Why Pokemon Black and White 2 snubbed 3DS

Junichi Masuda explains why Game Freak decided to stick with DS for the sequel

Game Freak Director Junichi Masuda has explained why Pokemon Black and White 2 is coming to DS rather than 3DS.

Game Freak surprised everyone when they announced Pokemon Black and White 2. Not only as it's the first time there has been a numbered sequel in the series but also because, unlike Nintendo's other big franchises, it is coming to the old DS rather than 3DS.

Speaking during the latest Iwata Asks ahead of the Pokemon Black and White 2 release date, Masuda said that the games are coming to the DS rather than the 3DS because there Game Freak wanted to make a sequel set in the same world.

Clearly, they wouldn't have stopped them from making a Pokemon Black and White 2 3DS game but it seems that Game Freak are thinking of the fans who only own a DS and want to play the sequel to Pokemon Black and White.

As for the reasons why Game Freak decided to make two games rather than the usual director's cut, the company wanted to surprise fans who would have been expecting the rumoured Pokemon Grey.

They also had an idea for these games which could not be implemented into one game. Interesting... Wonder what that is?

Of course, Game Freak are catering for 3DS owners with Pokemon Dream Radar, the game in which you can catch Pokemon for your copy of Pokemon Black and White 2.

[ Source: Andriasang ]

Comments

1. Serebii Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 09:25

A thing he didn't mention is online compatibility. Nintendo Network on 3DS and Nintendo WiFi Connection cannot communicate with eachother. An attempt to overcome it by having B2W2 work on the WiFiConnection if it was a 3DS game would have ended up being unintuitive and confusing the casual player

Besides, it's better for the switch to be at the start of a generation, not in the middle, so the game is built from the ground up for the 3DS rather than port the engine

2. TomMc92 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 09:34

I still don't think that's a good enough reason not to put it on 3DS. Pokemon is one of the best selling game series of all time i'm pretty sure if it came out on 3DS people would buy it and people who didn't have a 3DS would be more convinced to buy one just to play the new pokemon game. I believe he could of made the game so much better on 3DS just couldn't be bothered, i realise the demand for new pokemon games have always been high but taking his time with a 3DS version would of really paid off. i've always wanted to see a fully 3d pokemon game, I know those 2 gamecube games were 3d and they were great so there is no reason for them not to make them. But still after all that i am looking forward to the game.

3. King Slazo Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 09:38

Nah, he and Serebii are right, the impracticalities of setting two sequels on a different handheld to their predecessors far outweight the benefits. Plus this way they can refine the engine for Gen6 onwards games to work better on a 3DS.

4. shy guy 64 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 09:40

it was a bit daft to think it might come out on the 3ds, it was really unlikely

still, in about two years time it'll be genaration six and that should be on the 3ds

5. Pokerob Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 09:42

Serebii stole my lines (written better then I would've anyway!) so I don't really have much to say then if it was also on 3DS they would've made less sales, the DS has sold so many copies since release and this allows nearly any nintendo fan to get into pokémon again.

6. jaytee Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 10:14

i kinda expected these games to come out on normal ds and on another note reading this section made me kill a shiny elgyem! :cry:

7. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 10:53

I don't mind it being on the DS,it'll make quite a nice swansong for the handheld.

8. alexkinch Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 11:00

Oh well. The new apps on the 3ds that work with these games make up for it. Sob i miss the pokewalker!!!!

9. Jake 346 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 11:46

Not good enough.

10. metalgario Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 12:22

Interesting point Serebii as I did not know the online connection differences between DS and 3DS. Would that explain why so often I cut out of online games if my 3DS is trying to communicate with a DSi/XL opponent? (love the site BTW!!)

I still feel 3D elements could of been put into the first Black and White, so surprised the games don't offer a optional 3D mode in some areas in Black and White 2.

I look forward to the games release as I have toiled arduously to get EV'd mon ready for some quality 3v3 battling later this year! :) I hope there are some improvements to online play and trading times. It was really difficult to transfer 486 pokemon to the new game.

11. leomckitten Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 13:04

Don't think that's true. If I get my 3DS and play an online game of Mariokart DS, it still works, right?

12. olrodlegacy Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 13:20

I can't get DS games to work online on my 3DS. Again, developers have given a positive press conference to glaze over the fact that they're neglecting Nintendo's new handheld.

13. King Slazo Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 13:27

DS games use NWC, 3DS games use NN. The point is, if BW2 were 3DS games, then you'd have to accomodate both DS to 3DS communications, and NWC to NN ones, along with BW1 users wondering why their game had a more restricted set of Internet options. Basically, its far simpler for both the developers and the users, to keep Gen5 on DS.

14. NintyHippo Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 14:27

It would have been better on 3DS, but it doesn't really matter.

15. Pyron12 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 15:10

Will people buy a 3DS? If someone doesn't buy a 3DS and has a DSi XL then they can't play Gen 6 games. And will there even BE a Gen ?

Yes and no because most modern day connections aren't compatible with Old DS games (Except Black and White as far as I know) So if you played MKDS on a 3DS you use the MKDS wi-fi settings not the 3ds settings.

16. CyberGW Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 15:23

It certainly makes more sense to have the sequels to a game on the same console. Completely see where they're coming from.
    It has 3DS features as well so I'm more than happy. I think the remakes of Ruby and Sapphire will and should be on 3DS though.

17. Pyron12 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 15:30

But Super Pokemon Rumble was a direct sequel of the WiiWare version!
    Pokemon Emerald 3D ftw!

18. King Slazo Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 15:37

...what on Earth are you talking about?

If you didn't buy a GBA, you couldn't play Gen3. If you didn't buy a DS, you couldn't play Gen4 or Gen5. If you don't buy a 3DS, you won't be able to play Gen6. That's just... how gaming works. Buy a new system to play the new games. It just happens in this case its easier to give the old system a last hoorah than do minimal 3DS upgrades.

And of course there'll be a Gen6. Pokémon is Nintendo's #1 moneymaker, especially in the handheld department.

19. Commandervideo Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 15:57

I'd rather see a completely new proper pokemon (GEN 6) game on 3DS first instead of a remake/sequel

20. Gamerinari Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 17:28

I thought it just made sense, since B/W 2 still count as part of gen V, and not gen VI, of course it would still be on the DS. Well, that's one theory going out the window to land on some unfortunate kid's head. It's their own fault for standing there in the first place...

21. laytonluke911 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 18:12

Surely if it had been on 3ds though, people would buy the console by the truckload just to play pokémon. I know my brother would and so would all his friends. That is about 5 or 6 times the money of one copy of the game. And many people such as myself already have a 3ds so would buy it anyway. Excuses, excuses.

22. berniemad Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 20:09

As a sequel, I think it does work best on the same platform. But that means we can hope for a pokemon 3D.

23. fisher2007 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 21:56

Not good enough.

24. Amidamaru Friday 15th Jun 2012 at 08:23

I am actually rolling my eyes at some of these comments. B&W 2 are like HG & SS they are fillers, Nintendo are making you look this way while they are working on a 3DS pokémon that's why they aren't releasing them in 3D, plus it makes sense, why switch to 3D half way through the story?

25. shadow.x Friday 15th Jun 2012 at 10:10

It doesnt make much of a difference when you have both a DS or 3DS. But I might get an XL just to play this haha. Black & White looked pixelated on my 3DS :|

26. keir Friday 15th Jun 2012 at 16:04

Well I hope the next pokemongame comes out for 3DS but for the rellese date could be the 27th of July :!:

27. CraigEmberson Friday 15th Jun 2012 at 18:35

You really don't get how business works, do you? It's not all about us, they have to make their money and make sure they don't risk losses - not at this point when the cons of putting it on 3DS outweigh the pros.

28. Amidamaru Saturday 16th Jun 2012 at 12:42

Yh this is also the reason, it's cheap for them to to it on ds, they aren't making that many changes, if the did on on 3ds they would have to re write the entire game.

29. Serebii Saturday 16th Jun 2012 at 13:06

Yes it does, but it connects to the Nintendo WiFi Connection. The online services are determined by the game, not the console. If it's a DS game, it will be Nintendo WiFi Connection. If it's a 3DS game, it will be the Nintendo Network. This is how it works.