Miyamoto would like to make a first-person shooter

But he doesn't have time!

He is associated with cartoon plumbers and elf-like adventurers but Shigeru Miyamoto would like to make a first-person shooter. Only problem is, he doesn't have time to do it!

Speaking with Kotaku, Miyamoto said: "I actually do kind of want to make a first-person shooter, but I don't have time."

But what kind of shooter would it be? A violent blaster like ZombiU or an epic space adventure such as Metroid Prime?

Well, it seems that he favours exploration. "Rather than necessarily the question of 'What kind of weapon do I have?' in a first person shooter or 'What kind of effect does that have on an enemy?', I think that the structure of a first-person shooter is something that's very interesting," added Miyamoto.

"Having that 3D space that in theory you are in and being able to look around and explore that-particularly being able to do that in conjunction with another person-is very interesting."

Don't expect Miyamoto to make a first-person shooter any time soon. After all, he is busy with Pikmin 3, games based on Nintendo's traditional franchises and his hyped as-yet-unannounced new game.

Would you like Nintendo to make time for Miyamoto to create a first-person shooter.

Comments

1. ledreppe Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 10:27

Presumably he's seen the sales success of FPS's like COD on rival consoles, and wants to steal some of its thunder for the WiiU.

2. Joe_Crow Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 10:31

That would be great. It'd be very interesting to see what Miyamoto could come up with. We've never really seen anything like that from him before.

3. danbish Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 10:37

Wow! Didn't see that one coming! I'm starting to imagine Miyamoto making one now that would probably re-write how to make all FPS's like he's done with practically every other genre. I hope this comes to fruition in the future!

4. Georgeisamazing Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 10:42

.YES I THINK IT WOULD BE MIND BLOWING ._.
    :!:

5. Yoshifan007 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 11:35

>metroid
    >fps

6. Redfish20 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 11:49

That would be awe-some! I do generally enjoy fps' but it does get a bit tiresome when each level is exactly the same and the whole game is the same as every other fps except half the game is missing and you have to pay to download more levels which are exactly the same. In short I think my problem is with the companies which make fps' rather than the genre itself.

7. Dan-the-Wii-man Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 12:10

SOMEBODY MAKE IT SO HE'S NOT BUSY!!! Miyamoto FPS would be amazing!!

8. ThePunnyGuy Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 12:30

I was actually thinking about this a while back, and I think a Nintendo themed FPS would be awesome. By that, I mean do to the FPS genre what Smash Bros did to the fighting genre. You could have all sorts of Nintendo themed weapons (the Super Scope, the Fairy Bow, the Cracker Launcher, etc). I'd be all for it.

9. shy guy 64 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 13:01

>metroid
    >fps

metroid isnt really an fps its an adventure series a few of witch have been in fist person

10. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 13:27

Miyamoto doesn't have time to make a first-person shooter, but if he did, it'd probably be the best first-person shooter shooter in the world.

11. NintyHippo Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 14:28

Get time!

12. CyberGW Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 15:17

It's a shame he doesn't have the time. He could really add a lot into the genre, and make a unique game unlike the constant roll out of CODs.

13. starvigilante Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 15:32

I dislike the FPS genre, but I am intrigued by the possibility of what Miyamoto could do with it.

14. thenintendoer Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 18:04

how about a mariopaintball title :)

15. Commandervideo Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 20:24

THIS!

and afterall didn't Miyamoto want Ocarina of time to be first person, so he's had an interest in FP for over a decade then

16. mercury9 Thursday 14th Jun 2012 at 20:36

Unless it's better than Battlefield 3 he best stick to platformers! :shock:

17. Xikelle Friday 15th Jun 2012 at 17:08

...I'm guessing that the new IP isn't an FPS then...unless it's too early to say...
    Yes, I would think that it could be interesting indeed, definitely something that I would take an interest in if it came about.
    Generally I am not very keen on FPS's, if he did end up changing what is expected from the genre by making an FPS, that may change that as well as being extremely interesting. It's generally nice to have the genres shaken up with some unpredictability.
    I think that exploration is an aspect of gaming that really appeals to me.

Unless it's better than Battlefield 3 he best stick to platformers! :shock:

...Now I know that there is disagreement over Zelda being an RPG or action-adventure, but a platformer? That's a new one.

18. mercury9 Friday 15th Jun 2012 at 23:23

I think that exploration is an aspect of gaming that really appeals to me.

Unless it's better than Battlefield 3 he best stick to platformers! :shock:

It's pretty obvious what I'm referring to... :shock:

19. Xikelle Saturday 16th Jun 2012 at 08:03

It's pretty obvious what I'm referring to... :shock:

Yeah, I was just pointing out that those aren't the only games that he's known for making that are critically-acclaimed.
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, just trying to make my point clear.

20. hamzahdsi Saturday 16th Jun 2012 at 10:04

Most of the time it goes like this:
    Nintendo+FPS= FAIL

21. OHJOY90 Saturday 16th Jun 2012 at 17:47

I would be cool if he could make a good first-person shooter but I think he should focus on what he's currently doing such as Mario and Zelda, maybe when he's already finished a few of them for the WiiU he can refocus his efforts on this idea, which would be really cool if it succeeds. Imagine a game with a similar gameplay to Metroid Prime where you play as Toad sneaking through Bowser's Castles to rescue Peach. Or maybe a more realistic TimeSplitter-esque game where you have to through realworld or Sci-Fi environments to save mankind. Either would be pretty cool.

22. masamune Saturday 16th Jun 2012 at 23:06

I'd love to see Miyamoto make a game in first-person, just to see his take on the viewpoint. Presumably it would be an action-adventure rather than a shooter; after all, he wanted Ocarina of Time to be in first-person at one point.

23. mercury9 Saturday 16th Jun 2012 at 23:47

Presumably it would be an action-adventure rather than a shooter

Well not really as he wants to make a FPS :shock:

24. masamune Sunday 17th Jun 2012 at 22:40

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The impression I got was that he was merely interested in the first-person viewpoint, which does have a lot of still untapped potential.

25. mercury9 Sunday 17th Jun 2012 at 23:15

If it was a FPS Zelda made in a similar vein to the Bethesda masterpiece Oblivion then I guess it could be potentially be awesome but will probably just be filled with balloons and happy clowns. You know, so they don't offend the kiddies and continue on alienating the core fans :shock:

26. master sword Monday 18th Jun 2012 at 08:44

Wel i do remember a while ago that Miyamoto said he'd like to make another game series (the last one being Pikmin) maybe it could be a first person game :)

27. TaskOfMajora Monday 18th Jun 2012 at 22:27

What a fantastic idea. And I honestly mean that. In fact, that sounds like exactly the sort of thing they'd do. Look at Nintendo Land on Wii U!