Nintendo: No plans in near future for more 3DS models

3DS XL will be the only hardware update for the time being

Satoru Iwata has said that Nintendo has no plans in the near future to release more 3DS models beyond the 3DS XL.

Nintendo surprised everyone during Nintendo Direct last week when they announced 3DS XL but it seems that this will be the last hardware update for the time being as company president Iwata told investors that Nintendo have no plans to release new models in the near future.

Many fans believed Nintendo 3DS XL should have featured a second Circle Pad but Nintendo has a solution for those demanding an extra control stick with the 3DS XL Circle Pad Pro.

Would you like Nintendo to release another update of its 3DS console or are you happy with your current 3DS?

[ Source: Andriasang ]

Comments

1. reeesy Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 09:45

Thing is, if Nintendo had included the extra circle pad on the XL and upped the spec then it truly would be a kick in the teeth to existing 3DS owners. As it is though, its simply a bigger model. Personally, i struggle after a while with the small screen so I can't wait to get one, but if you really don't see the point in it or are happy with your normal 3DS then simply don't buy it. I don't see what all the fuss is about, Nintendo are just trying to attract new people to the system.

2. shy guy 64 Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 09:58

well there hardly going to have any plans when they've just made a new model

3. Silent Shuriken Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 10:02

Although i will be getting a 3DS XL anyway, didn't Miyamoto say in an interview that there would be no hardware revisions for the 3DS as he was happy with the console the way it is ?

I reckon Nintendo are holding back on a lot of info, there was an article on Nintendo about Mr Iwata or Reggie Fils Aime ( i can't remember who ) saying that the company is looking for the best ways to release info on upcoming games to Fans and Gamers...

Maybe that 'FAKE' Zelda Majoras Mask Wii U title is possibly real as well, Seems as though both pieces of info were leaked / published on the same day.... And with it looking sooooo real and accurate and well programmed, why no one has come forward to take the credit for this so called hoax is beyond me ? I would be putting myself out there with my head held up so high if i created that ( fingers crossed it is real ) :)

4. mirage 5x5 Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 10:38

That's what they said last time :lol:

5. retrotoad Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 10:55

That's not exactly reassuring. "In the near future", just means another wont be announced for a little while.

6. NintyHippo Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 11:05

I'm happy with my 3DS.

7. Tanooki101 Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 12:40

I already have a 3DS, so there is no point

8. OrangeRakoon Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 12:59

As long as they release a new model for when a new 3DS Zelda comes out, I'll be happy.

9. masamune Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 12:59

i presume 'near future' means 'six months'

10. wooden spoon Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 14:28

I'm happy with my current but will probably get an XL at some point, perhaps when Animal Crossing is released. I'm personally not bothered about having a second circle pad. If Nintendo does release another version in the future because they've improved it or have additional features then I'm all for it. There's no point in not taking advantage of advanceds in technology just because some fans will moan.

11. hamzahdsi Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 15:30

Please Nintendo, just shut up...dont give me this crap about "not making more 3DS models" because thats what you said when you first launched the 3DS that ended up.

12. dannyyyy Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 15:48

I bet they're planning one this very second.

13. mysticmuppet Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 15:49

I don't see why everyone is complaining. Most technology nowadays gets revamped yearly, Phones, MP3 players, TV's Computers. I know that this hasn't been the way gamer tech has worked in the past, but if these companies want to stay in the business they need to take advantage of faster, tech development, research and production.
    If your happy with your current model, no need to upgrade simply as that, when it dies upgrade. I don't see the need to complain at Nintendo for doing there job, i.e. trying to give us a better gaming experience.

14. Cidiyance Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 16:09

They said that last year and look what we have here!

15. 1steagle Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 16:58

well there hardly going to have any plans when they've just made a new model

well apple had made plans for better models even before the previous ones came out :roll:

16. trigo Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 18:20

i am happy with my current 3ds but were is the secound control stick, after all the mettings you'd think they would've had put a secound one on there. but anyway i still love my 3ds

17. oyster18 Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 19:30

ARGH I held out for nintendo to release a better 3ds that had been tweaked but am not too keen on this new one either lol

18. GloverMist Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 19:45

They wouldn't have massively changed the original 3DS anyway because it would be a kick in the teeth for people like me who has one already. I personally wouldn't care if they had added an extra Circle Pad anyway because I a) never play games that need it, or b) am not left-handed!

19. tobes325 Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 19:58

Yeah I don't believe them they'll probably bring out a 3DS XXL and turn it into a home console for all we know now, I've kind of lost my faith in Nintendo's word at the moment as I remember when the 3DS first came out they said it would be the only model and they wouldn't have expansions of this generation. Turns out they lie.

20. Wii U Marry Mii Thursday 28th Jun 2012 at 20:10

I'm sorry to be a cynic but really? They said this when the original 3DS was released. Oh how strange they'd say it again just as a new models being released? They obviously weren't going to say 'oh yeah here's a new model of 3DS, but don't worry there'll be a newer better version next year. But you're welcome to spend more money on this version and then buy the later one!'.

21. RedBearLuX Friday 29th Jun 2012 at 11:07

Thing is a week before this was announced Miyamoto himself said there was no plans for another 3DS model... and a week later the XL appears now I find it very unlikely that Miyamoto, genuinely didn't know about the XL.

So at this point I take anything Nintendo is saying on the subject lightly.

22. imbusydoctorwho Friday 29th Jun 2012 at 11:47

That's what they said about the original 3DS,I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

23. TwoDaysAgo Saturday 30th Jun 2012 at 14:29

No plans in near future for more 3DS models

Good, I'm broke...

24. 1kipper Sunday 1st Jul 2012 at 11:38

Im so glad theyre releasing an XL version I have all the DS,s & the XL is my favourite even over the 3DS which I hardly use (because its too small) except for streetpass or 3D games. I hope its released in metallic colours & not the boring matt ones. Think I must be the only person who dislikes using the circle pad I find my thumb gets sore when I use it. :oops: Much prefer good old fashioned buttons :lol:

25. Darklord101 Sunday 1st Jul 2012 at 15:31

No plans in the 'near' future = a new model in a couple of years time (the lack of the second circle pad is very suspicious.)
    I'm only going to buy a new model of a 3ds if my old one is broken or if the new model has something better to offer e.g. a second circle pad or a 3dsi.

26. Dyrk Monday 2nd Jul 2012 at 18:59

When I saw the original 3DS, I thought... why didn't Nintendo just make a DSi XL size 3D console? Well, here it is, what seems like such a short time since the launch of the first 3DS!

27. Connor Lamb Sunday 25th Aug 2013 at 15:09

Perhaps a 3DS (XL) that has a better camera then the 0.3 megapixels outer cameras, and the VAG inner camera. Apart from that (and a couple apps I'd like to see in the e-shop but that's for a different thread), got nothing for Nintendo.

28. toffeeman30 Tuesday 27th Aug 2013 at 12:21

just read an article that nintendo to target 5m 3ds sales goal for japan this year. maybe a few more models in the pipeline to boost sales?