Best Nintendo Land games

Which ones will you be addicted to when Nintendo Land is released for Wii U?

Nintendo Land is best played with friends. Revealed during the Nintendo E3 2012 conference to an initial muted response, it really is, perhaps like the console itself, something you have to play around with to see how much fun it can be. Preferably with five players crowded around the television as the best Nintendo Land games are undoubtedly the ones in which you work together.

From Nintendo's point of view, you can see why they would think this was a winner, a game to really showcase not only what the console could do but also to appeal to their longtime fans. After all, Nintendo Land features their biggest names, including Zelda, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong and, erm, Takamaru.

There are 12 games in total and the only one we have yet to play are Captain Falcon's Twister Race, Yoshi's Fruit Cart and Octopus Dance but which are the best games we've played and which will you be addicted to when Wii U is released?

9. Takamaru's Ninja Castle

The weakest name in Nintendo Land is also the weakest game. Takamaru's Ninja Castle stands out from the crowd not only because it's based on a Japanese Famicom game that, aside from a sticker in Smash Bros Brawl and an appearance in Samurai Warriors 3, hasn't been seen since starring in Nazo no Murasame-jō, a Japanese-only samurai game. Next to the likes of Luigi, Link and Donkey Kong, his appearance seems slightly incongruous but this game has clearly been designed to show another way to use the Wii U GamePad.

As you may have seen in last year's tech demo, you hold the GamePad horizontally in one hand and flick ninja stars (AKA Shuriken) on the touchscreen with the other. Last year, you were firing them at trees but this time little ninjas are coming towards you and you have to point the GamePad at the screen to aim your Shuriken at them.

The GamePad is actually quite sensitive and it can be tricky at first to aim accurately. This isn't helped by the fact that you have to swipe quickly in order to fire rapidly in a straight line. Naturally you end up pressing down on the touchscreen that little bit harder to do this and this means you might move the GamePad as you do so and miss. And don't even think about just swiping as fast as you can as you are scored on your accuracy.

So not the simple introduction to the GamePad that you might think, then.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page

Comments

1. Accelgor7 Wednesday 13th Jun 2012 at 15:29

All of the games here look brilliant. The zelda game looks the best, though.
    First comment aswell!!!!!! :D :D

2. tomonm Wednesday 13th Jun 2012 at 15:29

Yes, I'm aware that this appears to have been posted in the year 9280

3. Dalekbuster523 Wednesday 13th Jun 2012 at 15:34

Why would chase MII be a Mario minigame? It sounds nothing like Mario.

4. NintyHippo Wednesday 13th Jun 2012 at 15:37

This looks great!

5. issun1412 Wednesday 13th Jun 2012 at 15:42

Why would chase MII be a Mario minigame? It sounds nothing like Mario.

The miis were dressed up a 4 toads and 1 mario
    Also, the metroid one could be battle mii

6. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 13th Jun 2012 at 15:53

Don't worry, I'm ignoring the year 9280 post.

7. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 13th Jun 2012 at 15:56

It looks like one of those games that you only play a few times after you buy it, get bored and let it gather dust on a shelf until friends come round and you get fed up with all the other games. Granted a couple of the multiplayer orientated minigames look rather fun, but you can only get the most out of them if you've got a full set of four Wii Remotes and two Gamepads, and five or six friends available at the same time. And with Wii Remotes costing 40 new and upwards of 15 second hand, God only knowing what a single Gamepad will cost (likely over 60), I don't think many people will be able to play this game to its full potential - although you could borrow a neighbour's remotes or ask a friend to bring theirs'. And even after that, once you've played each game once or twice, they will all seem rather unappealing.
    I can see this game selling, but not being particularly popular. It's going to be a bit like Wii Play, but not as engaging.

8. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 13th Jun 2012 at 17:34

Of the five revealed so far, I like the look of the Donkey Kong one the most. As seen in the E3 demo video, trying to tilt the GamePad just the right amount to clear the obstacle without crashing looks to be very intense!
    But then again, I also love the look of the rag-doll moblins in the Zelda game. In fact, It'd be interesting to see if they give Link the Epic Yarn treatmant in his next game. It's certainly be an outlandish alternative to the realistic vs cel-shaded discussion.

9. thenintendoer Wednesday 13th Jun 2012 at 18:15

ill admit it does look quite fun but it will probably be like wii sports in that it was played for a couple of weeks and then forgotten about by alot of people the only way i can imagine peopele experiencing this game is if it is a pack in with the console

10. superthingymabob Wednesday 13th Jun 2012 at 22:16

i don't really like the look of this. unless its bundled with the console, i probably won't get it

11. Redfish20 Wednesday 13th Jun 2012 at 23:00

The Zelda one actually sounds quite good.

The whole game sounds quite good to be fair, just not better than a lot of things which are already available.

12. taximadish Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 05:14

I'm really liking the look of this, but I'm not sure I'll get it unless, as other people have said, it's bundled with the Console.
    If not I'll be saving my cash for Pikmin 3 and hopefully Zelda HD :)

13. shy guy 64 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 09:45

it looks like it'll be fun

one thing though, you picked your top 5 based only on having played 5 of them?

14. myowlisdead Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 12:49

Hmm, well unlike the writer of the article I'm not sure that I'm gonna enjoy the multi-player mini-games the best. I'm not really much of a 'social gamer', and my family doesn't really have much time for videogames, so I'm really focussing on the single-player experiences. Donkey Kong's Crash Course looks really fun, and suitably sadistic, but apart from that I wish they had show more. I know Zelda Battle Quest can be played on your own, but I think that it has been designed mainly for multiple players.

Well, if it's bundled then I won't complain...but I'm a little hesitant about buying it.

15. olrodlegacy Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 13:18

I'll say it... it looks awful. Nintendo promised to satisfy the hardcore masses that it has ignored since the Cube, but instead they bring this, Sing and Wii Fit? The same gimmick won't work two generations in a row, innovation must be equalled by quality at some point.

16. starvigilante Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 14:35

My family enjoy multi-player games, in fact I remember the last Xmas it was my sister, brother, granddad and myself all playing Wii Party before dinner was ready. So, because of this, even if it is not bundled I will still buy this.
    It's all Nintendo's fault that I am a social gamer as well as a hardcore one now. :)

17. CyberGW Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 15:04

Really want to play the Animal Crossing one! It looks so fun!
    I do think the Zelda one looks really good though. Normally when games are like that, you always get people fighting to be a specific character but I really wouldn't mind in this. Sword fighting feels awesome and so does using a Bow & Arrow. Great!

18. hufmeister Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 17:33

Four Swords action with Miis-in HD?Clearly the standout of them all.

19. shadow.x Friday 15th Jun 2012 at 10:22

Zelda no doubt!!! :D

20. CraigEmberson Friday 15th Jun 2012 at 18:41

Oh dear, I know it's small but you broke one fundamental rule - HYRULEAN not HYRULIAN.

21. Waldy565 Saturday 16th Jun 2012 at 13:23

yes, im really excited about the zelda one as well, my fave! and i can see why people are dissapointed there are no HD mario or zelda in ninty land (im one of them) we're also missing the point: HD MIIS!!!

22. NSMB23DS Friday 10th Aug 2012 at 13:23

If I am to choose between NSMBU, Pikmin 3, or Nintendo Land, I would choose Nintendo Land...as the one I don't want at all.

23. MartinIsAwesome Friday 21st Sep 2012 at 14:59

I think Mario Chase does sound brilliant however if, like me, there are only two people playing it with one as Mario the other as Toad then I can't see it being as fun. Let's hope this game has online multiplayer.
    From the video footage and screenshots I've seen so far, I reckon that Metroid Blast may end up being my personal favourite.

24. tomonm Friday 21st Sep 2012 at 15:27

Nintendo Land doesn't have online multiplayer

25. bennyt Friday 21st Sep 2012 at 16:11

I like them all and I like how they all use the game pad in their own unique way but out of the ones shown, Zelda Battle Quest, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and Metroid have me the most excited.

Needs more Yoshi!!!

26. trigo Friday 21st Sep 2012 at 18:33

these games look great and very fun i thought the game was just going to be a chessy minigame thing but it acctually looks quuite good

27. jamesmushy1996 Friday 21st Sep 2012 at 20:57

great line up but would like to see more stand out nintendo names instead of takamaru. Why not pokemon (speaking as a fan.)

28. imbusydoctorwho Friday 21st Sep 2012 at 21:36

I think the Donkey Kong one looks boring.

29. Lego master Saturday 22nd Sep 2012 at 14:05

I like the look of Zelda quest, Mario chase, and Metroid blast.

30. Commandervideo Saturday 22nd Sep 2012 at 14:15

Sorry to be all negative but is it nessesary to have 9 pages.

But yeah Nintendo land should be fun

31. mrgameandwatch Saturday 22nd Sep 2012 at 20:02

wheres yoshi and (duh) mr game and watch? :?:
    well?
    (sigh)no one likes mr game and watch

32. Noog Sunday 23rd Sep 2012 at 21:18

Great post, guys! So glad I'm getting Nintendo Land with my Wii U. All of the games look excellent, but I can't wait to play Mario Chase and Metroid Blast With family and friends.

This may actually be my most anticipated Wii U game.

33. adamatsu Monday 24th Sep 2012 at 09:28

Mario Chase looks amazing, I hope it has LOOOADS of stages to pick from!!

34. Mario1812 Sunday 30th Sep 2012 at 15:41

This looks AWESOME! My favourite game I've seen so far is Mario Chase or Metroid Blast. They're gonna be a metroid BLAST! (See what i did there?) :D

35. CptMidget Monday 1st Oct 2012 at 16:33

I'm gonna try to play the multiplayer games with my family as we don't do anything together and this game will hopefully bring closer together.