that I'm aware of - in fact, the NES titles are only being updated to get full Virtual Console features as they're hitting the eShop (so many still don't have said features). Those were more like a not-quite-polished preview release, many months in advance. :P

11. hunter metroid Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:03

*frowns*

nintendo only said that it was only the GBA games that will not be released to the public and the ambassadors got the proity versions of the nes games which only had controls in the manual and no restore point

12. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:17

This is the worst ever Zelda - don't get it. It's also the hardest. Besides, I've got the ambassdor release already.

13. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:19

Wait, you like Zelda II, but not Ocarina, Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword? A lot of people would disagree with that, but everyone has their own opinions, I suppose.

14. eroslanith Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:20

I didn't like this game when I first played it several years ago but now I've had another go I really enjoyed it. It's worth a go for any Zelda fan who wants a challenge.

*frowns*

Ambassador games don't have all the features the newer releases have. In saying that you can download the updated version from your download list in the eShop so everyone has the same version in the end anyway. Also Nintendo has no plans to release GBA games currently (from their statementment after the 3DS pricedrop). This could easily change. They always had plans to release the NES games.

15. Diddy ZX Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 16:38

Correct. I just do not find any of the polygonal Zelda games to be any fun whatsoever (I have exactly the same issues with them as I have with Super Mario 64 and its descendants). I personally find them to be uninteresting, and sparse on enemies and action, with the only extant challenge being forcing myself to trudge through them - this is thrown into sharp relief when compared to how much I enjoy the original two games. It certainly saves me plenty of money, since I have no reason to bother with them.

Thanks very, very much for respecting my opinion - I've lost count of the number of extremely rude gamers I've encountered who are completely incapable of doing that. :P Much respect to you for not being like one of those!

16. Issun2765 Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 17:00

Yay! Restore points! I am an ambassador and this is tough as macedamia nuts so the restore points WILL help.

17. NintyHippo Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 17:08

I know. Restore Points were the only reason I completed Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Land.

18. thenintendoer Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 17:47

it seems that im the only person on these forums that likes this game a true unappreciated gem

19. Diddy ZX Wednesday 30th May 2012 at 17:51

You're not the only one, thenintendoer! :D

I can still remember the tales of how there were shortages of this game in the US at the time of its release, even. (This didn't occur in the UK due to the Sega Master System being the dominant-by-far 8-bit console, but it was well-regarded by folks I knew and knew of, even so.)

20. Violet Thursday 31st May 2012 at 02:52

Zelda II was one of the last Zelda games I completed, and it's certainly the hardest, but it is by no means a bad game or even the worst in the series. It's unique, and the battle system is very involved; the system it uses for battles is most like Ocarina of Time or even Skyward Sword, in that it's about focused swordplay. Every enemy is a danger. It's a lot harder, but once you learn to watch the enemy's movements and level up it gets a lot easier as you go along. Everything from the second to third dungeon is painfully difficult, however, Death Mountain and the blue Iron Knuckles are nightmarish.

It has some distinct flaws, like the lives and health system is unforgiving (mainly due to no Hearts from enemies, and instant death from falling into water or lava) but it's worth playing all the way through anyway as it has some great puzzles and is very rewarding if you stick it out.

Unfortunately, it's better on a big screen, because it's much easier to tell where an enemy's attack is coming from (high or low). On a small screen it's a bit more difficult.

21. CraigEmberson Thursday 31st May 2012 at 08:00

I have it because I'm a 3DS Ambassador, and I don't like it.

Don't worry, as much of a classic as it is - I don't like it either but I appreciate the effort they must have put into making it. Zelda doesn't suit side-scrolling, especially when it's as tough as it is and too hard (I'm an advanced gamer as well and 2D games are a nightmare for my modern brain lol).

22. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 31st May 2012 at 08:10

Just sayin', I completed this*. Hell yeah.

*(Via the 3DS Ambassador Priority version, not the original NES cartridge. I'm not that awesome. I'm still pretty awesome though.)

23. Pyron12 Thursday 31st May 2012 at 18:19

*facepalm* I didn't say the GBA Ambassador were going to be released.
    Anyway why does a Japanese VC release concern us? It won't unless we have a JP 3DS!

24. Diddy ZX Thursday 31st May 2012 at 19:09

*facepalm* I didn't say the GBA Ambassador were going to be released.

My apologies for misunderstanding you, but that was absolutely not clear from your post (which stated that Nintendo had said that none of the Ambassador titles would be released for purchase, which has never been so - and I sincerely apologise if I've misunderstood your wording again). Indeed, looking above, it seems that I'm not the only one who read it that way. ;)

25. MartinIsAwesome Friday 1st Jun 2012 at 09:58

Because a few months later those titles arrive on the European eShop. Its a nice indicator of what we can expect.