ZombiU impressions: A solid FPS with lots of touchscreen action

We play Ubisoft's undead shooter

ZombiU (formerly known as Killer Freaks) fills the same slot Red Steel occupied in the original Wii line-up: it's a solid FPS, desperate to show how in-touch it is with Wii U hardware.

And so we get touchscreen inventories (there's a Resi-like limit on space, so choose wisely between crossbows and cricket bats), touchscreen lock picking, touchscreen sniping and touchscreen location scanning. In short: touchscreen and lots of it.

Interestingly, the action on the top screen never pauses, instead switching to third person during your GamePad fumblings to reveal how close the undead horde is shuffling.

Loading video...

Asking eyes to be in two places at once is a cool technique, casting the GamePad as a cruel distraction where so many Wii U games see it as a cooperative buddy. I also like how death sees you respawn as a different survivor, letting you hunt down your now zombiefied old body in order to get your loot back. Smart.

Comments

1. MarioWalrus Wednesday 6th Jun 2012 at 09:18

the london setting interests me, i would like to shoot beefeaters please

2. vix_chan Wednesday 6th Jun 2012 at 09:33

This game basically ensures that I have a WiiU from launch.
    It looks so amazing and great game concept that when your character dies then your life is over and you start off with a new survivor.
    The thing that I really hope for this game is that it is in a sandbox where you can go and do whatever you want (follow the story or do your own thing)

3. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 6th Jun 2012 at 09:50

If they ever do a Wii U bundle with ZombiU included, the GamePad has to be in that survival kit box.
    I'm very interested in this. It was one of the more interesting parts in last night's show. I hope that it doesn't follow in Red Steel's footsteps by being a good idea poorly executed.

4. SteveSalmon999 Wednesday 6th Jun 2012 at 15:07

I really want this game!
    If Ubisoft can do a great job on this, i can see it shifting units 8)

5. thenintendoer Wednesday 6th Jun 2012 at 17:38

i like how if you die your character stays dead and you take the role of the new character anyway so far its looking good as long as the wii u pad doesnt become too gimmicky

6. Accelgor7 Wednesday 6th Jun 2012 at 19:30

Looks good. Great use of the Wii U tablet, Limited inventory and looking at two screens is going to make things tricky, but my characters will be able to pull through. I wonder if it will be a game with no actual ending and you just see if you can survive for a long time and maybe have an online leader board of the longest lasting characters and gamers.

7. Kirby8 Thursday 7th Jun 2012 at 02:31

I agree with what someone said previously...LOVING the London setting!

8. retrotoad Thursday 7th Jun 2012 at 09:10

its looking good as long as the wii u pad doesnt become too gimmicky

Exactly this. Hopefully the game itself will be good and it wont just rely on GamePad gimmicks.

9. ThePokekid78 Monday 23rd Jul 2012 at 16:35

I'm not sure about this whole 'one bite you're dead' thing...I mean, it's a great idea, no doubt about that, but I've a feeling it might jar the flow of the game. What I mean is that, lets say that you want to explore a big, open area of London and find some cool stuff, but instead you suddenly get bitten and have to go aaaaall the way back to where you were before you died, which will make it a very stop-start-stop-start game.
    You might just want to get on with some exploration or just shoot a load of zombies, but instead you're going to be frequently watching that loading screen where you respawn as a different character, and I think this will not make the game flow very well at all...

10. thecoolmana777 Wednesday 15th Aug 2012 at 07:37

Hopefully this will be a game to entice more 'hardcore' 360 and PS3 gamers into buying a wii u ,I am certainly sold