Best games of 2012 (so far)

How many have you got?

With Wii U being released before the end of the year and big 3DS games such as New Super Mario Bros 2, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Paper Mario: Sticker Star on the way, you could argue that the best games of 2012 are still to come. That said, from Kid Icarus Uprising to Beat The Beat: Rhythm Paradise, there have been some amazing games released during the first six months of the year. Here are ONM's favourites so far.

10. Heroes Of Ruin (3DS)

Loading video...

There's nothing else quite like Heroes Of Ruin on 3DS. A huge online co-op hack n slasher, you've got to admire its ambition even if it looks a bit rough around the edges.

You choose from one of four character classes before customising your warrior and joining your fellow fighters for a series of quests which have you taking out enemies, looting and bumping up that XP.

The characters which include the brilliantly named Vindicator, a beast appropriately called Savage, the Gunslinger (nuff said) and the magic Alchitect are all fun to play with and you'll working together to slay the enemy when playing online with friends.

Cool, enjoyable and addictive, Heroes Of Ruin is a treat if you can put up with the dodgy presentation.

Read our Heroes Of Ruin review for more.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page

Comments

1. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 16:53

I've got 5: The Last Story, VVVVVV, Rhythym Thief, Resi Revelations and Kid Icarus.

I disagree with the list, it should be:
    1 Kid Icarus
    2 The Last Story
    3 Metal Gear Solid 3D
    4 Resident Evil Revelations
    5 VVVVVV
    6 Rhythm Thief

Rhythm thief is NOT better than The Last Story.

2. CyberGW Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 17:00

I've got Rhythm Thief and Kid Icarus Uprising. KIU is certainly the best.
    I did love Rhythm Thief though, still go on it occasionally to replay the best rhythm games.

3. mog96 Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 17:12

Hmmm, well i've bought and played all these games, but my list would have to be this (only taking the games here into consideration:
    1. Kid Icarus:Uprising
    2.Last story
    3. Resident Evil
    4. VVVVV
    5. Rhythm thief
    6. Heroes of Ruin
    7. Inzuma Eleven 2
    8. Beat The Beat: Rhythm Paradise
    9. Mario party 9
    10. Mario tennis open

Don't get me wrong, i love mario games, but I have played all mario part games with friends and family, completed this and sadly I found it boring, but fun with friends. Mario tennis open, sadly felt pretty bad I was expecting more.

Admittedly not the biggest RPG fan around, but I do like the odd one :), so last story was pretty damn sweet trying to get all the endings now, VVVVV played it on pc and 3DS, but Kid Icarus, hangs down the best game on the 3DS (not including ocarina of time >.<)

4. TheNUKEnukeM Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 17:12

Ive played two off them, Kid Icarus and Resident Evil.
    Have to say Resi is better than Kid Icarus, because Resident Evil is fast paced how ever they still strategy involved. Are you running out of bullets. No, Shoot to kill or take a couple of steps back to buy your self time. Yes, then you either have to decide to run or get out genesis. If you run are you going to run back, or are you going to try to dodge the enemies or run into if available space. If you get out genesis are you going to scan the enemies in the hope that you get enough scanned to secure you a green herb and then run or our you going to quickly see what else in the room you can find. Often they enemies fall on you from the ceiling or pop out at you. Then you have to work quickly and use your reflexes. The game punishes you for not staying focused. You need to stay sharp to survive. It manages to get the speed and game play of resi 4 and smash with the horror of the first games. The controls are perfect for a shooter and still allow room for exploration- Something that kid Icarus needed.

5. hammster Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 17:21

1. Kid Icarus:Uprising
    2.Last story
    3. Resident Evil
    4. VVVVV
    5. Rhythm thief
    6. Heroes of Ruin
    7. Inzuma Eleven 2
    8. Beat The Beat: Rhythm Paradise
    9. Mario party 9
    10. Mario tennis open

How come Beat the Beat beat (oh god) Mario Party & Tennis? Presumably, you haven't played it?

Edit: also from what I've played...

1. Kid Icarus
    2. VVVVVV
    3. Rhythm Thief
    4. Resident Evil

All of them are awesome though!

6. SunnyIsland Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 18:01

I haven't played all of the games so I can't judge them all, but I agree with Kid Icarus being no.1 so far. According to Amazon, Beat the Beat isn't even out yet so I'm wondering if is should be on the list... I personally think Theatrhythm Final Fantasy looks far more interesting anyway (and funnily enough they release on the same day, so I would replace Beat the Beat with Theatrhythm). I didn't really like Rhythm Thief, but that's my own opinion.

So this is my top 5, since I haven't played them all:

1. Kid Icarus: Uprising
    2. Resident Evil Revalations
    3. The Last Story
    4. VVVVV
    5. Inazuma Eleven 2

7. Herbert_Rarr Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 18:07

I own none of these games and I don't intend to.

8. NintyHippo Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 18:12

I've got two but right now I'm on the eShop to get VVVVVV, and I hope to get Inazuma Eleven 2 and Mario Party 9 sometimes.

9. Aces High Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 18:38

Boy do I love a list...!!

Mmm, my top 5 games of the year so far are:

1. Kid Icarus Uprising
    2. VVVVVV
    3. Rhythm Thief & the Emperors Treasure
    4. Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise
    5. Speedthru: Potzol's Puzzle

Crush3D, Mutant Mudds, Colors! 3D, and Art of Balance Touch narrowly miss the cut.

10. Pichu10585 Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 19:40

Mario Party is meant to be played with friends.

Pretty much agree with this list, though.

11. Joshuabell11 Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 19:54

Resident Evil how is that evn on there, anyway rhythm thief was 100,000,000 times better (but then again that's just me, I HATE resident evil games

12. OrangeRakoon Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 20:00

It's by far The Last Story for me, one of my favourite RPGs and even one of my favourite games of all time (I'd only place Skies of Arcadia above it for RPGs, I think). That and VVVVVV, and possibly Kid Icarus because I haven't played it but I hear great things, are the only games here I'd say are the top level of games/future classics.

13. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 20:41

Is Beat the Beat even out yet?

14. fisher2007 Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 21:13

I own two from that list and they are Kid Icarus: Uprising and Resident Evil Revalations

15. superthingymabob Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 21:28

WHERE IS FARMING SIMULATOR 2012 3D?!?!?!?!?!
    WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!?!

16. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 22:05

I got 7 of the 10 games,which are:
    The Last Story
    Kid Icarus Uprising
    Heroes of Ruin
    Mario Tennis Open
    Mario Party 9
    Rhythm Thief
    Resident Evil Revelations.
    And I'm hoping to get Beat the Beat when it's released next week.

Here's my top 10 games of 2012,so far.
    1.The Last Story
    2.Kid Icarus Uprising
    3.Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater 3D
    4.Resident Evil Revelations
    5.Rhythm Thief
    6.Pandora's Tower
    7.Lego Batman 2
    8.Mario Party 9
    9.PokePark 2 Wonders Beyond
    10.Back to The Future the Game

The Last Story should have been higher,and Metal Gear Solid should be in there instead of the Limited Mario Tennis Open.

17. mercury9 Tuesday 26th Jun 2012 at 23:20

I know it's not out yet but best 2012 game for me will be Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. Best game I've played in a long, long time and a pleasant change from all the bland brown, gun toting steroid pumped nonsense that surrounds us all.

I fell in love with it as soon as I was aware of it and I just adore it. :)
    Thumbs up from me for having FF8 represented in the demo. FF8 is in my opinion, the best. 8)

18. Havak Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 00:01

This list makes me realise how bad of a year this has been for gaming so far.

Bring on Black/White 2, Paper Mario, and the Wii U.

19. Meta Kyurem Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 02:53

Why is Pokemonm Conquest not on the list? It should be number 6 or 5!

20. torterratrainer Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 06:59

I have revelations and kid icarus but.... Kid icarus desrves to go down another notch as although its story is deep and has a brilliant campaign - the multiplayer feels rushed as theres no means of progression just killing winning and bagging 200 hearts ( which is not even that much)

21. torterratrainer Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 07:01

oh forgot a list.

1.Monster hunter 3G (even though japan only it will remain there until 4 comes out)
    2.Resident evil revelations
    3.Kid icarus uprising.

havnt played the rest so u decide

22. danbish Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 09:09

Do you know what's becoming really annoying ONM? Copying the same trick that CVG does - in articles like this, splitting the top ten games over 10 different pages without the need to. You never used to do it and have only started to since you got this new website. It's really annoying and I'm sure it's just so we have to stare at a fresh load of adverts. :evil:

23. legend1992 Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 10:43

At the moment, I have both Kid Icarus Uprising (still my #1 even after finishing the story not too long ago!) and RE Revelations, which I have only just started last week. I don't have The Last Story yet, though, but I plan to get it - I'm just holding out for now until I find a good deal for the Limited Edition.

24. gmundy Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 12:07

I only own two of these games Kid Icarus Uprising and Hereos of Ruin and they are both extremely good games! I can sort of see why Colors! 3D isn't on there as it is not technically a game but it is definetly my favourite eshop app yet!

25. Dalekbuster523 Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 13:06

What about Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic games 3DS? That game's great fun.

26. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 13:37

That game was a huge disappointment,while it was a fun game to pick up and play for a a quick 5 minuets,it was nowhere near as good as the Olympic Winter games on DS.
    The game was limited,and rather average at the end of the day.

27. sonicR.O.B Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 13:44

NO WAY!!! i remember VVVVVV as a game my older bro would play. of corse he woldnt let me touch the controller let alone go within its air space :lol:

28. Pyron12 Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 15:17

Why is Pokemon Conquest not on the list? It should be number 6 or 5!

Not out yet so they can't put it on the list.
    KIU deserves No.1

29. KirbyKoolAid Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 16:28

VVVVVV is epic. All 20 trinkets got and now I feel EPIC!

30. hamzahdsi Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 17:50

Metal Gear Solid 3D
    Mario Kart 7

31. issun1412 Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 18:10

I own none of these games and I don't intend to.

RECONSIDER NOW. KIU is only about 20 at most and is a great game

32. RainbowGazelle Wednesday 27th Jun 2012 at 18:43

My only gripe with this list is that The Last Story should be much higher .

33. spacemen13 Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 14:42

You shouldn't of made this, some unique classic will pop out of nowhere sometime in 2012.

34. sarah1103 Friday 29th Jun 2012 at 15:39

Resident Evil Revelations is amazing and deserves to be in the list. My first ever Resi game that has got me hooked. Raid mode is perfect when I want a quick stress reliever,

35. Xenobladeperson Friday 29th Jun 2012 at 19:51

Mario Kart 7

Mario Kart came out in Dec 2011.

36. magvideogames Saturday 30th Jun 2012 at 12:23

This is my list.

1. The Last Story
    2. Resident Evil Revelations
    3. Mario Party 9
    4. Lego Batman 2
    5. Heros of Ruin
    6. Kid Icarus Uprising
    7. Rhythm thief
    8. Pandora's Tower
    9. Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater 3D
    10. Inzuma Eleven 2

37. PureAwesomeness Saturday 30th Jun 2012 at 17:33

KI:U first, but that's no surprise. It's a great game and an awesome comeback for Pit.
    This is my list (1-5, because I haven't been playing many videogames this year, regrettably)
    1. Kid Icarus: Uprising
    2. The Last Story
    3. Rhythm Thief
    4. Resident Evil: Revelations
    5. Pandora's Tower

38. Accelgor7 Saturday 30th Jun 2012 at 18:05

Got to love Kid Icarus! :D :D :D :D :D

39. Commandervideo Thursday 5th Jul 2012 at 21:19

1 Kid Icarus Uprising
    2 Bit trip complete
    3 VVVVVV
    4 Colors3D
    5 Mario Tennis open
    6 Inazuma11 2

I really want mutant mudds but can't find a hotsopt that works :(
    Inazuma11 2 isn't as good as the first because the story ain't as good
    Bit trip complete could easily of come first for me
    I'll probably get beat the beat tomorrow