New Super Mario Bros 2: A surefire 3DS smash

Midas Mario goes for gold in the richest Mario title to date

Whether or not Nintendo is aware of the irony in creating a Mario sequel in which the plumber possesses "the power to monetise anything and everything", you'd have to admit that New Super Mario Bros 2 has a doozy of a hook.

Though you're tasked with saving perennial kidnapee, Princess Peach, once more, Mario's other objective is a little less altruistically motivated. His quest? To collect a cool million coins, no less.

That would take an inordinate amount of time in any other Mario game, but not here. Bounce on musical note platforms and you'll produce a cascade of coins. Lob a shell into a group of brick blocks, and dozens of glimmering discs will appear. Chuck fireballs into a pipe and they'll magically emerge as a sparkling shower of gold.

In a nod to Super Mario 3D Land, there's even a moment in which Mario gets his noggin stuck in a block. While that was used as a cheeky sight gag in the older game, here the cash-spitting brick represents a handy way of topping up your total. If that wasn't enough, a golden fire flower enables you to throw balls of flame that turn every Goomba, Koopa and brick they touch into coins.

Au Coin-traire

It's a smart, compelling way to further differentiate the game from New Super Mario Bros U, but there are other fresh features besides. Coin Rush mode gives you just a single life to complete three courses, chosen at random from stage clusters graded by difficulty level.

The object here is to collect as many coins as possible while completing this trio of courses, at which point you can save your score as StreetPass data in order to challenge other 3DS owners when you're out and about. Download their data on your return and you'll get to play the same levels, while their ever-present coin tally adds extra pressure.

It's a really neat idea that plays on the naturally competitive streak that lurks within the breast of every single gamer, encouraging replay value and making it much easier to reach that all-important million-coin marker.

That, and the ability to play the entire campaign cooperatively, should make this another surefire 3DS smash for Nintendo. In which case, the publisher is most likely to hit that colossal tally well before any of its players do.

Loading video...

New Super Mario Bros 2 will be released in the UK on 17 August

Comments

1. Yaldabaoth Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 08:59

This seems to be an actual change of pace for the NSMB games, mainly due to the edition of the appealing coin rush mode, although I have to say I won't be purchasing this for a while as there are many other games out that I would prefer to get, such as the Last Story.

2. toffeeman30 Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 12:06

coin rush is not a mission for me. chasing coins like its the gold rush in a spaghetti western is not much of a task.

3. chazrinelli Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 13:24

It looks dull n play on the original and I'm bored of the NSMB series, just my opinion.

4. Herbert_Rarr Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 14:30

This is exactly the same article as in the magazine.

5. Komodo_Wolfgang Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 17:17

Likewise,

I also dont see what makes it a 'surefire hit' >.>

6. SonyX Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 17:49

thanks nintendo now i can add this to the list of 3ds games that i really want but cant afford!

7. Targey Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 18:39

Lets see here:

- First part of the level is ripped straight from World 1-1 from Super Mario Bros. 3.
    - An ice world background ripped straight from Super Mario World.
    - Most other backgrounds and aesthetics borrowed from other Mario games.
    - STILL using the SMB flag-pole to signify the end of the level. Surprised they haven't tried using SMW's end gate yet.
    - Same/similar music as from previous games in the series, which is excusable for the title screen (the original Super Mario Bros games, particularly in All-Stars, did this), but not for everything else.

Thanks, Nintendo. Now I can definitely add this to the list of 3DS games I can afford, but really don't want!

8. Herbert_Rarr Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 18:40

I kind of want this game, but then kind of don't.
    I'm not a big fan of Mario games, but I do find them enjoyable. The thing I find lacking in them is the re-play value: once you've played through all the levels, it kind of gets dull with only the urge to own the last star coin making you want to do it again. The thing I hate the most about this is the fact that it forces you to go through the levels you hate the most over and over again, searching every nook and cranny to find those illusive star coins. Apart from this, there isn't much compelling you to play the game again once you've completed it.
    But in this new game, I can imagine it being a lot more fun. With all those coins bouncing around the place begging to be picked up, the experience of re-playing certain levels and taking different routes to see what sort of massive cache of gold disks lies around that unexplored corner will be a much better one. And it will be a lot easier to reach that 99 life milestone that every Mario gamer strives to reach before they can call themselves a pro, meaning that the prospect of taking a possible life-costing risk of jumping to that hard-to-reach platform becomes less scary, with all those extra lives stashed away.
    I might buy this game if I wasn't already saving for a Wii U (with accessories), Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Nintendo Land, two Remote Pluses and Nunchucks (maybe three), an eShop and an iTunes voucher, new headphones, and still keep some money aside for whenever Mario Kart Wii U and Super Smash Bros. 4 come out.

9. Commandervideo Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 18:59

NSMB2 I can afford and will buy :b

Coin rush will add infinite replay value, but I'd rather have a level editor than DLC

10. noelnen Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 19:37

I love Mario games, but I wish they would change the look of the games a bit.
    They don't have to change the gameplay, just play around with the style.
    The old Mario games were all similar, but they all had their own distinctive look.
    And they should bring back some old enemies like shy guys and birdos instead
    of just goombas and koopa troopas.And why don't they use Donkey Kong or Wart as
    a villain for a change instead of Bowser.

11. Wiison Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 19:39

I'll definetly buy this because i'm a Mario fan, but I must say this addition to the series doesn't really offer anything new. Collecting tons of coins is something that isn't necessarily exciting or innovative. It'll be a great game for the quality of the gameplay alone, but I think it's time Nintendo mixed it up just a bit. I enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy so much because they offered something very different from the Mario games before them. Personally i'm looking forward to the next Paper Mario more :)

12. Wiison Monday 16th Jul 2012 at 19:41

And they should bring back some old enemies like shy guys and birdos instead
    of just goombas and koopa troopas.And why don't they use Donkey Kong or Wart as
    a villain for a change instead of Bowser.

Thats a great point :) And why don't they use my avatar more often :lol:

13. Quantum Raven Tuesday 17th Jul 2012 at 13:00

This looks tobe the best in the series so far, colecting those 1,000,000 coins looks like it will take a while and it's the first Nintendo developed blockbuster title to be released this year! I really want to get it and as a result it's release on 17th August can't come soon enough

14. Pyron12 Tuesday 17th Jul 2012 at 15:10

The NSMB series is going a bit too far. Nintendo need something like SM3DL to spice things up a bit. Why wasn't the 3D Land map like the NSMB maps with lots of levels.

15. cheatmaster30 Tuesday 17th Jul 2012 at 22:03

I personally think New Super Mario Bros 2 looks pretty cool. Sure it's not the most original idea for a game ever, but come on, originality is really overrated in video games. There's a reason people buy sequels and that's because most people do want more of the same.

Besides, this game does generally have all new resources bar music. All the backgrounds and foregrounds are technically new (don't look it, but compare them to those from New Super Mario Bros DS and Wii and there's a very clear difference), many enemies and gimmicks are new, the level designs are new, many of the items are new (except the coin block Mario wears).

And yes, I think it'll definitely be a massive success commercially.

16. Wiison Wednesday 18th Jul 2012 at 08:44

You're right. For instance Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one of my favorite video games of all time and it's hardly any different to the original :) Anyway you mentioned all the new features in this game, there's actually quite a lot! Overall in terms of gameplay it needs to be the same so that it's still a Mario game, so I also agree when you said originality is overrated in video games 8) I'm looking forward to this game more now :)

17. sciqueen Wednesday 18th Jul 2012 at 11:45

I will be buying this because I love Mario platformers but I'm fed up of the 'NEW Super Mario Bros' (the art style isn't visually appealing like the old games)

18. NSMB23DS Thursday 19th Jul 2012 at 00:58

NSMB2 I can afford and will buy :b

I TOTALLY agree with every single word you said, including the "afford and buy" part 8)

19. pokemonboy Friday 20th Jul 2012 at 15:49

i cant wait for this game to come out i'm going to get 1 million as soon as possible my aim it to get 1 million in a week

20. NSMB23DS Monday 23rd Jul 2012 at 00:04

Have I got something to tell you. :twisted: NSMB2 has co-op multiplayer throughout the enetire game and remember NSMB for the DS? Multiplayer on LIMITED STAGES is beyond belieffor that title. I am not trying to belittle SM Galaxy or SM Sunshine (ESPECIALY not Sunshine. First games in Zelda and Mario(Kart) on Gamecube). SO. to sum up my answer to your statement:

:roll:

21. Wiison Monday 23rd Jul 2012 at 15:29

NSMB23DS you clearly didn't read my later comment:

Anyway, my original statement only meant that this title isn't the most innovative of the series. I'm a huge Mario fan so i'm looking forward to this no matter what! As long as the core elements of the game are high quality (Gameplay, Controls, Replay Value), then it'll be a winner, like most Mario games :)

22. Link9427 Sunday 5th Aug 2012 at 16:18

I personally really like the sound of the Coin Rush, becauseit would give me something to do if I'm just bored, also the game in itself looks really good, and entertaining so I definatly will be buying this when it comes out. :)

23. RainbowNinja7x Sunday 26th Aug 2012 at 18:32

The review in ONM confirmed what I expected... the Mario games as a whole aren't exactly getting worse, just less imaginative as they go on, meaning they become gradually less fun to play. I got Super Mario 3D Land when it came out and asides from it being too easy for most of the game, I still enjoy playing it now and again, but not one single level sticks in my mind when I remember playing it all the time, unlike the Galaxy games, from which I remember several standout moments. I'm no millionaire games developer but I think a bigger gap between games for more time to work on the things people will remember is needed... And the names these days?! 3D Land was nowhere near as catchy as Galaxy, Sunshine and even 64. Mario Kart 7 ignored the arcade versions of the game, and they had no reason not to call the game 'Mario Kart 3DS/3D'. The fact that they put a 2 at the end of the new game while another sequel is being developed (and there have already been two Super Mario Bros. games released; they could have at least made it a little simpler and called it 'New Super Mario Bros. DS 2') made me wonder who on earth actually names the new games. And Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon? Don't even get me started...

24. Luke Hayes Saturday 23rd Feb 2013 at 15:25