Borderlands 2 could be headed to Wii U

Gearbox taking a "wait and see approach" to future port

Oh me oh my. Borderlands 2 looks good. Really good. So good that we've been shedding tears over broken, loot-based dreams since we realised that we might never see it on our shiny, new Wii Us. But all is not lost! Gearbox co-founder Brian Martel has been extolling the upcoming console's virtues and putting all kinds of delightful ideas in our heads regarding a possible future for the FPS-RPG hybrid on a Nintendo platform.

"We really like the Wii U, I think it's a really cool platform. I like what they're doing - obviously with the touchscreen.", said Martel during a preview session with Dealspwn. "So we're really excited to bring Aliens: Colonial Marines to it. And we're going to do a wait and see approach, our publisher 2K is going to see whether they're going to go with that."

Martel seems to have been reading our fevered minds, too, as he talked about what could be done with the extra help of a touchscreen controller: "If Borderlands 2 was on the Wii U, the thing I would be most excited about is inventory management: it would be amazing on that, it would just be fantastic. And I think the artwork would look really good, with the way they can deal with the resolutions and textures, I think it's a really good console."

Now we could say something else clever about how the game could work, what the GamePad could achieve with such a massively diverse loot and inventory system or how Borderlands is a Wii U-perfect mix of hardcore RPG elements and casual run-and-gun-fun but what we've settled on is one word that sums up all of our feelings on the subject.

Please.

Comments

1. Tamzily01 Tuesday 17th Jul 2012 at 11:24

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Squee...IF THIS HAPPENS IT WILL SIMPLY BE AMAZING! The Wii U Gamepad has so much potential when it comes to inventories. We've already seen this from gameplay of Arkham City. It could also provide functions such as a minimap of the area you're currently in (showing teammate's locations in co-op mode, as well as other places of interest) and quest management.

2. 5OUNDWAVE Tuesday 17th Jul 2012 at 13:56

WHY WOULD U WANT THIS IF U HAVE ALIEN'S CM - THE FIRST ONE WAS VERY BLAND - DON'T EXPECT THIS TO BE ANY BETTER :oops:

3. MarioWalrus Tuesday 17th Jul 2012 at 15:05

This is very good news. I will buy this on PC though as my friends will :x but if they decide to delay release on the wii U version and add stuff then it will be a must have purchase. I think it has the potential to be one of the best 3rd party games in the consoles first 6 months.

4. trigo Tuesday 17th Jul 2012 at 17:24

this game looks and sounds really good. the wiii u gamepad has so much potential. i even heard that the xbox 720 may also be trying to create a sort of gamepad. i really hope this game does come to the wii u it will be great.

5. hamzahdsi Tuesday 17th Jul 2012 at 17:25

Hmm, interesting. Gives me a reason to buy a WiiU.

6. pokemaster Wednesday 18th Jul 2012 at 07:56

I liked the first, but it didn't blow me away. From what I have heard and seen this is looking better, so hopefully will see it on Wii U at some point. Still waiting for BioShock Infinite to be announced for the Wii U, hey we can dream can't we? :)

7. Donkey Kong Jr. Wednesday 18th Jul 2012 at 18:30

would buy a wii u for this

8. bigterence Thursday 19th Jul 2012 at 07:54

Leave these boring,made-for-kids FPS on Xbox or PS.The more discerning Nintendo user will not miss them.

9. marioman77 Thursday 19th Jul 2012 at 16:27

No go away

10. Shmilly Thursday 19th Jul 2012 at 22:17

This is by far my most anticipated game of the entire year, I absolutely loved the first one and I'm still playing it now. I can't wait for my Ultimate Loot Chest to arrive in September! As for Nintendo-only fans, I hope they get a chance to play this eventually because it's a fantastic blend of RPG and bazillions of guns. With 96.5% more wub-wub.

11. Shmilly Friday 20th Jul 2012 at 00:40

Quote: "Made for kids". It's an 18-rated game. -ahem-

12. BB23 Saturday 21st Jul 2012 at 19:03

If this were to come to Wii U, then Nintendo would be laughing, hugely anticipated and widely regarded.